Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,675,972 Views | 62647 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by maca1028
jetch17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good lord

2 more weeks til california
turfman80
AG
quote:
Got in the car yesterday and headed north. 9 hours of driving later, and two trips to the brewery, and now I'm headed south with this.

54 Pliny
18 Blind Pig
12 Supplication
12 Consecration

It was a bit difficult since they are on 6 bottle limits for Pliny, but there are several ways to beat the system.

Trying to hit Firestone Walker before they close tonight.
Thanks a lot. Now I have to go change.
maca1028
I love it when mrs maca shares a bottle with me
62strat
AG
54 plinys for personal consumption? 4 a week is almost 14 weeks.. And that's too old

I still have my 2 supplications and 2 sanctifications from my visit there last Easter haha.
steve00
AG
quote:
54 plinys for personal consumption? 4 a week is almost 14 weeks.. And that's too old

I still have my 2 supplications and 2 sanctifications from my visit there last Easter haha.

There are two of us that like Pliny, so my math works out to a very reasonable 27 days, minus anyone that comes over and likes good beer.
La Fours
AG
quote:

Who the f only drinks 4 beers a week? BSD not included.

Drinking my first grapefruit sculpin. Made an impromptu trip to Georgetown today and swung by the specs there. Grabbed a sixer of grapefruit sculpin and a sixer of the latest green house ipa release.

Pretty good. Not sure if it's worth $14 for a six pack.
BSD
AG
quote:

****. Even I would be 4 Pliny's deep in a night. (See below post from a trip out west). Only a giant ***** would drink 4 in a week.

quote:
4 Pliny's and a Bling Pig motherf****a!!!

La Fours
AG
quote:
quote:

****. Even I would be 4 Pliny's deep in a night. (See below post from a trip out west). Only a giant ***** would drink 4 in a week.

quote:
4 Pliny's and a Bling Pig motherf****a!!!

Talmbout

NColoradoAG
quote:
Got in the car yesterday and headed north. 9 hours of driving later, and two trips to the brewery, and now I'm headed south with this.

54 Pliny
18 Blind Pig
12 Supplication
12 Consecration

It was a bit difficult since they are on 6 bottle limits for Pliny, but there are several ways to beat the system.

Buying 72 500 mL bottles of IPA is one of the more new money moves I've seen on this thread. Especially since you live in San Diego.

And you didn't stop at SARA, Rare Barrel, or Cellarmaker?
Inspector Spacetime
AG
Came out to Smith Point, TX (basically middle of nowhere point of land east of HTX facing Galveston across the bay) for the weekend with some Red Bud, Here Gose Nothing, Hop Delusion, Love Child #5, JK Biere de Mier, Prairie Noir and Avery Maharaja. Not balling like the Pliny hog above but having a great beer weekend while off work 3 days in a row for once.
BSD
AG
quote:
Buying 72 500 mL bottles of IPA is one of the more new money moves I've seen on this thread. Especially since you live in San Diego.

Ain't nothing wrong with that! Pliny bottles are limited everywhere so why not load up at the source? Baller move if you ask me.

quote:

This does confuse me. Although SARA isn't really close to the 5.
maca1028
I just want one bottle of west Ashley to see what the fuss is all about
Chipotlemonger
AG
Yea if I lived in that area, I would not need to stock this much as any one time. Could get a box or 2 as needed
jah003
S
Doing a little blind Gose tasting this afternoon. It's essentially Westbrook vs. everyone else. Will report back with findings tonight.
La Fours
AG
Why you gotta be a hater? Not much different than you driving out to Casey. Or those of us who drive to JK for beer. Plus, the trip probably was as much for the fun of making that drive as much as it is to pick up a bunch of beer.
NoneGiven
AG
quote:
quote:

54 Pliny
18 Blind Pig
12 Supplication
12 Consecration

A day ago you were bragging about putting down 16 large format, rare, strong beers between 4 people.

Could you even taste what you were drinking by the time you were done, hater?
NColoradoAG
quote:
quote:
quote:

54 Pliny
18 Blind Pig
12 Supplication
12 Consecration

A day ago you were bragging about putting down 16 large format, rare, strong beers between 4 people.

Could you even taste what you were drinking by the time you were done, hater?
I'm not hating. Sorry I didn't cream my shorts over a trunk full of double IPAs and IPAs. If you want to buy a trunk full of IPA, more power to you. It's not where I'd spend my beer money.

I would assume at least three shipments of Pliny will hit in the time it would take me to drink all that.

