Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,641,248 Views | 62609 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by SoTxAg
maca1028
How long do you want to ignore this user?
big-ag
AG
Loved Avery's tap room in Boulder. Tons of sours on tap.

It's a drive from Denver to Ft Collins, but if you can get on the list the tour at New Belgium is great.
Chipotlemonger
AG
For my fellow DFW cicerones:

https://instagr.am/p/BCbXHLFOBEQ

Sunday tap list at Braindead Brewing. Great atmosphere and food.
Represent830
AG
quote:
Denver questions. Mulling a quick trip at the end of the month.

If we stay in downtown, what part? Is it easiest to rent a car, or will we be paying out the ass in parking fees? Would it be easier to just uber/cab? Best breweries? What else?

I've only flown in to denver and then driven directly up into the mountains.
Co-sign. Will be headed up sometime soon as well.
big-ag
AG
Love the brisket tacos at Braindead.
DallasAggie2012
AG
Wicked Weed coming to Texas is fantastic news! Bruery and now Wicked Weed is good stuff. Hopefully they send some Freak of Nature down here. Stuff is delicious.
Scriffer
AG
So are any of your wives also obsessed with Fixer Upper, and therefore you're being dragged to Round Top at the end of the month? A quick Google search doesn't show any breweries around there, but there's got to be a way to put those thousands of Mason jars to good use.
Moxie
AG
quote:
So are any of your wives also obsessed with Fixer Upper, and therefore you're being dragged to Round Top at the end of the month? A quick Google search doesn't show any breweries around there, but there's got to be a way to put those thousands of Mason jars to good use.

Brazos Valley Brewery is in Brenham which is close, although I've never been to know if it's any good.
Mustang1
AG
quote:

If we stay in downtown, what part? Is it easiest to rent a car, or will we be paying out the ass in parking fees? Would it be easier to just uber/cab? Best breweries? What else?

I usually stay close to Coors Field/16th Mall area.
La Fours
AG
Royer's Restaurant in Round Top has a decent craft beer selection. And they are famous for their pies and the crazy old guy who owns the place.

Speaking of Fixer Upper, one of my good friends from high school and Aggie grad was on the show this season. His episode was the first of the season. The house in Hillsboro that they did.
La Fours
AG
Just saw on Facebook that Wicked Weed got TABC approval to sell in Texas!!!!

***Eff. I didn't see maca's post from 2 hours ago. /blackeye
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
quote:
My wife is obsessed with the show, but thankfully hasn't mentioned anything about that.

Just looked it up... looks miserable. Good luck.

Chipotlemonger
AG
What's the fixer upper event? My gf loves that show, glad we live farther away from Round Top.
dave99ag
AG
Wicked Weed in Texas? Yes, please!

Scriff, just drop her off and come have a beer with me.
jh0400
AG
I wouldn't rent a car in Denver. IIRC, the Uber ride from the airport to Downtown was ~$90. The ride from our hotel to Crooked stave was $6 or so. If you stay in the downtown area, it's a pretty pedestrian-friendly city. Of course we only went to one tap room while we were there. The rest of our time was spent at Falling Rock getting turnt on Pliny during the Alabama game.
La Fours
AG
I think these are actually two separate things. Round Top hosts an annual antique show called La Bahia each year. My aunt has an antique shop and has a tent each year at La Bahia that my mom helps with. Shows like the Fixer Upper use antiques or distressed items, aka faux antiques, as part of the decor, so herds of women flock to these antique shows like La Bahia so they can try and decorate like Joanna Gaines or the Junk Gypsy women.
dave99ag
AG
I'm going to refer to you from now on as Shabby La Fours. You know too much about this subject.
La Fours
AG
I would bet most of the larger hotels will have a shuttle from the airport, or there is a shuttle service to transport folks for much cheaper than $90. It's a pain in the ass with the airport being out east of town like that.
AggieOO
quote:
I wouldn't rent a car in Denver. IIRC, the Uber ride from the airport to Downtown was ~$90. The ride from our hotel to Crooked stave was $6 or so. If you stay in the downtown area, it's a pretty pedestrian-friendly city. Of course we only went to one tap room while we were there. The rest of our time was spent at Falling Rock getting turnt on Pliny during the Alabama game.
rental car for the entire weekend is about $50 total.
AggieOO
quote:
yes, she's obsessed with the show.

good news for me is, she'd rather go to a brewery than Round Top.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
quote:

I did a trip to Denver a month or so ago on a budget and was in the same situation-- always having passed through Denver on the way into the mountains. I wasn't able to afford renting a car but found that airBnB and Uber made the whole trip very affordable. In the future, I would also have considered getting a Zip Car membership ($25 to start, then whatever the rate was per hour or day) but didn't look into it until too late. I could have reached out to day trips in the mountains, Fort Collins or Colorado Springs for a pretty decent rate if I'd had the foresight.

In short, my first experience with AirBnb (in which I rented a private single room in a 20-something couple's house for $18/night) left me thinking I won't go back to paying for a hotel room anytime soon. You're able to rent an entire home, room, shared room, whatever, and there are plenty of reviews for peace of mind/insider info. I would highly recommend looking at what's available in downtown and near-downtown Denver. My hosts were awesome and even mailed me some beer I wasn't able to get to the post office in time.

