Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,676,865 Views | 62649 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by steve00
AggieOO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
If you stumble on any Tallgrass Brewing it's good too
Jock 07
AG
quote:
Kroger BW8/west rd

[This message has been edited by Jetch17 (edited 12/26/2013 2:36p).]

Preciatecha, just picked up a sixer. One left on the shelf for those who care
txaggie05
AG
Completely forgot about Tallgrass. Wil definitely look for some if we make it in to KC area or Topeka
jetch17
AG
quote:
quote:
Kroger BW8/west rd

[This message has been edited by Jetch17 (edited 12/26/2013 2:36p).]

Preciatecha, just picked up a sixer. One left on the shelf for those who care

They stick with the 9.99?
aggiechris06
AG
Japanese if you please! Hitachino Nest XH.

this one is pretty nice...candied orange, bubble gum, belgian yeast flavors melding nicely with the sake...The more i drink the more I dig it!

[This message has been edited by aggiechris06 (edited 12/26/2013 5:49p).]
AlaskanAg99
AG
quote:
bubble gum

This is an ester and is considered an off flavor in beer. Either the yeast is old or pitched when the wort was too warm.

Bubbalicious does not belong in beer.

[This message has been edited by Phischy (edited 12/26/2013 6:31p).]
Jock 07
AG
quote:
They stick with the 9.99?

Sure did. Rang up @ bout 15 but showed em the 9.99 price tag and they gave it to me.
jetch17
AG
Talmbout
MADDUD
Ranger Creek Small Batch Series # 7
BSD
AG
Ok folks, it's that time of the year to look back and try to remember what you drank and what you liked best. Here are my top 5 beers of the year:

Pliny the Elder - from a sentimental standpoint, this is an easy winner for me. It's always so good, but even better on tap at the brewpub as a first beer (after a 5 month hiatus) to celebrate a new chapter in my life. Enjoyed with my supportive wife and two best friends from Cal. As much as we see them and go to wine country together, it was the first time we were all four at RRBC. It was a very special night for me.

Dark Lord RIS (Port Barrel Aged) - only tasted this but wow. So complex, so delicious. I'm glad that I scored a bottle at Dark Lord Day so I can have a full glass in the future.

BCBS Coffee - holy crap good. Another first time beer for me this year. I split a bomber with a buddy and enjoyed every sip.

Bells Black Note - had a bottle at Porter in ATL. It was so good that I had to financially persuade the bartender to let me sneak a bottle out. She told me not to tell anyone that she let me sneak it out so I won't.

The next two I'll consider a tie as both were on the same day (and since I had 6 in my top 5):

Crooked Stave- WWBV. This was my first Crooked Stave beer ( had it on tap at brewery) and it was worth the wait. Thanks to NCol for grabbing me a bottle to take home.

Pipeworks Rasberry Truffle Abduction -thanks to NCol for taking this to the bottle share at Crooked Stave, which happened to fall on my birthday. What a great day sitting in the back of a warehouse, getting hammered on great beer and giving absolutely zero ****s.

An honorable mention goes to everything on page 237 and every beer I had at PtY and DLD (including the BCBS and variants at Delilah's with BigAg), as well as every beer I had in the company of good friends and family. What a roller coaster of a year but life is good. We're in an exciting time for craft beer in Texas and 2014 should be great for you guys. Cheers to you all.
La Fours
AG
Nice post BSD. I'll try and do one myself later. Right now I'm enjoying this sour. It's very good.

jetch17
AG
BSD is the king
Jock 07
AG
Nice recap BSD

Probably should have opened this a little while ago
Hub05
AG
Dang good list BSD
La Fours
AG
Here's my attempt at a list:

1. Pliny/Heady - both were sooo damn good it's hard to pick between them
2. Prairie Bomb
3. Framboise For A Cure 2012 (courtesy of BSD)
4. BCBCS from Bama bottle share
5. Consecration

All RRBC, but one Pliny, were courtesy of BSD. Thank you sir for introducing me to the greatness of RRBC beers.

[This message has been edited by la fours (edited 12/27/2013 12:09a).]
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Had a bottle of Sam Adams Merry Maker a little while ago. I liked it. Good stuff. Gave me a chance to use the set of glasses I got for Christmas too.
turfman80
AG
Here's my list attempt for the year, somewhat in order....

- Pseudo Sue
- Prairie Hop
- Naughty Temple
- Yellow Rose
- Nocturn Chrysalis

Overall a damn good hoppy year!
maca1028
This was my first year to really get into craft beer, and I've drank some good ones. Thanks to a couple of good Ag's on this thread for some awesome trades and letting me assist in a cellar clearance. Here's my top five.
1.Pliney
2. Zombie Dust
3. Consecration
4. Bomb!
5. Damnation 23
The Beer and I
Since everyone else is doing it:
1. Pliny
- Lost Abbey Red Poppy
- Firestone Walker Parabola
- KBS
- RRBC Supplication
- Rockefort 10/St Bernardus
Pliny at one, hard to really rank the others, all so good.
AggieOO
quote:
2. Prairie Bomb

i don't get the love for this stuff. it was mediocre at best. i realize we all have different tastes, but i haven't seen anyone who isn't stroking it over this beer.
wessimo
AG
Great year for beer. The five I enjoyed the most in no particular order:

Yellow Rose
BCBS
Snake Handler (Good People B'ham AL)
Number 22 Porter (Big Bend Brew Co)
Barn Burner
maca1028
I have a parabola that's been in the cellar since September, lately I've been tempted to open it. Cooling down funk metal and temptation for NYE, so my top five could change.
aggiejz
AG
Man, I thought I'd be able to throw together a quick Top 5 from 2013 pretty easily. Foolish. I've had a lot of good beer this year... So here goes nothin'.

