Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,690,554 Views | 62675 Replies | Last: 16 hrs ago by maca1028
streetfighter2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone going to Buffalo Bayou's Christmas in July on Thursday? I'm not a huge fan of theirs but i'd like to try some of these.

Gingerbread Stout (Nitro)
Hibiscus Wit (Frozen Shandy)
White Christmas
Wit Da Eff
Meer Koebel
Sauvignon Blonde
Charred-oak 1836
Blood Orange Wit
Blueberry Wit
Black IPA w/ Coconut & Jaggery
Belgian Blonde w/ Tarragon

AggieOO
The gingerbread stout is not good.
jh0400
AG
quote:
The gingerbread stout is not good.

I liked it, but I'm far from a stout connoisseur.
aggiejz
AG
Thinking about going, but most of my friends can't make it for one reason or another and I wasn't wanting to fly solo to that so I haven't bought a ticket yet. I didn't get to try the gingerbread stout last year.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Burton Baton is my favorite from DFH. I also liked Gingerbread Stout. Not really sure about the gingerbread taste, but I thought it was a pretty good stout for a relatively new brewery. To me, it's easily their best beer.
62strat
AG
Can finally check this one off my bucket list: New Belgium Brewery Tour.

Sorry if it’s tl;dr….

For those who don't know, their tour is perpetually booked up 2 months in advance. Tuesday through Saturday, from 11:00 to 4pm starting every half hour. The Tuesday -Thursday ones fill up about 2 weeks ahead. The weekends are usually full up until that 7th-8th week. It's pretty crazy really.

Anyway, I got on thursday night to check, of course, fri/sat full for 2 months out. I happen to get back on the next day, friday to see if a new day had popped up 2 months from now, but low and behold, there were 10 slots (out of 20) open on saturday, the next day. I didn't even take the time to call wife or anyone, I booked 4 asap. Within 15 minutes I told my wife, looked back at calendar, and they were gone. Some party must have cancelled and actually updated it online.

So I got a Saturday tour with 18 hours notice, 11:30 slot.

Tour was 90 minutes. Man do they have a nice facility.

Arriving.. the signage out front

Lots of tasty goodness on tap in the tasting room. It was empty when we got there at 11:15; by 1pm after the tour, it was shoulder to shoulder.

The main production room. The floor is at the top of these tanks, which are about 30’ tall. The big one front and center is the mash tun. In foreground is lauter tun. Even closer to front but not in picture is boil kettle. They boil by siphoning up wort from lauter tun through center of boil kettle, then it pours over a piping hot plate, like a shallow river, which flash boils it immediately as it enters the kettle.. They can boil the whole thing in 20 minutes, basically the length of time it takes to transfer wort from lauter tun to boil kettle. A standard coil system which they used to use took 2 hours.

Every employee on their 1 year anniversary gets a fat tire bike. They differ every year. These bikes were parked all over the place. Almost 500 ‘coworkers’ as they call them, not employees.
On their 5 year, they get a paid vacation to Belgium to go on the ‘pub crawl’ their founder did some 20 years ago.
On their 10th year, they get a 4 week paid sabbatical to do whatever interests them.
This was inspired by the first person to reach ten years (outside of two founders), they asked what he wanted, he said he loves rock climbing, so they built a rock climbing wall in the cellar room (you can see it below). They can’t do something like that for every 10 year person, so they came up with the paid leave idea. Some people combine it with their vacation to get ~8-10 weeks off.
Cool story; this guy, the first employee, basically lived on their (two owners, husband/wife) couch and helped them brew in the basement. A year later (1991ish I think?), they had their business model and ready to go into licensed sales, but this guy wanted to move to east coast and start his own brewpub. They begged him to stay saying he was valuable to them.
He called his girlfriend who lived on east coast and asked her to move back to ft. collins.. she said only if you marry me. They got engaged on the phone, he stayed, and the rest is history.. Talk about a life changing decision...
They continued brewing in their house for like 2-3 years. Then moved into small location, then into current location, then expanded.

Their barrel storage. Holy cow. 30+ huge barrels. She said as far as they know, it’s the biggest cellar storage in the US, and they are about to double it in size, with 30 more barrels coming in.

Some whiskey barrel aging.. unfortunately we didn’t get to sample these small batch beers.

We tasted the brown sour (La Folie) side by side to the same beer pre-aged (pre-soured). Pretty interesting. The base beer was pretty dang good as it was, but then the soured version just kicks you in the tongue.

All of their storage/fermenting is outside. They brew 24/7.

Quite the bottling facility.

