Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,673,731 Views | 62644 Replies | Last: 30 min ago by Quincey P. Morris
Hudson2508
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Did Steve confirm Enjoy After was the joke beer? Has anyone had a good bottle?
jh0400
AG
Hudson2508 said:

My bottle was awful.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Trying out this unfiltered Sculpin for this Rockets game.
Jock 07
AG
Hudson2508 said:

Have never heard of a good experience with that beer
Jock 07
AG
Little flat but not as flat as some much fresher hair of the dog and lost abbey stuff I've had.

steve00
AG
Confirmed. I dare you to drink it.
Chipotlemonger
AG

Pretty tasty raspberry sour. Haven't had JK Atrial myself so I cannot dona direct comparison.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Pretty tasty raspberry sour. Haven't had JK Atrial myself so I cannot dona direct comparison.

http://goo.gl/images/YkouO9
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Head Ninja In Charge said:

Trying out this unfiltered Sculpin for this Rockets game.
Lost by 25. Never drinking this **** again.
AggieStout
AG
Wow the color of that wicked weed is amazing. Not a fan of sours but I would drink that just cause it looks so refreshing
AggieStout
AG
Spurs win, I win. Drinking this finally from when the wife got me it for Christmas. It is really good too.

Been waiting for this Pe-Kan to come out and finally picked some up and tried it.

steve00
AG
Go Spurs Go!
62strat
AG
So all these places in Denver are announcing their removal or WW kegs... whatever. But this just made me laugh..

"We are very sad and shocked to hear the news that Wicked Weed Brewing is selling to AB InBev. When we heard, we were a world away in Brussels, Belgium. Earlier that day we had paid a visit to Drie Fonteinen, a lambic producer with a tradition passed from generation to generation. A favorite of the day, Oude Geuze Cuve Armand & Gaston was a blend created by father (Gaston) and son (Armand). We can't stop thinking about how special this beer was. It was an enjoyable flavor experience, for sure, but it was more about the love and time that went into the production of this beer.
We are firm believers that the combination of time, tradition and love is the foundation of good beer. In order to have this foundation, a brewery must be independently owned. We follow this philosophy strictly at The Jailhouse and have vowed to never buy a beer that is under the thumb of AB InBev. Their philosophy is not in line with ours nor any of the breweries we choose to support. While we were honored and very excited to introduce our patrons to these wonderful beers from Asheville, NC, you will no longer see Wicked Weed beers poured at Jailhouse.
We have one keg left of Wicked Weed in our cold room, which was purchased well before their acquisition. We will be pouring Barrel Aged French Toast for half off in order to recoup the cost of the keg. Please stay tuned for tapping information."

So I'm reading this story, and it's emotional, them talking about generations of families perfecting a craft, and the mindset of supporting these breweries in america who share that vision, making wonderful beer that is rooted in tradition, etc.. Everybody is all so serious about craft beer and values and hard work and tradition.. right?

Then the punchline, 'so we're pouring the french toast beer.......'

Sorry, that's funny to me. We're so serious about beer, yet we have a french toast beer. It seems that AB would be the one with a french toast beer. It's like something out of Idiocracy... or Joey from friends.

Beer, goood... french toast, gooooood.. french toast beer, goooooooooooood!

AgEng06
AG
Barrel Aged French Toast is a WW beer...
wessimo
AG
Lagunitas is selling the remaining half of their business to Heineken. Heineken bought the first half in 2015.
62strat
AG
AgEng06 said:

Barrel Aged French Toast is a WW beer...
correct.
AgEng06
AG
Hmm, I guess I misunderstood your point. Carry on.
62strat
AG
AgEng06 said:

Hmm, I guess I misunderstood your point. Carry on.
My point is, craft beer is taken so seriously by so many people... like what I'm reading in the story above by this random bar and all the backlash/remarks over this acquisition.. Yet, before yesterday, WW was a craft brewery, lauded by so many, and they make a 'french toast' beer.

It's silly. How can we be so serious about craft beer but we are making beer that tastes like french toast? It has totally jumped the shark, and people don't even realize it. We have PB+J beers, milk chocolate beers, fruity beers, tiramisu beers, salty beers, horchata beers.. on and on.

French toast beer sounds like something AB would put out to capture bud light drinkers.. someone like Joey's character on Friends.

I feel like I just posted the exact same thing twice. Not sure how all that went over your head!?

AggieStout
AG
I see your point but something like french toast i don't think is that far off from beers with coffee, vanilla, maple, chilis, hazelnut. Even something that is like German chocolate cake which sounds like a great stout because of the dark richness is ok.

Now something that would taste like sour patch kids candy is over board.

There is a line there but it probably varies from person to person. I'm ok with a craft brewery trying different things within reason to make a great beer because then I know they are working really hard to make something amazing.
62strat
AG
AggieStout said:

I see your point but something like french toast i don't think is that far off from beers with coffee, vanilla, maple, chilis, hazelnut. Even something that is like German chocolate cake which sounds like a great stout because of the dark richness is ok.

There is a line there but it probably varies from person to person. I'm ok with a craft brewery trying different things within reason to make a great beer because then I know they are working really hard to make something amazing.
I'd even say that when we started putting all those ingredients listed, craft beer jumped the shark.

Beer existed for thousands of years with the same few ingredients. The US changed that. It's fine, I like the beers too, but let's not get so serious. We're talking about a beer that tastes like cake here, or one that tastes like a mocha cappuccino.

