Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

10,223,809 Views | 65429 Replies | Last: 14 hrs ago by Jock 07
jah003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
We actually stayed there as they were working on the taproom. Nice to see it's up and running.
Kyle98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brewery hopping in Asheville this weekend. 6 breweries downtown yesterday, today is West Asheville. I'll post pics later. Some really good beers here!
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kyle98 said:

Brewery hopping in Asheville this weekend. 6 breweries downtown yesterday, today is West Asheville. I'll post pics later. Some really good beers here!


Awesome! A beer pilgrimage site if there ever was one for sure. Enjoy.
Kyle98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No doubt! Yesterday:
White Labs
One World
DSSOLVER
Asheville Brewing
Wicked Weed Funketorium

Then $3 beers at the Tourists game, followed by closing the night out at Burial.

Today so far has been Cellarest and Archetype.
jh0400
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I love the pizza at White Labs
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jh0400 said:

I love the pizza at White Labs

Agreed on this!
Jock 07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Didn't get any pictures but stopped in at two tides brewing yesterday, it was excellent.
Picked this up from the beer store, honestly probably should have gotten some two tide cans to go.
jah003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Chipotlemonger said:

Kyle98 said:

Brewery hopping in Asheville this weekend. 6 breweries downtown yesterday, today is West Asheville. I'll post pics later. Some really good beers here!


Awesome! A beer pilgrimage site if there ever was one for sure. Enjoy.

Yep, Bend and Asheville are both on my list. My brother has already done both. I'm not jealous at all…
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Add me to that list as to having done both. Sorry, jah.
swampstander
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

swampstander

SoTxAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
At 3% this is a crushable, yet flavorful, alternative to all the macro lights out there. And i wanna go to Bend and Asheville too.

jah003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Chipotlemonger said:

Add me to that list as to having done both. Sorry, jah.

I'll actually be in Madison in a couple weeks which I feel like is an underrated beer city. Sadly New Glarus is currently under massive renovations so they aren't open.
Kyle98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Asheville Trip Report:

We've got a group of 5 that used to all live in the Flower Mound/Highland Village area and did a run club at What's on Tap there every Thursday. Over the last 5 years or so, 3 of us have moved out of Texas (Knoxville, Asheville, and me to VA), so we try to do guys' trips when we can, around beer. This year was Asheville (4 of the 5 were able to be there), and we based it around an Asheville Tourists game on Thirsty Thursday ($1 drafts, $3 craft drafts).

I drove down and got there late Wednesday night, and we just drank beer at the house to get our livers prepped for the next two days (Sweeten Creek AsheChill, Pisgah Pale Ale, Blowing Rock Kolsch).

Thursday we started right around noon with lunch at White Labs. As someone mentioned above, the food there is superb. I didn't have a pizza, but the Italian sandwich was pretty amazing. Had the ESB, since I figured IPAs would be plenty throughout the weekend.

Next stop was supposed to be DSSOLVR, but turns out it didn't open until 3:00pm, we we audibled and stopped in for a quick pint at Spanky's Bargeda, a convenience store with a bar. Decent draft list, I had a Foothills Brewing Hazy Jade. It was ok at best.

After that, headed over to One World Brewing. Underground tap room where I was crowned the champion of the dart board. Had a Make Yourself Juiceful Hazy IPA. Again, not bad, but didn't stack up to later ones.

By that time, it was after 3:00, so back to DSSOVLR. It was worth the way, top stop of the day. They had one of those mini-Nintendo consoles setup, and sure enough, the old Contra code still works! I had a couple of half pours since I couldn't decide what to get. First was Love Computer (TDH DIPA in collaboration with Oklawaha Brewing). Really damn good. Wish I had picked up a 4-pack right then, as we never made it back there.



Then I had their Italian Pilsner, Cold Caprese Pizza (collaboration with Hoof Hearted Brewing), which was probably the best beer of the day. Made with 100% local malt from Riverbend Malt House (more on them later). Dry-hopped with Tettnanger and Saphir, it was a great contrast to the juiciness of Love Computer.



Headed over the Asheville Brewing Company after DSSOLVR, and was a bit disappointed. Their Perfect Haze IPA was probably the worst beer of the day. Had a sip of my buddy's Fire Escape, a jalapeno pale ale, which was actually pretty damn good. Just the right level of spice.

Next we hit the Wicked Weed Funkatorium where I got a Chien de Ferm. Solid tart cherry sour. Cool setup there, too.

Now it was time for baseball. Had a couple of WW Perni-haze's there. Best part of the game was the scout sitting in front of us getting a number dropped off to him on a note that said, no ****, "do you want to do it?" We of course heckled him about it, so he turned around and said "did you guys just see that happen?" and showed us the note. No idea if he closed the deal or not.

After the game, headed to the only place that was still open, Burial Beer, for one last pint. I had....Sparked From the Recollection of a Distant Awakening....try saying that after a day full of drinking. NZ hops dominated this West Coast IPA. Very delicious, and a perfect cap to the day.

Day 2 started with a tour of the above mentioned River Bend Malt House. Pretty fascinating. 3 of the 4 of us are homebrewers, so it was cool to see a craft malt house and hear their story. Highly recommend calling Brian there and getting a tour if you're in Asheville.

