Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,644,944 Views | 62620 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by Chipotlemonger
Jock 07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jetch17
AG
Gettin sticky

jh0400
AG
Did you try the hop extract ***** Wagon?
jetch17
AG
Yeeeeeeeep, all aboard!

Hudson2508
AG
A nice in person trade with a guy from Portland. He was as hipster neck beardish as they come. He put Austin hipsters to shame.

Chipotlemonger
AG
That balancing act would scare the heck out of me.
Hudson2508
AG
I like living on the edge.

My cellar fridge is getting full though so I need to consolidate to eliminate these situations.
MW13
AG
Drinking Todd the Axe Man while eating pizza and watching the Royal Rumble... How am I married?
Jock 07
AG
I haven't drank this in probably 5 or 6 years. Don't know if I just didn't know any better or if the beer has changed since then but I probably wouldn't buy this again, especially @ 18 bucks a six pack.

jah003
S
MW13 said:

Drinking Todd the Axe Man while eating pizza and watching the Royal Rumble... How am I married?
A question most of the beer thread asks themselves on a daily basis...
62strat
AG
NColoradoAG said:

jayelbee said:

Good Golly is really really good. Worth the wait.

Is there any way to keep a large format bottle fresh for the next day? I don't crush a 22oz bomber or 750mL bottle like I used to, and it would be nice if there were a way to keep the last half pretty fresh for 12-18 hours. I've mashed the cap and forced it back on before, but wasn't sure if there was another cheap way. A foodsaver attachment maybe?

Get some of these. If you put the stopper in right after your pour you'll get 3-5 days of carb.

I've had 3 or 4 different types of this style of stopper, and every one has broken after just a few uses.. Maybe bad luck, I don't know.

Jayelbee, get these
http://www.eckraus.com/reusable-wine-bottle-stoppers-12.html

Any beer judging I've ever been to, this is what they use. They can't break. I use them, and have had the second half of beer sit for days, if not a week or more, and it holds carb. How long it sits is inconsequential. What matters is the amount of head space left after first pour. The more head space you leave (more beer poured equals more head space) the less carb you have for second pour. You could even cap a second time and still have carb, again, depending on head space and carb level of original beer.

I find if I pour a bit less than half for first pour (like 10oz of a 22oz or 750ml), then cap (I always cap right away after first pour), the second pour is still perfectly carbed. If first pour is a bit more than half, that's about the cutoff to where second pour is not very carbed, because there's too much head space for remaining carb in beer to escape to.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG

Ouchea.
NColoradoAG
62strat said:

NColoradoAG said:

jayelbee said:

Good Golly is really really good. Worth the wait.

Is there any way to keep a large format bottle fresh for the next day? I don't crush a 22oz bomber or 750mL bottle like I used to, and it would be nice if there were a way to keep the last half pretty fresh for 12-18 hours. I've mashed the cap and forced it back on before, but wasn't sure if there was another cheap way. A foodsaver attachment maybe?

Get some of these. If you put the stopper in right after your pour you'll get 3-5 days of carb.

I've had 3 or 4 different types of this style of stopper, and every one has broken after just a few uses.. Maybe bad luck, I don't know.

Jayelbee, get these
http://www.eckraus.com/reusable-wine-bottle-stoppers-12.html

Any beer judging I've ever been to, this is what they use. They can't break. I use them, and have had the second half of beer sit for days, if not a week or more, and it holds carb. How long it sits is inconsequential. What matters is the amount of head space left after first pour. The more head space you leave (more beer poured equals more head space) the less carb you have for second pour. You could even cap a second time and still have carb, again, depending on head space and carb level of original beer.

I find if I pour a bit less than half for first pour (like 10oz of a 22oz or 750ml), then cap (I always cap right away after first pour), the second pour is still perfectly carbed. If first pour is a bit more than half, that's about the cutoff to where second pour is not very carbed, because there's too much head space for remaining carb in beer to escape to.

I've had the same 4 stoppers for 5 years. No problems. You should be more gentle when handling your plugs.
62strat
AG
Seems most of the ones I went through were plastic-y.. I'd put it in, push down the lever, and it just breaks off. Your pictures looks to be a stronger material.. but I'm sure cost a bit more.

