Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,659,491 Views | 62636 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by maca1028
dave99ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A buddy of mine is nearing 2000 unique beers. I don't think we've ever had the same beer twice when drinking beer.
Chipotlemonger
AG
That's insane.

maca1028
Man, December 7th for the variants, I was hoping for the 4th or 11th.
Do any of you guys have Instagram?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Speaking of which: what are everyone's winter go to's?

Now that Thanksgiving has come and gone we are past the pumpkin and Oktoberfest beers I feel.

Having a nice stout right now and it had me wondering. I've only been in the serious beer game for a year or so, so I don't have any kind of winter go to's.
Kyle98
AG
That's what I love about homebrewing. I don't worry about seasons! I just kegged a saison, and have a dunkelweizen fermenting.

Having said that, I love a good Russian Imperial Stout, barrel aged or not, on a cold winter day. That, or a Belgian quad.
La Fours
AG
So I picked up a bottle of Christmas Bomb tonight on my way home. Opened it up and started drinking.

Then about 5 minutes into it I noticed my neck was getting really hot and itchy. So I go into the bathroom to see wtf is going on and see that my face is all red. So is my neck.

I sent prairie an email asking about what they add to bomb to make it Christmas bomb. Never had his happen before. Also the few sips I drank before dumping it out, were ok. Nothing special.
Jock 07
AG
That's weird. On another note, one of my local liquor stores is putting a lot of the prairie on sell and said they're not going to carry their stuff anymore as it just sits.
army01
AG
quote:
So I picked up a bottle of Christmas Bomb tonight on my way home. Opened it up and started drinking.

Then about 5 minutes into it I noticed my neck was getting really hot and itchy. So I go into the bathroom to see wtf is going on and see that my face is all red. So is my neck.

I sent prairie an email asking about what they add to bomb to make it Christmas bomb. Never had his happen before. Also the few sips I drank before dumping it out, were ok. Nothing special.

Whoa!
army01
AG
quote:
Bmac is 2500+
I'm with Hudson...not so much impressed with the volumn as much as the quality. Dude has a beer **** that is like 14" long and a girth of about 10". Basically, he is the equivalent of a bottle of Rodenbach Caractre Rouge (no homo, not that there is anything wrong with that).
docaggie
AG
Geez LaFours. Hard to imagine what it might be. Did you load up on some antihistamines?

I saw a ton of Prarie beers today with a lot of dust on them on the shelves. I've never been fond of them. Thought they were okay, but not so wonderful I'd go chasing them down.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Jason_Ag98
AG
Yikes! I like Prairie beers but I've stopped buying them very often because they're just so expensive. At $9-12 for a 12oz bottle (for Bomb/Noir and variants) it's hard to justify when there are so many other good options.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Damn! I just bought a bottle this past weekend, hopefully it doesn't give me the same reaction!
La Fours
AG
I took a benadryl and went to bed. All better this morning.
Mustang1
AG
quote:

Founders Breakfast Stout is my current #1
ChipFTAC01
AG
I've plowed through a couple of packs of Yule Shoot Your Eye Out in the last week. I hadn't had it since that first year and forgotten how much I liked it.

Harpoon's Winter Warmer and Chocolate Stout are favorites around this time of year.
Jock 07
AG
I typically start making a dent in my barrelworks stockpile during the winter.
BSD
AG
La Fours gots the AIDS!!!!

DaveHimself
AG
My favorite every day winter seasonals are Avery Old Jubilation, SN Celebration and Founders Breakfast Stout.
soso33
Re: the Prairie Christmas Bomb

The usual suspects for a holiday spiced beer could include any one of the following:

cinnamon sticks
nutmeg and nutmeg seed
vanilla beans
allspice berries
whole cloves
coriander seeds
nectarine peels
orange zest
dried cherries
star anise
cinnamon
ginger
cardamom pod

Any food allergies to any of these that you are aware of?
soso33
And BTW, I have one of these sitting in my fridge, and now I'm scared to try it.
Thanks a lot! lol
La Fours
AG
quote:
Re: the Prairie Christmas Bomb

The usual suspects for a holiday spiced beer could include any one of the following:

cinnamon sticks
nutmeg and nutmeg seed
vanilla beans
allspice berries
whole cloves
coriander seeds
nectarine peels
orange zest
dried cherries
star anise
cinnamon
ginger
cardamom pod

Any food allergies to any of these that you are aware of?

I have no known food allergies. I've never had anything like this happen before. I guess I should go to an allergist and get tested.

The only thing I could find last night trying to see what Prairie put in the beer is cinnamon bark. That's the only specific ingredient that I could find that was not in regular Bomb.
La Fours
AG
quote:
And BTW, I have one of these sitting in my fridge, and now I'm scared to try it.
Thanks a lot! lol
Ha, what's the worst that could happen?
La Fours
AG
quote:
La Fours gots the AIDS!!!!

soso33
Just curious, did it taste heavily spiced? Did you enjoy it (until your reaction, of course)?

I'm surprised that any of those spices could be at a high enough concentration to cause a reaction like that. At a homebrewing scale, you might have a teaspoon or two of spices for a five gallon batch. Less is definitely more with mulling spices.

dave99ag
AG
Science says you need to try Christmas Bomb at least two more times to confirm your skin aversion to Prairie seasonal Christmas beers.

Please post your results for peer review.
La Fours
AG
The best I can remember, I got white chocolate, vanilla, the coffee and chili, and maybe even a slight candy cane like peppermint. Nothing tasted off.
La Fours
AG
You provide the next two bottles and I'll be happy to participate in this research. You know. For science!!
army01
AG
quote:
You provide the next two bottles and I'll be happy to participate in this research. You know. For science!!

No Bat Soup For You
AG
quote:

Unlimited budget: Prairie Bomb (not the Christmas version that gives your face gonorrhea)

Budget: Old Rasputin
La Fours
AG
quote:
quote:

Unlimited budget: Prairie Bomb (not the Christmas version that gives your face gonorrhea)

Budget: Old Rasputin
cc10106
I finally got to try Odell's Russian Pirate at lunch, and it was a damn good rum BA stout. Glad I only had one or I'd be real tanked up at work right now!
Jock 07
AG
Had it at the brewery weekend before last as well. Is it in production or a taproom only deal?
cc10106
I've only seen it available on draft in Houston.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Where?
cc10106
Rockwell Grill in Cypress
First Page Last Page
Page 798 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.