Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,673,873 Views | 62644 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Quincey P. Morris
aggiez71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For those of you who age beers for a year or longer, how do you cellar them? I just have mine in my closet, temp stays relatively cool but I've heard if you are storing bottles for longer than a few months, they need to be sealed with wax. Does anyone do that?
army01
AG
quote:
txaggie05 - where did you have velvet merkin??

Curious about this too...I know Common Table had a keg last night, but bottles haven't hit Texas, have they?
jh0400
AG
quote:
there isn't supposed to be a difference between 003, 005, and 007 from what I have gathered through conversations with Karbach sales reps. Just a really good BBA Porter. I guess they just wanted a different way of numbering the releases since they are more than once a year.

I wish they'd stop focusing so much on this one and do more Bodacious or Roll in the Hay. With this one releasing so late in the year, it doesn't appear likely to get Fra-gee-lay again.
Hub05
AG
If you are wanting to store bottles, wax can be a good idea but not necessary. If I were you, before I went to the trouble and expense of waxing bottles, I would get a beer fridge.

Keeping a beer at the right temp is more important than waxing. Based on research, most people claim ~55 degrees is the optimal temp, but not a lot of science to back that up. Most people agree that keeping a constant temp is important and that regular fridge temps ~37-40 degrees is better for storage than a 70 degree closet.

Check Craigslist for cheap fridges/freezers or mini fridges. For example, I paid $40 for a 10cubic ft fridge. I added a $50 temperature control unit from amazon to keep the temp constant ~55 degrees. Works like a charm, except now I need a bigger fridge
txaggie05
AG
quote:
quote:
txaggie05 - where did you have velvet merkin??

Curious about this too...I know Common Table had a keg last night, but bottles haven't hit Texas, have they?

It was at The Common Table.

In talking with the FW peeps, the beer is here (at least kegs...bottles are too i think). It's just a matter of it being released.
cpscAG06
AG
txaggie - that's where I figured you had it. Did you get your free merkin? lol.

Yea, Daniel (can't remember his name) the FW rep, said the bottles are awaiting label approval.

What did you think of it?
txaggie05
AG
Yes, I got my free merkin, signed by Jeffers.

As far as the beer goes, I didn't think it lived up to the hype. It was good and smooth for the ABV, but as an oatmeal stout it just isn't really my style of stout. Seemed thin to me with a ton of vanilla and sweetness.

I'm more about punch you in the face bourbon barrel aged imperial stouts. Based on my preferences, I thought Parabola was a lot better.
wessimo
AG
Parabola... Drool
p-wonk01
AG
quote:
Alright, guys. Here are some pictures from the bottleshare yesterday, as promised. http://imgur.com/a/vM61h#0

Thanks for the great pictures. Can you remind me what type of camera she was using for those? I know it was a very nice one!

Note to self...get rid of beer gut
maca1028
Rumor has it that bcbs will be hitting the market in Houston thanksgiving weekend, and merkin is supposedly making it's way down here as well. T&P for my bank account
army01
AG
quote:
Rumor has it that bcbs will be hitting the market in Houston thanksgiving weekend

Nov 29 is the national release. I was told Austin and Houston should expect it.
army01
AG
Oh -- and by Houston, I mean the downtown Specs. Not sure on anything else.
BSD
AG
Will bcbs coffee be coming along with it? That's in my top 5 beers of the year.
Mustang1
AG
Central Market Houston had a dozen 007 bottles as of noon today.
maca1028
I'm not sure BSD, spoke with Joey at smith st the other day and the only details he knew right now is that it should be here black friday. He said he would reveal more as the details come in. The date kinda sucks, I'd rather dodge drunks on New Year's Eve than deal with crazy a$$ shoppers.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
If someone actually camps for beer at Spec's on Black Friday, the Houston "scene" is officially dead.
EaglePassAg08
AG
To answer a couple of the questions that have popped up so far:

BCBS & Variants: From my understanding with the Goose Island Reps, BAs, BTs, and talking to Joey at Specs Midtown - We should be expecting BCBS and potentially some variants on Black Friday. You should be there early because everyone and their mother will be lining up for this early.

In regards to cellaring beer: Cellaring can be done in various ways, some will suggest having a beer fridge and others will say that you can keep them in a cool dark place (closet, etc.). I'm currently sitting at around a 150+ beer cellar atm and from my experience with cellaring thus far there are a few key points that you should heed.

1. Beer fridges really help preserve the beer longer than keeping it in a closet/cellar. Keeping a beer cool helps it develop at a slower pace (helps keep the bugs & yeast from going crazy).

2. If you are using a beer closet/cabinet make sure to keep the beer in a place where the temperature doesn't fluctuate daily (Kitchen is a big no no) and more importantly a place that doesn't receive much light. Believe it or not light will damage the beer over time and will give off flavors that are no good. (If you want to try this experiment leave a corona bottle out in the sun for a day or two - clear bottles are such a big no no for brewers).

