Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,675,420 Views | 62647 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by maca1028
dave99ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
La Fours said:

Any 4 legged critters worth pursuing in that area?
There's a herd of mule deer and elk have shown up on cameras. No one is hunting right now to build up the populations.
AggieOO
La Fours said:

Ones you'd actually see: Mule deer, whitetail, javelina, rabbit.
AggieOO
dave99ag said:

La Fours said:

There's a herd of mule deer and elk have shown up on cameras. No one is hunting right now to build up the populations.

Forgot about the elk. I've seen them closer to Marfa.

Also possible to spot an occasional big horn and audoud.

Lots of coyote out there too.
turfman80
AG
La Fours said:

So NCol, 62Strat, Jock or anyone else, I'm taking the family to Monarch to go skiing next week. I have already looked up the local liquor stores. What are some Colorado beers to check out while I'm there? Stuff that we don't get in Texas. IPA's are my favorite. But I like most any style.
Odd 13 Codename Superfan

Melvin 2x4 DIPA and Melvin IPA from Wyo. are on the shelves in Co.

La Fours
AG
Excellent.
txag2008
AG
turfman80 said:

La Fours said:

So NCol, 62Strat, Jock or anyone else, I'm taking the family to Monarch to go skiing next week. I have already looked up the local liquor stores. What are some Colorado beers to check out while I'm there? Stuff that we don't get in Texas. IPA's are my favorite. But I like most any style.
Odd 13 Codename Superfan

Melvin 2x4 DIPA and Melvin IPA from Wyo. are on the shelves in Co.

I agree on both fronts. Codename Superfan is probably Colorado's most "NE style" IPA. I also had Melvin (Hubert) and was really solid. I would think Superfan would be slightly harder to find, but both somewhat available.
Represent830
AG
TexAgs Beer and Camping Trip on Dave's Land 2017?
streetfighter2012
AG
My wife and I had seats last night for the Bell's tasting at the Midtown Specs hosted by the founder Larry Bell. We got to sample pretty much the full lineup of offerings. Oarsman, Lager of the Lakes, Oatsmobile, Am I Right, Two Hearted, Amber, Porter, Kalamazoo Stout, and the Specs folks pulled out a case of Expedition Stout that they picked up when the visited the brewery last year. Larry had some great stories from his history in the beer industry. How he got into home brewing while working at a bakery with a coworker in the 80's, how late one night someone came knocking on his door and he just knew it was the cops coming to arrest him for illegally selling beer out of his basement only to find out it was a local band who was going on tour and they wanted to buy beer for the road trip. To the thought process of how Bell's slowly planned and executed the expansion into Texas over the last several years by 'practicing' in smaller states to make sure that they had enough people prepared to handle the entire state. I believe he said over the next two weeks they will have over 40 people in cities across the state from Houston, DFW, Austin, San Antonio, El Paso, Amarillo and many others all having tastings at retail locations, or hosting events at bars. Overall it was an awesome experience and it got me excited not only to be able to drink their beers, but for the people and the process behind the beer.
jetch17
NColoradoAG
txag2008 said:

Codename Superfan is probably Colorado's most "NE style" IPA.

NColoradoAG
La Fours said:

I have no idea what will be down there. If you go through Pueblo you might find some Odd 13 or Melvin. I would imagine you will find some La Cumbre since they're out of NM. Elevated IPA is pretty good. They date those cans too. Their Malpaise Stout is usually out there too and its tasty. You probably can find some EddyLine cans as well. They're out of Buena Vista and make some good IPAs. I know you guys get Elevation down in TX, but you might find some one offs that may not have gotten down there.
La Fours
AG
Cool, thanks.

I messaged Roxy's Liquor on FB last night and the person working the account said they have Odd13 and Russian River. The person asked me to call to find out what was available as they were not at the store and didn't know.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
txag2008
AG
Hah. I'm definitely wrong. I'll call it the most available.

I wasn't able to get Juicy Bits in Denver when coming through
DallasAggie2012
AG
Really cool that this is happening with them. Sad there's only 1300 bottles as it will make it more difficult to get one, but I would love to try one. Hope there's a lot more of this to come as I'm excited to see how it turned out.
AggieStout
AG
streetfighter2012 said:

