Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,857,346 Views | 38598 Replies | Last: 33 min ago by ryeguy
Ringo88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
On my bourbon campout tonight. 4th in line. Came to get George T. Stagg as its in such short supply this year. Thought I was choosing it over Pappy 15, but now looks like I have a shot at another bottle of 20.
Thoughts on which one to pick from those of you who have had both this year?
plowboy1065
S
You're a trooper, I'd never camp out for any bourbon
BeardofZeus01
AG
between Stagg and Pappy 20? Stagg has always been a personal favorite of mine, so I'd take Stagg. And Pappy has never lived up to the lore for me.

Edit to say I haven't had either one of this year's releases (but have gotten a bottle of Stagg every year since 2009), so maybe just ignore my advice all together.
tx4guns
AG
Get the pappy 20 and trade it for a Stagg and eagle rare 17.
FriedTex
AG
If you want to drink it - stagg

If you want to flip it, pappy obviously
FlyFish95
quote:
Get the pappy 20 and trade it for a Stagg and eagle rare 17.

Exactly.
dmart90
AG
First, if you are ever in Washington DC, I highly recommend the Jack Rose Dining Saloon - they have one *hell* of a whiskey selection. Their whiskey book has about 15 pages of bourbon. Pretty steep for the good stuff - $95/oz for 23 yo Pappy. But, if you want it, they appear to have it.

Second, had a 1 oz pour of the Four Roses 2015 Limited Edition for $18.

Holy.
Mother.
of.
God!

That stuff is really, really, really, I mean REALLY damn tasty!
joshwayne330
Same story. Just another year. It's not changing for the better anytime soon. Just drink what's in your bunker.
SouthTexasAg06
AG
Appreciate all the offers to get Blantons, stopped by a small store on my way home and was able to score one! Still crazy out there, good luck to everyone on their hunts
Daytona22
AG
I was just talking to my mother in law about this place about how I needed to go try it out. Might make it over there tonight.

Good luck with everyone on the hunt. I've basically given up for the most part. Have a couple places that might get a bottle which they said they would call me for. Still have my fingers crossed.
FlyFish95
You know sh*t has gotten crazy when people are hunting for Blantons.
Ringo88
AG
I pushed past the urge and remained on target, happily walking out with the Stagg. Have heard its exceptional this year. Only one missing is ER 17; hopefully, next year's batch gets higher ratings.

Two campouts and a dozen shop relationships led to a very successful hunting season this year. Time to kick back and sample the winnings. Cheers.
dmart90
AG
quote:
I was just talking to my mother in law about this place about how I needed to go try it out. Might make it over there tonight.

Good luck with everyone on the hunt. I've basically given up for the most part. Have a couple places that might get a bottle which they said they would call me for. Still have my fingers crossed.

Did you go? What'd you get if so?
bigevent99
AG
Finally found an et lee and also scored a stagg jr. Along w a weller 12, not a bad trip to the inlaws. Maybe pappy one of these days...
aggiebq03+
Been overseas for the last few years, I can't believe when I open this thread what things people have to go out of their way to track down. Can remember as recently as 2012 being able to go to specs and just find some good stuff waiting to be purchased on the shelf.
the dude10
AG
Had a pretty successful afternoon yesterday. All of the BTAC and pappy I found was ridiculously overpriced. I did however score a FRSmB Ltd for $100 and 2 EH Taylor barrel proofs at $70. Both some of my absolute favorites.

That makes two of the FRSmB and 3 EH Taylor's I found this year while striking out on all the overpriced stuff. Also grabbed another bookers big man small batch and was interested to see an Evan Williams single barrel 2002 vintage still on the shelf in the store so I grabbed that too.

While in one store the buffalo trace distributor was there and we had a long conversation about the state of things. Ended up mentioning a few of the stores I saw that had 700-800% markups and he is eager to pass that info along to people to need to know.
youandwhosearmy
Was at the in laws for the holidays, and needed some alcohol to get through the rest of the weekend.

Small town liquor store had 12 bottles each of Elmer t Lee and weller antique on the shelve. Haven't seen that in a while, going to be required stop every time I visit now.
AggieChemist
AG
quote:
Was at the in laws for the holidays, and needed some alcohol to get through the rest of the weekend.

