Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,568,582 Views | 62489 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by La Fours
La Fours
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
4. Can't wait to crack that Atrial. Gotta find a good reason though.

What would you consider a good reason? Hell, you only live once and you have a beer you've been wanting to try. Drink it up!

That logic is why I have such a hard time maintaining a cellar.
AggieOO
quote:
That logic is why I have such a hard time maintaining a cellar.

the main reason i have a cellar is b/c i HAVE to lay off the booze or i'd weigh about 400 lbs, especially drinking craft beer, even with the amount of exercise I do.
62strat
AG
Came across this series. Barleywines aged in 3 different french oak barrels, and then also a light toast and medium toast of each. All the mediums were gone, so I picked up the lights.

a whopping 19.2% abv.

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 8/27/2014 9:37a).]
La Fours
AG
Lol, Aggie00. I'm fortunate that I don't weigh 250lbs because of my lack of exercise, that is until about 6 months ago when I did start working out regularly.
maca1028
http://jesterkingbrewery.com/blog/
goandpickitupformebro!
maca1028
Seriously though, these guys are killing me, I really wish they would do a reserve society of some kind. Now I need to figure out a way to get up to Austin
La Fours
AG
I came back to post that same thing maca. Effing JK. That **** is going to be ridiculously hard to come by. One bottle per person per day. Neck beards will be coming out from under every rock with in 200 miles.
AgEng06
AG
Yep. Dammit JK. I live here and can't find enough time to get down there often enough. It's still about an hour drive for me.
maca1028
Yea, it's a little over 3 hours for me coming from the wrong side of Houston. I was holding out for Aurelian Lure, now I'm in a bit of a dilemma. #1stworldproblems
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Same problem maca. We're down in League City. I want to get some of these but i wanted to get Aurelian Lure as well.
La Fours
AG
I would make the trip that Friday if I wasn't going to be in Port Aransas that weekend.
maca1028
quote:
I would make the trip that Friday if I wasn't going to be in Port Aransas that weekend.

They are tearing the speckled trout up down there right now.
AgEng06
AG
Unfortunately, if I do make it down there, I can't really pick any up for you guys because of the 1 per day ration.
62strat
AG
If I consistently couldn't get beers from a brewery I 'liked', I don't know I'd like them that much after a while! I've become of the opinion that there are just way too many good beers our there to concern myself with hunting down one specific guy. Relax and have a (different) beer!

maca1028
quote:
If I consistently couldn't get beers from a brewery I 'liked', I don't know I'd like them that much after a while! I've become of the opinion that there are just way too many good beers our there to concern myself with hunting down one specific guy. Relax and have a (different) beer!

But I like jester king so much...

[This message has been edited by maca1028 (edited 8/27/2014 11:44a).]
jh0400
AG
quote:

The problem is that I really like sours, and they're more difficult to come by as a style than most other styles.
army01
AG
I'm with strat. If I can find a randomly released JK, I'll pick it up. Otherwise, I'll skip it until someone brings one out at a bottle share.
docaggie
AG
With JK, I'm just resolving myself to making planned visits. If they've got stuff I want to buy, I'll get what bottles I can and bring it home. If not, I'll sample what I can and call it good.
They're releasing stuff so often now, I'll go insane trying to catch each one, living 90 minutes driving away like I do. Three hours in the car for a beer I can only buy one of just isn't worth it to me.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AggieOO
All I see these days is sours. As someone who hates them, it sucks.
La Fours
AG
Anyone seen Adelbert's Contemplating Waterloo? Their Philosophizer aged in gin barrels. Sounds like it could be good.
62strat
AG
jh, where are you again?

Sours are all over the shelves in Denver. My case in point, I could spend hours researching and calling to find Russian River sours (oh how I love them like some of you like JK), since they pop up and quickly disappear pretty regularly across the front range, but there are so many good local ones (new belgium, trinity, paradox, avery, crooked stave, river north, odell) as well as the belgian varieties.. I just consider it a bonus when I happen to come across a RR one on the shelves of my go to store.

Beer will continue to go through its trends. IPAs had their hayday, barrel aged, now sours..
La Fours
AG
Nice humble brag there 62.

But for real, I think a big part of the JK hype is the lack of competition in the state. Since we don't get most of those beers you listed, it's hard to come by new and different sours with out trading or traveling.
AgEng06
AG
quote:
Nice humble brag there 62.

But for real, I think a big part of the JK hype is the lack of competition in the state. Since we don't get most of those beers you listed, it's hard to come by new and different sours with out trading or traveling.

+1, on both statements
Scriffer
AG
quote:
Anyone seen Adelbert's Contemplating Waterloo? Their Philosophizer aged in gin barrels. Sounds like it could be good.

That's just crazy enough to work.

If anyone sees that and wants to hook me up, I'll make it worth your while.
maca1028
I agree with la fours, on top of that JK is a good beer to have if your trying to pull trades for good out of state beers like RRBC, CS, HF, etc.
maca1028
I'm also jealous you see RRBC on the shelves up there 62.
La Fours
AG
Oh, and I just saw on facebook that Prairie is releasing a BA Bomb, only in Texas.
CollinAB
AG
Well that's something I need.
CollinAB
AG
So badly I double posted it, I guess.

[This message has been edited by CollinAB (edited 8/27/2014 1:47p).]
62strat
AG
Are there really no other breweries in TX doing sours?? I know CO is not exactly apples to apples for TX.. but I know the brewery count there is shot through the roof the last couple years. I figured there would be plenty trendy styles available at this point. I know St. A does a berliner.
jah003
S
quote:
quote:

That's just crazy enough to work.

If anyone sees that and wants to hook me up, I'll make it worth your while.

Tried to send you one, but they were gone in a few hours at my local HEB. Beer guy said it was the most "called about" beer he's ever had. I may still stumble upon one around Austin, though.
La Fours
AG
There are breweries in Texas doing sours. But typically the never make distro and are brewery only or very limited local distro.
jh0400
AG
quote:
jh, where are you again?

Sours are all over the shelves in Denver. My case in point, I could spend hours researching and calling to find Russian River sours (oh how I love them like some of you like JK), since they pop up and quickly disappear pretty regularly across the front range, but there are so many good local ones (new belgium, trinity, paradox, avery, crooked stave, river north, odell) as well as the belgian varieties.. I just consider it a bonus when I happen to come across a RR one on the shelves of my go to store.

Beer will continue to go through its trends. IPAs had their hayday, barrel aged, now sours..

I'm in the Tine. St A has their berliner, and there are a few imported beers here and there. Prairie Somewhere is usually available. If you ask the guy at midtown Specs for a Brett, he'll usually have a few, but nowhere near the number that you can find on the shelves in CO or CA.
army01
AG
But we do always have Rodenbach Grand Cru, which is nice.
army01
AG
oh, and speaking of CO Sours, have any of you tried the AC Golden sours? I had a Hidden Barrel Apricot this weekend -- holy crap it was a mother pucker.

*yes, I know this is a subsidiary of Coors....
First Page Last Page
Page 507 of 1786

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.