Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,717,277 Views | 62712 Replies | Last: 46 min ago by SoTxAg
Lt. Joe Bookman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Seeked out a Saison based on liking the Walloon. The Great Devide Collette. Not bad. Much more floral than the Walloon, which for me, was one of the things I liked about the Walloon.

jetch17
AG
I bet you'd dig the Karbach BarnBurner or Buffalo Bayou Summer Hibiscus if you're in Houston
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I'm in CS, but about to move to Dallas for work. I've been thinking about heading down to Houston and visiting Karbach and the Petrol Station one last time. Is the the Barn Burner new? We visited in March but I don't remember seeing it. Is it in cans?
army01
AG
Helgs - I see your chocolate Oak aged Yeti, and raise you....

jetch17
AG
quote:
I'm in CS, but about to move to Dallas for work. I've been thinking about heading down to Houston and visiting Karbach and the Petrol Station one last time. Is the the Barn Burner new? We visited in March but I don't remember seeing it. Is it in cans?

It's the latest release, but only in draft around Houston.
helgs
AG
Nice, army!
wurmhole
AG
As much as I love those wood aged Yetis, its hot enough now that I probably would have let them mellow in the closet until about mid November.
bonfirewillburn
AG
Had the real ale anniversary imperial stout that was aged In the makers barrels, outstanding!!

AG
quote:
quote:
Starting around noon tomorrow it'll be a weekend of consuming mass quantities of coors light and whatever I find at the Georgetown Specs

Are you from Georgetown Fours? Depending on where you are, it may be closer/better to head to Hamrick's Market in Cedar Park. They have a pretty awesome Austin beer selection.

Not from there. Just passed through on my way to Inks Lake.
army01
AG
Wish I could, but we are moving in 2 weeks. Going for a bomber a night to reduce the load...tiny apt while we build does not have room for all of my beer...
Marooned_n_Aggieland
The Buffalo Bayou Summer Hibiscus is available in CS for a limited time.

My review.
BSD
AG
Petrol will be open for lunch when the remodel is complete! Can I get a Hell Yeah?
jetch17
AG
Finally, Rancors again!
jetch17
AG
Got a pretty significant bone around the can inventory at Karbach today

army01
AG
Tonight's beer: DFH 75 minute IPA

Marooned_n_Aggieland
I ran across a display at HEB featuring 750ml bottles from Adelbert's Brewery in Austin. Anyone try their stuff? From what I saw in the display the brewery is working the Belgian angle which is just fine with me. Prices were up in the range of the other Belgians.

Beer Advocate
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Marooned...
Yes. Pg 85 for reference... Not much to say about them. The Philosophizer was great. The Rambler was a solid meh for me. I'd definitely pick them up again.
helgs
AG
Spadilly, you try that DFH Festina Pecha?
713nervy
AG
I did last night--holy Georgia.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
mbole, HEB had 4 in all including both of them. I'll consider giving them a try then. My question and your answer highlight a big problem with this method of discussing brews and opinions. It's hard to track down if a beer has been reviewed.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
It's BEER TIME!

Did some grass cutting again tonight and pulled the Hoegaarden out for the treat at the end of the job. What can I say about this beer? Hoegaarden is pretty much the standard for the Belgian White wheat beer category and for good reason. Very light drinking, citrusy and just simply a great beer for the summer. I put Blanche de Bruxells right here to with it having a bit more citrus taste up front.

I give both of them a 5.

army01
AG
More house packing, and more cleaning out the beer fridge. My supply is slowly dwindling....it is going to be a sad day for me when these beers are gone.

army01
AG
That Maximus was nice...on to beer #2. When I purchased this, I was much more of a stout drinker than I am now. My preference has definitely evolved into more of an IPA fan, though I do enjoy the occasional stout (really liked my home brew). That being said, the Young's Double Chocolate falls a bit short to me. It's okay, but cannot compare to the IPA I just finished....

p-wonk01
AG
I picked up several bottles of one of my favorite beers last night...Deschutes Hop in the Dark!
AggieOO
quote:
I ran across a display at HEB featuring 750ml bottles from Adelbert's Brewery in Austin. Anyone try their stuff? From what I saw in the display the brewery is working the Belgian angle which is just fine with me. Prices were up in the range of the other Belgians.

Marooned - i'm a big fan of belgians, so keep that in mind. I really like Dancin' Monks and Naked Nun. The Rambler is pretty good as well. I've had their others too, but actually don't remember too much about them. I went to the brewery opening and did the tour a couple months ago. I tried those other beers there, an I was pretty tipsy when I gave them a shot.
BSD
AG
quote:
I picked up several bottles of one of my favorite beers last night...Deschutes Hop in the Dark!

I had that Friday night. One of my favorite beers from those guys.

[This message has been edited by Bsd (edited 6/25/2012 12:04p).]
BSD
AG
http://8thwonderbrewery.com

Has this been discussed
jetch17
AG
mildly, i guess theyre fixin to open up tours & sh*t ... will have to give it a whirl when they start hittin the taps around Tine
BSD
AG
Cool, I'll be on the lookout as well. I was reading a Houston Press article about "where the chefs eat" and saw that one of the guys involved in the Eatsie Boys food truck was opening this brewery.
Jock 07
AG
A coworker of mine (from colorado originally who just separated from the military) knows I enjoy and appreciate good beer, and somewhat seriously, asked me if I thought trying to open a brewery in Texas would be a good idea. I feel that the craft brewery market in this country and especially in Texas, is becoming saturated. How many breweries can a city like Houston support?

[This message has been edited by Jock 07 (edited 6/25/2012 8:01p).]
jetch17
AG
Houston is still eating it up, all up and comers are being embraced
Jock 07
AG
Yeah I love trying all the new stuff whenever I make it back to town and plan on hitting up Karbach when I come home @ the end of July/beginning of August. I'd just hate to see the new smaller less professional breweries start running out of money. Is buffalo bayou or one of the other newer breweries in town doing tours yet?
Jock 07
AG
Enjoying one of these tonight.

I love my big hoppy ipas and dipas as much as the next guy, but when it comes to barleywines I have to say I prefer the English style.
jetch17
AG
Buffalo bayou is running tours now. 8th Wonder is fixing to, City Acre brewing is still running monthly events.

No Label is starting to bottle and will start distributing in a few weeks. Saint A & Karbach are hummin'
Jock 07
AG
Jetch how would rank the tine breweries? Really enjoyed Karbach particularly the rodeo clown last time I was in town
First Page Last Page
Page 91 of 1792

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.