Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,833,851 Views | 38369 Replies | Last: 4 min ago by rca21978
steve00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
After a successful test with the THH, it looks like I'll have a nice set of BTAC glasses in a few months.

Señor Chang
AG
That's really cool. I tried doing that awhile back with some old Rogue bottles but could never get the glass to break evenly.
FriedTex
AG
Let's hear your process steve or did you just throw money around to have it professionally done?
steve00
AG
quote:
Let's hear your process steve or did you just throw money around to have it professionally done?

Bingo. I drink it, then it becomes a glass. That's all I need to know.
jsn1986
AG
quote:
quote:

Bingo. I drink it, then it becomes a glass. That's all I need to know.
I thought about buying a kit to do this a while back. Seems like a cool idea. What did it cost to get it cut, if you don't mind sharing.
steve00
AG
I don't actually know, but it looks like you can buy similar things online for about $12 each. Those are with the glass cutter providing the bottle. Since I provided the bottle. I'd assume it's a few bucks cheaper.
tfunk02
AG
Turning bottles into glasses...

Daytona22
AG
Not a bad haul. Thankfully my brother in law stumbled across these in Cali a couple weeks ago. Parkers Heritage 7th Edition

jsn1986
AG
quote:
Not a bad haul. Thankfully my brother in law stumbled across these in Cali a couple weeks ago. Parkers Heritage 7th Edition

FYI - PHC 9th will be an 8 year malt whiskey - 104 proof. 65% malted barley, 35% corn.
the dude10
AG
Saturday was a good score for me as well. Can't wait to get these open!
FlyFish95
You found a Handy on the shelf somewhere?
the dude10
AG
Yes I actually did. I overpaid, but I walked in and it was in the case just sitting there. But believe me, I paid for it. He wanted $250 for the handy. I ended up doing a combo with the AECS to get about 10% off each. Still overpaid but i was caught in a weak moment.
GregZeppelin
AG
Ran into two bottles of Van Winkles in Lexington, KY about a hour ago. An Old Rip Van Winkle 10, and a Van Winkle 12 Year Lot B.

Guy at the store had no idea what the prices were, said he'd have to call the owner to ask. It took about 20 minutes for him to get in touch with the owner and get prices. Turns out the guy wanted $350 for the 10, and $750 for the 12 year Lot B.

I said no thanks, and walked out the door. The whole damn world has gone crazy fr anything with the words Van and Winkle within 10 feet of the label.
plowboy1065
S
I'm in Vegas till Tuesday and saw a place that wanted $150 for a glass of Pappy 23. I had it in Houston for $28
tx4guns
AG
PVW23 for $28 a pour? 20 maybe, but not 23. If so, I'd like to know to know where that is.
plowboy1065
S
Perry's Steakhouse in Cinco Ranch
Mathguy64
AG
1/2 oz or 1 oz?
plowboy1065
S
1oz and this was on Dec. 20 as I took a picture of it because I had never seen 23 yr
tx4guns
AG
Party at Perry's!
bwynne13
AG
FriedTex
AG
Thanks for posting a picture of very average bourbon
GregZeppelin
AG
To be fair it does have above average packaging.
AggieChemist
AG
I still keep and drink 1792. It is what it is. You can't drink pappy and stagg every night. Well, I can't. And yes, there are other bourbons I like better than 1792, even at a lower price point. But I will forever remember the old man I used to fish with that always brought a bottle of 1792 with him. Sometimes a bourbon is more than the sum of its parts.
GregZeppelin
AG
I don't dislike 1792 at all. I generally keep a bottle as well, mostly because of it's premium packaging. It's not a bad bourbon by any measure. It's easy to find, it's good enough that I can enjoy it as a sipper, and it's very reasonably priced.

When I have friends over who aren't bourbon connoisseurs, I can reach right past the Stagg Jr., Col. Taylor, and Elmer T., and pour them a drink from the fancy looking 1792 bottle they're usually impressed. And after they take a few sips and say it's good but they'd rather add some coke to it, I don't have to mind.

I think the snarky responses have more to do with the fact that the image was posted without any sort of comment or discussion whatsoever.
schmellba99
AG
Anybody ever heard of Lock Stock and Barrel 13 year Rye (I'm far too lazy to go through this thread to see if has been discussed. If it has, deal with it)?

I saw a couple of bottles on the shelf yesterday and was A) wondering where it came from and B) wondering why it holds the price this place was asking for (about $160 per if I recall correctly).
Jimmy Valentine
Looks like it is sourced from Alberta Distilleries which is the same as Jefferson's 10 Year Old Rye. Which cost a whopping $32.99. Then again that is also the same source as Whistlepig 10 Year which I've seen close to $100.

Cool bottle though.
plowboy1065
S
Bourbon Bait & Switch
FriedTex
AG
Thoughts on Angels Envy Rye?
steve00
AG
quote:
Thoughts on Angels Envy Rye?

I like it for a change of pace. I have to be in the mood for it though. It smells like maple syrup and has a very sweet finish.
FriedTex
AG
I don't drink rye bourbons but I hear this isn't a typical rye
tx4guns
AG
Come again? Does not compute.

quote:
I don't drink rye bourbons but I hear this isn't a typical rye
tx4guns
AG
Angels Envy Rye is more of a dessert whiskey. I call it Creme Brulee in a bottle. Very good.
FriedTex
AG
i have never had it but have read that it's profile is different than a typical rye bourbon
tx4guns
AG
It's very different. The rum finish makes it very unique, and I hear there is about a gallon of dark rum in the barrels when they pour the rye in. You won't be disappointed.
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
i have never had it but have read that it's profile is different than a typical rye bourbon

I think his point was that it isn't a bourbon at all. But rather a straight rye whiskey. Either way, we knew what you meant.

And no it isn't typical rye whiskey because of the heavy rum influence, but it's pretty awesome in its own right. You won't be disappointed. A really great whiskey.

First Page Last Page
Page 114 of 1097

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.