Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,701,677 Views | 62693 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by swampstander
AggieOO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
lol @ texas big beer...once again asking people for money to pay for their permits. There's no way this brewery stays in business for too terribly long. something always "happens." Last time it was b/c they didn't have money to pay some taxes.
Jock 07
AG
quote:
lol @ texas big beer...once again asking people for money to pay for their permits. There's no way this brewery stays in business for too terribly long. something always "happens." Last time it was b/c they didn't have money to pay some taxes.
never heard of em, are they new? Any good?
AggieOO
they are out of beaumont. only brew "big" beers. i wasn't too impressed with their stuff, but they annoyed the crap out of me on facebook with their posts, so i stopped buying their stuff.

a year or so ago, they complained about not having money for some taxes or licenses or something.

this time, they complain about this stuff. Some of the points are legit, and I understand things happen, but the way they post about it rubs me the wrong way. maybe i'm just being an ass due to other stuff they post. i don't know.

quote:
Due to a chain of costly events, (see chain of events below), we unfortunately find ourselves in a situation of being unable to renew our two year TABC required licenses. If we do not renew our license by mid January we will be forced to cease operation and lay everybody off. We are working overtime and doing everything we can to increase sales, including bringing a new product to market. With all the government red tape, we may not have all the approvals in time for our new product to help.

We would have a better chance if our license fees were comparable to Texas wineries or brew pubs we would not be in this situation. As it stands right now it is $6,789 in fees for us to brew and sell all legal beers in Texas. It took quite a bit of persuasion from a group of friends and supporters to convince us to allow them to set up a GoFundMe as a last ditch effort. It is very hard for us to ask for help and it was not an easy decision to make.

Chain of Bad Events:

1. General liability insurance increased over 50%.
2. Rear-end on delivery van needed gears and bearings changed. Transmission required a total rebuild.
3. The cooling unit in walk-in cooler failed.
4. The big 3-roller grain mill wore out and needed to be replaced.
5. A water line in the brewery busted and sprayed water on all of the pallets of barley. It soured and had to be disposed of. Some of the grain was salvaged by making the catfish fat and happy.
6. The water/sewer bill was astronomical due to the water line spewing water.
7. Water destroyed electronics, including the large scale used to measure out grain.
8. Many smaller things have reached their life span and are being replaced as absolutely necessary.

NoneGiven
AG
They've clearly already fired their graphic and web designers
docaggie
AG
quote:
quote:
never heard of em, are they new? Any good?
They have a Queen's release, white chocolate porter.
I suggest buying one, shaking it, and leaving it on the doorstep of someone you don't like.

I had one once and it exploded in my beer closet. And I don't mean popped its top. Tiny fragments of glass embedded in the wood of the shelves and the wall. It blew several other bottles off the shelf (which, thankfully, didn't break). The only piece larger than a pencil eraser was where the label was. Oh, and the cap.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AggieOO
I think the only reason they are getting support is bc they are the only brewery in that area.
jah003
S
quote:

F that brewery... If you don't have enough in savings to pay your fees you shouldn't be operating a brewery. I've got enough saved to cover their permits and I'm a freaking teacher...

Don't even get me started on gofundme...
Jock 07
AG
quote:
they are out of beaumont. only brew "big" beers. i wasn't too impressed with their stuff, but they annoyed the crap out of me on facebook with their posts, so i stopped buying their stuff.

a year or so ago, they complained about not having money for some taxes or licenses or something.

this time, they complain about this stuff. Some of the points are legit, and I understand things happen, but the way they post about it rubs me the wrong way. maybe i'm just being an ass due to other stuff they post. i don't know.

quote:
Due to a chain of costly events, (see chain of events below), we unfortunately find ourselves in a situation of being unable to renew our two year TABC required licenses. If we do not renew our license by mid January we will be forced to cease operation and lay everybody off. We are working overtime and doing everything we can to increase sales, including bringing a new product to market. With all the government red tape, we may not have all the approvals in time for our new product to help.

We would have a better chance if our license fees were comparable to Texas wineries or brew pubs we would not be in this situation. As it stands right now it is $6,789 in fees for us to brew and sell all legal beers in Texas. It took quite a bit of persuasion from a group of friends and supporters to convince us to allow them to set up a GoFundMe as a last ditch effort. It is very hard for us to ask for help and it was not an easy decision to make.

Chain of Bad Events:

1. General liability insurance increased over 50%.
2. Rear-end on delivery van needed gears and bearings changed. Transmission required a total rebuild.
3. The cooling unit in walk-in cooler failed.
4. The big 3-roller grain mill wore out and needed to be replaced.
5. A water line in the brewery busted and sprayed water on all of the pallets of barley. It soured and had to be disposed of. Some of the grain was salvaged by making the catfish fat and happy.
6. The water/sewer bill was astronomical due to the water line spewing water.
7. Water destroyed electronics, including the large scale used to measure out grain.
8. Many smaller things have reached their life span and are being replaced as absolutely necessary.