Small town liquor store had 12 bottles each of Elmer t Lee and weller antique on the shelve. Haven't seen that in a while, going to be required stop every time I visit now.

Should have bought them all...
Marauder Blue 6
AG
I apologize if this has already been mentioned. I haven't checked all the recent pages on this thread. I have no idea how legit this is but I found this tonight while goofing off on Twitter. It's either a real drawing or just a way for them to build up their mailing list. You don't have to use my referral link if you don't want to but it might be a way to get your hands on some Pappy 23. I entered to see what happens.

pappy.distillerslist.com/?ref=4c51610e56

youandwhosearmy
Weird enough looks when I bought 2 of each.
GregZeppelin
AG
Going to stay with a friend this weekend who is a bourbon fan, and I want to take him a Texas bourbon as a thank you/Christmas gift.

I've had garrison brothers once and wasn't particularly impressed, but if that's the best Texas has to offer I'll grab a bottle. He'll appreciate it as something he can't get in Kentucky.

Quiestion 1: Is it worth the extra $30 for the cowboy version?

Question 2: is there another Texas bourbon worth its salt that i should get instead?
austinag1997
AG
I have spent way too much on Texas bourbon... I wind up using all of it for BBQ or marinade. Not trying to rain on your idea, but just pick one, and I wouldn't spend an extra dollar on any of it. At least the GB has a hand-signed bottle, or it used to.

Full disclosure... I have not tried Rebecca Creek based on my previous experiences.

I really wish things were different with Texas bourbon.
FlyFish95
Rebecca Creek is the Glenlivet is bourbon.
FlyFish95
quote:
Going to stay with a friend this weekend who is a bourbon fan, and I want to take him a Texas bourbon as a thank you/Christmas gift.

I've had garrison brothers once and wasn't particularly impressed, but if that's the best Texas has to offer I'll grab a bottle. He'll appreciate it as something he can't get in Kentucky.

Quiestion 1: Is it worth the extra $30 for the cowboy version?

Question 2: is there another Texas bourbon worth its salt that i should get instead?

If you want to take him something unique from Texas, take him something from Balcones. I'll suggest the Single Malt or True Blue.
tx4guns
AG
I second what DryFly said about Balcones, but take him Balcones Rumble. It's really enjoyable. Not a bourbon, but just tasty.
Daytona22
AG
Ended up going with the Old Forester Birthday Bourbon. Was a nice pour, but we didn't get to stay too long. That place is really nice though. Talk about a huge bourbon list. Will have to frequent it the next time I am in town.
BeardofZeus01
AG
While I don't think it's as good for my taste as some Ketucky and Tennessee offerings, I've found that I prefer Garrison to all other Texas bourbons. And I've gone through bottles of Balcones, TX (Firestone & Robertson), Rebecca Creek, Silver Star, Witherspoons and Yellow Rose. The other neat thing about Garrison IMO, is that they source from and produce/bottle everything in Texas ... so a true Texas bourbon by my standards.
tx4guns
AG
Garrison is also straight bourbon, which most Texas bourbons are not. Most of them are sourced grain alcohol and just bottled here, so calling them a Texas product is kinda shady if you ask me.
BeardofZeus01
AG
absolutely correct. many like TX and Rebecca Creek are blends more on par with the likes of Crown, Forty Creek and other similar blended Canadian whiskies (not that there's anything wrong with them either). As I understand it, they are only required to use 51% straight bourbon and the remainder of the bottle can be whatever else they choose to add ... additives, coloring, neutral spirits, etc. Without research, it's hard to know if you're getting something produced in Texas vs just bottled here.
Post removed:
by user
Stan Crowch
AG
Picked up some ER10, baby saz and Bookers uncut at Costco on bunker hill...they had plenty of all three
The Silverback
AG
look what I just scored....

[url=http://s255.photobucket.com/user/mvanber4/media/Pappy_zpsdnlqnqte.jpg.html][/url]
tx4guns
AG
Is it full with the tax stamp intact? You might want to read up on lead levels in ceramic decanters before you drink it.
TexasRebel
AG
Says porcelain.

The Silverback
AG
Yessir, unopened with tax stamp. Believe it is 1971, probably paid way too much but should be a good investment long term
First Page Last Page
Page 131 of 1103

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.