Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,643,237 Views | 62614 Replies | Last: 22 min ago by jh0400
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think it's of sound logic to say 'I don't want to drink this special beer on a regular occasion, because then I won't have it on a special occasion.'
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
I think it's of sound logic to say 'I don't want to drink this special beer on a regular occasion, because then I won't have it on a special occasion.'

True, but that point stops being pertinent when you can never justify an occasion to open those beers.
Hickory High
AG
quote:
quote:

True, but that point stops being pertinent when you can never justify an occasion to open those beers.
This is my life.
cc10106
Trading and sharing generally keeps my stash from getting too unreasonable. Having help to drink the bigger bottles is key for me.

I haven't tried blending many beers, but this combo turned out pretty damn good last night. The Temptress was too berry-heavy for me, but the BBT's light tartness and barrel mellowed it out. UPGRAYEDD.

Hub05
AG
Feeling like I should share a beer is a big reason why I didn't open a lot of bottles and its a legit reason, but it also caused me to end up with more bottles than I needed too. Time to start creating reasons to open a nice beer. We just found out today that my wife is going to be induced a few weeks early to ensure the health of our baby girl. Time to celebrate or drink my anxiety away!
army01
AG
quote:
Trading and sharing generally keeps my stash from getting too unreasonable. Having help to drink the bigger bottles is key for me.

I haven't tried blending many beers, but this combo turned out pretty damn good last night. The Temptress was too berry-heavy for me, but the BBT's light tartness and barrel mellowed it out. UPGRAYEDD.

Is that a '14 BBT? I still have one, but have read that a lot of them were infected, which I guess is why there was a tartness on your bottle.
NColoradoAG
quote:
quote:
quote:

This is my life.

Dude, you're still in school. You have a reason daily to drink beer. A on an exam, bam, pop a bottle. Ags win a baseball game, bam, pop a bottle. Thursday afternoon and class is done, bam, pop a bottle. Complete a mission on The Division without dying, bam, pop a bottle. Group of new girls move in next door, bam, pop a bottle. Bang one of said girls, bam, pop a bottle. Bang her roommate, bam, pop a bottle.

And I sent you all 16.9 oz or less bottles so no excuses for waiting to share a 750ml.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Still in school Hick? I didn't get hit by the craft beer bug until after college. I will echo some of what NColoradoAg said. Plenty of small victories that need to be celebrated in school.
NColoradoAG
quote:
Still in school Hick? I didn't get hit by the craft beer bug until after college. I will echo some of what NColoradoAg said. Plenty of small victories that need to be celebrated in school.
I am thinking Hickory High is the new Collin.
GoAgs92
AG
Speaking of Lone Pint, if you can find their Zythophile Dr. Rudi on tap somewhere, give it a try.

Had it at Cottonwood on Shepherd a few weeks ago.

Kyle98
AG
No worries, and I get it. I'm actually opening a BBT15 later tonight to celebrate an occasion. I don't really have much of a cellar, anyway.
turfman80
AG
quote:
quote:
I am thinking Hickory High is the new Collin.
Nailed it, NCol!!

We need to have a new Collin here, now that the original has moved on to the craft beer nirvana of the Pacific Northwest. Someone we can mentor, someone we can guide...you know, someone we can corrupt with hedonistics beers.
Represent830
AG
quote:
Sooooo, I'm the only one who has a beer or two with lunch every couple of days?
Work from Home on Mondays normally means a Live Oak Hefe at lunch for me.
Represent830
AG
As for the aging thing, I don't age mine for taste, as my memory is so bad that if I did, I couldn't tell you how it tasted the first time.

But I do sympathize with those who store theirs. NoCo I started following you on IG and holy cow, I think it's a little easy for you to just say "pop a bottle"... you're really heavy into the trading and can get any type you want. Some of us aren't on that level, but I do see your point.

Personally, I hold on to my best stuff for big events. I'm doing my fantasy baseball draft this weekend and my buddy who got me into craft beer in coming in and we are going HAM. Then there are some that I'm saving for occasions, such as my last Atrial that AgEng gave me that I'm saving for my first child. :-) I also have a small group of dudes here in SA that get together every now and then to do a mini share and we bring our good stuff. I got tired of bringing a new Jester King to my inlaws' house and letting people try it and not appreciate it like these guys (and yall) do. I like to bust out my good stuff because normally it's with someone else that has something else really good that I don't have access to. Win win!

Just my $.02

Kyle98
AG
Celebrating my Federal Recognition orders to Captain finally getting published! (State orders were cut in August, but I'm not officially promoted until it goes through the FedRec process at DoD)
cc10106
quote:
quote:

Is that a '14 BBT? I still have one, but have read that a lot of them were infected, which I guess is why there was a tartness on your bottle.
It's a '14 that someone returned to the brewery last year actually. My previous bottle was more tart, but luckily the '15 batch was back to normal. Now I wanna try it with the French Quarter version.
Jock 07
AG
Congrats dude
jh0400
AG
I hold stuff because I purchase more than I drink. We only usually drink one bomber per week on Saturday, and the rest of our drinking is wine or "normal" beers if we're at home.
AgEng06
AG
You guys inspired me to open a 2-yr old Bomb! this evening. It's still a great beer.
Kyle98
AG
quote:
You guys inspired me to open a 2-yr old Bomb! this evening. It's still a great beer.
turfman80
AG
In deference to NoCal's recommendation, I opened the Bishops Barrel 13 I picked up at Petrol Station last night on a trip to HTown, instead of saving it for a future trade or stowing it in the cellar.

