Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,672,300 Views | 62636 Replies | Last: 15 hrs ago by maca1028
Inspector Spacetime
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Grapefruit Sculpin on tap >>> Grapefruit Sculpin in bottle, for whatever reason
NColoradoAG
Drank some beer with the guys from Craft Beer & Brewing Magazine this weekend.

A deal with the Devil was really good, along with the Kentucky Dark Star and variants. Perennial Anniversaria was also very complex and tasty. I did not like Repose much. A bit messy and very peppery. Cerveza de Tempranillo is also past its prime.
army01
AG
Central Market in FW has KBS...
Hugo Stiglitzz
I've heard nothing but solid marks for ADWtD.

Would love to get my hands on one. Just need a little gas money to get me to Anchorage...
DonaldFDraper
AG
quote:
Central Market in FW has KBS...
Price?
DallasAggie2012
AG
It's 5 bucks a single. They probably don't have a ton left now since they only got one case in.
62strat
AG
Was standing in line checking out and the beer guy asks me, you want a firestone walker? I only assumed it was Parabola since I saw it on here the last few days. Of course I said yes. Maybe he's recognizing me now
The trinity is a 7 beer series, all the same base recipe, but 7 different strains of Brett. I'm curious to try and collect them all and do a tasting of all 7 one day.

Inspector Spacetime
AG
Anyone heard word of Houston KBS releases yet? Been checking the Twitters and nothing yet.
BSD
AG
quote:
Anyone heard word of Houston KBS releases yet? Been checking the Twitters and nothing yet.

April 1 at Petrol.
NoneGiven
AG
quote:
I am ashamed to admit, but one year I learned that Specs got KBS in so I rushed over to grab some with really little knowledge of what I was trying to get my hands on.

Asked the clerk if they got the breakfast stout in and that ******* sent me over to the regular BS and congratulated me on getting my hands on such an elusive beer. Jerk.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
Great, that's who I was hoping to hear about. Just a short bike ride from my house.
maca1028
Finally!!!
BSD
AG
My tastebuds' dicks just got instantly hard.
SecoKid
AG
quote:
Finally!!!

Get some Nightmare on Brett if they still have it.
Ags #1
AG
Central market Houston released there's around 130 today. Didn't last log.
Jock 07
AG
quote:
Finally!!!

Congrats, wish I could hang out up there but it's a bit of s drive. CS usually taps some interesting stuff on Tuesdays as well. Nightmare was still on over at falling rock as of ~9 last night.
maca1028
I didn't make it over to falling rock tonight but I hope to tomorrow. The guys at Mr. B's said they had pliny on tap
Jock 07
AG
They did last night, along with blind pig
Hickory High
AG
Hey all, I'm a rookie to the craft beer world, but I'm trying to learn. So far a couple of my favorites have been Stone IPA and Karbach Weekend Warrior. I know there's thousands of beers out there, but I was wondering if someone could tell me what some of the most common answers on this thread have been.
Stoli7
My favorite beer at the moment is Anderson Valley blood orange Gose.

Everyone has gonna have different answers.

If u like IPA's try and find some Yellow Rose it's great.
Moxie
AG
Or do like I do, run by your local beer store on the weekend and try a 6er of something new every time. That way you can experience new types and breweries and learn what you like.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Find a store let's you make your own six-pack. Try as many different varieties as you can. Since they are singles, if you hate it you don't have to "suffer" through a 6 pack.
Whoop04
A lot of the beers mentioned in this thread are hard to find (and expensive). Like Moxie said, your best bet is just to keep trying things to see what you like, and keep an open mind to what you don't. There was a time that I didn't like IPAs. They are now far and away my favorite. I would also recommend finding local breweries and just trying what they offer. Karbach and St. Arnolds have some excellent options. Its a great way to support small local business. St. Arnolds Divine Reserve is a Houston beer that is mentioned a lot on this thread. Also Ballast Point's Grapefruit Sculpin is a great one from San Diego.
Hickory High
AG
quote:
A lot of the beers mentioned in this thread are hard to find (and expensive). Like Moxie said, your best bet is just to keep trying things to see what you like, and keep an open mind to what you don't. There was a time that I didn't like IPAs. They are now far and away my favorite. I would also recommend finding local breweries and just trying what they offer. Karbach and St. Arnolds have some excellent options. Its a great way to support small local business. St. Arnolds Divine Reserve is a Houston beer that is mentioned a lot on this thread. Also Ballast Point's Grapefruit Sculpin is a great one from San Diego.