For about $.50, I've had those little push stoppers for years. I don't think I could break it if I tried. Very low profile too.
Represent830
AG
Awkward...
The Milkman
AG
Anybody have any Orlando recs? I have an afternoon free tomorrow and would love to sit down somewhere and enjoy a good flight of something local, but I've never heard of anything from the area.
La Fours
AG
Eskimo Hut in College Station just got in Jester King's Super Ultramega Hyperforce. Never heard of it before and the JK blog doesn't give much info. Comes in a 1.5L bottle. Sounds interesting.

http://jesterkingbrewery.com/introducing-jester-king-super-ultramega-hyperforce
Chipotlemonger
AG
I tried some out at the brewery when they released it. Thought it was good. My brother got a 1.5L bottle...cool to have and fun conversation IMO.
turfman80
AG
Sometimes you just have to go back to the basics

ChipFTAC01
AG
Has this thread discussed the fake craft beer that Walmart is selling? I can't remember if I saw it on here or on Facebook.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I do not think so
ChipFTAC01
AG
Must have been known Facebook.

Here's an article about it. https://consumerist.com/2017/01/27/walmart-is-selling-its-own-craft-beer-not-that-youd-know-it/
AggieStout
AG
This stuff is really really good glad I picked some up
AggieStout
AG
Was not a fan. Just tasted like all the other stouts they have. Thought it would be better.
La Fours
AG
62strat
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Must have been known Facebook.

Here's an article about it. https://consumerist.com/2017/01/27/walmart-is-selling-its-own-craft-beer-not-that-youd-know-it/

From article:
"You might not have noticed, however, as nowhere on the packaging is there any indication that Walmart is behind the cheaply priced brews."

How can they not know that the low price is the dead giveaway? When I see a 6 pack for less than about $6 or $7 (not on sale), I know it's not some local brewery.

If Walmart priced this at $10 with the others, not only would they fool way more people, but they'd make a butt load more money doing it.

It's like they figured every detail out.. until the last one. They got the packaging, the style, the beer name, brewery name, the look.. then they f-ed it up by pricing it at $5.
62strat
AG
Opened up one of these last night, purchased in Jan 2014. Man it was good. So complex and smooth. I assumed about 7-8%, looked it up (wasn't on the bottle) and it was 12%!

ChipFTAC01
AG
I read a similar study about yellow tail years ago. Apparently the winery was trying to come into the market as a cheap cheap wine years ago. Some marketing guy convinced them to raise their price from $5:bottle to $9/bottle and their sales tripled or somesuch.
army01
AG
That's a hell of a pour. You take the whole 750?
62strat
AG
La Fours said:

62strat said:

Off topic, but there's such great traffic on here, so here goes: (Crossposted on a few other forums)

I have a condo available for rent in Breckenridge, a ski in/ski out suite (sleeps 4). It's during ski season and a very good price. Dates are Sun April 16 - Thurs April 20..

Email me if you're interested for more info or check the classifieds or travel for more in depth listing.

Slightly related to beer since you will no doubt be drinking good beer if you come

Dang, I'm looking for a place to rent for spring break, any time from March 11-18, looking for 3 to 4 nights. If you know of anything available that is similar size to this condo, let me know.
Did you find something? contact me if not
tcw5457 at yahoo
Inspector Spacetime
AG
For those of you who may not want to open 4 bottles for a BBH variant side-by-side, this is the barrel tap list at the pub right now. I'm going to go by after work tonight to compare BBH to Good Golly.

Diggity
AG
The GGMM was great. Nice recommendation!
turfman80
AG
Alright! Texas (Karbach) has earned another worthy acronym... I am not a big stout lover but I really enjoyed GGMM !! I plan to lay up a few bottles for on down the road.
Jock 07
AG
I wasn't a stout fan until I discovered BBA stouts. Kick myself in the ass cause BCBS used to sit in the shelves in Minot ND for months in the 2008-2010 time frame.
La Fours
AG
We found a place to stay at Monarch. But thanks.
First Page Last Page
Page 1136 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.