Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,567,277 Views | 62479 Replies | Last: 11 min ago by wessimo
Hudson2508
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You're right by my house. Beer joints in the hood are Beer Plant which is probably the closest to you, Draught House which is my personal favorite, or Pinthouse Burnett. Like Jah said, Sunrise is the best bottle shop but Rosedale market is your closest option with a deep selection.
Kyle98
AG
Cool, thanks guys. Hudson, I think we met up at Draught House a while back, didn't we? I guess I didn't realize it was that close to Camp Mabry.
aggiechris06
AG
Been off the thread for a LOOONG time, so sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseum

Going to be in Denver on September 7-10 and staying downtown. Not getting a rental car, and will have conference things during the days Thursday thru Saturday, but open evenings and got a late flight back (7 PM) on Sunday.

I wanted to know y'all's suggestions for best bars with good local/Colorado/not available in Texas selections in the downtown area. Staying at the Sheraton so close to Coors Field but not necessarily to Mile High, etc.

Just looking to get some new. tasty Colorado stuff in. Also if there are places that do Crowlers or good bottle shops in downtown those would be stellar.

Also, if you have any suggestions for a brewery that I might hit up on Sunday before the flight home that is downtown or close enough for a short Uber ride there, I'd appreciate ya.

Lastly, any chance there might be Pliny in the area while I'm there? I know it's not California, but it's a lot closer than Houston and might actually be possible in Denver? Maybe?

Thanks!
NColoradoAG
aggiechris06 said:

Been off the thread for a LOOONG time, so sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseum

Going to be in Denver on September 7-10 and staying downtown. Not getting a rental car, and will have conference things during the days Thursday thru Saturday, but open evenings and got a late flight back (7 PM) on Sunday.

I wanted to know y'all's suggestions for best bars with good local/Colorado/not available in Texas selections in the downtown area. Staying at the Sheraton so close to Coors Field but not necessarily to Mile High, etc.

Just looking to get some new. tasty Colorado stuff in. Also if there are places that do Crowlers or good bottle shops in downtown those would be stellar.

Also, if you have any suggestions for a brewery that I might hit up on Sunday before the flight home that is downtown or close enough for a short Uber ride there, I'd appreciate ya.

Lastly, any chance there might be Pliny in the area while I'm there? I know it's not California, but it's a lot closer than Houston and might actually be possible in Denver? Maybe?

Thanks!

Bars: First Draft (self serve concept, good food), Falling Rock (most popular, average food and service, Pliny will probably be on), Crafty Fox (traditional gastropub), Goed Zuur (perfect if you like wild ale and lambic, amazing but expensive charcuterie), Finn's Manor (Cool concept where they bring in lots of food trucks)

Bottle Shops: Mr. Bs (well procured selection, often has WeldWerks Crowlers but they go fast, somewhat expensive). Argonaut Liquors (close to your hotel, good selection and prices)

Breweries: If you're just doing one, take the short Uber to Cerebral. Many of the spots in River North keep late hours so you could visit spots like Ratio, Bierstadt, Beryls, and Crooked Stave after you have a meal. Woods Boss just opened up and I've heard good things. Nevertheless, if you're just doing one then Cerebral is the clear choice.

In regards to Pliny, unless you've never had it, I wouldn't stress. There are a dozen IPA's and DIPA's on the shelves that are as good. Or just get Crowlers at Cerebral. They're making some great IPA's. There is a better than average chance that you will find Pliny on draft.
aggiechris06
AG
Awesome! Thanks very much. Never had Pliny.

We'll be without a car and for two nights I'll have my wife and seven month old with me. Any of these places strictly 21 and up? And decent walking distance for most?

Never had Pliny so super pumped.
NColoradoAG
aggiechris06 said:

Awesome! Thanks very much. Never had Pliny.

We'll be without a car and for two nights I'll have my wife and seven month old with me. Any of these places strictly 21 and up? And decent walking distance for most?

Never had Pliny so super pumped.
That hotel is not in the best spot for walking to most of the beer spots if you've got a baby. Falling Rock would be the closest bar, and argonaut the closest liquor store.

I would call about the 21+ thing, but I think you'd be ok with a kid that young.

And I can't stress enough how much good beer you will miss if you only look for Pliny.
Represent830
AG

Family was over here drinking Albario so I busted some of my own out.
Represent830
AG
TexAgs hates the Spanish language, apparently
Jock 07
AG
Quote:

And I can't stress enough how much good beer you will miss if you only look for Pliny.