My airBnb was located just outside downtown, so I'd end up paying $6-9 per Uber trip to and from downtown, which is all I needed to do because I was basically touring breweries and eating at places. So if you stay downtown, I really don't think you need a rental car for every day of the trip. There's also a $9 shuttle to and from the airport and downtown.

As for the breweries, I really recommend getting out to the new Avery brewery in Boulder if you get a rental or Zip Car, or take a bus that way. Beyond that, there are several I liked relatively close to one another in downtown Denver. Crooked Stave, Our Mutual Friend, Ratio Beerworks, Epic, and Black Shirt Brewing are all within walking distance and aren't the only ones in the area. I'm sure you'll get plenty of recommendations on here for breweries, so I'll leave it at that.

I had amazing pizza at a place called Cart + Driver (a shipping container restaurant downtown); so amazing in fact that I went there twice in the four days I was in Denver. If they have the clam, pancetta, garlic, and cream sauce pizza-- get it. Euclid Hall also had some really solid food and a million things I wanted to order, as well as good beer options of course. Avery's taproom food was really good too.
jh0400
AG
quote:
I would bet most of the larger hotels will have a shuttle from the airport, or there is a shuttle service to transport folks for much cheaper than $90. It's a pain in the ass with the airport being out east of town like that.

I was there for work M - W, and my wife and I flew up on the Friday beforehand, so I was able to expense the ride in from the airport. It was also a black car, so that ran the price up by ~$30.
AggieOO
We are looking at a quick weekend trip for our 1 year anniversary. We've got a bunch of other trips this year so not concerned with the short amount of time, especially with cheap flight. Wife is not concerned with where we stay as long as it's clean, safe, private, and a decent proximity. She would rather spend money on food and beer. With the short trip, we would likely stick close to downtown. Good info so far. Much appreciated.
dave99ag
AG
Be sure to have breakfast at Snooze AM. Two locations downtown.

And yes, visit Falling Rock.

For good pizza and beer, Hops & Pie. It'd be a short Uber drive with no car.
jh0400
AG
quote:
Be sure to have breakfast at Snooze AM. Two locations downtown.

And yes, visit Falling Rock.

For good pizza and beer, Hops & Pie. It'd be a short Uber drive with no car.

Another brunch option is Sassafras. We went to the one on Colfax, and it was great.
Jock 07
AG
Has the airport light rail line opened yet? Another option to and from the airport is RTD's SkyRide
AggieOO
Lakeline HEB has abyss and chocolate BBH.
Total wine has DR16
jah003
S
quote:
I think these are actually two separate things. Round Top hosts an annual antique show called La Bahia each year. My aunt has an antique shop and has a tent each year at La Bahia that my mom helps with. Shows like the Fixer Upper use antiques or distressed items, aka faux antiques, as part of the decor, so herds of women flock to these antique shows like La Bahia so they can try and decorate like Joanna Gaines or the Junk Gypsy women.

I had to go to that Fixer Upper store in Waco with my wife...

Never again.

I sat in the corner with my daughter and tried to keep my sanity. There was a freaking line to get into the store!

Guys... If your wife/significant other ever tries to get you to go to that store... Fake a heart attack, tell her your cheating, cut a jugular... Anything you can do. Do it.
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
Has the airport light rail line opened yet? Another option to and from the airport is RTD's SkyRide

A line opens next month, I believe.
Scriffer
AG
Been there. Suffered.
Represent830
AG
I must be lucky. She always takes girls trips to these places and leaves me alone to do things like watch sports at home or go to breweries.

Always encourage her to take a friend instead!
corndog04
AG
One of the bars here did a triple blind taste test between Pliny the Younger and 5 Oregon triple IPAs. I've been biased toward Notorius since doing a side by side several years ago, glad to see it isn't just me being an Oregon beer homer. Only other one I've had from the list is Breakside Safe Word - I'd probably give PtY the edge but it would be really close.

Results (from 120 raters):
1st: Boneyard Notorious
2nd: pFriem Triple IPA
3rd: Breakside Safe Word
4th: Russian River Pliny The Younger
5th: Culmination Ferret The Younger
6th: Ecliptic Hypernova
62strat
AG
quote:
It's a pain in the ass with the airport being out east of town like that.
It's 20 miles from downtown.. IAH is 20 miles as well, and I bet takes longer most times/days, considering half of DIA-Denver is Pena which is no traffic.

I love the location of DIA, and E470 going to it. Makes for a 30 minute trip every time, no matter the time of day, from my house.

The A line will be 35 minutes, and only $9 a trip, and opens 4/22.
62strat
AG
Man why didn't I think of this! Perfect for Shark Tank.

http://www.bottlekeeper.com/
Inspector Spacetime
AG
quote:
quote:
It's a pain in the ass with the airport being out east of town like that.
It's 20 miles from downtown.. IAH is 20 miles as well, and I bet takes longer most times/days, considering half of DIA-Denver is Pena which is no traffic.

I love the location of DIA, and E470 going to it. Makes for a 30 minute trip every time, no matter the time of day, from my house.

The A line will be 35 minutes, and only $9 a trip, and opens 4/22.

If the rail isn't up in time, this is basically how long and same cost as the bus trips to and from downtown as well.
First Page Last Page
Page 855 of 1789

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.