Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,676,510 Views | 62649 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by steve00
Marooned_n_Aggieland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The last time I did a make your own 6er a Shiner got tossed in. Numerous people have sung this brews praises.

I thought it was going to be a pale ale. Wrong. It really doesn't have that much taste at all. Maybe a Mellowed Miller or something. I don't get it with this one at all.

Ba gives it a 77. That's about right. Not a bad brew but not a memorable taste either. I think spartan's Genesee Cream Ale was as good as this or better.

Ha I was close a 72 rating on Ba. Well, at least now there is no need to wonder what I've been missing by not having a Kosmos. People make a big deal about the only way to get it is buy the family reunion pack. Not worth the trouble.

Shiner, I keep giving you a try and you keep striking out at the plate. So far the Ruby Redbird is the best, mainly because it is different and memorable.
aggiespartan
AG
wow...this is really something different. The juniper and spruce mix together perfectly somehow. It's not too bitter, and a tad sweet. Very solid beer.
jetch17
AG
I've seen the John John several times around Houston, but never picked it up ... Mainly because I think gin is ass.
jetch17
AG
quote:
So far the Ruby Redbird is the best
aggiespartan
AG
More spruce flavor comes out than straight gin liquor flavor.
BSD
AG
I have a problem. Just ordered more beer:

12 Russian River Blind Pig
4 Russian River Supplication
2 Jolly Pumpkin Oro de Calabaza
2 Alesmith Speedway Stout
5 different Mikkeller IPA/DIPAs not sold hereā€¦some single hops which should be interesting.
2 Alpine Pure Hoppiness
2 Knee Deep Hoptologist
2 Knne Deep Citra Hops
2 Ballast Point Sculpin
2 Beer Valley Delta 9
And the star of the show...1 Kern River 5th Anniversary
713nervy
AG
How are you getting the Russian River beer? I have the insane jealous. You must have a dear friend.
BSD
AG
This was more of a pain in the ass to order and ended up costing me a little more since I bought from a store out west who marks it a little extra because he knows the demand is there from idiots like me. I didn't have any intention of getting the blind pig but he got 12 bottles delivered as we were talking and asked if I wanted them. What was I supposed to say???
713nervy
AG
You did the right thing.
jetch17
helgs
AG
Marooned_n_Aggieland, the Wild Hare is decent. First Shiner beer that I could taste some hops in.
hbc07
AG
If i ever saw blind pig here, i'd grab some for you... but i don't think it makes it out this way (at least in bottle form)
Marooned_n_Aggieland
I have a review of Hare already up. Yes, a little more taste but still not a standout. Shiner needs to experiment from the ground up on some new beers. Let boldness be their target. With craft everywhere, Shiner Bock is a hasbeen. Update, update, update!
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Hare is currently sporting 76 over on Ba. does Shiner have anything that rates in the upper 80s over there?
jetch17
AG
5,000 miles Southeast of Dutch Harbor, the jetch is drinking Captain Sig's Northwestern Ale by Rogue

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
So did anyone pick up some Karbach cans?

Wonder if they distribute to CS?
jetch17
AG
They're in full abundance in the Tine. Will prolly get some tomorrow
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Interesting. I want to get some, but won't be able to until Weds or Thursday. Any idea what the best place to stop if I'm coming in from B/CS?
spadilly
S
Spring Valley Specs has a ton.
Maybe try calling the Specs in CS. I would assume they'll get some too
hbc07
AG
Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nector tonight. Sweet nutty goodness.
duck79
AG
Yes CS , Dallas, SA will all have Karbach as soon as they have enough inventory to cover it.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Good to hear duck. Any idea when that would be? Seems like you've got an inside scoop.
hbc07
AG
round 2:

a little disappointed. kind of a burnt taste to it.
Linz02Ag
AG
quote:
So did anyone pick up some Karbach cans?

HEB North Woodlands Market had a ton. I picked up 2 Rodeo Clown 4 packs and a 6er each of Sympathy and Weisse Versa
Linz02Ag
AG
The best John John is Dead Guy Ale aged in Dead Guy Whiskey Barrels
BSD
AG
quote:
If i ever saw blind pig here, i'd grab some for you... but i don't think it makes it out this way (at least in bottle form)

Thanks, HBC. See anything interesting hit the shelves out there?

As for my last order for a while...a 4-pack of Alchemist's Heady Topper!!!! DIPA night this weekend is going to awesome!
duck79
AG
mbole,

It is still a little ways off. They are distributing themselves in the Houston area right now.

On another note Alaskan will be officially tapped in in Texas tomorrow. Package will be available next month.
jetch17
AG
Petrol ready to rollout Alaskan in houston today

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Where to find Alaskan today:

Flying Saucer, downtown location, 705 Main
Flying Saucer, Sugar Land Town Square
Hay Merchant, 1100 Westheimer
Petrol Station, 985 Wakefield
Rudyardā€™s British Pub, 2010 Waugh

http://blog.chron.com/beertx/2012/03/where-to-find-alaskan-in-houston-today/
713nervy
AG
quote:
Rudyardā€™s British Pub, 2010 Waugh

I freaking miss that bar. I lived about a 30 second walk from it. Oh, Houston.
Pahdz
freaking awesome Alaskan has finally made it this far, will bottles be available at Spec's and other outlets?
62strat
AG
dang i'm kinda craving some alaskan amber. I'll have to find some this weekend in denver.

Crazy I went to AK brewery website yesterday, didn't show texas as available. Well, today it does.. They're on the ball..

Padz.. duck says package will be next month.

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 3/6/2012 3:29p).]
duck79
AG
Sorry I guess I should have been more specific. Dallas is officially tapping it tomorrow. Saucer Addison tapped it yesterday but the official kickoff is tomorrow. Houston got their shipment at about 5 yesterday so those accounts could have unofficially tapped it today. When I say official I mean the owners are in town to kick it off.

[This message has been edited by Duck79 (edited 3/6/2012 3:43p).]
DonaldFDraper
AG
Can we get some DFW love in terms of release dates and availability of Karbach and Alaskan, Beer Nerds?
duck79
AG
Alaskan package is mid April. Draft is here. Saucer Addison is only tap as of today.

Karbach is a ways off still.
First Page Last Page
Page 47 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.