I went the EXACT same way. I get the pick 6 thing at HEB every time. I've had some that I like, but for some reason I don't think I'm looking for something that I get every time. I want something new every time. I'm just trying to learn the differences in taste between pale, amber, stout, malt, single IPA, double IPA, wheat, etc.
BSD
AG
just got some KBS at HEB Bunker Hill. They only had about 2 cases and there was about 24 people in line. It went quickly. Mad props to the guy behind me for telling me every location in town that he was about to visit to get more. Be happy with two, you dick. He also told the girl behind him who was obviously new to the craft beer world to try Surly Darkness.
jetch17
AG
What a schlong
BSD
AG
There was also some old guy was walking by and asked what the line was for. I told him it was for beer and he hopped in line with us. The guy had no idea what was getting and it probably cost some people behind him the chance at grabbing some but I thought it was funny.
dave99ag
AG
When Founders was first released in Texas (2013?) we wandered by Petrol Station for lunch. I found it odd that there were folks waiting outside for the place to open. I ask what's up and they said KBS release. In line we went!
Hickory High
AG
quote:
When Founders was first released in Texas (2013?) we wandered by Petrol Station for lunch. I found it odd that there were folks waiting outside for the place to open. I ask what's up and they said KBS release. In line we went!
Petrol Station
steve00
AG
Is Jester King releasing anything special this weekend? I may be in Austin on Saturday and was thinking about swinging by if it won't be a total ****-show.

Will it be reasonably possible for me to pick up a sampling of JK bottles to check back home? I only see a couple on their ToGo list.
AgEng06
AG
I don't believe there is a new release this weekend, but they should have several of their beers in the tasting room and bottles to go. They don't update the current weekly listing until Wednesday or Thursday, so the one you see now is from last weekend.
Natasha Romanoff
quote:
Hey all, I'm a rookie to the craft beer world, but I'm trying to learn. So far a couple of my favorites have been Stone IPA and Karbach Weekend Warrior. I know there's thousands of beers out there, but I was wondering if someone could tell me what some of the most common answers on this thread have been.

From the other thread, seems like you're a student. So go to Obannons, start a beer tour, frequent half price pint nights, ?????, profit.

And honestly, I just go to the beer section in HEB, find some I haven't tried and get them. I know the types of beers I like so I have a good idea if I'll like it or not. If I want to try a new type, I go to a bar and try a new draft. If all I was ever exposed to in the beer world was out of a can or bottle, I probably wouldn't like it as much.

I know that isn't specific help, but the folks at Obannons are pretty much the reason I love beer.
BSD
AG
quote:
Is Jester King releasing anything special this weekend? I may be in Austin on Saturday and was thinking about swinging by if it won't be a total ****-show.

Will it be reasonably possible for me to pick up a sampling of JK bottles to check back home? I only see a couple on their ToGo list.
I saw a **** ton of Yellow Rose at HEB today and thought of you guys. As far as what JK offers, they've done a good job at keeping the website up to date. Hell, the worst case scenario is you go and have some good beers on tap.
steve00
AG
quote:
I saw a **** ton of Yellow Rose at HEB today and thought of you guys. As far as what JK offers, they've done a good job at keeping the website up to date. Hell, the worst case scenario is you go and have some good beers on tap.

I got lucky and caught 11 of them at the Katy Specs wknd before last when I was in town. Only have a couple left though. So good. I like it better than Sculpin for sure now.
maca1028
Thanks NoCo for the Mr. B's rec
First Page Last Page
Page 658 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.