Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,640,966 Views | 62609 Replies | Last: 36 min ago by SoTxAg
Robert C. Christian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks, they had shared Russian River's video and I thought that was the link I posted. Should be good now.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
That's insane. I wonder what percentage of those folks are just there to flip it on trade. I don't think there's a beer in the world I'd sit and wait in line for 8 hours to get.
jh0400
AG
It's a draft only release. Two 8 oz servings per person I believe.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
So no flipping, but damn. No freaking way.
62strat
AG
hah. Talk about a newb mistake.. showing up for PtY release in hopes you're gonna flip the bottle

Man,as much as I wanted to check that off my list, I would never wait in line. Luckily, in 2013, the cheeky monk allowed me to do just that.. showed up at 6pm, got ticket #3 (my uncle was #2), got some food and a beer while sitting at the bar, and had a PtY when they tapped it at 6:30, with an elder for side by side comparison to boot.

Turns out, I thought the elder was better.
jh0400
AG
I was in Santa Rosa the first day of the release last year and couldn't convince myself to wait in that line.
steve00
AG
I waited 4 hours in 2015, then 2 hours in 2017. I found it totally worth it both times, and will do it again next year. But I don't mind investing some time to get something great, unique or rare. Whether it's beer, BBQ, a show, cocktails or a tasting menu, most of the time I find the results worth the wait.

That line is pretty nuts though. I've never seen it that long. It will probably be the last time it is this bad, since they are supposed to open the new brewery later this year.
Chipotlemonger
AG

Had this bottle last night, a barrel aged sour ale from Ska out of Colorado. It was a great beer (a Flanders red style), goes toe to toe with many other great sours I have had.
AggieStout
AG
It was very good. Very bourbon forward but it was a smooth bourbon taste. Very enjoyable
Jock 07
AG
Went to PtY tapings a couple times at falling rock, longest I think I ever waited was like 1.5 hours. After the first time I swore I wouldn't do it again but then a buddy wanted to go for his first time so I went back. It's good, but certainly not worth the wait, especially with the IPA renaissance in the past few years. Just too many options to be waiting in line for it.
reesei10
Anyone else see this? It is pretty funny.

Stone Vs KeyStone

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
reesei10 said:

Anyone else see this? It is pretty funny.

Stone Vs KeyStone

What an Arrogant B*a*s*t*ard. Never had Keystone before?
ChipFTAC01
AG
I thought it was being done tongue in cheek but they obviously have to defend their trademark. Same reason A&M takes on anyone who used 12th Man.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
cc10106

mornin'
BQ78
AG
I think it was tongue in cheek but it had some very real arguments that would probably work in a trademark infringement case.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
BQ78 said:

I think it was tongue in cheek but it had some very real arguments that would probably work in a trademark infringement case.

They are actually filing suit though.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2018/02/12/legal-brew-ha-ha-stone-brewing-sues-millercoors-over-keystone-packaging/330455002/
reesei10
Wife got me a Valentines present!
dave99ag
AG
Enjoy those Keystones!
62strat
AG
Lucky #007 said:

BQ78 said:

They are actually filing suit though.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2018/02/12/legal-brew-ha-ha-stone-brewing-sues-millercoors-over-keystone-packaging/330455002/
Millercoors already pointed out they've used 'stone and 'stones' in advertising for years, some even before craft stone existed.

More recent

There is no way someone would confuse stone ipa or whatever with keystone

Different colors/art, keystone has mountains on it (very few craft beers have mountains on it outside of maybe CO), keystone is likely an 18,24 or 30 pack, and near all the other domestic, and it costs about 1/5 of the price.

Quincey P. Morris
AG
Someone who knows craft beer? Probably not. But the can in question could certainly cause some confusion among the uninitiated. I think they have an argument. I don't think it's likely that they win, but, with macro brewers buying up craft beer, it can't be dismissed out of hand.
62strat
AG
If you've never heard of stone craft beer, then this can't be confusing to you since there is only one 'stone' in your mind, so why would that even matter?

