Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,677,040 Views | 62649 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by steve00
khkman22
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wessimo, are you still thinking of selling your brewing equipment? If so, what do you have? I would possibly be interested, although I don't have much, if any, room to put it. Part of the reason I haven't already bought some for myself.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Trying Live Oak Hefe again at Obannons right now.

Look-amberish, semi transparent, almost has a blue moon type color but darker

Taste-complex. Hoppy, citrus, hops and more hops. Almost has a straw, grassy type flavor at the end. Very crisp. Tbh kind of reminds me of mown grass. Call me crazy.

Verdict-Wouldn't buy a six pack of it, but I'd drink it if it was offered to me, and would enjoy it at obannons on a once in a while basis.
army01
AG
A long work night...so broke out a bottle I have had for quite a while. Good flavor, especially as it warms up. Nice bit of fruity sweetness to the nose, moderate carbonation, but a bit boozy on the tongue...decent beer.

jetch17
AG
BSD, how was the Petrol share? cool or douche-y?
62strat
AG
quote:
I would possibly be interested, although I don't have much, if any, room to put it.

your basic brewing equipment takes up very little space. couple of buckets that stack, carboy, some misc. small items can go in sterilite type container.
LCE
AG
Live Oak Hefe is awesome...and unless something has changed, it would be very difficult to buy a 6-pack of it.
jetch17
AG
methinks i know how the bottle share went... heres some nuggets from the BeerAdvocate forum:

quote:
All I have to say is this:

WHO BRINGS UTOPIAS TO A BOTTLE SHARE?

Holy sh*t. That was intense.

quote:
'07 Black Ops
'08 Black Ops
'11 Dark Lord
'11 Hunahpu
'11 Brute
Bo & Luke - though most people ignored the growler
Pliny the Elder
'12 Framboise for a Cure x3
'11 Utopias (same guy who brought the Framboise)

'08 BBQ
'11 BBQ
Lil B
Lawon's Finest Liquids Hopzilla
Zombie Dust
Heady Topper
Boxer's Revenge
OG Black Metal
Wisconsin Belgian Red
Pumking
'08 Mokah
Brash Brewing - Item Nine Ale
Brash Brewing - Texas Exile
Pretty Things Meadowlark IPA
GI '12 BCBS
GI Matilda
GI Sofia
Stone 11.11.11
Decadence 08
Kern River Class V
Brux
Marshal Zhukov
Pond Hopper
Brash - The Bollocks
Clown Shoes - Pimp
Rumpkin
DuClaw Black Jack
Freetail Fortuna Roja
New Glarus R&D (didn't catch the batch)
DORIS
BORIS
Noble Rot
Pangea
Various Divine Reserves
Maine Lunch
Old Viscosity
Portsmouth Petite Saison
Mo Betta Bretta
Racer X
Firestone Walker XII
Guava Grove
Porcine Unidragon
BSD
BSD
AG
The Petrol bottle share was a good time.  There was a ton of beer but here is what I had:

Pliny the Elder
Racer X
'12 Framboise for a Cure
'11 Utopias
Pumking
'08 Black Ops
Firestone Walker XII
'11 Dark Lord
Heady Topper
'08 Southern Tier Mokah
Port Brewing Old Viscosity
Clown Shoes Pimp
Goose Island BCBS
Marshal Zhukov
DORIS
Pumpkinator Cask (I liked this much better than the bottle)
3 Floyds/Mikkeller Boogoo
Steinhaus Brewing Mission St 20th Anniversary
Haverhill brewing Joshua Norton Imperial Stout
3 Floyds Fresh Hopped (didn’t get whole name on this one)
New Holland Imperial Hatter
Drake’s Denoggonizer DIPA

More importantly, they raised a decent amount of money for the little boy, who was there and said thanks to everyone.  I talked to the boy’s father for a bit and he was very grateful for the support.  Situations like this remind me how fortunate I am to have a healthy family.
p-wonk01
AG
Here are a few pictures for my last few days in the Chicago area....these go with my posts on this page and the one prior

Three Floyd's Brewery in Muncie, IN

Al's Italian Beef "dipped" (I went to the one in Wrigleyville)

Kuma's Coner (Thanks to BSD)

Their original

The one I had (it was dark so it didn't show up. I had the Pantera)

Revolution Brewery

And finally my Haul from BLinny's and FFF for the trip home. I hope they all make it back. I wasn't prepared to take it home this time so had limited space.

khkman22
AG
quote:
your basic brewing equipment takes up very little space. couple of buckets that stack, carboy, some misc. small items can go in sterilite type container.
Storage in my house is very minimal. I could probably find room by putting it in various spots instead of one central location. Basically have one closet with a little space and then possibly a little space in the attic, which is not floored. I also need a brewing pot in addition to what you posted and we don't have any cabinet space in the kitchen for it.

If I was going to store stuff in the attic, how would you recommend I do it to keep it as clean as possible? Would trash bags be good enough?
62strat
AG
Shouldn't make a difference. If you have like spiders or other random stuff in the buckets after storing for a while, just do a quick rinse/clean, then sanitize. Store buckets with the lids on (and stopper in the hole if it has one, and stopper in carboy. That will prevent any thing gross from getting in there.

you don't need that big of a pot to do partial mash. 12-16 qt. or so should do it.

Maybe you could go this route
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_33_52&products_id=13440

much smaller buckets/carboy, and def. don't need a big pot.