3. Storing depends heavily on the style of beer and the ability to age a brew. ALWAYS keep your IPAs and IIPAs in the fridge. Hops are very delicate and will fade incredibly quick if left out in the warm air, you don't want to drink a malt bomb yuck. I tend to keep my darker and heavier beers in my beer cellar/closet at around 60 degrees which is more than ok. I tend to keep Pale Ales, Double IPAs, farmhouse ales/saisons in the fridge. I keep my darker/maltier beers in the cellar as they are brews that they can stand the test of time way better. I also keep sours in my cellar as I love my sours to be incredibly sour which will happen faster in a warmer climate.

4. In regards to waxing: Waxing is beneficial for the beer as it can help preserve a beer longer by keeping oxygen away from entering the brew. Although wax isn't 100% oxygen permeable, it helps slow down the oxidation/aging of the beer itself. One of the big reasons that a person like myself enjoys waxing is because of the other added benefits that come from it: preserving, protection, and ease of transport. I tend to wax all of my Cantillon bottles as some tend to be leaky (bad corks and caps at times). It is incredibly easy to transport waxed bottles without having to worry much about damage or the cap being compromised.

Anyways, i'm tired of typing so hopefully you enjoy the general information!

[This message has been edited by EaglePassAg08 (edited 11/13/2013 1:21p).]
aggiejz
AG
quote:
If someone actually camps for beer at Spec's on Black Friday, the Houston "scene" is officially dead.

I honestly would not be the least bit surprised if people do this. I've heard that Spec's downtown may be the only store getting it. Sh**show guaranteed.
jh0400
AG
quote:
I've heard that Spec's downtown may be the only store getting it.

If that's the case I'd rather try my luck at Hay Merchant assuming they have it. Otherwise, I'll probably pass.
Scriffer
AG
What's the story on velvet merkin? I'm not googling that.
jah003
S
quote:
What's the story on velvet merkin? I'm not googling that.

Just barrel aged Velvet Merlin... Just decided they would throw a "k" in place of the "rl". I'd love to snag a bottle or two, I've been a big fan fan of every barrel aged FW to date.
EaglePassAg08
AG
Specs downtown will be the only place carrying it for retail, i'm sure a keg or two will float to either the saucer or HM.

CollinAB
AG
quote:
Thanks for the great pictures. Can you remind me what type of camera she was using for those? I know it was a very nice one!

Note to self...get rid of beer gut

It's a Canon Mark 5D II with a 35mm f/1.4 L lens.

bevokilla
AG
Thanks for the tip about 007 being at CM Houston. Scored 2 bottles and grabbed a sixer of Weekend Warrior for daily drinking.
62strat
AG
I store my cellaring beers in the basement. It's regularly 60 deg down there with little fluctuation. I do need to move them to a darker corner though. They are currently in low ambient light, but not direct sunlight.
army01
AG
Finally picked up a St. Lenny's. ****. This one has a ton of flavor up front. And it'll get yew drunk!

Marooned_n_Aggieland
How is it different from regular Lenny's which is a double rye IPA?
aggielax48
AG
Looks like its the same recipe but using Belgian yeast.

Had a Petrus Aged Pale last nigh, very good.
NColoradoAG
Headed down for a short trip to see my sister get her ring. Put down a couple New Belgium Accumulations at the New Belgium Hub before getting on the plane. Flying into enemy territory (Austin) today instead of Houston.

[This message has been edited by NColoradoAG (edited 11/14/2013 2:42p).]
jah003
S
quote:
Headed down for a short trip to see my sister get her ring. Put down a couple New Belgium Accumulations at the New Belgium Hub before getting on the plane. Flying into enemy territory (Austin) today instead of Houston.

[This message has been edited by NColoradoAG (edited 11/14/2013 2:42p).]

Don't know how long you'll be in Austin, or if your just flying through. But, if your sticking around let me know. I'd be happy to meet up and grab a beer or three.
DaveHimself
AG
Rahr 9th anniversary, a Belgian Golden. Good beer..fruity and more hoppy than I expcected

MW03
AG
Enjoying the new Shiner White Wing
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Is the White Wing and Rahr Belgian in wide distribution yet? I have seen neither.
Marooned_n_Aggieland

Finishing off my 4 pack of this new Victory beer. Reads like this is a replacement for their Hop Wallop. Pretty decent, kinda reminds me of Endeavor.

[This message has been edited by Marooned_n_Aggieland (edited 11/16/2013 3:20p).]
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Shiner calls the new White Wing a Belgian White which by their description I going to assume it is their Belgian witbeer. Think Hoegaarden. BA lists it as a Belgian Pale which is a totally different style profile. I hope it is a witbeir.
First Page Last Page
Page 319 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.