Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,674,102 Views | 62644 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by Quincey P. Morris
maca1028
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Had me an Ommegang Three Philosophers tonight. Yea Buddy!
army01
AG
Having a New Belgium Rampant DIPA right now. Learning that, for the most part, stick "Imperial" in the style, and I'm going to try it.
NColoradoAG
Jock, one misconception floating around about crooked stave is that everything they make is sour. That's not the case. Everything is fermented using Brettanomyces, which imparts a dry tartness, but no sour. It seems most of the sour offerings, especially their more courageous offerings, are going to cellar reserve members. They will be releasing some of the base sours in the near future that they use to blend. The next one should be Le Brett D'Or. Judging by the crowds and such at Crooked Stave lately, you'll probably have to go to the brewery or join cellar reserve to get your hands on the sour goodness.

St Bretta, btw, is an awesome brew. I've also liked the bottled version better than on tap. The Brett has already whittled away a lot of the Witbier qualities of St Bretta. All the CS beers seem to change rapidly in the bottle, which is fun for a beer geek.

[This message has been edited by NColoradoAG (edited 6/4/2013 10:11a).]
NColoradoAG
quote:
Stopped by Crabtree brewing in Greeley tonight, not bad. Had their golden 8, a Belgian golden strong. Paired with a prime rib from TX roadhouse

Crabtree has been slipping. I used to like a lot of their stuff, but not much anymore. I did hear they put a "framboise" on recently that was pretty good. I think they should focus more on making great beers other than small batch barrel aged stuff. But, that's why Jeff moved to the larger spot. He wanted to focus more on taproom sales than distribution. Can't blame him for that.

I agree about your assessment of Colorado women. The best time of year is the first couple days its sunny and 75+. They all want to get out of sweaters and into the skimpy stuff. UNC is especially nice due to the fact the female:male ratio is about 62:38.

Now, I wouldn't call Greeley "Podunk." It's not Denver, or even Fort Collins, but its rapidly getting better. Some might argue against that with "all those damn Texans invading our state and raping the land" (thats meant to be read with sarcasm).

I've been here for 17 years and its changed a lot. Mainly due to oil & gas, along with the rapid expansion of the University.

You know, if you'd hit me up, I'd buy you a beer and show you some better places to get a meal than Texas Roadhouse!
NColoradoAG
FYI to all Coloradans, Avery releases #15, Momi Hiwa, in the barrel aged series this weekend. It's an Imperial Porter aged in rum barrels with coconut.

Here are the details:
www.facebook.com/events/380465398728970/
And here's the thread on BA. The Barrel Herder over at Avery will usually post the tap list for the release. The special taps are half the fun of going.
http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/avery-momi-hiwa-barrel-aged-series-15-june-9th.93271/#post-1369580

I won't be there because I'm going to the mountains for a long weekend (I turn 30 next Tuesday). The releases are fun. I encourage you to get there an hour or two early, bring a bottle to share, and enjoy Boulder.

Uncle Jacobs is right around the corner and I WILL be there for that.

[This message has been edited by NColoradoAG (edited 6/4/2013 10:44a).]
jetch17
AG
finally hitting around town next week, still pissed i missed most of the draught release while i was out of town.

gordo97
AG
had this last night.... really tasty!!!

(not my pic BTW)

streetfighter2012
AG
Jetch- Cedar Creek still has it on tap. I had one last night, it's pretty tasty.
Jock 07
AG
I still have so much to learn about beer.
TxKng82
AG
Damn I would love to have some of that Avery brew. Wish some of that barrel aged stuff made its way to Texas. Would have love to try some of the Rumpkin last year.
army01
AG
I'm hoping we get some Uncle Jacob's again...
62strat
AG
NOCO, I stay in Greeley now on Monday nights for the next 5-6 weeks, so we def. should meet up soon. Can't be out too late though, 5am safety meeting on tuesday I've been staying in one of the hotels along 34 there by crabtree.

If Greeley has grown recently, well it's gonna grow more. Drilling like crazy out in NE CO. I see new drills go up every week just on my drive out there which is the same everyday.

And the prime rib from tx roadhouse wasn't half bad! Course, no steak is bad when you expense ithttp://texags.com/images/forum/icon14.gif

I've had the Avery Rumpkin, the label looked just like that coconut porter, so I assume it's the same series. Man those are some strong ass beers. No one else in US has that many 15%+ beers.. Avery is def. king in that arena. Maybe DFH is close.. I haven't kept up with them in a while.

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 6/4/2013 4:44p).]
AggieOO
Look what I stumbled upon tonight

Sazerac
AG
Here's my (little urban) Acheiver Ale. First pull from the tap.

Has that distinctive homebrew taste unfortunately. Not my worst beer, it's drinkable, but nothing special.

The Beer and I
Got the Southern Star Valkyrie. It's good, but not great IMO. I know they are ags and I shouldn't say this, but it kinda seems like a cash grab. I had it as their Pro-Am last year, and it was $12-15 for a 4 pack. Now it's $6.50 for a 500 mL? I probably won't get it again.
army01
AG
AggieOO -very nice!
Jock 07
AG
Stopped by trinity brewing this afternoon for the first time. Was a bit underwhelmed by their offerings. Did however, pickup a raffle ticket for Avery's sourfest tickets they're giving away on thurs. don't know if I'm going to make it back over there for the raffle though.
Jock 07
AG
Also had this at the brewery (not my pic). About 10x better than trinity's DIPA

NColoradoAG
Was it Slap Yer Mammy?

I'm starting to notice we have very different tastes, Jock.
Jock 07
AG
It was. It just seemed meh to me honestly. Also had NB's LoF quad which I thought was pretty strong.
62strat
AG
Port makes some good brew. Pizza port as it was called iirc. I knew the story of that brewery but I forgot it.

Just had a saison and Russian imperial stout tonight from my local rock bottom. It's brewmaster Phil's last month there then he moves onto his own place near downtown, lowdown brewery.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG

Soon?
dave99ag
AG
I WANT THAT NOW!
BSD
La Fours
AG
Yes please.
AggieOO
Dave - can you find me a couple? Will pay/trade in a couple weeks when we see you guys.
wessimo
AG
At abita. Excellent tour - they hand you a cup and let you pour your own from the wall of taps. All you want for an hour or so.
jetch17
AG
quote:

Soon?

Bout damn time
corndog04
AG
So a couple of weekends ago I had a Breakside Duck Duck Porter. 100 actual roasted ducks were used in the boil rather than including roasted barley in their grain bill! Actually turned out to be a very nice porter - not something I would seek out and pay a premium for, but certainly enjoyable.
jetch17
AG
That kinda sounds like ass
EFE
AG
Did it taste like a duck fart?
wessimo
AG
Meat in the boil sounds nasty
AggieOO
I need the vomit icon.
maca1028
I'm heading out to Waller next week, I hear that the HEB's on 290 have a good selection which one would y'all recommend me stopping by? I need to stock up. The HEB's in the Pasadena area have a decent selection but it seems like some of y'all are having better luck on the NW side of town.
TxKng82
AG
The HEB in Fairfield(Mason Rd.) has a better beer selection. Really haven't been to the barker cypress HEB in a long time but its selection was not as good back in the day as the Fairfield one is.

First Page Last Page
Page 228 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.