Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,681,020 Views | 62664 Replies | Last: 58 min ago by steve00
Kyle98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ulrich said:

Bulldog73 said:

So if I haven't been a fan of the typical IPAs, but enjoy Hefeweizen, pilz, and especially Kolsch, would it be worth it to try some of the Hazy IPAs?

I learned to like IPAs by going to a good craft beer bar and asking them to help me like IPAs. They had me shotgun the most bitter West Coast IPA they had, then do samples of less and less bitter IPAs, and finally drink a hazy IPA. Worked for me.

This is what I always suggest to friends who want to try to like IPAs.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I could definitely see that working.

I'd also say that IPAs can vary greatly, even within the hazy category. So if you've tried a couple, they may have been near the same profile and there may be other kinds of hazies out there for you. A lot of breweries are now listing all of the hops they use, others are listing more info on taste profile, some do both and give you a lot of info. I would try some varied options then drill down on what you like best.

Edit to add: I should've also mentioned ABV and malt character. You can have a 6% IPA with an old fashioned malt bill like Dogfish Head 60 minute, and it's gonna be very different from a 7.5% IPA with a lighter malt profile and different hops.
DaveHimself
AG
There was a separate thread last month about an Arlington area brewery closing due to rent increase. Wonder how common this is with the craft breweries?
Jock 07
AG
Someone say haze?

La Fours
AG
I'm willing to bet NRB closing is due to other factors besides rent. Rent may be a part of the reason, but I'm guessing poor sales made worse by covid shut down. I'm betting they were heading down this road before covid, and it just sped it along.
CDub06
AG
There's a podcast about it. "EntrepreNOPE" if you're interested. I listened to most of it. And then there was an episode that devoted like 20 minutes to their brewcat's personality and I've not made it past that point...

Their story seemed like a lot of rookie mistakes paired with a shrewd landlord without a squishy heart.

They sound like really cool people and their beer and brewery looked really great. Bummed I never made it up there (or ever heard of it previously).

Edit: New Main Brewing btw
jah003
S
Are we talking tavour prices? It's about $5.50 a can direct from the brewery. I feel like that's not that bad of a risk.
jetch17
AG
Looks like D&Q in Houston just got fresh shipments of Maine beers - looks like Lunch, Another One, & Peeper
Texaggie7nine
NM
7nine
jetch17
AG
I want go go grab those Maines, but I've got a sh*load of beach tasties For the 4th en-route from all corners of the country right now

The first Tavour experiment hits tomorrow or thurs
FriedTex
AG
4 packs in South Dakota run in the 14-18 dollar range. Not terrible but I expected a bit more
Ags #1
AG
Hope we get some dinner soon. That **** is gooood
Ags #1
AG
Happy tuesday
Chipotlemonger
AG
Got some big news, wife is pregnant and we're expecting our first around New Years! Happy Tuesday beer threaders! I figured this beer was worthy of a celebration. Don't normally pour it to the top in one go, but what the hell! Joining the lot of y'all dads now.
La Fours
AG
That's awesome. Congratulations!
Jock 07
AG
Congrats dude that's awesome
steve00
AG
Ags #1 said:

Hope we get some dinner soon. That **** is gooood

I agree, but that is pretty hard to find.
dave99ag
AG
Congratulations! You're in for a wild ride.
AggieOO
Congrats!
NColoradoAG
Chipotlemonger said:

Got some big news, wife is pregnant and we're expecting our first around New Years! Happy Tuesday beer threaders! I figured this beer was worthy of a celebration. Don't normally pour it to the top in one go, but what the hell! Joining the lot of y'all dads now.

First beer thread quarantine baby?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Probably so. Question is, will it be the last? Thanks everyone!
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Congrats dude!
MathNewman06
AG
While we're on the subject, we just brought our second home on Monday night after a week or so back and forth in the NICU. COVID restrictions made that process even worse, so we're very glad to be back home.
Celebratory beer was an 11 Below Big Mistake - it's a girl, so I'm pretty much screwed.

Forgot to take a pic of the beer, but here are pics of the kid.

(I'm smiling. Effing masks...)

MathNewman06
AG
Congratulations! A deserving pour.
jetch17
AG
Congrats to all
jwag
AG
Indeed!
La Fours
AG
Congrats man.
Kyle98
AG
Congrats both of you guys!
maca1028
Congrats to both of you guys!
CDub06
AG
Congratulations to y'all. All y'all! I'll drink to that once I get off the clock.
jetch17
AG
jetch17 said:

I want go go grab those Maines, but I've got a sh*load of beach tasties For the 4th en-route from all corners of the country right now

The first Tavour experiment hits tomorrow or thurs

Turns out, I'm a ho.

wessimo
AG
Easy drinking IPA out of Atlanta
Ags #1
AG
Lets get it
CDub06
AG
Nice choice. And Monday Night Brewing is a really cool spot. Watched the college football championship there a few years back. Actually have a buddy that starts as a beertender there this week.
maca1028
My favorite variant
First Page Last Page
Page 1524 of 1791

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.