Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,643,855 Views | 62617 Replies | Last: 28 min ago by swampstander
NColoradoAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
quote:
quote:
Man some people are really butt hurt about this.

http://www.austinchronicle.com/food/2016-05-13/cold-front/

"He [a local brewery founder] continues, "You can take the production of every brewery in the city, combine it all, and [Oskar Blues] will still be able to make more beer in that one facility alone. I have a hard time comparing what they are doing to what we are trying to do. If I walk into an H-E-B and I start seeing Oskar Blues in the local craft brewery section, I think that's pretty ****ed up.""

[soapbox rant ahead]

Could someone tell this dipchit that Oskar Blues started doing what 'he is trying to do' 20 years ago, before it was cool, before it was trendy, and because them and others like them were successful at it, this guy can even do what he does today? You would think he was talking about a new budweiser IPA showing up in the craft section. I just don't understand his mindset.

I'm kind of sick and tired of the recent trend of getting on your high horse about the big guys selling out or expanding, or even the big guys who are simply growing and make/sell a lot of beer, and because of this, now they aren't craft. The big guys have been doing this a long time. They paid their dues, and they paved the way for you to be able to even open up your brewery and for us drinkers to have the volume and selection we have. It's very millennial. These brewery owners that started in the 90s are getting older and realize they need to retire in the near future, and they have ability to do so now because of a trend they were a part of from its infancy stage.

I don't know why so many brewers (and drinkers) are becoming so against the big guys.. no frieken respect. Most big companies are big because they've been around a long time and they made beer that people like, and these companies are the reason we even have this thread going today. I have never been against buy outs and growth, expansion into new markets. I totally respect and an amazed at the new belgiums of the world, how they were the ones with the real balls to start their business back in the 80s or early 90s when no one knew what this stuff was.. They struggled for years against the big guys with very few others to join them in the fight.

Anyway.. moral of the day: respect your elders.

The problem is hipsters, entitlement, and the fact that many brewers are huge poons and can't handle aggressive competition. Hipsters can't stand brewery success. They wan't their little place to always be not too busy, but make amazing beer. They don't want it to grow too big and have people in cargo shorts showing up. Or people with their girlfriends showing up to mule bottles. Then there is entitlement among brewers. They think they are entitled to a neighborhood, a style, or some other niche if they are "first." Look at our local breweries like Trinity, Crooked Stave, and Black Project. Trinity thinks they're entitled to every sour drinker in the Springs worshiping them. Crooked Stave threw a fit when New Belgium released plans for an all wild ale taproom right next door. Black Project continually talks down to brewers who kettle sour. Then comes the fact that most brewers are actually insecure, whiny little twatwaffles. They can't stand places who have a more trendy or hyped beer. They cant stand not being in the papers or blogs. They talk endless **** about their competition while simultaneously trying to collaborate because of the dumbass ideology that brewers are all best friends. And then when they do collaborate, they will steal your processes and recipe tweaks.

Bottom line is a lot of brewers are really bad at business and extremely risk averse. Too often they feel their industry is not subject to the laws of basic business. The breweries you see really thriving from small <1000bbl operations all the way up to players like Oskar Blues is that they are strategic, aggressive, and not beholden to any cliche ideology like "drink local" or "drink small." They focus on making the best beer out there and selling that beer at a higher rate in more places than their competitors who are sitting on the sideline *****ing.

/rant
yeh i'm on board with all of that. Before the hipsters came.. which by my guess was maybe 4-5 years ago? Hard to tell I guess.. anyway, before them, craft beer was 100% supportive of each other, always looking to get their beer, and even their competitor's beer, into more people's hands.