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 10/31/2012 2:12p).]
jetch17
AG
Figured I might as well tonight

[This message has been edited by Jetch17 (edited 10/31/2012 8:57p).]
AggieOO

very interesting. doesn't taste like beer at all. almost tastes more like a fruit juice i drank when i was in elementary school. at 8% it packs a little punch.
62strat
AG
hmm, that's very cannibalistic.
jetch17
AG
Houston folk, Bunker HEB got some Chatoe pumpkin patch

jetch17
AG
dp

[This message has been edited by jetch17 (edited 11/1/2012 11:50a).]
wessimo
AG
I changed mind and am going to hang on to my brew stuff. I got the hankering to brew a chocolate coffee mint stout (peppermint mocha stout?)
62strat
AG
Coming soon... St. Arnold restaurant?

From the latest news letter:

We are seeking an executive chef for our soon-to-open restaurant and in-house catering operation. Candidate should have at least three years of previous restaurant experience at the sous-chef level or above in fine dining restaurants or hotels. Banquet work is a plus.

Our candidate must have excellent social skills, be highly organized, detail-oriented and passionate about creating great food. Customer contact is an important part of the job, as is a genuine interest and enthusiasm for Saint Arnold beer and the food that complements it.

Duties include food preparation, supervising and training the kitchen personnel, scheduling, maintaining good food and labor costs, purchasing, inventory, receiving, quality and portion control, menu development, and pricing.

If interested, please email a cover letter and resume to kathy@saintarnold.com.
wessimo
AG
based on my understanding of TX law, they can't operate as a brewpub. not sure what this would be for.
jetch17
AG
I think it's mainly for catered events
streetfighter2012
AG
I would guess its for private events held at the brewery. If it is a closed event I wouldn't think the brewpub laws would come into affect.
62strat
AG
quote:
based on my understanding of TX law, they can't operate as a brewpub. not sure what this would be for.

It didn't say that it would be a brewpub. They have every right within the law to open up a restaurant and sell their own beer to themselves.
I read it as they are opening up a separate location, strictly food and catering, which means it would work fine.
AggieOO
they can open a brew pub. they would just have to brew their own beer on-premises at the brew pub and sell that. but that beer could not be sold anywhere else.

if they wanted regular SA beer on tap, they'd to buy it from a distributor. so they'd have to sell it from the brewery to the distributor and then buy it back from the distributor at a marked up price for the brew pub.

regardless, doesn't look like a brew pub. a separate restaurant would also have to buy from a distributor.

[This message has been edited by AggieOO (edited 11/1/2012 8:39p).]
62strat
AG
it almost would be a good idea to open a brewpub with a pilot system. they could do new small batches, sell that to the customers at brewpub, and get ideas for what they want to do on a big scale to distribute.

aggie00, that's what I meant when I said sell it to themselves.. I didn't mean directly, that wouldn't be selling.

Basically, they are setting themselves for a big success once TX beer laws loosen up. A big brewery, and a brewpub.. that's a lot of income, and the brewpub won't have to make their regular beers, only the smaller seasonal and one-offs.

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 11/2/2012 9:22a).]
62strat
AG
Now that I think about it.. if Brock really wanted to ensure success, have not only SA beer on tap, but all the other houston beers. so many people would go just because they can get any houston beer, in addition to all SA small batches... as long as the food is good, that's a gold mine.
Jock 07
AG
quote:
it almost would be a good idea to open a brewpub with a pilot system. they could do new small batches, sell that to the customers at brewpub, and get ideas for what they want to do on a big scale to distribute.

Doesn't DFH have a setup just like this?
62strat
AG
yep, exactly like that.
gordo97
AG
this sounds tasty but i bet they charge an arm & a leg for it

quote:
Bishop's Barrel No. 1 is an Imperial Stout aged in 48 Woodford Reserve bourbon barrels for ten months. The nose is all bourbon and chocolate. The taste starts with a mix of spice with the bourbon and chocolate emerging and lingering through the finish. The light carbonation keeps the beer from becoming cloying, almost giving it a perception of lightness. A pleasant sipping beer, the bourbon is both present but not overpowering as you work your way through the glass. This beer should be served at 55°F or a couple degrees warmer.

http://www.saintarnold.com/bb/

http://www.saintarnold.com/news/index.html#bishopsbarrel
wessimo
AG
I predict $15 per 12oz bottle.

Stop the insanity.
62strat
AG
Not sure why they didn't go with bombers.

They could charge $20, and it's reasonable, because with a 10-12% bomber, you treat it like a bottle of wine.. you drink on that 1 bottle your whole stay, whether for dinner or just socializing.

12oz is not much..

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 11/2/2012 1:10p).]
NColoradoAG
I often struggle to drink a full bomber or 750 of a barrel aged beer. I find myself capping them after a glass and finishing the next day.

I like the barrel aged beers that come in 12 oz bottles and tend to buy/trade more for those.
62strat
AG
well i agree for home. but these are only going to be at restaurants; one 12 oz beer isn't much with dinner, but 2 of them would be more $ than a single bomber I'd imagine.

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 11/2/2012 2:49p).]
AggieOO
Stopped in at pinthouse pizza in Austin. They've only been open a week. Currently enjoying a session while waiting on food. They only have 4 of their beers on tap, but have lots of guest beers. Nice selection. Looks like they will have more of their own stuff soon.
tfishtex
AG
Drinking dogfish head punkin ale from my superman pint glass in honor of jff's stupid unsportsmanlike conduct
This is the second one I have opened, I forgot how much I liked it the first time
First Page Last Page
Page 137 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.