Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,716,796 Views | 62711 Replies | Last: 41 min ago by swampstander
localag242
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thanks La Fours for tip of Noir at Tower Point
Jock 07
AG
quote:
What is Rufus?

http://www.brewbound.com/news/2014/avery-brewing-to-release-rufus-corvus
La Fours
AG
quote:
Thanks La Fours for tip of Noir at Tower Point

Excellent. Glad to help.
La Fours
AG
quote:
quote:
What is Rufus?

http://www.brewbound.com/news/2014/avery-brewing-to-release-rufus-corvus

That sounds amazing.
62strat
AG
So the beer buyer at my local beer store is leaving after like 7 years. The store decided to let him sell of their entire 'cellar' of old and hard to find beers they have been holding on to over the years. So I had to check it out.

Got there about 15 minutes till release time, I was about 25th in line. Like a kid in a candy store I tell ya. He had 50 cases of oddities. Single file line, you go through the beer maze they set up, then you're done.

My haul; acquired in about 90 seconds. My basket and extra hand was full, couldn't get anymore.

The samaels is a 2010, 2012 abyss, a nice line up of Bruery stuff, a No 5. woodcut.

Nice little addition to the cellar for sure. Glad I went to check it out.
Jegan14
AG
Nice haul, 62strat. That sounds like a lot of fun. If you were 25th in line then I want to see what the first person went home with.
maca1028
62strat
AG
Yeh luckily it was a lot of multiple stuff, not a bunch of single stuff. There were a handful of past years firestone walker parabolas and sucabas and a lot of bourbon county.

My dumbass didnt notice the samaels and the beast were old years. I assumed they were new and so passed them up since they aren't hard to find around here. I happen to of grabbed the one samaels and noticed it was 4 years old when I got home
Doh!
maca1028
Excellent Saturday! First day in over 2 months my wife and I and the kids were all off/out of school on the same day

NColoradoAG
Been hearing lots of grumbling about the Lukas cellar sale today. Looks like I know where it all went.
Jock 07
AG
Is that Lukas up in centennial?
NColoradoAG
Dome a bottle of Chocolate Rain? Why not.

MW03
AG
Had Prairie "Bible Belt Evil Twin" and St. Arnold's Divine Reserve 14 on tap today at Goodfriend in Dallas. Awesome.
62strat
AG
quote:
Is that Lukas up in centennial?

Right by park meadows mall. Not sure if that's centennial or not.
jah003
S
quote:
Dome a bottle of Chocolate Rain? Why not.

Like a freaking boss... 750 ml of 18.5%? I'd be drunk... (but I am a lightweight).

Give me a shout sometime... I can probably help you out with Nocturn if nobody has offered yet.
WorkBoots09
AG
Work blew up this week, so I basically had no American Craft Beer Week to speak of. Thankfully, I was able to take Friday off completely, and I picked up a bunch of stuff from my local bottle shop Mom's Liquor Cabinet in Arlington. It's owned by the same people that own the Homebrew supply store next door. Among the haul:

Wine Barrel Noir
Victory Winter Cheers
Boulevard Wheat
Fresh Squeezed
St. Lupulin
Lugene

I also was pleasantly surprised to see that World Market had expanded their craft section, and they were running a 20% build your own 6-er for ACBW.

Bible Belt
Cedar Creek Dankosaurus
NB Summer Blonde (had to fill out the 6-er)
NB Snapshot Wheat (same)
Lagunitas Capuccino Stout
NC Scrimshaw
NC Red Seal
Loose Leaf

Lastly, I went for the small Grapevine Main Street festival's "Craft Beer Experience." Not a whole lot of rarities or anything, but I was able to try a few I've never had before.

Real Ale's Full Moon Rye Cask, dry hopped with Simcoe (freaking awesome)
Hoptimum
Hans Pils
Widmer Upheaval IPA
Widmer Alchemy
Harpoon Summer
Harpoon Black Forest Cherry Chocolate Porter

All said and done, it was worth it. Good week.
HulkGrogan
Finally got some wine noir and Bible Belt to try
BSD
AG
Oh Hulkster, I have a Bible Belt for you. Courtesy of the Beer and I. To clarify, it's actually just courtesy of the "Beer and I" and not the Beer and I and me. And we need to drink some Beat soon.
HulkGrogan
Hub05
AG
Finally getting around to working through the Bourbon County variants. Started with Rare and Vanilla and then moved onto the sours to lighten things up a bit.

