Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,869,771 Views | 38700 Replies | Last: 12 min ago by SLCag
Quantum ace
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I like the Van Winkle 10 better than the 12 yr old lot b. The 12 is still very enjoyable, but nothing that really stands out.

I have only had the 20 and 23 a couple times, but the 15 is my favorite out of the Pappy Van Winkle line.
aggiemike89
AG
I was out and about and happened upon a bottle of the Parkers Heritage finished in the cognac barrels(blue label). I've seen a lot of great reviews of this but never had it. Anybody on here had it? What can I expect when I open it later in the week? Give me some of your opinions.
JohnnyShotgun
Finally opened up and tried my Four Roses Small Batch for the first time tonight. I had it with one ice cube and it was very tasty. The nose was light and sweet, and the first sip tasted of warm honey, vanilla and oak. The finish was spicy with a little bit of burn to me, but nothing overwhelming. The second was exactly the same as the first, and now I'm working on the third! All in all a great buy and can't wait to get to the middle of the bottle to see if it changes any.
FlyFish95

ham98
Anyone try Jefferson reserve 21? I bought a bottle to share with a friend who shared some Pappy 20 with me
joshwayne330
@ aggiemike89 - You are going to Love it. That is a great find! Most retailers receive very small quantites and I haven't seen it in well over a year. The cognac finish brings out rum on the nose and if I recall correctly, toffee on the palate. Enjoy...
joshwayne330
@ ham98 - I haven't tried it yet, but it is most likely Heaven Hill juice. This bourbon is not a wheater like PVW 20 and the previous Jefferson Presidental 17 and 18 years. You are probably going to get a fair amount of wood and a dry lighter finish due to the lower proof. I probably won't buy a bottle, but would like to give it a try!
Señor Chang
AG
Just saw this page. Very cool! (disclaimer: not all bourbon)

http://www.jays.org.uk/Whisky%20misc/Whisky%20misc%20index.html
Atty_Ag
I just dropped a stupid amount of money to buy one of the first edition Garrison Brothers four year old Cowboy Bourbons in the limited edition box. It's kind of a souvenir and capital raising device for them. I'm not opening it, but did try the four year old stuff last time I was out there. If any other Garrison folks were wanting one, you can find them at the Costco in Selma and Austin. I think Spec's has a few. There are only 600 bottles. They will begin releasing their four year old bourbon in 2015.

[This message has been edited by Atty_Ag (edited 5/9/2013 12:27p).]
Quantum ace
AG
If you ever see the Dulce Vida Anejo Lone Star Edition tequila aged in Garrison Brothers used barrels, buy it. I dont know what to compare it to, but its freaking amazing.
Atty_Ag
Yes, it's very different. And delicious. We sampled it at the last bottling. I have a bottle I bought in Hye.
proudaggie02
AG
There's a relatively new restaurant in Denver called Southern Hospitality. I went there for lunch yesterday, and I counted 90 bourbons on their bourbon list. Some of the better ones were Van Winkle (10, 12, and Rye), William Larue Weller, Hancocks, EH Taylor Tornado Survivor, and all the good "B" bourbons (Blantons, Booker, etc.).

I look forward to going back when I can try a couple new bourbons. Oh yeah, I got a sandwich with brisket, pulled pork, bacon, cheese, and pickles. Awesome.
jobu93
AG
I got the email from Garrison about the Cowboy. I'm going to pass primarily due to t he price tag.

ClickClack
AG
Sipping on some Larceny right now
Quantum ace
AG
I recently went to a bourbon tasting that included a handful of private barrel selections.

Now I feel like buying anything else would be a waste, until I am on a first name basis with Julian, Jim Rutledge, and can scrape together nine or ten grand for a halfway decent barrel.
aggiemike89
AG
I found a bottle of EH Taylor "Tornado Warehouse C" yesterday at a local store. What can I expect? Anybody here had this yet? I've read some mixed reviews.
joshwayne330
@ aggiemike89 - It is the best offering (so far) in the EH Taylor series - Good find, as it is not made anymore and harder to find laying around. I am sure you know the back story and that the bourbon is between 9-11 years old. I thought the MSRP of $75 was a little high. I would have been willing to pay in the $50 range. I have tried it once, but never opted to purchase an entire bottle when it was released. Enjoy

aggiemike89
AG
Thanks joshwayne. I'm going to pop it open tonight and give it a try. Yes I know the backstory on it. Interesting story. Not sure how much is marketing and how much it matters in the actual profile of the juice.
Señor Chang
AG
I saw that Pappy van Winkle isn't releasing anything this Spring, so they can have a larger fall release.

