Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,747,975 Views | 37521 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by tu ag
Ringo88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They're all good. I would choose the fourth "oven" release last, but I still have a full set of them.
Ringo88
AG
BTW, I'm currently camping in 50 degree blowing rain in Alabama awaiting the state allocation release tomorrow morning. Looking good for a decent haul.
joshwayne330
Haven't checked into this thread in what feels like an eternity. I am still the only one mixing crown and Coke as the daily pour?? And is Pappy still Stitzel Weller?
aggiemike89
AG
Wondering where you've been joshwayne. Haven't heard from you in while. We need your bourbon wisdom.
Señor Chang
AG
quote:
BTW, I'm currently camping in 50 degree blowing rain in Alabama awaiting the state allocation release tomorrow morning. Looking good for a decent haul.

How does this work? Just curious.
joshwayne330
I am going to try to pop in more often. Got involved with a barrel picking group and it consumed what little free time I had.
aggiemike89
AG
With whom? HH? FR?
joshwayne330
It's with a group of about 70 guys located throughout the US - High West X 2, Four Roses X 5, Smooth Ambler X 3, Wild Turkey X 3. No time to chase or drink the Pappiezz.
Ringo88
AG
Senor,
First come, first served. Folks started camping Friday morning. This morning was like Christmas.
FriedTex
AG
So what was in your haul?
joshwayne330
I saw a drive by home video of guys camping out at the store in Alabama. Wasn't each person allocated 1 bottle? That's just crazy and I bet less than 20% of the bottles get opened by the guys who waited in line.
BSD
AG
Question from a wine/beer guy who doesnt drink anymore so please excuse the newb-ness: When does Pappy hit Texas? I realize the allocations will be tight but I have to at least try to score a bottle for an old friend. Whether or not it happens is no big deal but I at least have to try.
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
Question from a wine/beer guy who doesnt drink anymore so please excuse the newb-ness: When does Pappy hit Texas? I realize the allocations will be tight but I have to at least try to score a bottle for an old friend. Whether or not it happens is no big deal but I at least have to try.
IIRC generally the week before T-day. but I may be off a week.
htxag09
AG
What are you looking for? If any of the antique collection will do I'll trade you for some wine....
BSD
AG
Thanks, Icecream. I'll start contacting my old shops now.

htxag, funny you should mention that. The person this is for is actually a winemaker in Napa. A very good winemaker, at that. He does trade from time to time but I am just going to give him a bottle of Pappy if I find one.
tfunk02
AG
quote:

I was the 1st to report a bottle found in TX last year on a Bourbon blog. I found mine on Halloween, but that is really early. From reports, it is working its way West now. Be on the lookout everywhere! I found my 3 bottles sitting on a shelf in a asian mom and pop liquor store. They had no idea what they had.
htxag09
AG
K. Unfortunately I only have 1 unopened bottle of pappy 20 and am not ready to part with it yet. But if you can't find anything I have a decent haul of the last two years buffalo trace antique collection. If one of those will work we can work something out since you've helped me so much in my wine education

Also, if you follow Houston wine merchant on social media they'll announce when they get their pappy in. They usually have a decent sized event and have a raffle to buy them.
BSD
AG
good info fellas.

htxag, thanks. I'll keep my eyes out on Houston Wine Merchant. As far as trading, I'll ask if he has a need. I just want to find him a bottle since he got me an extra allocation of a nice wine.

P.S. wine education is always free of charge. I just wish I could drink with all that I've talked to about the subject.
austinag1997
AG
I am told it is currently in warehouse, and is being parced out for distribution. Whoever is in charge is determining which stores get what.
Ringo88
AG
Sorry I didn't give more reports from the Alabama allocation; I was spending my time trying to stay warm and dry.
Overall, great experience. Big, well-publicized event over there. Earliest in line started their camp-out on Friday for the Monday release. It is true that, based on supply, only one bottle per person of Pappy or BTAC was allowed. However, I had never seen so much Pappy and BTAC in one place (armed personnel, by the way) and the first 70 or so people all left with something ending in Van Winkle. Along with that bottle, there were quite a number of "also's" you could pick up, including Craig 23, Craig 18, Elmer T. Lee, Parkers Malt, Buffalo Trace Experimental, Single Oak, all of the Weller line, every other "special edition" you could think of. They even had a few A.H. Hirsch 16's for sale at $1,499.99 if you just happened to want to spend the money. And absolutely no mark-ups. Pappy 23 went for $249.99, and Pappy 20 for $149.99. There wasn't a ton of those two expressions this year, obviously, but enough for the first 10 or so in line.
aad03
AG
Suntory Hibiki and Yamazaki 12 in stock at Specs on S Mason Rd in Katy. I bought 2 of each, they still had 3 or 4 of each, but they said it's going fast.
Class of '03
BackwardsInBoots
AG
Out of curiosity, how much does that run in America? Curious to how it compares to Japan.
aad03
AG
About $65 for the Hibiki, $87 for the Yamazaki 12.
Class of '03
tx4guns
AG
I know where some Yamazaki 18 and Hibiki 21 are if anyone needs one. PM me. Not gonna post it.
jsn1986
AG
The Yamazaki 18 is awesome. ALMOST worth the $250 I've usually seen it going for. Hard to fork over that kind of coin.
BSD
AG
I was at Specs today buying vintage port and asked the guy when they'd see Pappy. He said they weren't getting any at all. I laughed, as I've played this game many times on the wine side. I'm sure had I bought that case of 2009 Lafite Rothschild I've been eyeing they would have found a way to get me a bottle.
plowboy1065
S
Specs goes on a point system from what I'm told. Doesn't matter how expensive you purchase, but the frequency. Manager at Cypress Specs said he had a buyer that came in twice a week and bought the cheapest liquor and a liter of Coke and would give it away. He ended up getting a call for Pappy 23
aad03
AG
I'm not a fan of wheated bourbons, but I've had a few bottles of Pappy in the past, when the 20 was going for $100. I think there are better bourbons in the $50-100 range, that are much easier to find. I'm a fan of the higher end Wild Turkeys and Four Roses, especially the limited edition/commemorative bottlings. The dude at Spec's told me they haven't gotten the Pappy yet, but there is a waiting list 2400 strong. Eff that. Anyone see the 2015 OF Birthday Bourbon? Or has that already come and gone this year?
Class of '03
tx4guns
AG
Came and gone. It's pretty good this year.
plowboy1065
S
May still be able to find OFBB. I ended up with two
htxag09
AG
Would you be up for a sell or trade?
plowboy1065
S
May trade for 1. PM me what you have
CrottyKid
AG
Guys are camping out at my local Liquor Barn in Lexington, Ky to get their hands on the Pappy delivery tomorrow.
aad03
AG
I love Liquor Barn, blows Specs away, IMO. I was in Lexington a couple weeks ago at Liquor Barn near Palomar Centre, and the guy was telling me how people would camp out for Pappy. Then he tried to sell me on some Bow and Blade, saying it's hard to find outside of Kentucky, but I didn't bite. Looks like a fad whiskey. Might be decent, but definitely overpriced. Anyone tried B&B bourbon?
Class of '03
Daytona22
AG
Anyone have a contact that has Parker's Heritage Promise of Hope? I know that it was released a few years ago, but have been able to find some just under secondary prices still on the shelves in some places around the US. Figured it's a long shot but I'd try. Have found one for $250 but thought I'd try here too.
First Page Last Page
Page 127 of 1073

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.