The first brewery of the day was probably the best of the trip. For sure the best beer. Cellerest Beer Project in West Asheville. Brian at River Bend recommended it (and one of the later ones, Diatribe), as they both use his malt. I started with Albero, their oak-resting Italian Pilsner (yes, I love that style). Very similar to the one from DSSOLVR, with a hint of oak.



Then, the beer of the trip, Inizo (in collaboration with Eno River Brewing), their farmhouse pale ale fermented with foraged yeast in a cherrywood foudre. Slightly funky but 100% delicious. Unfortunately, they didn't have either of those in cans. I also sampled a buddy's pour of their Cellerweis hefe, which was also excellent.



Walked down the street to Archetype. Had Part-Time Prophet (hazy) and Cue the Sun (west coast), and both were good, if not spectacular. Also had a pizza from the shop next door, which was very good!

Headed from there to Diatribe a couple of miles away, again at the recommendation of Brian. It's right up there with DSSOLVR. Started with their New Zealand IPA, which was one of the best I've ever had. They did have cans to go, so I snagged a 4-pack.



Finished at Diatribe with a Czech Pils, which was a great example of the style. Could taste the Saaz.

Finished out our trip at Sierra Nevada. HUGE facility. Standard SN beers, solid. I had Rad Little Thing and I couldn't go to SN without getting a Torpedo, one of my first craft beers!



Finished the night at the house with the Rangers/Astros game (3x Rangers fan, 1x Astros fan) and a mixed 12 pack of Wicked Weed Pernicious variants and a Fonta Flora Brewing Hop Beard (pretty good WC IPA I got for the can art).



All in all, a very successful trip to Asheville. First time in 33 years I'd been there, so first brewery experience.
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Awesome write up and sounds like a hell of a trip!
cena05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Awesome trip, no Burial stouts?
jh0400
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife and I took my mom, stepdad, and niece to Asheville for Thanksgiving last year. I picked up some of that Dssolvr Cold Caprese Pizza randomly at Whole Foods and was pleasantly surprised by it.

Sounds like you had a good trip. If you ever make it back, one thing I should have recommended is a stop to Hi-Wire in the River Arts District. They share a space with an indoor golf simulator if golf is your thing.
steve00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nice to find some specialty Belching Beaver at HEB. This one has a lot more body than the original Phantom Bride and hits pretty good at 9%.



maca1028
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I haven't had phantom bride in a long time, great beer
Kyle98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cena05 said:

Awesome trip, no Burial stouts?

Not much of a stout drinker. Also, I was pretty well-lubricated by then, and the interesting name caught my eye more than anything else!
wessimo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

GuatemalanAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I enjoyed this 8 hopped Spanish IPA this afternoon during the World Cup Final
AggieOO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'll be in Fort Collins in a couple weeks. Already done a bunch of googling, but who has some first-hand experience with breweries there who wants to make some recommendations. Obviously New Belgium and Odell are there, but looking more into the smaller spots. I'm not an IPA or Sour guy, so no need to send me to the "Best IPAs in all of colorado" brewery.
steve00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hotel, Grist Mill, and Hall beers




Crawdaddy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Never heard of a bad time in Gruene!
Jock 07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AggieOO said:

I'll be in Fort Collins in a couple weeks. Already done a bunch of googling, but who has some first-hand experience with breweries there who wants to make some recommendations. Obviously New Belgium and Odell are there, but looking more into the smaller spots. I'm not an IPA or Sour guy, so no need to send me to the "Best IPAs in all of colorado" brewery.

Tap and handle and mayor of old town will typically have some good stuff on tap. Recently had a pour of one of the expensive ass Alaskan barrel age stouts for a reasonable price at mayor of old town.
SoTxAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Too bad. I liked a lot of their beers.

Jock 07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Crawdaddy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
KinderHill's 1 year anniversary in their current location!

They brought back one of their OGs Big Pink Energy. *****ly pear gose. Not a huge gose guy but it hit great in this heat.

On left was a hazy with only 5 IBU, also great sipper for the season.
Jock 07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was on the coal train side of town the other day so I stopped in. Didn't have much time and not knowing anything about the brewer, Motueka, just grabbed this can at random. It's pretty solid.
CDub06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bummer. Kinda surprised by that as they had wide distribution and I always assumed they operated mostly contract brewing? But now that you mention it, I've not seen their cans very much recently.

They had some fun sours and stouts.
dave99ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Chilling at the beach.
txag2008
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Soda and beer cans in Hawaii have the ridges around the top because the islands use an older 1980s canning design called a 206 diameter can. Even though they use more metal, it is cheaper for them to keep using its old machines than to replace them.

Langley
How long do you want to ignore this user?
txag2008 said:

Soda and beer cans in Hawaii have the ridges around the top because the islands use an older 1980s canning design called a 206 diameter can. Even though they use more metal, it is cheaper for them to keep using its old machines than to replace them.




How much more metal per can
ag88man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When in Poland, do as the Poles do.
CDub06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nothing wrong with sucking down a Pole or two.
First Page Last Page
Page 1866 of 1870 ▼
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.