Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,568,418 Views | 62489 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by La Fours
Jock 07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Excellent, I'll have to grab one or two. Now if I could only track down some mother **** rye.
AggieOO
And to be fair, the last black crack I had was probably 3 years ago, so I'm going off memory. However, I specifically remember splitting it 18th a buddy and we both really liked it.

I have this year's but have not drank it yet.
jetch17
AG
Sheeeeeit... No love down here. If BSD can't make it happen in Tine, errbody fugged

/ibtBSDstumbledintoash*tloadofitwithouthavingtopullstrings
Chipotlemonger
AG
Anybody try Avery Rumpkin before?

Got a bottle in the fridge..:should I drink it soon or do y'all think it'll still be fresh in January?
AggieOO
Couldn't wait on mine. Drank it a few weeks ago. Its high enough alcohol that it'll be fine, though pumpkin might fade a bit.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Okay thanks for the advice. That's kind of what I was figuring, similar to Pumpkinator in how it ages.

I have two 2015 Pumpkinators...think I'll open one soon and the other in a year.
gordo97
AG
I ran across Avery PumpKYn at HEB tonight and when I saw that it was $14 for a 12oz I thought to myself "what a steal"...... If you're a lottery winner and you wipe your butt with $100 bills.... What a freaking joke
Chipotlemonger
AG
That's higher than Prairie's ridiculous price range
gordo97
AG
On the other hand, Black Crack was pretty damn good for $10 a 16oz
Jock 07
AG
I'm a bit bummed that I'm going to miss the darkest night at the ft worth saucer this year.
army01
AG
Today's beer run...
Chipotlemonger
AG
Whoa
No Bat Soup For You
AG
I can't read the BCBS labels. Can you color coordinate that for me? What are they?
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
That's higher than Prairie's ridiculous price range

I don't know why I'm laughing. I spent some dough on an Avery Rumpkin, albeit that 12 oz beer is 18% ABV.
DaveHimself
AG
Red = barley wine
Orange = coffee
Purple = rye
62strat
AG
All of the Avery single 12 oz bottles are $1/oz +. But, as mentioned, they are all pretty much 15%+, some closer to 20%. That's 3-4 regular beers worth of alcohol. The extra ingredients, brewing process (freeze distillation likely?) and barrel aging time (plus small batch) brings their cost way up.

So I scored a free 121 bottle, dual zone Nfinity wine enthusiast fridge. Only thing, it has a fried component (I think a capacitor) on the electrical board. Maybe an easy fix, I don't know, but I figured the storage alone was worth getting it down to my basement.

I got it down there and started loading up and had a duh moment; the bottles are stored on their side. Anybody think that's a deal breaker for storage? I've read some of the concerns people have, but damn it's a hell of a fridge, and I can store 121 bottles in a 2X2X5 space. Maybe I can just put my corked varieties in there, since corked beers seem to be OK on their sides in most of what I've read.

If I had overwhelming doubt, I might try and fix the board, get it working again, and get lots of hundreds of dollars out of it.. for more beer of course.
Hudson2508
AG
Would it be possible to reconfigure it for vertical storage with shelves? That would be pretty awesome.

I've also read a few places, might have been an article on Cantillon, about how they cellar their beer horizontally. I need to find where I read that.
Jock 07
AG
I wouldn't put anything bottle conditioned on its side.
But I also might not know what the hell im talmbout
jh0400
AG
Whole Foods Bellaire has BCBW and BCBS in bottles with BCBW and Regal Rye on tap. The Regal Rye is so good. I should've ducked out of work to get a bottle yesterday.
army01
AG
I wish I could have gotten 2 bottles of the regal rye.
Jock 07
AG
Will they do growler fills on the rye? Fixing to have my brother head over and get some for Christmas
jh0400
AG
No growler fills.
Jock 07
AG
Well **** me. Any leads on more tappings of rye next week in the Houston area?
NoneGiven
AG
quote:
Well **** me. Any leads on more tappings of rye next week in the Houston area?
Send him there with a couple friends and a funnel
62strat
AG
quote:
Would it be possible to reconfigure it for vertical storage with shelves? That would be pretty awesome.

Hah.. thanks.. another duh moment, it has 11 shelves, and they come out.. so I could just leave 3 shelves in for vertical storage. Each shelf (about 2'x2') could hold a 6X6 or 6X5 grid... That's ~90-108+ bottles. Boom. Doesn't display quite as nice as pulling out a shelf and seeing all labels face up.. but still great storage for the footprint.

And if I get it working, even better, I can set a proper temp.
jh0400
AG
So after saying that I thought Cascade beers were overpriced, I apparently stopped in at D&Q on the way home from my office Christmas party and bought a $30 Goose Island 2013 Halia.
62strat
AG
Oh yeh GI's sours are damn high.. Mostly in the high $20s.

But Madame Rose is maybe the best cherry sour I've ever had.
Hudson2508
AG
Nice. As soon as I find our next house in this Godforsaken city (a little perturbed by the Austin real estate market) I'm going to be in search of an awesome beer cellaring fridge. I really want an old school vintage looking fridge but may just settle for efficiency.
BSD
AG
Just buy a fridge that works and cover it in beer stickers. That's my plan when we build a new house and have room (just have a few beverage centers right now).
BSD
AG
Son of a *****! I missed out on HEB's Regal Rye. I'm about to put a foot up someone's ass. Did Specs get any? WF?
jh0400
AG
quote:
Son of a *****! I missed out on HEB's Regal Rye. I'm about to put a foot up someone's ass. Did Specs get any? WF?

WF was draft only for on-prem consumption.
Hudson2508
AG
So if anyone who missed on BCBS coffee wants one I'd trade mine for a JK fruited sour or something similar. I realized a lot of people missed on it and coffee beers aren't my favorite in the world so I'd rather someone else enjoy it if they want it.

Coffee and Regal Rye seem to be the hardest to find in Austin.
army01
AG
quote:
So after saying that I thought Cascade beers were overpriced, I apparently stopped in at D&Q on the way home from my office Christmas party and bought a $30 Goose Island 2013 Halia.

Haven't had Halia, but GI Lolita and juliet are awesome. Well worth the price.
La Fours
AG
You would need to add on your end to get a fair deal. Jk fruited are waaaaaaay less in number.
soso33
Thanks to you Austin guys for the low down on the best places to go. I haven't gone to any yet, but I did find BBH at an Austin heb today.
First Page Last Page
Page 811 of 1786

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.