None of that sounds like anything a competent business shouldn't be able to overcome
AggieOO
AggieOO
no idea what happened to my post.
DallasAggie2012
AG
I have never had anything I liked from Texas Big Beer. Their label art sucks, their beers suck, and their marketing sucks. Not sure why anyone would pay extra money out of their pockets to keep them going. They should bow out while they have the chance and sell off all assets.
NColoradoAG
I was doing some cellar organizing and cleaning yesterday and came across a bunch of multiple brews that I don't think I'll get to. I'm going to do a little fire sale for anyone who wants some bottles. Some decent stuff available from Crooked Stave, The Bruery, Almanac, etc.

Keep the thread clean. If you are interested you can email me at adam dot klett at gmail dot com.
Jack Thauer
AG
Email sent
Chipotlemonger
AG
Who had the Christmas Bomb! problem and emailed them about it?

Don't feel like scrolling back a ton of pages to look for the ingredients. Opened my 2015 up tonight.
AggieOO
quote:
Who had the Christmas Bomb! problem and emailed them about it?

Don't feel like scrolling back a ton of pages to look for the ingredients. Opened my 2015 up tonight.

Isn't that the beer that have lafours the facial herpes?
Chipotlemonger
AG
That's what I was referencing.

la Fours, what was in it?
La Fours
AG
Yes. That was me with the face herpes.
La Fours
AG
They only added cinnamon to regular bomb.
dave99ag
AG
We've had a pretty tough week and are in Michigan for my wife's father's funeral. She wanted us to do something fun before we headed back to Texas and suggested stopping by 3 Floyds on the way back to Chicago. Worth stopping there or is there a good place in downtown one would suggest?
maca1028
quote:
We've had a pretty tough week and are in Michigan for my wife's father's funeral. She wanted us to do something fun before we headed back to Texas and suggested stopping by 3 Floyds on the way back to Chicago. Worth stopping there or is there a good place in downtown one would suggest?

Sorry to hear about your father in law Dave, T&P to you, your wife, and family.
BSD
AG
My condolences on the loss of your father in law.

Three Floyds is mostly on the way into Chicago so you can hit it up for lunch and still go downtown for fun. If I had to choose one or the other, I'd choose downtown because there is so much to do other than drink. but then again, I'm not much of a drinker these days. Either way, you'll be good to go.
dave99ag
AG
That was my thinking. Have lunch then and then visit friends that evening. We're flying back Friday morning, so really Thursday is our only free day with the funeral tomorrow. Neither of us have tried their beers, so figured it'd be a good break on the drive in from Ann Arbor.
maca1028
I have nothing FT but $$, ISO maple bacon coffee porter.
army01
AG

+

maca1028
quote:

army01
AG
That emoticon is about right.
BSD
AG
=

EFE
AG
quote:
quote:

Horse piss aged in charred barrels made from old pallets
maca1028
quote:
=

Even worse, I ****ing hate puppets!
62strat
AG
Man two years in a row now I've had to pass on bail big brews because of new born or almost born babies!

Maybe next year we can start to attend again. Had a free entry this year, and a couch available at my aunt/uncles place.

What a line up. And you dont stand in lines all day for the good stuff like gabf, since this is all good stuff.
BCBS rare and proprietors.

http://www.bigbeersfestival.com/2016-Festival-Program.pdf
Jock 07
AG
These things are actually starting to sit on the shelves for a while when they hit town.
Jock 07
AG
quote:
Man two years in a row now I've had to pass on bail big brews because of new born or almost born babies!

Maybe next year we can start to attend again. Had a free entry this year, and a couch available at my aunt/uncles place.

What a line up. And you dont stand in lines all day for the good stuff like gabf, since this is all good stuff.
BCBS rare and proprietors.

http://www.bigbeersfestival.com/2016-Festival-Program.pdf
I really wanted to go this year but I'm in the same situation as you. And I'm afraid it's going to be quite a while before I'm allowed to go to beerfests from here on out. My wife doesn't share the same interest in beer that I do. The most painful part is being so close yet so far away.
62strat
AG
Damn could you pick me up a couple supplications?
I have two and am afraid to drink them cause I don't come across them much. Down by me the stores get consecration much more often. I have about 8 of those.

My wife is a huge sour fan, and big beers always seems to have a big portion of sours, so it's an easy sell, especially with my family having a condo in vail.

Jock 07
AG
Grabbed the last one off the shelf today from a drop over Christmas today. I'll keep an eye out around town for other spots for you.
AggieOO
JK purchased the 58 acres surrounding the brewery to preserve and start farming.

http://jesterkingbrewery.com/jester-king-to-preserve-58-acres-of-land-begin-farming

its no secret that i don't like their beers, but its just due to the style. i love their concept and the land out there. when i go, i get beers from stanleys and enjoy the surroundings. good to see that as austin explodes, they won't be in the middle of a housing sub-division.
First Page Last Page
Page 821 of 1792

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.