Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

5,132,875 Views | 41257 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by LCE
FLATOUT
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thoughts on this one?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2pP84fb][/url]
Shaggie 05
AG
Been very tempted pickup some of their variations, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Macaulay Minton, the "bourbon swami", is the guy behind it. He was previously the guy in charge of the single barrel program at Wilderness Trail. He did a lot of blending while people were doing their picks, and more than a few times, those single barrel picks would turn into 2-3 barrel blends that were awesome. I sat in for a bit on a pick he was doing with Old Carter last year while we were there picking the Texags barrel.
FLATOUT
AG
Shaggie 05 said:

Been very tempted pickup some of their variations, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Macaulay Minton, the "bourbon swami", is the guy behind it. He was previously the guy in charge of the single barrel program at Wilderness Trail. He did a lot of blending while people were doing their picks, and more than a few times, those single barrel picks would turn into 2-3 barrel blends that were awesome. I sat in for a bit on a pick he was doing with Old Carter last year while we were there picking the Texags barrel.

Copy that. This one is a Specs barrel pick as well so we'll see how it drinks.
ConfidentAg
AG
Had some michter's rye last night. It was great.

Also had OF1920 and I hate to say it but I just don't think that OF is for me. Which is a shame because everyone else seems to love it.
HouseDivided06
AG
Have you had the 1910? It's my favorite iteration of OF other than Birthday Bourbon which is outstanding.
ConfidentAg
AG
Not a huge fan of a lot of oak flavor so I haven't tried it.
HouseDivided06
AG
I think 1910 is less oaky and very caramely. I love it.
ConfidentAg
AG
Gonna have to try it then!
Bulldog73
AG
How's Rio really? Local place has it for $120. I don't really see dropping that at all, but curious if that's a poor decision.
trouble
AG
I like it a lot but I'd rather not spend that on it.
Tom Cardy
AG
It's entirely dependent on whether you enjoy amburana finished bourbon. I don't, so for me it's a screaming no, but some people really dig it
Lonestar-aught-six
Scored a bottle of Bookers for Thursday when my son graduates from Texas A&M!
ConfidentAg
AG
Congrats!
Sazerac
AG
I hated it for bourbon
AgDev01
AG
The 1910 is double barreled. There is definitely some oak in it, especially in the finish, though not as much as other like bottles. it is also a lot sweeter than the 1920.
txag2k
AG
Congrats! I also grabbed one at Spec's too. Also got a McKenna 10 I paid too much for. Love MK10 but not as much at any price point above $45.
ConfidentAg
AG
I have this great whiskey bar by my house so I am pretty fortunate to be able to taste whatever I want before buying.

Almost wasted money on Elijah Craig. Turns out I don't like it at all.
txag2k
AG
I love 1920.
Aggie Therapist
AG
ConfidentAg said:

I have this great whiskey bar by my house so I am pretty fortunate to be able to taste whatever I want before buying.

Almost wasted money on Elijah Craig. Turns out I don't like it at all.

What Elijah Craig have you had?
ConfidentAg
AG
Small batch.

Tasted like I was chewing on tree bark
Aggie Therapist
AG
Well that's your problem right there.

Ain't no one here sippin a glen of Elijah Craig small batch.

Try their Barrel Proof releases and private barrel barrel proof releases. Also try EC18.
Tksymm7
AG
I took think EC is really strong on the oak, but no doubt try a Barrel Proof and then an 18 if you can get your hands on a pour. You'll probably still feel like you're chewing on bark, but it'll be much much better bark.
calebbogie
AG
Today's pick ups! Pretty excited to try both.
GarlandAg2012
AG
I'm not sure I agree with the advice to try EC 18 when someone thinks small batch is too okay. EC18 is quite an oak bomb imo.
Aggie Therapist
AG
Final product.

Thank you TexAgs, Shaggie05 and BrokeAssAggie.

Just enough detail but not overkill. That image space on the 4 Roses logo is small!
Aggie Therapist
AG
Honestly, we do some adjustments to this for a "long term image" and I'd buy a hat or t-shirt, or custom glens
BrokeAssAggie
Knob 12 is really good everyday pour
Shaggie 05
AG
we could easily widen the outer circle for some words and we'd have a great sticker or t-shirt image for sure.
calebbogie
AG
First time seeing it in my area since starting my collection. I'll probably crack it open tonight.
Fallisfun16
Sazerac
AG
Nice work on the logo, fellas

I had to hunt down KC12 a few years ago and mule back from NJ. Just didn't love it. Nor the 15.

Guess I only really like KC when it's high proof.

Their BP Rye is awesome also.
Science Denier
AG
trouble said:

I have a derby party to host this afternoon. Then baseball. Might as well start early.

Same here. It's my Woodford day. The one day per year I drink Woodford. My son makes the juleps.
LOL OLD
HouseDivided06
AG
FWIW, I have a honey hole that has KC12 all the time for cheap, so I have it on hand frequently. Doing a side by side with the 9 year 120 proof single barrel reserve, and the 12 year is SUPER oaky in comparison. It's still good but the flavor profile is entirely different. I am loving the 120 proof single barrel select and single barrel reserve. Fantastic for the money.
Science Denier
AG
rca21978 said:

Picked this up this afternoon - looked good. Anyone tried it? Comments?

I like it. Is that the Specs pick?
LOL OLD
rca21978
AG
Yes - was a Specs pick.
First Page Last Page
Page 1118 of 1179

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.