So much this. don't waste your time or energy trying to track it down unless you're trying to flip it in a trade.
Chipotlemonger
AG

Had both of these over the past week. Amazing beers.
62strat
AG
Jock 07 said:

Quote:

So much this. don't waste your time or energy trying to track it down unless you're trying to flip it in a trade.
He's staying right near falling rock. Seems like they advertise that they always have it. His search would be quick and would end there. Might as well knock it off his bucket list. Go for it man, it's a right of passage for any beer drinker.
NColoradoAG
62strat said:

Jock 07 said:

Quote:

He's staying right near falling rock. Seems like they advertise that they always have it. His search would be quick and would end there. Might as well knock it off his bucket list. Go for it man, it's a right of passage for any beer drinker.

I mentioned that in my post. My point was spending limited time exploring the Colorado beer scene looking for one double IPA while potentially ignoring other great beers is silly.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Getting settled back into Nashville. I think Jolly Pumpkin is an under talked about brewery. They make some great beers. And it's nice that they are widely available.

AggieStout
AG
The best kind of beer mail.
BMAC beer mail. Thanks BMAC

Bmac04
AG
Enjoy
cc10106
Tasty haze here. Based on the handful of beers I've had of theirs, Baa Baa Brewhouse keeps steadily improving.

62strat
AG
NColoradoAG said:

62strat said:

Jock 07 said:

Quote:

I mentioned that in my post. My point was spending limited time exploring the Colorado beer scene looking for one double IPA while potentially ignoring other great beers is silly.
oh I agree. But like you first said, and I was just reiterating, he won't have to. It's a few blocks away from his hotel, and plenty of local stuff to chose from while he's there.

Now if he wants a bottle of it, different story.
62strat
AG
Man, between the 'Aggie' and the whataburger stripes, you'd think this was a TX beer!
Jock 07
AG
62strat said:

Man, between the 'Aggie' and the whataburger stripes, you'd think this was a TX beer!

yeah I remember looking for that stuff for the novelty of it when it came out a year or two ago. never did find it, assume it must have only been a local Ft Collins thing.
maca1028
aggiechris06
AG
That's exactly my plan. I'd like to cross it off the list if it is feasible. Certainly don't want to overlook a bunch of other stuff though in looking for it.

I'll have a couple nights on my own before the wife and kid arrive. Definitely hitting up some downtown places both nights.

Do you guys have any suggestions as to what particular beers I should be keeping an eye out for that are among the best in the area that I might not be able to find here in Texas? Both on tap and/or and bottles and crowlers?
62strat
AG
Jock 07 said:

62strat said:

yeah I remember looking for that stuff for the novelty of it when it came out a year or two ago. never did find it, assume it must have only been a local Ft Collins thing.
This is the first time I've seen it. Saw it in an email ad for my local store, so it's def. out of Ft. Collins now.
62strat
AG
aggiechris06 said:

Do you guys have any suggestions as to what particular beers I should be keeping an eye out for that are among the best in the area that I might not be able to find here in Texas? Both on tap and/or and bottles and crowlers?

Here's a random list from a google search that represents a good range of styles. I'd say many of these are worth seeking out. Some are easy to get, some not so much and are not even available anymore. The big names are likely in TX (NB, OB, Ska, Avery, Odell).

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/04/40-of-the-best-colorado-beers.html

River north has the highest concentration of (pretty much all good) breweries, so with little money spent on uber you can hit lots of them.There are almost 15 or so within a mile or two of each other.

http://denverbreweryguide.com/breweries.aspx

If you like Belgians, take a short Uber up to Bruz on pecos/67th. This guy is a master of Belgian beers.

Chipotlemonger
AG

A little beer mail l to start the weekend! Thanks, Steve.
steve00
AG
Get your swerve on!

This is distinctively stone, but still pretty good.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I'm looking forward to that showing up here. DIPAs are right in my wheelhouse.
steve00
AG
This one is more what I'm into right now.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
That looks awesome as well.
turfman80
AG

This is really good!
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
Jason_Ag98
AG
Love what Pinthouse is doing with IPAs!

Scriffer
AG
Can't wait for this one every year

Jock 07
AG
Bmac04
AG
Very excited that HF started canning
turfman80
AG

I know it's 100 degrees outside but this is some ultra fresh hop fruitiness.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
La Fours
AG
Where did you get it? I haven't seen it in any stores in BCS yet.
First Page Last Page
Page 1244 of 1786

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.