Now, moreso recently, I'm starting to see backlash, jealousy, and even hate towards what is their own kind, and a separation between the 'brotherhood' if you will.

one comment, regarding crooked stave, I thought they were moving out of there because there was some sort of dispute between them and zeppelin (the developer) about brewing there?

http://www.westword.com/restaurants/crooked-stave-moves-its-brewery-equipment-out-of-the-source-will-keep-tap-room-6045555

This is actually the mentality I was referring to. The "brotherhood" is a fallacy for the most part. Sure, some brewers are friends and have come up together, but being part of the "brotherhood" doesn't mean that you're entitled to anything. It doesn't mean that someone shouldn't walk in to a restaurant and try and take over your handles. It doesn't mean someone shouldn't pick up an account where you sell a lot of beer. There is definitely a "brotherhood" among the big guys, but they earned it. They've made it. Expecting this "brotherhood" to be industry wide right now is a recipe for the rants in the article you posted, along with other recent rantings by brewers. Things have changed a lot in 25 years.

Quite honestly, I don't know why people seem to care so much about whether brewers are friendly and nice to one another. I only care about them being professional in the public realm, and friendly to their customers and to focus on making the best beer possible.
NColoradoAG
quote:

one comment, regarding crooked stave, I thought they were moving out of there because there was some sort of dispute between them and zeppelin (the developer) about brewing there?

http://www.westword.com/restaurants/crooked-stave-moves-its-brewery-equipment-out-of-the-source-will-keep-tap-room-6045555

They moved their brewhouse to their main facility off Pecos and I70. They still have the taproom at The Source. There is a new hotel going in across the street from The Source and New Belgium is building a wild ale facility and taproom within the hotel. Crooked Stave and many of their customers felt that it was an "affront to their turf" and they were upset that someone else thought they could brew and serve wild ales in River North.
Jock 07
AG
quote:
entitlement, and the fact that many brewers are huge poons and can't handle aggressive competition.
Then comes the fact that most brewers are actually insecure, whiny little twatwaffles.
This. So much this. There are a few twat brewers here that think they're God's gift to colorado springs brewing when, in fact, their **** blows for the most part. Even when they ask for your feedback, and you provide your honest feedback that their **** sucks, they get all defensive and claim that I don't have a refined palate to appreciate his craft. No dude your **** sucks and the only reason you're still in business is because you brew in the springs where you can pass off your **** to an uneducated consumer who thinks as long as it's labeled craft it has to be good.

Hickory High
AG
Words
NColoradoAG
quote:
Words
Read them and learn young padawan. Do not give in to the darkside and become a hipster ******.
Jock 07
AG
On a more happy note, I just booked my summer TX trip. Flying into AUS the night of 1 Jul and will be down there thru 17 Jul. Planning on getting a fishing trip in sometime in there as well a trip over to see my folks in Houston but would anyone be interested in a mid summer bottle share down there during that time frame? I could bring some stuff from up here down with me. Want to hit up JK that first weekend as well.*

*All of this is assuming I can get permission from the boss, however she should be preoccupied with her folks there in Georgetown where we will be staying.
Hickory High
AG
quote:
quote:
Words
Read them and learn young padawan. Do not give in to the darkside and become a hipster ******.

I like Karbach.
Jock 07
AG

quote:
Hell, one intention of buying the damn stuff in the first place is to genuinely support people who you know and like and who are really trying to accomplish a civic duty beyond just selling beer.
what kind of millennial bull**** is this?
NColoradoAG
quote:

quote:
Hell, one intention of buying the damn stuff in the first place is to genuinely support people who you know and like and who are really trying to accomplish a civic duty beyond just selling beer.
what kind of millennial bull**** is this?
This beer is ****ty, but godammit, I'm going to support my local brewer.
62strat
AG
quote:
quote:

They moved their brewhouse to their main facility off Pecos and I70. They still have the taproom at The Source. There is a new hotel going in across the street from The Source and New Belgium is building a wild ale facility and taproom within the hotel. Crooked Stave and many of their customers felt that it was an "affront to their turf" and they were upset that someone else thought they could brew and serve wild ales in River North.
Yeh, my company bid to build Hotel source. It's not across the street, it's next to the source.. like, right next to it.

