Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,638,517 Views | 62606 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by La Fours
AgEng06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
OO, I agree, but I had to make due. I'm not exactly in Cali very often.
NColoradoAG
IMO, concern over high temerpatures during shipping is overblown. As long as a box doesn't sit somewhere hot over the weekend, you're fine. If you're not home to receive the box, you can always have it held at an air conditioned FedEx store. If it's less than 100 from shipping point to destination, I wouldn't hesitate. I actually get more concerned in the winter over freezing than any of the potential effects of heat.

My dumbass left that growler of BA Wake n Bake in my garage for three days this past weekend because I didn't realize my trustor had put anything in the bottle shipper. It sat outside in my 85+ degree garage for three days after being shipped from Maryland. It was perfectly fine and delicious.

IPA's are maybe a concern due to how finicky the volatiles are to heat. But, I've always felt trading for or shipping almost any IPA is a waste of time, money, and effort.

[This message has been edited by NColoradoAG (edited 8/7/2014 3:13p).]
La Fours
AG
why are the called loons?
BSD
AG
I would only ship cold chain in the summer. The back of those trucks get pretty warm and coming from California they could go thru the AZ desert all day. Is it overblown as far as taste goes? Maybe, maybe not. Like NCol said, it can depend on the beer. I have a winemaker friend who is well known in the wine world for his great wines and he thinks people are too finicky when it comes to temps (he also does the beer thing). For business reasons, he ships when the customers say it's an ideal temp but he thinks it would be fine at slightly higher temps. Probably not summer heat but warmer than what most consumes like. With the prices I've paid on beers and wines, I'm not willing to risk it.

oh, and nice haul!!!!!
AggieOO
Fours - yours is ready to go, btw. I should get it out this weekend.

NColorado - in the middle of summer, i assume that ground shipping from cali to texas is going through the desert, which will on trucks in the heat. I'm not sure if you've ever unloaded a truck that has driven through a texas summer, but i can assure you it is 100+ in those trailers. Add in the cali, arizona, and new mexico heat, and I'll hold off until end of sept or so.

[This message has been edited by AggieOO (edited 8/7/2014 3:27p).]
jah003
S
quote:
why are the called loons?

The last part of Cantillon (Lon) is pronounced like loon.
AggieOO
maybe it was alraedy posted, but for those who like Cantillon, they are expanding. should make getting it somewhat easier.
NColoradoAG
quote:

NColorado - in the middle of summer, i assume that ground shipping from cali to texas is going through the desert, which will on trucks in the heat. I'm not sure if you've ever unloaded a truck that has driven through a texas summer, but i can assure you it is 100+ in those trailers. Add in the cali, arizona, and new mexico heat, and I'll hold off until end of sept or so.

My comment was more in general versus solely considering Cali to TX.

BSD won't let me send him his crooked stave so I'm just going to drink them.
BSD
AG
quote:
BSD won't let me send him his crooked stave so I'm just going to drink them.

AggieOO
makes more sense. I'm much less afraid to ship between wisconsin and texas over the summer for my New Glarus fix. We can't ship in the dead of winter anyway due to freezing. My fiance's dad set us a shipment in the spring in a styrofoam box that was still cold enough to drink when it showed up at our door. There was still snow on the ground when it left northern WI.
Jock 07
AG
2012 vintage. Still pretty sweet

And thanks for the info NColorado.
Oh and kick ass RRBC haul
La Fours
AG
quote:
maybe it was alraedy posted, but for those who like Cantillon, they are expanding. should make getting it somewhat easier.

Interesting.  As in expanding production or distribution? Or both?
La Fours
AG
quote:

Awesome. Thanks.
AggieOO
http://thefullpint.com/beer-news/cantillon-owner-jean-van-roy-announces-expansion/
AgEng06
AG
You guys may have already seen this, but speaking of Cantillon...

http://drinkbelgianbeer.com/breweries/cantillons-bomb-shelter-cellar

Also, in reference to temp changes while cellaring:
quote:
As to the storage conditions, Jean had this to say: “When we had the very hot summer in 2012, when it was up to 35 degrees Celsius (95 Fahrenheit) outside, it was 21 degrees (70 Fahrenheit) here in the cellar. In the heart of winter, it doesn’t get colder than 10 to 12 degrees down here (50 to 54 Fahrenheit) and right now it is maybe 14 or so,” (57 degrees Fahrenheit.)

