Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,708,853 Views | 62700 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by betadawg1
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
La Fours said:

We found a place to stay at Monarch. But thanks.

Cool. Came across a hookup for $100 a night at breck at a ski in ski out.
62strat
AG
Jock 07 said:

I wasn't a stout fan until I discovered BBA stouts. Kick myself in the ass cause BCBS used to sit in the shelves in Minot ND for months in the 2008-2010 time frame.
so much stuff used to sit on the shelves just a short time ago it seems.

When I moved to CO in June 2012, Pliny and Russian river sours sat on the shelves where I live.

2013-2016 saw such explosive growth in trendy beers it seems.
Jock 07
AG
Back in Colorado. Note the proper hotel glassware.

AggieStout
AG
army01 said:

That's a hell of a pour. You take the whole 750?
thats how i drink all my beer. The wife and I split the bottle which makes a good 2 pints full. Is that not how I should be pouring
Represent830
AG
AggieStout said:

army01 said:

thats how i drink all my beer. The wife and I split the bottle which makes a good 2 pints full. Is that not how I should be pouring

I didn't think it was out of the ordinary...
Represent830
AG
Jock 07 said:

Back in Colorado. Note the proper hotel glassware.

That Cerise is fiiiiiire
AggieStout
AG
Anyone have any good things to say about the barrel aged Bible Belt or coffissar. Should I grab some before it's gone
army01
AG
Represent830 said:

AggieStout said:

army01 said:

Not out of the ordinary, though a 19% stout in a 750 is not exactly ordinary either.
army01
AG
steve00 said:

Texas Wine and Spirits in Carlsbad has a pretty solid beer selection. I have a pretty solid beer/bouton/mezcal selection as well, so check in with me and I'll see if I can hook you up.

Toronado will be your best shot at Pliny. They have it most of the time. Down near there is Bottlecraft, which has good selection. Bine & Vine isn't too far either.

Texas Wine is pretty solid. I ended up with a couple from there, and Pizza Port had 1/13 Pliny, so I grabbed a few of those as well. Thanks!

I think we are going to head down to Toronado tomorrow night.
Scriffer
AG
Accidental Westy tasting after work.

IronRed13
AG
8 > 12
maca1028
This is drinking pretty good.
reesei10
My wife found some double unicycle and it is good! Just needs to be a bit colder.

dixie whiskey
AG
maca1028 said:

This is drinking pretty good.

drank mine a couple weeks ago or somewhere around there, i second this
Jock 07
AG
I have a new place in Colorado Springs for anyone that happens to come through here. http://www.cerberusbrewingco.com
Brew pub opened by the former manager of the local beer bar here. Their beer is damn good as is their food. Had a brisket grilled cheese tonight that was outstanding. Apparently they got a chef from the broadmoor to run the kitchen. The best brewery in town and I believe they're going to make a name for themselves in the state.
Muntic0re
i love beer, prefer light
MW13
AG
I see Goose Island coming out with a new BA series called the Cooper Project. 1st is scotch ale, then blonde dopplebock and then a porter. Wonder if we get to see any down here in Texas?
62strat
AG
army01 said:

Represent830 said:

AggieStout said:

army01 said:

Not out of the ordinary, though a 19% stout in a 750 is not exactly ordinary either.
That particular beer poured in a pint glass is not ordinary. An educated bartender would never serve it that way.

8oz, possibly 5, in a snifter.
La Fours
AG
Yes, that's how it would happen at a bar. But for many at home they may not have a snifter and would just pour into a pint glass.

This type of people are heathens, I know, but we can't reach them all. We can just try to help when we can and love them in a "oh, bless your heart" kind of way.
NColoradoAG
62strat said:

army01 said:

Represent830 said:

AggieStout said:

army01 said:

That particular beer poured in a pint glass is not ordinary. An educated bartender would never serve it that way.

Scriffer
AG
62strat said:

army01 said:

Represent830 said:

AggieStout said:

army01 said:

62strat
AG
La Fours said:

Yes, that's how it would happen at a bar. But for many at home they may not have a snifter and would just pour into a pint glass.

