Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,676,663 Views | 62649 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by steve00
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
Leffe: Outstanding. Might be my go to for the rest of the trip unless I can find something else.

I loved that beer on tap..so much better! It became my go-to as well when there wasn't a local selection.

Leffe is comprised of many different beers.. which one?

The neck beards wouldn't drink leffe, it's an Anheuser busch beer!

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 10/23/2013 11:30a).]
The Beer and I
quote:
quote:
But no great Belgian Quad tasting would be complete without Saint Arnold DR 13!

I know you're probably being facetious, but I thought DR13 was Saint Arnold's best beer in years.

Nothing wrong with DR 13, it just doesn't hold up to the ones I mentioned. Not many beers in the world do.

By the way, if you liked SA DR 13 and haven't had St Bernardus Abt 12 or Rochefort 10, go get them immediately. They are both easy to find around Houston and not super expensive. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.

[This message has been edited by The beer and i (edited 10/23/2013 12:42p).]
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Will try those. Actually just came back from Spec's on a whiskey run and picked up a bottle of Boulevard Bourbon Barrel Quad. Must've just dropped.
army01
AG
....if i ever drown, please make sure it is in Rochefort 10
aggiejz
AG
I'm actually going to Paris in January for a few days, so I'm going to have to be sure to remember to check back on this thread or save that info. Sounds pretty awesome, and I could definitely try and bring some Texas/US beers to trade.
aggielax48
AG
Just picked up a Rochforte to try based on this tthread. Also got a Prairie Somewhere sour.
aggiejz
AG
I had Prairie Somewhere for the first time the other night on tap at D&T. Really enjoyed it, as I have most everything I've had of theirs thus far.

I also tried Saint Arnold's Fresh Hop that night, too. Flavor was pretty good, aroma was lacking though which disappointed me for a fresh hop beer. Thought the Austin Beerworks one was much better.
IronRed13
AG
Whenever I'm in France/Paris my list consists of:

Grimbergen Dubbel
Grimbergen Blonde
Grimbergen Optimo Bruno
Leffe 9
Leffe Blonde
Leffe Tripel
Tripel Karmeliet
Affligem Tripel
Affligem Blone
La Trappe

On my next trip in the spring I'll search for Le Mont des Cat. Newest Unofficial Trappist beer
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Made a trip to Specs.

Got some Miles Davis *****es Brew, Brooklyn Local 2, Sam Adams New World and Stoney Brook Red (had these previously and really enjoyed them), and Brooklyn Chocolate Stout. Also got the stone porter.
maca1028
Left Hand Wake Up Dead, good stuff
The Beer and I
Good to see everyone picking up some Belgians. I really liked the La Terrible and Brother Thelonious too.

I picked up a six pack of Ska Mole Stout, probably the strangest beer I've had in a while. Literally tastes like mole. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Tried the burning string thing from several pages back to make cups out of beer bottles. Doesn't work on thicker bottles at all. Tried on regular long necks and it can work in theory but is more delicate a process than they let on. The crack follows the string exactly so if it's not straight when you light it, it will be wavy. Also, where you cut off the excess string once you tie it, that ends up with a wider flame and makes a deep wave.

In the end, it is theoretically possible, but looks to take some fine tuning. Not the super easy process the instructions make it out to be.
La Fours
AG
Drinking an Icon Gold Biere de Saison. It's pretty good. I made a pot of chili and used a mother in lager in it. Not sure how it will turn out. It's a completely new recipe.
Quincey P. Morris
AG

You can see how the edges are wavy. Just need to figure out how to get the string straight on and I'll be good to go. Also, it does seem you have to keep it horizontal or you run the risk of getting vertical cracks. That's what happened on my first attempt.
EFE
AG
Wet sanding with an Emory board or cloth might help you to even it out
AggieOO
quote:
In the end, it is theoretically possible, but looks to take some fine tuning. Not the super easy process the instructions make it out to be.

basically came to the same conclusion several pages back. i gave up. I tried it on about 10 bottles of varying thickness and couldn't get a single one to come out close enough to want to waste time sanding.
AggieOO
went to dark beers tonight. i'm only a couple sips into my 3rd 12oz and i've got a SOLID buzz.

Started with a Scotty Karate (scotch ale) from Dark Horse. 9.75%

Then moved to a Special Reserve Dark ale from Dark Horse. 8.5%

And just started a Dragon's Milk from New Holland. 10%
txagbq00
What did you think of the Dragon's Milk? It was one of my favorites from a night of drinking in Ann Arbor a few months ago.
Hub05
AG
I think Dragon's Milk is underrated. I really enjoy the roasted, nutty flavor. Of course it doesn't compare to the likes of KBS/BCBS, but its a good shelf beer.
AggieOO
I really liked it. Wish I had more bottles. Guess ill put it on my list for the next trip up north.
dave99ag
AG
I have a bottle of Dragon's Milk from a trip to Michigan last year. Might have to crack it open.
Jock 07
AG
Just grabbed a sailing santa at the class six at sheppard afb. After getting down the road a little bit I realized it is last years beer. They must have figured it was time to start trying to sell last years stock. Oh well
jah003
S
Uhh... Yes please... (Top of the blog)
http://jesterkingbrewery.com/blog/

I'll punch a kitten and a puppy in the face at the same time if it means getting my hands on a bottle of the Collaboration...
MW03
AG
Just poured my first ever FBS. Pretty, pretty good.
62strat
AG
Drinking a brash imperial chocolate milk stout. Damn I wish I didn't finish off my ice cream last night! Would make a great float.

10% and smooth as hell.
cpscAG06
AG
I am not sure how it is going to work (transfering names), but I may have an extra ticket for F&S fest @ Jester King on Sunday. I emailed Jeff to ask about it, but I haven't heard anything yet. The ticket is just for admission only, no bottles.
The Beer and I
Battle of the stouts.
MADDUD
Goose Island Harvest Ale.
cpscAG06
AG
Prairie Ales : Somewhere

Delicious
jetch17
AG
I just saw some of that at central market in Houston tonight but didn't pick any up...
maca1028
That blog from jk definitely peaked my interest
NColoradoAG
Because Thursday

BSD
AG
Because hell yeah!
CollinAB
AG
Nice stuff there, NColoradoAg. How does it stack up to that 07?

Also got some Karbach Mother in Lager today. Pretty good offering from them.
NColoradoAG
'12 is drinking nicely. The '07 was pretty awesome. Turfman had kept that baby with care.
First Page Last Page
Page 308 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.