1. Lone Pint Yellow Rose - while some of the others beers I'm gonna list are probably better, this earns my top spot because there's finally a Texas-made IPA that I will order pretty much any time I find it on tap.
2. Pliny the Younger - because, yeah.
3. Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout - thanks to the Bama bottle share, this one was freaking awesome.
4. Heady Topper - lived up to the hype and then some; gonna motivate me to make a trip to Vermont one of those days.
5. Perennial Coffee Abraxas - Abraxas on its own is a fantastic beer, but the coffee version is ridiculously good; kinda of like BCBS I suppose.

Honorable mentions...

Crooked Stave Waelz Blood
Jester King Atrial Rubicite
Russian River Blind Pig (maybe I'm crazy, but I think this is as good if not better than PtE)
Prairie Bomb!
Side Project Saison du Ble (from St. Louis)
AC Golden Blueberry Colorambic

[This message has been edited by aggiejz (edited 12/27/2013 8:44a).]
Hub05
AG
It was also my first year into big boy craft beer. Hunaphu day forever changed the way I viewed craft beer. Here are my top 5 beers of the year:

1 FFF Zombie Dust
2 CCB White Oak Jai Alai
3 CCB Good Gourd
4 Funky Buddha Last Snow
5 Swamphead Peat Dunwoody (BA Wee Heavy)

Honorable Mentions: Huna, Black Note, KBS, Event Horizon, Swamp du Saison w/ Brett
jah003
S
This was also my first official year of craft beer... I was lucky enough to partake in a tremendous amount of phenomenal beers. Mostly in part to a few epic bottleshares... I'm leaving the bottle share beers off my list, as I don't think a 1 - 2oz. Pour was enough to do some them justice.

Here's my top 5: (I've only listed the beers I had a decent amount of...)

1. JK Aurelian Lure: really wish they would have bottled this stuff. The funk and apricot worked perfectly together. Was lucky enough to get an 8 oz. pour at the Funk and Sour Fest.

2. 2012 Abyss: this one is still pretty fresh on my memory. I really like how the fruit and booze died down and the barrel character came out.

3. 2012 Avery Mephistopheles: first beer of our annual "stout party", and nothing the rest of the night matched it...

4. Stone Collab. Dayman: most (ok... Some) would disagree. This beer fresh was just freaking amazing. Your nose said one thing and your mouth said another.

5. Cantillon Iris: also lucky enough to have this at the Funk and Sour Fest. My first foray into the world of Cantillon and it lived up to the hype. Don't know if I will ever see this beer again... But I have dreams of Iris and Stanley's wood fired pizza.

Honorable mentions: JK RU55, JK Atrial, Pliny, crooked stave st. Bretta, and Parabola.
CollinAB
AG
My five would probably be something like:
- Pliny the Elder - Yeah. This is a given.
- Heady Topper - Lives up to the hype.
- Prairie Bomb! - Lots of flavors that all somehow work together.
- BCBS - Earns its reputation. Excellent beer. And that '07 one at the Auburn bottleshare. Damn.
- Crooked Stave Origins - Any of the ones Adam brought. Delicious.

Also really enjoyed Yellow Rose, Pumpkinator, Utopias, The Abyss, Black Butte XXV, and a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting. It's been a great year for beer for me and y'all made it even better with your generosity at the bottleshares and all. Here's to 2014.
Green Fairy
AG
Anyone have any Bomb or Abyss they'd be willing to trade/sell? I missed out on most of it being out I town so damn much lately.
jetch17
AG
Having a buffalo bayou red velvet stout at BRC

*licks palms, makes fart noise*

Not red velvety at all
La Fours
AG
quote:
Anyone have any Bomb or Abyss they'd be willing to trade/sell? I missed out on most of it being out I town so damn much lately.

I have some bomb I can trade. What are you offering?
defroach
Abyss showed up again around Austin today. Grabbed 2 more.
Coy94
AG
I agree with defroach. I picked up an abyss (two more at the house), velvet merkin, funk metal and a sixer of sucks. Not a bad little haul at an Austin HEB.

Coy94
aggiejz
AG
Hay Merchant has bottles of Prairie Noir. No limit on to-go. Not sure what the price is but I'm gonna swing by after work.
The Beer and I
Picked up some noir, a growler of yellow rose, and a bottle of Juliet. A buddy even threw in a bottle of dragons milk, not a bad day!
Green Fairy
AG
quote:
quote:

I have some bomb I can trade. What are you offering?

I'll dig around when I get home. Off the top of my head I have some 2012 pumpkinator, a few of the various fun series releases by karbach(not all of them), black butte reserves,
Etc. I have some 2012 black ops as well but not for just one Bomb. Probably some other stuff I'm forgetting too.
jetch17
AG
quote:
Hay Merchant has bottles of Prairie Noir. No limit on to-go. Not sure what the price is but I'm gonna swing by after work.

Sh*t, just left that part of tine
First Page Last Page
Page 350 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.