This type of people are heathens, I know, but we can't reach them all. We can just try to help when we can and love them in a "oh, bless your heart" kind of way.
My brother in law just chugs no matter what I give him. It makes for some interesting facial expressions when it's a double digit abv.

Aggiestout, next up, a pint of baileys.
62strat
AG
NColoradoAG said:

62strat said:

army01 said:

Represent830 said:

AggieStout said:

army01 said:

Damn, that sounded pretty snobby didn't it!
BSD
AG
Bmac04
AG
Lunch time STL box

IronRed13
AG
While on the snobby discussion of proper glassware, has anyone completed the Cicerone program? What are your thoughts/opinion/recommendations?

https://www.cicerone.org/us-en
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I think the Meddlesome Moth has a certified Cicerone.

One of the bars we made it to in Minneapolis had one they advertised on the menu.

NColoradoAG
IronRed13 said:

While on the snobby discussion of proper glassware, has anyone completed the Cicerone program? What are your thoughts/opinion/recommendations?

https://www.cicerone.org/us-en
Cicerone is really geared toward people who serve and sell beer. I think InspectorSpacetime is the only one in here for whom it'd be worthwhile.

BJCP is a far more useful certification for the "beer snob."

The Cicerone program is also very expensive, whereas the BJCP tests are much cheaper and the ability to advance is based more on experience and skill than plunking down additional $$$
AggieStout
AG
Hey, It keeps me from having to get back up and re-pour. Does the tiny snifter glass help with the beer or is it just more of an % alcohol thing. I have some stout glasses but i rarely use them. Then i also have the pint glass with the bump at the top. I use regular pint glasses cause they are easy to clean and I can fit half a bomber in one and the other half goes in my wife's glass.
AggieStout
AG
Do you like the Sump better or the Abraxas? I have an Abraxas that I have yet to open but the Sump sounds better to me, that and the 17.
NColoradoAG
AggieStout said:

Do you like the Sump better or the Abraxas? I have an Abraxas that I have yet to open but the Sump sounds better to me, that and the 17.
Do you like spiced stouts or coffee stouts?
AggieStout
AG
62strat said:

La Fours said:

My brother in law just chugs no matter what I give him. It makes for some interesting facial expressions when it's a double digit abv.

Aggiestout, next up, a pint of baileys.

Maybe with some Guinness and Jameson
AggieStout
AG
I think i was just scarred by a Chipotle campfire red that I had a year ago where it was all chili flavor. I guess with stouts its easier to blend it in and compliment the other flavors. I drink Prairie and they have chilis in there beer so I guess it wont be bad.
NColoradoAG
AggieStout said:

I think i was just scarred by a Chipotle campfire red that I had a year ago where it was all chili flavor. I guess with stouts its easier to blend it in and compliment the other flavors. I drink Prairie and they have chilis in there beer so I guess it wont be bad.
Abraxas is probably the most balanced in spice among the popular spiced stouts. Its not as spicy as Hunahpu or Mexican Cake. Their base is also more preferable to me than the Huna and Cake bases.

I like Sump more than Abraxas personally.
jah003
S
AggieStout said:

Hey, It keeps me from having to get back up and re-pour. Does the tiny snifter glass help with the beer or is it just more of an % alcohol thing. I have some stout glasses but i rarely use them. Then i also have the pint glass with the bump at the top. I use regular pint glasses cause they are easy to clean and I can fit half a bomber in one and the other half goes in my wife's glass.

Different glasses help release/enhance different aromas in a beer. I like oversized snifters for stouts because I can really get my nose in there (that's what she said).

I'm assuming the pint glass with the bump is a Nordic pint. Same thing as before... Just helps with the nose. I really like my Russian River Nordic pint. It's got etching on the bottom and keeps a nice consistent head (also what she said).

I believe it was "Brewed Awakening" that did a really great job of explaining different glassware... Worth purchasing and reading for sure.
First Page Last Page
Page 1137 of 1792

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.