Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,678,581 Views | 62656 Replies | Last: 26 min ago by swampstander
Lt. Joe Bookman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We learned on our trip to NY that they don't sell wine in grocery stores. They sell beer, even high alcohol beer in grocery stores, but not wine. Weird.
jh0400
AG
I also learned that stores that sell wine and liquor don't sell beer.
Jock 07
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
and that beer and wine cannot be purchased in a grocery store on Sundays until after noon.
hey at least y'all can get full strength beer and wine in the grocery stores.
True, but at least if you run out, you can run to a liquor store on Sunday, or Thanksgiving day, and grab something.
True
Jock 07
AG
I think California is the only place I've been that sells liquor in grocery stores.
NColoradoAG
quote:
quote:
and that beer and wine cannot be purchased in a grocery store on Sundays until after noon.
The 50 yard walk across the parking lot to the liquor store kills me too.
Jock 07
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Valid point. My main contention is missing out on growler fills at whole foods. We don't all have kick ass breweries right down the street that we can work at and fill crowlers.
NColoradoAG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Valid point. My main contention is missing out on growler fills at whole foods. We don't all have kick ass breweries right down the street that we can work at and fill crowlers.
I would happily vote for a ballot measure to allow craft and wine in grocery stores if 1) it didnt create the new license that only grocery stores can have multiple licenses and 2) it allowed grocery stores and liquor stores to fill growlers and crowlers.
Jock 07
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
I would happily vote for a ballot measure to allow craft and wine in grocery stores if 1) it didnt create the new license that only grocery stores can have multiple licenses and 2) it allowed grocery stores and liquor stores to fill growlers and crowlers.
So I can't vote for it anyhow, but does the current legislation I keep hearing about not allow the growler fills?
Jock 07
AG
Actually I guess I should ask, are liquor stores currently prohibited from filling growlers? That seems pretty stupid if true for a beer forward state as Colorado
NColoradoAG
quote:
Actually I guess I should ask, are liquor stores currently prohibited from filling growlers? That seems pretty stupid if true for a beer forward state as Colorado
Yes, they are prohibited. Beer can only be packaged in that format in the location where it is produced. Proposed initiative 60 does not change that in any way. It only creates the new "food retailer license."
Jock 07
AG
Well that sounds like a straight up grocery store lobby law which doesn't even fix the growler issue.
NColoradoAG
quote:
Well that sounds like a straight up grocery store lobby law which doesn't even fix the growler issue.

That's exactly what it is.
Chipotlemonger
AG
So one can only get a growler of a certain beer at that certain beer's brewery in Colorado? Did I get that correctly?

Man, that sucks if true. I'll take all of the Sunday morning alcohol laws rather than having to go multiple places to get a good growler variety.
NColoradoAG
quote:
So one can only get a growler of a certain beer at that certain beer's brewery in Colorado? Did I get that correctly?

Man, that sucks if true. I'll take all of the Sunday morning alcohol laws rather than having to go multiple places to get a good growler variety.

Yes that's true. It's never bothered me too much because there are so many great bottles in the stores, but it's another choice that would be nice to have.
jah003
S
This is why I get a half chub every time I stop to get gas in Missouri... Wait, I can purchase fireworks, liquor, and beer at the gas station!?
docaggie
AG
quote:
I think California is the only place I've been that sells liquor in grocery stores.
Louisiana.

My eyes practically bugged out of my head when I moved to NOLA, back in 2002.
I will admit after awhile I got excited for something new being built down the street, only to get disappointed again when it turned out to be a drive through daiquiri stand.
But yeah, every grocery store had a huge liquor section.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
NColoradoAG
quote:
This is why I get a half chub every time I stop to get gas in Missouri... Wait, I can purchase fireworks, liquor, and beer at the gas station!?

Ain't freedom great
Chipotlemonger
AG
I mean it's fine if you live in Denver or Fort Collins, but I can see it sucking for farther away people.
62strat
AG
A bar can't sell growlers in CO?
NColoradoAG
quote:
A bar can't sell growlers in CO?

No. A brewpub could sell their own beer brewed on site. A bar cannot legally fill a growler from their taps for retail sale.
NColoradoAG
quote:
I mean it's fine if you live in Denver or Fort Collins, but I can see it sucking for farther away people.

I don't think people on the eastern plains are too concerned if they can get growler fills. No one's going to drive kegs out there anyway.

Like I said, it's not that big of a deal to me or many of the people I know. There are so many good breweries and bars that the need for an extra opportunity to take well crafted and packaged beer home is minimal. It would be nice to have, but is not something anyone in the industry here is losing sleep over.
62strat
AG
I guess I never noticed. So by that law, even someone like crooked stave couldn't sell growlers at the source, since it's not brewed there
Maybe there's a loophole, because I've purchased a growler at hall brewing in Parker, which is just a tasting room; the production brewery is offsite on their private land.
NColoradoAG
quote:
I guess I never noticed. So by that law, even someone like crooked stave couldn't sell growlers at the source, since it's not brewed there
Maybe there's a loophole, because I've purchased a growler at hall brewing in Parker, which is just a tasting room; the production brewery is offsite on their private land.

On site may not be the best term. The growler must be filled by the entity that brewed, or contracted, the beer.
dixie whiskey
AG

this is actually a really excellent quad. the second beer I've tried from the box set. 2 for 2 so far, the chocolate orange brown was great as well. still have the saison with sage to go.

eta: tried the uinta crooked line birthday suit 23 last night. raspberry sour. actually kinda reminded me of avery's raspberry sour just a bit. tasty
Chipotlemonger
AG
Awesome, I've always wanted to try those.
aggiemike02
AG
its a very well done 3 pack!
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG

Really like this. Perfect session beer at 3.9%. Since I don't have my wine/beer fridge anymore, it's probably a little too cold, as I can't taste the Brett much. It should be even better as it warms up.

Might need to swing back by the beer store and pick a few more bottles up.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Hop Delusion tonight
Jock 07
AG
Avery raspberry sour for the first time tonight. Not too bad for a readily available sour, however a bit overpriced for what it is.
big-ag
AG
Surprisingly decent selection at Dr Pepper Ballpark in Frisco. Had a Hop Hunter, Otra Vez, and a very meh Roughriders Red (appears to be contract brewed by Franconia. Pretty cool bar area that they added this year on the third base line.
zephyrtexan
AG
Cracked open this beaut from Sante Adairius last night.

And oh my.
steve00
AG
It was a Firestone Walker kind of night. The 2014 Sucaba is drinking very nice.
AgEng06
AG
Good to hear. I have one waiting in the fridge.
big-ag
AG
An April Fool's joke a bit too late...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/nation-now/2016/05/10/budweiser-renames-cans-beer-america-anheuser-busch/84176886/
Represent830
First Page Last Page
Page 919 of 1791

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.