Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,642,060 Views | 62609 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by SoTxAg
dave99ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My lovely wife brought home these goodies for me today.

turfman80
AG
Impressive, most impressive....

jah003
S
Your wife kicks ass...
Represent830
AG
quote:
Your wife kicks ass...

No kidding. My wife could bring me something decent back, but not that good.
reesei10
quote:
quote:
Red Horn coffee house and brewing up in round rock said they were going to have bottles of JK fantome for sale today
Oh really? Any idea on what time? I can swing by there on the way home...

Upon further inspection, this is on their Facebook:
quote:
We can't wait for some awesome bottle/can deliveries tomorrow! Check these awesome new offerings before the run out! Oasis, Texas Brewing Company BB Lake Monster, Guadalupe Brewing Company Honey Ale,Bruery Terreux Tart of Darkness and Humulus Terreux, Blue Owl BrewingLittle Boss, 4th Tap Brewing Co-op Sun Eater, Jester King BreweryFantome Del Rey.

The only problem with Bottles from Red Horn is that their price is about double if you found it in the store.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
quote:
Impressive, most impressive....

Picked up two of those today. Glad to hear they're good.
Represent830
AG
I've heard mixed reviews. What kind of profile we looking at?
jah003
S
Here's to 3 day weekends, Aggie baseball, and delicious beer...
dave99ag
AG
quote:
Your wife kicks ass...

That was from 3 different stores with a 6 week old in tow.
AgEng06
AG
Pretty, pretty, pretty good...

steve00
AG
Some of the best IPAs from CA and TX. Thanks for the TX side Rep830.

Represent830
AG
Enjoy it!
Chipotlemonger
AG
Pretty damn solid page on the Beer Thread here
Hudson2508
AG

Damn, another excellent beer from Oddwood. Really excited about their stand alone brewery.
big-ag
AG
Just met Joas Aguilar at Four Corners. He may have taken one of my glasses. Awesome guy. Says his back is doing better and he is set to graduate with a Construction Science degree.
Jock 07
AG
Looks like Austin isn't the only ones upset with OB
From Chris Black

quote:
An open letter to Dale Katechis & Oskar Blues Brewing:

Bye.

OK, I guess I should elaborate on that even though if I just left it at that, you'd know what I was saying & why I was saying it. But since this is not the first time these subjects have come up in the industry, I'm just going to rip off the band-aid, say it out loud & let people know about the issues. First off, to brewers (whether Brewpub or Production), I fully support a Brewers right to a Tap Room. I think it is a vital part of building your brewery & its brand. Another vital part of your business if you have aspirations of growth outside your brewery's building are Tap Handles & Bottles/Cans in the marketplace.

As the industry has evolved & grown, various breweries have come up with differing methods of financing their growth. Whether by taking on increasing amounts of traditional debt (& the perils that entails), Selling out to the Industrobrewers, Selling out to another Brewer, going public, employee ownership, or allowing Private Equity investment, choices abound. Which way is best, which way(s) is/are still "Craft"? Well we DEFINITELY know one choice, selling to the Industrobrewers, isn't Craft. If you choose that route, congratulations on being successful, but don't give me the "nothing's changed" crap, yes it has, you knew it before hand, no one changed the rules mid-stream. Deal with it. The other ways in the list, I think we have to play a wait-and-see game. I think actions speak louder than Press Releases, it's pretty much the only method we have at looking under the tent of the new entity.

In your case, some of your Brewery's recent actions point towards a brewery that I feel ISN'T Craft & therefore I wish to have nothing to do with. In the Craft Beer Industry, it's either you are WITH it, or you are AGAINST it, there really is no in-between. Starting this year, you have left the Colorado Brewers Guild. This leaves a large hole in the budget of an organization that has helped & fought for your ability to get to where you are today. You don't belong to the North Carolina Brewers Guild, you informed the Texas Brewers Guild you won't be joining their organization (the latter was the subject of a recent Austin Chronicle article). I wonder what will happen in Florida. I hear you saying it's "Craft Buying Craft". I'd be willing to suspend my disbelief if it weren't for your actions. That's not Craft. Yes, I know that not every brewery belongs to the Local and National Trade Organizations, just the ones that care about progressing the industry, want to protect it from the Industrobrewers, & want to be able to protect the small brewer's access to market.