I will say this, I was skeptical Rare could live up to the hype, but I think it actually surpassed what I had heard. Great barrel characteristics, incredible mouthfeel, and a wonderfully vanilla and booze finish. For all you beer traders, IMHO I would recommend going after a bottle of this.

The Vanilla on the other had was a disappointment. Plenty of Vanilla flavor, but it was watery in comparison to the Rare. I know there that bottle variability potentially plays a part in this, but I wouldn't trade for another bottle of this considering what it takes to land one.

We opened up an '08 BCBS just to see what an older one tasted like and it was way past its prime.

[This message has been edited by Hub05 (edited 5/18/2014 6:15p).]
The Beer and I
quote:
Oh Hulkster, I have a Bible Belt for you. Courtesy of the Beer and I. To clarify, it's actually just courtesy of the "Beer and I" and not the Beer and I and me. And we need to drink some Beat soon.

You could've just claimed some credit so it wouldn't be so confusing, but I appreciate your honesty. By the way, I have an extra Wine Noir for anyone in the Houston area still looking for some.
cpscAG06
AG
Workboots

Which World Market di you go to?
HulkGrogan
This IS nice, glad to get around to trying it

NColoradoAG
quote:
Finally getting around to working through the Bourbon County variants. Started with Rare and Vanilla and then moved onto the sours to lighten things up a bit.

I will say this, I was skeptical Rare could live up to the hype, but I think it actually surpassed what I had heard. Great barrel characteristics, incredible mouthfeel, and a wonderfully vanilla and booze finish. For all you beer traders, IMHO I would recommend going after a bottle of this.

The Vanilla on the other had was a disappointment. Plenty of Vanilla flavor, but it was watery in comparison to the Rare. I know there that bottle variability potentially plays a part in this, but I wouldn't trade for another bottle of this considering what it takes to land one.

We opened up an '08 BCBS just to see what an older one tasted like and it was way past its prime.

[This message has been edited by Hub05 (edited 5/18/2014 6:15p).]

I had the opposite opinion after a goose island tasting back in march. Liked vanilla way more than rare. We also had 07 and 08 BCBS and I thought they were drinking very well. I think storage conditions play a major part in how those beers age.
NColoradoAG
quote:

NB Snapshot Wheat (same)

Been drinking the **** out of Snapshot. Such a good summer beer. The partial lactic fermentation gives it just the right amount of tartness.
jah003
S
Looks like the entire Prairie lineup is hitting Austin again today (Bomb, Noir, and Bible Belt)...
maca1028
Jah, is heavy machinery still on shelves up there?
62strat
AG
I saw yet another new belgium beer. Helles lager.

They've been doing a lot of changes around there. New beers, entirely new artwork.
Good to know they still care considering fat tire makes *70% of their millions each year.

Guesstimated, I have no idea but I'm sure it's overwhelming.

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 5/19/2014 12:21p).]
Ags #1
AG
Parabol released at central market today. Lasted about about an hour before it sold out
jetch17
AG
EFE
AG
^^^ Who's this guy?
DonaldFDraper
AG
p-wonk01... Would you mind sending me a PM or posting an email address?

We met at the Bama Bottle Share and I would like to ask you a quick question.
jah003
S
quote:
Jah, is heavy machinery still on shelves up there?

Yea, it's still around. If you'll be at JK on Friday, I'd recommend swinging by the Twin Liquors at the Hill Country Galleria (intersection of 620 & 71). Honestly one of the best selections in the Austin area and nothing moves at all. That's where I picked up my 2 year old RU55.
maca1028
I'll check it out, thanks man
Out in Left Field
AG
Brooklyn black chocolate stout at the Saucer. Traffic sucks, this is way better
First Page Last Page
Page 452 of 1792

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.