When are the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection bourbons usually released? I'd like to track those down.
jelfag06
AG
Bought Garrison Brothers four year old Cowboy Bourbon this weekend while we were in Fredericksburg this weekend. We also did the distillery tour in Hye.. very impressed with their product and attention to detail!
FishrCoAg
AG
Larceny is very good, IMO. Especially for the price of a 1.75.
TexasRebel
GregZeppelin
AG
That really says it all Rebel.
Quantum ace
AG
It looks like BT is discontinuing Old Charter 10 year old. There should be some in the distribution pipeline for a while, but I know it is already tough to find in some areas.
tx4guns
AG
Finally found some Rock Hill bourbon today. This stuff is heavenly. Very smooth and sweet, lots of vanilla flavor. Made from the same mash as Blantons, but rotated in locations, whereas Blantons is kept in one place. If you can find it, buy it!
Ducks4brkfast
AG
You ****ting me Quantum? One of my favorite bourbons!
Quantum ace
AG
I'm afraid not. Its already been removed from the Buffalo Trace websites.
http://greatbourbon.com/great-bourbons
https://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/brands/old-charter
There is a thread about it on Straight Bourbon
http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?20107-Ancient-Ancient-Age-and-Charter-10-to-be-discontinued

The store around the corner from me has a few 750ml for $22, and 1.75 for $41. A little high, but I don't see it on the shelf all that often.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
The liquor store on my way home from work carries it just for me. Looks like I need to go buy them out.
joshwayne330
Just something to consider once OC 10 isn't available anymore. I think there is a strong resemblance with OC 10 and Eagle Rare 10 year Single Barrel. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that OC10 was basically the same juice, but didn't make the cut for the Eagle Rare.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Same mashbill so probably right, however I wouldn't be surprised to find OC being Stagg that didn't make the cut and ER being OC that don't make the cut, etc

Also, I'm good for about a handle of OC a week, so having to do same with ER would get kinda spendy. May as well start drinking scotch!
proudaggie02
AG
quote:
May as well start drinking scotch!

Nooo! That would mean you're getting really old & have lost your taste buds.
FlyFish95
I don't understand why Garrison Brothers is so expensive? You can get some really, really good stuff for less that half of what that costs.
Atty_Ag
I asked Dan that very question. His answer was that it costs him about $15 per bottle for all his costs. The rest is pretty well doubled at each stop on the distribution chain until it gets to retail at $65-$85 per bottle.

He's a small producer, so there are fewer bottles to recoup costs. He had a huge amount of overhead in building his setup, which was not cheap at all since he wanted to buy the best equipment he could in order to truly make Bourbon, not just import it from Kentucky and slap a Texas label on it. His desire is to keep it a premium brand and never produce as much as he could, so I would think it'll never drop below $50-$60.

There are obvious places he could reduce some overhead, such as the level of glass/type of bottle and the deerskin pull. I'd disagree with him on some of his choices, but it's his name on the bottle. I have had several conversations with his master distiller, Donnis Todd, on where the distillery is heading. The goal is to keep it a premium brand, introduce some special recipe items annually, continue to do the four year old Cowboy Bourbon starting in 2015 as their ultrapremium, and hope they don't go broke.

We really want this guy to succeed so in ten years we can look back and see other distilleries follow. Part of Garrison's kick is the Texas hook, but it's just the marketing gloss for someone who really does want to make premium bourbon.

[This message has been edited by Atty_Ag (edited 6/7/2013 1:47p).]
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Garrison Bros is headed for bankruptcy. Nobody I know buys their bourbon and you can't continue selling $20 bourbon for $50-$60+.
FlyFish95
Every time I see it in the store it's $75/bottle.
First Page Last Page
Page 21 of 1106

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.