Adam, you have my addy.
Kyle98
AG
I've got a nearly 2 year old sherry oak aged barley wine from Scotland that I'm going to have to open here, soon. Maybe I'll take it to El Paso here in a couple of weeks for drill when I get pinned.
NColoradoAG
quote:
As for the aging thing, I don't age mine for taste, as my memory is so bad that if I did, I couldn't tell you how it tasted the first time.

But I do sympathize with those who store theirs. NoCo I started following you on IG and holy cow, I think it's a little easy for you to just say "pop a bottle"... you're really heavy into the trading and can get any type you want. Some of us aren't on that level, but I do see your point.

Personally, I hold on to my best stuff for big events. I'm doing my fantasy baseball draft this weekend and my buddy who got me into craft beer in coming in and we are going HAM. Then there are some that I'm saving for occasions, such as my last Atrial that AgEng gave me that I'm saving for my first child. :-) I also have a small group of dudes here in SA that get together every now and then to do a mini share and we bring our good stuff. I got tired of bringing a new Jester King to my inlaws' house and letting people try it and not appreciate it like these guys (and yall) do. I like to bust out my good stuff because normally it's with someone else that has something else really good that I don't have access to. Win win!

Just my $.02

I actually don't trade much anymore, at least nationally. Maybe once or twice each few months. Trading has changed a lot since I got into it 5 years ago. I do have a fair amount of memberships though. But I still rarely put a beer in the cellar that I don't have another bottle of to drink fresh. Certain lambics I may trade for and not have fresh because I've had them many times in previous batches.

I guess my point was mainly don't age a beer just because you think it will get better. 80% of the time it won't.

I definitely hold certain bottles for big shares. For example, double barrel Hunahpu. I had three bottles of that beer. Had one right when I got it about 2 years ago. Had another later that year. Then I held my last one against my better judgment until the "right time came along." When we opened it last weekend it was such a shell of itself. There were a dozen other times the last year I could have opened that bottle and it probably would have been more enjoyable.
Hickory High
AG
Hey guys. So here's my craft beer testimony.

I'm currently a senior at A&M, so I turned 21 about a year and a half ago. I never really saw the point in pounding 12 Natty's at a party because 1. it tastes awful and 2. I'm not thirsty anymore after three of them. Four of my really good friends, however, are about 5-6 years older than I am, and they'd be doing this craft beer thing for a while. I cautiously stepped to the edge of the pool worked my to the deep end. The first beer I ever bought myself was a plain ol' Shiner, and after I drank it in my home, I decided I was going to try everything, and collect the first beer bottle of every new beer I try. I've done that to this day, and the bottles make great house decoration lining my window ledge. I could post picture of it if anyone is interested, I'm quite proud of it.

So I started with all the Shiner's, then all Saint Arnolds, then all Karbach, all No Label, all Real Ale, all Sierra Nevada, and on and on. I've basically tried everything HEB has to offer (besides Ballast Point, surprisingly it isn't in the College Station HEB). Fast forward to today, and I'm basically an alien to the rest of my college friends. I've been able to try a lot of extremely rare stuff, but I'm ready for the next level. Problem is I don't know how to acquire it.Teach me your ways, O beer thread.
maca1028
On the membership thing, I've thought about joining a few but I'm always afraid I'll never find a proxy or the fact that I won't have enough quality "thank you" beers to send someone for a goandpickitupformebro. What is typically considered good repayment for a proxy?
jah003
S
Don't need no excuse to open up a beer... Wednesday night, good as any. It's also the night that we make love 'cause there's nothing good on TV.

62strat
AG
quote:
Don't need no excuse to open up a beer... Wednesday night, good as any. It's also the night that we make love 'cause there's nothing good on TV.

don't forget to recycle that bottle, because recycling is very important.
Jock 07
AG
I've started capping beers and then finishing them the next day or two. That helps me extend the life of my beers and my cellar stock.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
The occasion for tonight is that I tracked down enough Pirate Bomb! to go ahead and open one. I've been dreaming of the first time I had this beer back in October 2014, and it's just as good as I remember. My favorite Prairie by a good margin-- yes, including Apple Brandy Noir. Tastes like chocolate covered roasted coconut, with some subtle heat that shows up more once it warms up.

AgEng06
AG
Awesome.

That's one of the few Prairie beers I haven't been able to track down.
Post removed:
by user
Represent830
AG
quote:
Celebrating my Federal Recognition orders to Captain finally getting published! (State orders were cut in August, but I'm not officially promoted until it goes through the FedRec process at DoD)

Congrats. If they pick me back up I'll pin CPT after my discharge is removed.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Awesome glass
maca1028
Is there anymore of that floating around town?
Bmac04
AG
quote:
On the membership thing, I've thought about joining a few but I'm always afraid I'll never find a proxy or the fact that I won't have enough quality "thank you" beers to send someone for a goandpickitupformebro. What is typically considered good repayment for a proxy?
If there is a certain membership you are wanting to sign up for but need a proxy give me a holla. I have enough beer peps around the US that I can probably help out with whatever you need.

As far as thank you beers go, all the people that proxy for me dont expect a thing but of course I always send them stuff anyway. Even if you are just sending a box of local stuff that either they have had before and like or stuff they havent tried they are happy with the gesture. There are plenty of good beer people out there that are willing to help out others.
First Page Last Page
Page 876 of 1789

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.