Another action is your announced Music Venue/Beer Hall in Downtown Denver. With 43 taps. Seriously? 4 years (almost to the day) ago you announced a "letter of intent" on a building in Boulder to open up another Home Made Liquids & Solids. We had an emotional (& very civil) discussion about my opinion on this subject`. When you want to sell your own products, I am a huge supporter, when your primary goal is to sell other people's beers, I'm not so much in favor. That's kinda the job for the accounts out in the marketplace. As you might have noticed, there are over 4300 breweries in the US, 300+ in Colorado alone, I have LOTS of choices, & I choose to spend my money on beers brewed by brewers that don't actively & directly compete with me. Oh, I understand it's 'legal' for you to carry other people's beers, that doesn't make it right, or the right thing to do for your brand. You seem to want to be considered a Brewpub when it suits you, and a Brewery when see an advantage in that. Funny, I was always under the impression that there were laws against that here in Colorado (laws designed to keep things from being taken over by the Industrobrewers), but I must be mistaken.

Your actions shout.

Have a terrific life driving your warehouse full of exotic cars.

I was your first account outside of your immediate area of Lyons. I've been a loyal supporter & account ever since. I feel like such a sucker.

--
Chris Black
king
Falling Rock Tap House
Chipotlemonger
AG
Good lord
Jock 07
AG
Yea so apparently he's a sip, never realized that.
62strat
AG
Yeh Chris and his wife are from Texas. He grew up in Houston. He had plenty opportunities to grow into more locations... Who cares if OB wants to open a live music venue. That's not even direct competition.
AggieOO
He needs to fact check and stop selling high life at his place.
62strat
AG
I can't comprehend exactly what his beef is. He says he supports all the other businesses that have opened up near him through the years... Why not Oskar Blues? They'll probably have their taps full of local small breweries just like FR. More craft beer bar options the better the right? Does he care that new Belgium is opening their deal just down the street?

OB is definitely ruffling some feathers recently.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Yeah. I don't know anything about the politics of Colorado beer business but that seemed like a long winded explanation that didn't explain anything. Just sounds like sour grapes to me.
Represent830
AG
quote:
Yeah. I don't know anything about the politics of Colorado beer business but that seemed like a long winded explanation that didn't explain anything. Just sounds like sour grapes to me.

Yep. Sounded the same to me.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Had Deep Ellum Dream Crusher last night. Really nice double IPA. It had been a while.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
quote:
Had Deep Ellum Dream Crusher last night. Really nice double IPA. It had been a while.

I love that beer.
Hickory High
AG
Deep Ellun makes all sorts of good stuff
Jock 07
AG
Yea, a guy commented about how they're still selling lauganitas even though they sold out too
NColoradoAG
This is just another example of the whiny ass, entitled, low risk, hate competition, customer second attitude that is becoming pervasive in craft beer.

This diatribe didn't have much to do with OB taking on investment buying other breweries, IMO. It was more him being butt hurt about a brewery stepping onto his "bar turf."

Beer bar owners are very opinioned on how breweries should respect their business. They don't like extended tap room hours and they really don't like the fact they can open up places like OBs new place downtown and their other spots on the front range. They feel they are owed protection because they buy kegs and expand breweries brands. They also really hate that a place like Liquids and Solids gets PtY, BCBS, Parabola, and other limited kegs because "that's a keg that should go to a bar." That is a ridiculous opinion to me because it doesn't limit the public getting the beer, just some bar that feels they are entitled to it.

I respect Chris Black, he's a major player in the industry and actually a really nice guy, but I rarely go to to Falling Rock because I can't stand the way they treat customers. Their customer service is a detriment to the craft beer scene downtown. They treat novices, rockies game goers, and out of town drinkers like they are dirt. I will probably not go there at all after this diatribe.
jah003
S
quote:
Deep Ellun makes all sorts of good stuff

So... You're not sending your package...?

Cause if so... Every one of your posts is gonna get a response like this...

Represent830
AG
I wasn't terribly impressed with FR. It was ok, but I'd check out other places first if I go back.
Jock 07
AG
Yea the customer service has always been quite poor. Especially, not to sound condescending but it's the only way I can think of describing him, the one guy who's always behind the bar that looks like trailer park trash. About the only thing I think they do right is the PtY tappings
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Not my favorite from them but it's pretty solid.

steve00
AG
Just killing some Plinys at Toronado
jh0400
AG
Drinking a Commons Cerise Noir. I wish I'd brought another back with me.
maca1028
Hey represent, sorry we didn't catch up today man. I drank waaaayy too much last night and beer for lunch today just wasn't happening.
First Page Last Page
Page 926 of 1789

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.