In regards to the second part of your post, yes I could taste everything. The average of those 16 bottles was less than 8% abv. It was a perfect mix of lambic, wilds, and stouts so the pallete was never fatigued on one style.
NColoradoAG
quote:
Why you gotta be a hater? Not much different than you driving out to Casey. Or those of us who drive to JK for beer. Plus, the trip probably was as much for the fun of making that drive as much as it is to pick up a bunch of beer.
I've never bought 96 Casey beers at one time, or skirted the posted bottle limits to get more than a set allocation. Plus they have a shelf live measured in years, not weeks.
BSD
AG
It's sounding like someone that used to live in SD is posting trash on NCol's account about the new SD guy.
NColoradoAG
quote:
It's sounding like someone that used to live in SD is posting trash on NCol's account about the new SD guy.
Just defending my opinion. There's a lot of beer out there and not everyone has to agree on everything that goes on in our little corner of the drinking world. Last time I checked, this wasn't Beer Advocate.

I'm gonna go drink some IPA until I can't taste it anymore and pass out on a camping chair.
steve00
AG
quote:
quote:

Ain't nothing wrong with that! Pliny bottles are limited everywhere so why not load up at the source? Baller move if you ask me.

quote:

This does confuse me. Although SARA isn't really close to the 5.

Even in SD you can usually only get 1 Pliny at the liquor store when their shipment comes in. They only get one every other week or so, and you have to watch Instagram and get down there within an hour of them posting it. I like DIPAs in general, and Pliny specifically, so it made sense to stock up. Now I can have a Pliny every day after work this month.

Until recently, the limit was 24 Pliny per person, and they told me they had plenty of it in the back. I don't feel bad about skirting the rules to make my trip worthwhile, especially since I'm not selling or trading any. The point of the limit is to keep liquor stores from buying it and marking it up.

I did map out going to SARA yesterday, but was pretty far out of the way and their site said they didn't have any bottles. I'll check it out next time.

I'm really more disappointed that I didn't have time to go to Yountville for some good food.

Oh, and new money/old money - it all spends the same for the things I want to buy.
NoneGiven
AG
Lol. My palette is stellar after 8 drinks.
NColoradoAG
quote:

As long as it's not Jester King, right?
NoneGiven
AG
quote:
quote:

Well that certainly seems relevant to the conversation.
How'd the 7th beer compare to the 8th, bro?
dave99ag
AG
Visiting JK this evening since I have to be in Austin tomorrow. Definitely not as crowded as a Saturday release day.
NoneGiven
AG
They seem to have streamlined the process a bit.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Good to know. Awesome.
docaggie
AG
quote:
quote:

Drinking my first grapefruit sculpin. Made an impromptu trip to Georgetown today and swung by the specs there. Grabbed a sixer of grapefruit sculpin and a sixer of the latest green house ipa release.

Pretty good. Not sure if it's worth $14 for a six pack.
I live up in Temple and have been seeing it at Spec's up here.
And then again tonight at the Belton HEB, which is unusual since they don't get much in the way of rarities.
So, I'm guessing they've upped their production.
I didn't notice the price as I'm on a moratorium from beer for another 7 months, and don't care for IPAs anyway (I'm ducking already to avoid the missiles slung over that one).
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
NColoradoAG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well that certainly seems relevant to the conversation.
How'd the 7th beer compare to the 8th, bro?

The 6th, 7th, and 8th beers of the night were wild ales or lambic featuring grape in secondary fermentation. Saint Lamvinus was a close second to Side Project Punchdown. This was 2014 st lam so the grape characteristics had not yet been dominated by overall acidity or funk. There was a mild tannic quality that plays well with the dryness of the beer. The beer had its usual effervescent body and a beautiful color. Side Project Punchdown was another of Cory Kings well done fruited ales. The beer highlighted the Grapes better than any of the three beers. It was juicy, sweet, and bright while the underlying sourness kept the palate wanting more. The beer mouthfeel was superb with medium carbonation and little dryness. My feelings on Funk Factory's Fox and the Grapes can be found a page or two back.

Would you like a recap of any of the other beers?
La Fours
AG
No missiles from me. Everyone has their preferences. I don't take issue over it. Myself, not a fan of most hefe's or wit's.
jah003
S
Blind Gose tasting yesterday/last night...

Order of preference from the 7 of us:
1. Leipziger Gose (in the Draught House Growler): I didn't really enjoy this one as much, think I had it 4th.
2. Westbrook Gose
3. Anderson Valley Gose: Really enjoyed this blind, think I had it second.
4. Odell Brombeere Blackberry Gose
5. Destihl Here Gose Nothin': Not infected... so that's a plus
6. Real Ale Gose: Tough to compete with the others
7. Pinthouse Pineapple Gose: (Whole Foods Growler) Wasn't a fan... seemed to lack a lot of Gose characteristics.
Bonus Guest Beer: Weldwerks Gose from Adam. Certainly held it's own in the tasting.

Chipotlemonger
AG
How's that blackberry gose? I have one in the fridge.
wessimo
AG
It recently placed 4/7 in a blind tasting. Not bad but not tip tier.
La Fours
AG
quote:
It recently placed 4/7 in a blind tasting. Not bad but not tip tier.

La Fours
AG
It's a pretty good beer. Has a nice sourness that you expect from a gose. Not much blackberry flavor though. Still it's worth trying.
First Page Last Page
Page 722 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.