So I thought CS started at pecos and 70 (half mile from my office btw), after leaving Ft.C, and moved to source with intentions to be able to brew there.. but zeppelin wouldn't let them.. so the equipment had to be moved back to sunnyside... this is the way I thought it went down anyway. Don't they realize a NB tap room next to them will bring loads of people across his doorstep?

Great divide just opened their big ass barrel room across the st. from source.. no pickle with them?

Surely old Jacobson knows that NB started doing sours in the late 90s.. with a f-in belgian brewer???? They are not jumping on the bandwagon. They were doing it before these beers even had a category at GABF.

Again.. respect your elders. They brought you into the world. I just don't understand unfounded entitlement.

62strat
AG

62strat
AG

62strat
AG

62strat
AG
how could a brewer inside the source be mad at this?? 100 room trendy hotel, plopped down at your doorstep. that will bring massive foot traffic into to the source for food, and oh look a brewery..

HOWEVER.. this is pretty badass.. and maybe the guests won't even go to the source hah.
A hotel with a barrel aging beer garden on the top floor with pools to boot. Really shows how far beer has come.

Represent830
AG
Speaking of the source...

Good god this Serenata Notturna Blueberry tho.
jah003
S
quote:
On a more happy note, I just booked my summer TX trip. Flying into AUS the night of 1 Jul and will be down there thru 17 Jul. Planning on getting a fishing trip in sometime in there as well a trip over to see my folks in Houston but would anyone be interested in a mid summer bottle share down there during that time frame? I could bring some stuff from up here down with me. Want to hit up JK that first weekend as well.*

*All of this is assuming I can get permission from the boss, however she should be preoccupied with her folks there in Georgetown where we will be staying.

I should be around and I don't work in the summer, so... In.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
Crooked Stave is mad because New Belgium wants to use its well-earned goodwill and brewing reputation to bring more attention and dollars to the most niche category of beer there is? It's just smart business on NB's part, like the way Burger King has historically let McDonald's pay to research new locations, then BK just buys the lot across the street. In the end, there's no way this doesn't end up benefiting both breweries IMO.
Jock 07
AG
Esssss preeeeeety gooooood
Jock 07
AG
Anyone know if comrade plans on canning or bottling anytime soon?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Not sure on Comrade, Jock.

Speaking of Cantillon, did JK ever figure out their ballot stuffing issue for their event?
Represent830
AG
Just had breakfast at Jelly... Mah gawd.
Represent830
AG

As per NColorado's recommendation, at Dieboldt. All of those were delicious.
Bmac04
AG
Love getting beer mail on Saturday

Jock 07
AG
Speaking of toppling Goliath anyone know how readily available it is in and around Omaha NE & council bluffs Iowa? Hoping to be able to find stuff like assassin and pseudo sue somewhat easily when I get over there.
Bmac04
AG
You won't be able to find Assassin, the last time it was released was 2014 and was a very small bottle count. You shouldn't have a problem finding pseudo and other TG hops though in Iowa. The website shows an availability map.
La Fours
AG
Holy ****. That's a haul.
txag2008
AG
It's a good one.

Quincey P. Morris
AG

Last two nights have been good.

maca1028

Nobi
62strat
AG
Had an epic sour IPA. Great fruity taste, and it all comes from their hop selection.

Kettle sour as well, only $11 a 6 pack. I can dig that.
Quincey P. Morris
AG

Figured I may as well stick with the theme.
Chipotlemonger
AG
**** yes
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:

Figured I may as well stick with the theme.

How is this one everyone? I have a bottle in the fridge. Drink now or hold a bit?

Had Oskar Blues GUBNA and Noble Rey Vertigo tonight. Both were good, but I think I would've preferred to have had what the gf got: Karbach Rodeo Clown and Lone Pint Yellow Rose. All 4 were on tap.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I could go either way on it. Would probably age well but it's damned good right now.
cc10106
Loving this Hop Troll SMaSH IPA from Odd 13 Brewing from Colorado. Also had n00b and Superfan from them, all of which are tasty hazy IPAs.

First Page Last Page
Page 921 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.