As to how this temperature difference might effect the maturation of the beer, Jean told me “I think this variation isn’t a problem, and doesn’t have any bad effect on aging lambic. In fact, in my opinion, it could play a role, in the right way, in the maturation of the beer.”

dave99ag
AG
My wife brought home a growler of Brazos Valley Brewing's The Cause IPA for IPA Day. Not too bad. Decent nose without too much bitterness.
62strat
AG
quick little stop at the licka sto. That's the highest ABV I've seen of Avery.. I think.

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 8/7/2014 4:43p).]
AgEng06
AG
Happy IPA Day, beer peeps...

Jock 07
AG
62, I believe you are correct. I was limited to only one bottle but wanted a second to age a little longer. Although my wallet, and wife, appreciate the 1 bottle limit.
NColoradoAG
quote:
quick little stop at the licka sto. That's the highest ABV I've seen of Avery.. I think.

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 8/7/2014 4:43p).]

I concur. I believe 2012 uncle Jacobs was 17.8, last year's rumpkin was 18.5, and now this beast. Not a huge fan of quads, but might try to find a bottle or two of 5 monks.
turfman80
AG
Trying my first Little Sumpin' Extra, which arrived now in CS. Kind of a cross between my favorite, A Little Sumpin' Sumpin', and Hoptimum...

Nice!
Scriffer
AG
Nm, did some internetting

[This message has been edited by scriffer (edited 8/7/2014 6:53p).]
maca1028
I have a place I can order cantillon from but I just can't bring my self to drop the 25-50 per for a bottle, on top of another $16 for shipping. I might breakdown when fou hits the market though
jah003
S
A friend of mine knows how much I like Crooked Stave. So... he took a trip to Colorado and brought this back for me "just because"...

Falcon85
AG
Climbed a 14er this morning and picked up a Not the Stoic after lunch- a good day.
steve00
AG
IPA Day seems like a good enough reason to break my usual 1 per day limit.
SecoKid
AG
Seemed like a good time to post my first beer trade box, which I got today, with all this Cantillon talk. Also drank the Overrated for IPA Day and was really happy with it.
BSD
AG
quote:
I have a place I can order cantillon from but I just can't bring my self to drop the 25-50 per for a bottle, on top of another $16 for shipping. I might breakdown when fou hits the market though

Let me know if you do (in cooler weather of course).
Jegan14
AG
I also got my beer mail from my first trade today! I traded a bunch of Jester King in return. I'm sure I'll be bringing some of this to the bottle share in October. Any requests?

http://i.imgur.com/4YXoogl.jpg

Can someone help me out with this image tag stuff? I can never get my image to show up on the page for some reason...

[This message has been edited by Jegan14 (edited 8/11/2014 1:55p).]
maca1028
quote:
quote:

Let me know if you do (in cooler weather of course).

Will do
BSD
AG
I need some help with beers available to me. Which should I get? Filmishmish, Bottleworks XII, Chocolate Rain, Grey Monday, Oude Tart w/ Cherries, The Wanderer, Sour In The Rye w/ Kumquats. A guy in SoCal owes me some from a trade last spring. I had forgotten until he reached out.

And no, it's not Freddie, although that guy is the ****ing king!!!!

[This message has been edited by Bsd (edited 8/8/2014 9:54a).]
NColoradoAG
Those are all top notch, BSD, just matters on whether you want stouts or sours.

Sour in the Rye with Kumquats was really good last year. I have a couple bottles left, but havent had one in months. Filmishmish is really good, but a few bottles had some problems with pulp sediment. Oude Tart w/ Sour Cherries is the freshest. I just maxed that for this month.

Cant go wrong with Grey Monday or Chocolate Rain. I like Grey Monday a bit more, but Chocolate Rain is my favorite beer to french press, if you're into that.

[This message has been edited by NColoradoAG (edited 8/8/2014 11:33a).]
NColoradoAG
Here you go, John

NColoradoAG
quote:

Currently online, you can get 32 375's of 3F Oude Gueuze, which I prefer to Cantillon Classic, plus 10 375's of 3F Oude Kriek, for $460. 42 bottles of world class lambic at $11 per bottle.

You can also do 18 750's of 3F Oude Gueuze, plus the 10 bottles of Kriek for $440.

Cantillon Kriek is also available, too

Anyone want to do a group order

[This message has been edited by NColoradoAG (edited 8/8/2014 11:31a).]
maca1028
nm

[This message has been edited by maca1028 (edited 8/8/2014 2:26p).]
First Page Last Page
Page 494 of 1789

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.