The Houston beer drinkers will appreciate this: A shrine to Saint Arnold

Along the tour we tasted pretty generous samples (~7oz) of the Abbey double, Lips of Faith Paardebloem, fat tire, the La Folie and it's pre-soured version, and the shift lager. I won a shift lager to take home by answering the trivia question: which CO brewery produces the most canned beer.. Oskar Blues.

After the tour we went down the street to Fort Collins Brewery for lunch and a few beers. Wanted to go to Odell’s next door, but we had an 80 minute drive ahead of us and were already buzzed enough.

Man within a mile of each other is New Belgium, Odell's, Funkwerks, and Fort Collins Brewery.. There were some houses right there, I was thinking, if I lived here, I'd be drinking at one of these breweries 7 days a week.

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 7/23/2013 1:59p).]
The Beer and I
Gingers
dave99ag
AG
New Belgium brewery is a ton of fun! Definitely worth a tour when in Ft. Collins.
aggiejz
AG
quote:
I was thinking, if I lived here, I'd be drinking at one of these breweries 7 days a week.

Thought the exact same thing when I was up there a few months ago. I hit all 4 of the ones you mentioned, although didn't get to go on the New Belgium tour. One of these days I'll make it happen..
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Dat mass on the girl on the left.
NColoradoAG
quote:
Their barrel storage. Holy cow. 30+ huge barrels

Technically they're Foeders, not barrels.

The New Belgium Tour is so badass. I try and do it at least once a year.
aggiejz
AG
Aaaaaand I caved and bought a ticket to the Buff Brew Christmas in July thing. If any of y'all go come find me and say hi.
62strat
AG
Yes I took note of the term Foeders.. figured no one would know what that is

cool video
http://www.craftbrewingbusiness.com/equipment-systems/a-time-lapse-video-of-new-belgium-building-its-foeder-forest/

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 7/23/2013 2:48p).]
gordo97
AG
from the No Label newsletter... nice!

Currently we are working hard on our Wee Heavy (Perpetual Peace). This brew will be available on tap in November. This brew is also going into Bourbon Barrels. We will update you later on the release!
aggiespartan
AG
so this is starting tomorrow
http://www.oregonbrewfest.com/index2.php?p=beers

it's ok for you to be jealous.
The Beer and I
Having a Union Jack, can't wait til Firestone Walker comes to Houston.
MADDUD
Having my first 004 roll in the hay. Lil on the sour side, but not bad
jetch17
AG
You say that like its a bad thing
streetfighter2012
AG
Had the 004 on draught last night. I thought it was great, I'm just disappointed I could only get 1 bottle of it when they released it.
txag2008
AG
Any DFW people see the 004 around?
dave99ag
AG
I don't think you're going to see any Karbach in D/FW right now. They just added San Antonio otherwise it's only around Houston.
txag2008
AG
quote:
I don't think you're going to see any Karbach in D/FW right now. They just added San Antonio otherwise it's only around Houston.

That's what I thought up until a few weeks ago until I saw all their cans at 2 seperately places in Dallas for sale.
dave99ag
AG
Nice! Maybe you'll start getting the special releases too then.
La Fours
AG
I'm having a Black Crack tonight. It has aged well. Very smooth and not the booze punch to the nose like before.
AggieOO
karbach is supposed to be in austin by dec. not official, but the "under the table" info i got during the MS150.

for those who want karbach on tap in austin, keep an eye on the growler room, they drive to houston and pick up kegs.
TxKng82
AG
quote:
I'm having a Black Crack tonight. It has aged well. Very smooth and not the booze punch to the nose like before.

Still kicking myself for not finding any. Really wanted to get some.
AggieOO
it was good. i only got one though.
Ags #1
AG
Had my first rubaeus tonight. Freaking loved it. Just wish they didn't limit me to 2 of them at specs
Ags #1
AG
Someone earlier mentioned they saw 004 a Randall's on Holcomb and buff speedway. I picked up 3 bottles on Saturday night. Not sure if they have any left though
maca1028
Meh
maca1028
Going to downtown Flying Saucer tomorrow evening about 5 with a Sea Aggie friend of mine if any of you Houston area folks wanna join for some cold crafts
CollinAB
AG
Oh, Black Crack. I split my last bottle with a a guy about a month ago. I was lucky enough to get three during its availability. Then another at O'bannon's during ACBW. Good stuff.
jah003
S
Drinking one of my last Hoptimum's tonight. Still drinking pretty well... not quite as great as it was fresh.
TxKng82
AG

$3 rodeo clowns ftw
La Fours
AG
quote:
Had my first rubaeus tonight. Freaking loved it. Just wish they didn't limit me to 2 of them at specs

I loved it too. The HEB on Holleman had several 4 packs on the shelf today.

Now I'm on to a KBS.
First Page Last Page
Page 252 of 1791

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.