Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,656,897 Views | 62636 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by maca1028
Wheatables02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DallasAggie2012 said:

I can echo the love for Creature Comforts after visiting while in Athens for the game. Awesome atmosphere and outstanding beer. Pretty sure the place was about 75% Aggies the Friday night before the game.

We met up with MattJaxson and his wife at Creature Comforts too and shared a couple of nice bottles. Great to get to meet them and put another face to a name here.
Sorry I didn't get to meet up with you. I ran into an old roommate that morning at Mama's Boy and he met me at Creature Comforts with his wife and we spent the whole evening at CC catching up.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I just saw that. Hopefully they don't screw it up.
NColoradoAG
Ranger #007 said:

Chipotlemonger said:

Constellation selling Ballast Point. Their $1B investment in hindsight was poorly timed. The market has changed a lot since then.

Really hoping they don't end up as part of one of the various evil empires. That would suck.

Technically they were part of an evil empire. That evil empire did what evil empires do and gutted ballast point as demand dropped, took a hit on the investment, and jettisoned them into (most likely) oblivion.

Ballast Point ownership and investors made out like bandits though back in 2015
Topher17
AG
The brewery they sold to is tiny. I'd love to know the price, although it isn't being disclosed. I imagine we'll start to see Ballast fade from shelves here pretty soon.
DallasAggie2012
AG
No worries man! How was Mama's Boy? Had heard great things about it.
MW13
AG
I've got to go to Round Rock next week but will be done around lunch time, is Pinthouse my best bet?
CDub06
AG
That Ballast Point news is nuts. Sounds like the brewery recruited a few investors to get the deal done.

Here's a good article: https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/drink/ct-ballast-point-sale-kings-convicts-20191203-t4b6ug6ywfgyxmkqtnhhs33t7i-story.html

Quote:

Kings and Convicts co-founder and CEO Brendan Watters said the price was less than $1 billion, but declined to elaborate, citing details of the agreement. Industry newsletter Beer Marketer's Insights reported that the deal was consummated for a "surprisingly low price."

The sale was as unlikely as it is unprecedented. Kings and Convicts, which opened a small brewery and 400 square foot taproom in Highwood in 2017, is a tiny brand unknown to most Chicago beer drinkers. It will make a mere 660 barrels of beer this year.

Ballast Point is one of the nation's most recognizable brands, on pace to make about 200,000 barrels of beer this year. Watters, who is in San Diego Tuesday to announce the deal to Ballast Point staff, said he told workers there not to worry about the fact they haven't heard of Kings and Convicts.
"I said most people in Chicago don't know us, either," he said.

Ballast Point is distributed in 49 states. Watters said the brand will honor existing distribution contracts, but will focus efforts on core markets, including California, Illinois, Washington state and its international business. All existing Ballast Point facilities will remain open, he said, and sales, marketing and human resources staff all gutted under Constellation will be rebuilt, he said.

And a few details from another article:

Quote:

According to the release, Kings & Convicts will retain Ballast Point employees. He told Brewbound that the company plans to hire 70 sales and marketing team members to support Ballast Point in major markets in California and on the West Coast, as well as major cities such as Boston and New York.

"We're going to put boots on the ground in states that really matter," he said.

The buyer isn't well known. In fact, many within the industry trying to find out about Kings & Convicts and were left wondering as the Chicagoland outfit's website crashed following the announcement. The company is self-described as a craft brewery that "offers great craft beer and golf simulators." The Kings & Convicts brand is sold in Chicagoland and southern Wisconsin.

In addition to acquiring Ballast Point, the 2-year-old Kings & Convicts will open a 48,000 sq. ft. production facility in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin, next year.

Watters said the plan is to continue Kings & Convicts as a regional Midwest brand, while maintaining national distribution for Ballast Point.
dave99ag
AG
So, they aren't making their money off of craft beer in that small of a region. I guess golf simulation is paying the bills to buy a once billion-dollar beer company.
Jock 07
AG
MW13 said:

I've got to go to Round Rock next week but will be done around lunch time, is Pinthouse my best bet?
I'd say so, check to see if they have anything left from their release last week. the fog one was pretty solid.
BowSowy
AG
MW13 said:

As a former Round Rock resident, chipotlemonger will be able to give you recommendations
Chipotlemonger
AG
BowSowy said:

MW13 said:

As a former Round Rock resident, chipotlemonger will be able to give you recommendations

Thanks for the intro.

PHP is the best option for sure.
jah003
S
MW13 said:

Uhh yea it is... Lunch special is Pizza, Salad and a Beer for like $14. Happy hour starts at 4 as well and is killer.
jah003
S
MW13 said:

Uhh yea it is... Lunch special is Pizza, Salad and a Beer for like $14. Happy hour starts at 4 as well and is killer.
dave99ag
AG
Stopped by Jester King on the way to Alpine. More Dots is delicious and it was my wife's idea to get the magnum.

La Fours
AG
Awesome.
Robert C. Christian
AG
dave99ag said:

Stopped by Jester King on the way to Alpine. More Dots is delicious and it was my wife's idea to get the magnum.

Bout time she finally got experience one.
dave99ag
jah003
S
Best deal in beer...
turfman80
AG
Man, I hope that makes it to B/CS
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
DaveHimself
AG
Speaking of BCS, where is best place for bottles? Specs? HEB? Wifey is running marathon tomorrow but I get to drink hotel beers tonight.
La Fours
AG
Specs and H-E-B are your best options for bottles.
Bmac04
AG
Agreed. Picked up a case of it
Chipotlemonger
AG
Thanks for this beer, Jah. Another great stout from Prairie. Lots of depth of flavor here. Love the hazelnut. Was a great beer this weekend.

FriedTex
AG
Bought 2 four packs tonight. Tasty
wessimo
AG
Houston Haze on sale at Kroger right now for 6.99/6pk. Found some at 11th St.
txaggie05
AG
wessimo said:

Houston Haze on sale at Kroger right now for 6.99/6pk. Found some at 11th St.
Jock 07
AG
Wonder what the date is on them
wessimo
AG
Nov 10. Not hyper fresh but tastes good to me.
Jock 07
AG
Plenty fresh, would have figured they'd be from August or something, damn good deal
La Fours
AG
Really good pickles. Like a kosher dill.

jah003
S
Take it to the Pickle Thread.
La Fours
AG
Flagged
SoTxAg
AG
Martin House supposed to be putting the pickle beer in their year round rotation for 2020. You'll be able to consistently mix one into your beer line-up to prevent cramping while doing your 12 or 16 ounce curls.
AgEng06
AG
One of my favorite Prairie beers...

Quincey P. Morris
AG

Picked this up at Spec's on Smith St. I'm looking forward to giving it a try.
First Page Last Page
Page 1474 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.