At the end of the day, the only scenario in which you could be confused is to have heard of both stone craft and keystone beer, but anyone who knows stone craft is not going to think this is a stone beer. It's pretty clear based solely on location of the beer on the shelf which stuff is craft (or crafty) and what is BMC, in addition to clues from price,packaging, etc.. Even the most amateur of beginners in craft beer still distinguishes the BMC section from the 'other' section of beer.

Now if keystone put these 'stones' in a cans with the black plastic 6pack carrier, the cans only said stone on it, put it in the craft section, and it was $9 a sixxer? Then we'd have some confusion and obvious intentional misrepresentation.

I could also see a tap handle that just says 'stone' on it maybe getting a craft drinker or two as well. But they'd have to lose the blue/white and mountains to fool most.

I think stone is pushing it. Keystones have been referred to as stones before they were around (I called them that in the late 90s in college.. so no doubt it existed years and years before). Greg tries to say that 'stone' is their word in the beer world, but I disagree.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
There's plenty of people that know Stone exists but don't know their culture or stance. Arrogant ******* stands out a bit on the shelf. I don't think they win, but it's not patently absurd like some of the Gibson lawsuits.
reesei10
In the video he holds up a can with "stone" clearly shown as the only word. Couldn't that in itself lead to trademark infringement? They didn't write "stones" or "keystones" as a complete word.

On a related note, I heard an NPR report this morning stating that we are running out of words to copyright.
BQ78
AG
They may have been using the word Stone for year but the cans he had in the video that just say Stone are way different than the ones in your post that say Keystone. Just as A&M has to protect the 12th Man I think Stone should go after those Keystone labels as an infringement. "Stone" is different than "Keystone." Plus any consumer confusion would be a definite detriment to Stone's reputation, as Keystone tastes like p!ss Water.
AggieOO
Stone needs to do 30 stones for 10 bones.

That was my go to in college for a couple years.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
I love Stone and can appreciate what they're going for here, but when Koch is stumbling over the words to even explain the concept of this lawsuit-- not to mention obviously covering up the "KEY" part of "KEY STONE" on the can-- then I can't really get fully behind it. It seems like this is a bit of (expensive) marketing, which is fine, but the indignation is a bit of a stretch.

I think there are enough relatively uneducated beer consumers on the craft beer-macro beer fence due to economic factors (or maybe just getting into craft) to where Stone can probably make a flimsy case, but I don't expect them to get anything more than maybe a slight tweak to Keystone's designs. Maybe a little cash? I'm not a lawyer.

I guess at the end of the day, I don't really think this stunt really brings any new drinkers into the independent craft beer fold. It comes across a little petty to be something a lot of people rally behind.
jah003
S
Stone should focus on what's really important here... making OG Dayman.
NColoradoAG
Inspector Spacetime said:

independent craft beer fold. It comes across a little petty to be something a lot of people rally behind.
This is every single public beer naming incident. It's constantly used by craft beer to virtue signal.

You probably know as well as anyone else how many of these issues are resolved with a letter and a little respect.

The beer name and trademark battles are as tiresome as people complaining about the price of beer.
CDub06
AG
62strat said:

There is no way someone would confuse stone ipa or whatever with keystone

Different colors/art, keystone has mountains on it (very few craft beers have mountains on it outside of maybe CO), keystone is likely an 18,24 or 30 pack, and near all the other domestic, and it costs about 1/5 of the price.

If the Longhorns had a case against Aggieland Outfitters that their Saw Em Off shirts confused people, then I guess this gripe has the same type of merit. Do you think any Texas fans were confused by the Saw Em Off shirts, even if they weren't aware of its longtime use by Aggie fans?
Jock 07
AG
Work hotel beer

La Fours
AG
Nice. But why are you in the hotel and not on the beach?
steve00
AG
I found this Keystone at my corner store last month. It is a little past it's born on date, and has lost some flavor.
cc10106
Long day. Beer me.

Jock 07
AG
It was on the way down to the beach
First Page Last Page
Page 1312 of 1789

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.