Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,678,549 Views | 62656 Replies | Last: 12 min ago by swampstander
jh0400
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They sell them. I don't know how much they cost, however.
wessimo
AG
Petrol is gunning for the title as well.
62strat
AG
Two down, they will fill an outside growler, but be weary of labeling. Some laws are picky about filling a container with something other than what's on the label... a generic label (like 'hay merchant') is good to go.

you can usually buy growlers at the place.. first fill plus growler is $15-$20, then refill price afterwords.
Two Down
AG
Thanks, Strat. Any one know where I might be able to pick up some growlers on the cheap? I know that D&Q sells them, but most that I saw were branded with a specific Co.
jetch17
AG
Petrol, BRC, Hay Merchant, Rockwell Tavern all have growlers for sale.
Two Down
AG
Looks like I will just bite the bullet and buy at Hay Merchant when I'm there; it's only 3 min. from the house.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Whole Foods also sells growlers. Not sure D&Q still sells them since he had to take his fill station down.
Two Down
AG
I saw some in his glassware section last time I was over there - will check out Whole Foods also. Is there one in particular I should check out?
62strat
AG
the price of the actual growler is not bad at the bar. A growler is 4 pints.. so anything in the $20 range, pretty much getting a free growler.

you can get some half growlers at specs with beer in them.. drink the beer, keep the glass.

mississippi mud is one that comes to mind, and it's cheap, about $3.50. screw top 32oz. half growler. I also got a pumpkin beer in that container recently, I think saranac?

Bring two of those in, a half growler is better; once you open a growler, depending on how much you drink, you may not be able to save it (it will go flat if most of beer is gone)

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 11/8/2012 2:43p).]
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Drinking Pumpkinator on Nitro. Excellent.
defroach
Growlers are only good for beer that you cannot get in bottle or can.

Ive been to Whole Foods in Austin and you can get a growler of Stone IPA (at the time) for $12. Seems like a good deal...but a 6 pack is 9.99, so you get 72 oz out of a six pack or 64 oz out of the growler.

Just keep that in mind.
NColoradoAG
Defroach, that is a good point that is sometimes forgotten. However, I take a different stance when it comes to filling growlers at a brewery (not sure if that is even allowed in TX). I can get a sixer of Odell IPA for about $9. I can buy a growler of Odell IPA at the brewery for the same amount. I take the growler almost every time because I know I am getting the freshest product possible.
62strat
AG
NCoAG, a brewery can't sell growlers, but a brewpub can, or restaurants/bars that have the correct license/permit to do so.

I'll pay 20% more for draft over cans/bottles. Could I tell the difference in a blind taste test? Who knows, but I'll still pay a bit more for draft.

spadilly
S
I know these brews have been talked about already on here, but heck, here's my thoughts on what I picked up this week:

Bodacious - Found it at both Specs and Kroger (I was shocked). Picked up 2 bottles. Eh. Not impressed. Not enough hops for my liking. It just seemed....plain. And I usually love anything they put out.

Karbach Yule Shoot Your Eye Out - In the fridge now. Wasn't able to try it last year, so I'm hoping it lives up to my expectations.

Jester King Gotlandsdricka - Haven't been impressed by anything they put out, but the beer guy at Spec's told me to give it a try. I'll let you know later this weekend what I think.

Dogfish 75 minute - Spec's just got a shipment of this stuff. Had it a while back and liked it so much I couldn't pass it up.

Should we win tomorrow, I'm headed straight back to Specs for some celebratory drinks.
spadilly
S
oh yeah...and Rogue First Growth Pumpkin was AMAZING. Very impressed.
EFE
AG

Beer haul for the evening
jetch17
AG
Nice, I've passed on the rogue pumpkin 3 times now, but may try it for thanksgiving
spadilly
S
Jetch - it may be the best pumpkin brew I've had.

Eagle - look at you! Looks like you'll have a pretty good weekend!
EFE
AG
They had the pumpkin tonight and I passed, only had it in bomber form and the bottle was bright orange sitting next to their abomination in pink.
AggieOO
picked up a bottle of Tank 7 tonight. it's been a while since I've bought this on.

Saison is quickly becoming one of my favorite styles.
jetch17
AG
Yeah I'm gunshy of painted rogue brews
streetfighter2012
AG
I had a rogue pumpkin tonight and thought it was solid.
txag2008
AG
quote:
Rogue First Growth Pumpkin

Any Dallas folks seen this around??
62strat
AG
eagle, random trivia: The founder/owner of Pike's brewing in Seattle, Charles Finkel, designed the label for the celebrator dopplebock. (he's designed all the Pike's labels as well.)

Look him up, he's got a very decorated past and is a prominent figure in beer/wine history.

I met him; he gave my family and I a private tour of Pike's brewery and then ate lunch with us. It was amazing.

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 11/9/2012 11:24p).]
p-wonk01
AG
Texags..saw it at Cebtral Market on Greenville this week
duck79
AG
txag2008,

Yes Rogue Pumpkin is in Dallas but we just got our last shipment of it about 2 weeks ago. There wasn't very much left that went out to market so you may have trouble finding some by now.

[This message has been edited by Duck79 (edited 11/10/2012 8:56a).]
jetch17
AG
Time to bust out the good sh*t tonight
BSD
AG
*****it up!!!
jetch17
AG
jetch17
AG

army01
AG
Had this one in Boston on Wedensday night:

And during today's game:
BSD
AG

quote:

TxKng82
AG
Had the Rogue Pumpkin yesterday during the game. It was good and one of the better pumpkin beers I've had but DFH Punkin is still my favorite pumpkin. Nothing has been able to come close to it for me yet.
BowSowy
AG
Curious if DFH Punkin ages well. I realized today that I had one sitting in the fridge from earlier this fall. If it ages well at all, I may just leave it.
cpscAG06
AG
I just popped open a 5 yr old punkin. It was pretty good.
First Page Last Page
Page 139 of 1791

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.