As popular as beer is in US now, how many other countries are following suit? I never see an old belgian brewery jumping on the bandwagon and making a vanilla maple chili trappist dubbel. There's a reason..beer is genuinely serious to them. It is actually rooted in tradition, and generational, etc.. For us to say that is kind of a mockery of those values. We have made it one giant experimental game, trying to create a new trend and ride it until the next trend shows up. I think we should admit that as an ethos.

There are obvious exceptions of course, many breweries do open up and want to be that serious artisan brewery using traditional ingredients and methods. But as a whole, all the people chasing beers are not chasing this. They aren't chasing irish red's, english pale ales, belgian trippels, german bocks.. etc. Those are boring for most that are several years into this game.
62strat
AG
God I'm trying to wrap my head around what would happen to this board if JK sold to InBev!?!?

I think it would implode. What would you do? Treat it like any ol other sell out and quit buying? Or continue to buy until you notice a decrease in quality, but totally deny any decrease in quality?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Let's not open that Pandora's Box.
Two Down
AG
One more reaction from a collaborator of WW:

Quote:

therarebarrelThis has been an awkward and emotional last 24 hours for us.
Over the years, we've become good friends with the Wicked Weed crew. We've grown to really respect the people and their beers. We've shared many beers together, made a beer together, are in the process of making another beer together, enjoyed events around the country, and hosted Wicked Weed events at our barrel house. We've shared some really good times together over the last couple of years.
It's about values.

Yesterday, Wicked Weed announced that they are selling their brewery to the megabrewery AB InBev (Budweiser, Shock Top). Here at The Rare Barrel, we've made a decision not to serve, collaborate with, or affiliate with AB InBev because our values do not align with theirs.
In order to stay true to our values, we're pulling out of the second part of our collaboration, will not be attending their festivals, and will not be able to serve their beer in our Tasting Room anymore.
While our values diverge and we part ways, we wish the people at Wicked Weed all the best.
Two Down
AG
And the final nail in the coffin...

http://allaboutbeer.com/news/heineken-lagunitas/

Quote:

HEINEKEN ACQUIRES REMAINING STAKE IN LAGUNITAS BREWING CO.
Scriffer
AG
Heineken could sell out to George Soros for all I care if they just keep making Lil' Sumpin Wild.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I'll just enjoy the hypocrisy and hope that means Atrial and the other small format bottles start hitting distribution. I'm ecstatic that Funk Metal saw distribution this year. I love that beer.
Jason_Ag98
AG
Scriffer said:

Heineken could sell out to George Soros for all I care if they just keep making Lil' Sumpin Wild.
I really enjoy that beer and have bought it every chance I get, but I haven't been able to find it in a year or two it seems like. Not sure if the word got out and it just goes super fast at my local spots now or if they changed their distribution.
wessimo
AG
I'll probably keep buying lagunitas. They make good beer and I don't hate Heineken as much as I hate AB.
jah003
S
62strat said:

God I'm trying to wrap my head around what would happen to this board if JK sold to InBev!?!?

I think it would implode. What would you do? Treat it like any ol other sell out and quit buying? Or continue to buy until you notice a decrease in quality, but totally deny any decrease in quality?
Would never happen. Even if it did, zfg. JK really takes themselves too seriously sometimes. You're just making beer... Calm down. Now if Austin Beerworks ever sold out...
Scriffer
AG
Well sonofa*****, I just checked their website, and it's not listed at all.
AggieStout
AG
62strat said:

AggieStout said:

I'd even say that when we started putting all those ingredients listed, craft beer jumped the shark.

Beer existed for thousands of years with the same few ingredients. The US changed that. It's fine, I like the beers too, but let's not get so serious. We're talking about a beer that tastes like cake here, or one that tastes like a mocha cappuccino.

As popular as beer is in US now, how many other countries are following suit? I never see an old belgian brewery jumping on the bandwagon and making a vanilla maple chili trappist dubbel. There's a reason..beer is genuinely serious to them. It is actually rooted in tradition, and generational, etc.. For us to say that is kind of a mockery of those values. We have made it one giant experimental game, trying to create a new trend and ride it until the next trend shows up. I think we should admit that as an ethos.

There are obvious exceptions of course, many breweries do open up and want to be that serious artisan brewery using traditional ingredients and methods. But as a whole, all the people chasing beers are not chasing this. They aren't chasing irish red's, english pale ales, belgian trippels, german bocks.. etc. Those are boring for most that are several years into this game.
I see where you are going and you make a very good point
AggieStout
AG
If I had a craft brewery and it started to grow and got and offer to be bought out like WW, I dont know that I could turn away from the money. If I was that good of a brewer why not start up another small brewery?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Doubt I'd turn it down but I'd also imagine they're locked up in non-competes for a while. Also seems like these guys are ostensibly retaining control but we'll see.
62strat
AG
AggieStout said:

If I had a craft brewery and it started to grow and got and offer to be bought out like WW, I dont know that I could turn away from the money. If I was that good of a brewer why not start up another small brewery?
Aren't these people staying on board after the buyout?
reesei10
jah003 said:

62strat said:

Would never happen. Even if it did, zfg. JK really takes themselves too seriously sometimes. You're just making beer... Calm down. Now if Austin Beerworks ever sold out...
I can understand JK's seriousness in this matter since they are heavily involved in fighting for rights for Texas Craft Breweries, and TABC just sad no that that recent collaboration release. However, making a statement that they will not carry WW does seem pretty series instead of just not selling WW without a statement.

First Page Last Page
Page 1198 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.