My wife and I had seats last night for the Bell's tasting at the Midtown Specs hosted by the founder Larry Bell. We got to sample pretty much the full lineup of offerings. Oarsman, Lager of the Lakes, Oatsmobile, Am I Right, Two Hearted, Amber, Porter, Kalamazoo Stout, and the Specs folks pulled out a case of Expedition Stout that they picked up when the visited the brewery last year. Larry had some great stories from his history in the beer industry. How he got into home brewing while working at a bakery with a coworker in the 80's, how late one night someone came knocking on his door and he just knew it was the cops coming to arrest him for illegally selling beer out of his basement only to find out it was a local band who was going on tour and they wanted to buy beer for the road trip. To the thought process of how Bell's slowly planned and executed the expansion into Texas over the last several years by 'practicing' in smaller states to make sure that they had enough people prepared to handle the entire state. I believe he said over the next two weeks they will have over 40 people in cities across the state from Houston, DFW, Austin, San Antonio, El Paso, Amarillo and many others all having tastings at retail locations, or hosting events at bars. Overall it was an awesome experience and it got me excited not only to be able to drink their beers, but for the people and the process behind the beer.
So how was the Expedition Stout?
maca1028
Has anyone had scotch abyss? Found a place that has some, seeing if it's worth it.
streetfighter2012
AG
Expedition was outstanding!
txag2008
AG
Enjoying some tasty 6pks in an Atlanta hotel room

--Creature Comforts makes some great stuff, seems like you don't hear much about them though. Tropicalia canned on 2/28, so good.
--Westbrook Gose is what it is.
-- The beer guy was talking up Burial Beer Co, this one is really solid.
dave99ag
AG
Nice to see Burial canning now. Visited their brewery in Asheville a few years ago and it was small, but enjoyed their beer.
maca1028
Nm
62strat
AG
NColoradoAG said:

txag2008 said:

In Colorado, outside of having to drive to Cow town

NColoradoAG
62strat said:

NColoradoAG said:

txag2008 said:

They are actually sending out about 250 crowlers each of Juicy Bits and Fruity Bits every week or so. Mr Bs, Tipsys, Mile High, and others are in the rotation.
AggieOO
in case you didn't see on FB, B52 had a roach in one of their bottles. Recall on Batch 2 of Bourbon Breakfast. contact the brewery if you have a bottle and they will "make it right."
NColoradoAG
Hypothetical question: You have a bottle of, let's say, Assassin. You open it, pour it, and a roach falls out. Do you drink it?
Scriffer
AG
NColoradoAG said:

Hypothetical question: You have a bottle of, let's say, Assassin. You open it, pour it, and a roach falls out. Do you drink it?

I can't really answer that, but at least we know the roach died happy.
AggieOO
NColoradoAG said:

its a bomber right? decent chance I'm drinking it solo, which means i've already ingested half the bottle on the first pour and going back for the rest of the bottle. so might as well scoop out the roach and finish it off.

the alcohol would kill any harmful stuff.
MathNewman06
AG
AggieOO said:

in case you didn't see on FB, B52 had a roach in one of their bottles. Recall on Batch 2 of Bourbon Breakfast. contact the brewery if you have a bottle and they will "make it right."
Already drank mine.
AggieOO
MathNewman06 said:

AggieOO said:

Already drank mine.
just think of it as a Jester King collaboration.
62strat
AG
NColoradoAG said:

62strat said:

NColoradoAG said:

txag2008 said:

They are actually sending out about 250 crowlers each of Juicy Bits and Fruity Bits every week or so. Mr Bs, Tipsys, Mile High, and others are in the rotation.
Yeh my first (and only so far) run in with JB was Mr B's, I picked up a few crowlers. I'll have to keep an eye for JB, I think I'd prefer it.. I find myself putting fruit in normal ipas now, when I rarely drink them.

Maybe txag2008 should have said codname superfan was CO's earliest NE style? I think it came around a few months before JB.

Edit: Codename is described as using juicy 'NW style hops' on odd13 website? I'm confused.. is that what all NE ipas have to give it the fruity aromas/flavors? NW hops in an IPA makes it NE IPA?
62strat
AG
NColoradoAG said:

Well.. dry it off, and then smoke it while you're drinking the beer.
AggieOO
62strat said:

NColoradoAG said:

Well.. dry it off, and then smoke it while you're drinking the beer.
this is definitely a colorado answer to the question.
La Fours
AG
AggieOO said:

NColoradoAG said:

its a bomber right? decent chance I'm drinking it solo, which means i've already ingested half the bottle on the first pour and going back for the rest of the bottle. so might as well scoop out the roach and finish it off.

the alcohol would kill any harmful stuff.
This is what I would do as well. But I would take pictures and let the brewery know about it. Post it here, and text some buddies who don't post on this thread.
MathNewman06
AG
AggieOO said:

MathNewman06 said:

AggieOO said:

Already drank mine.
just think of it as a Jester King collaboration.

Brewed with a sense of place.
Now that you mention it, it did taste a lot like Conroe.

Actually, all I could taste was vanilla the rest of the night after drinking that beer.

Is it more likely that the roach was in that bottle, or in the barrel? Obviously a QC issue either way.

62strat
AG
Back on the juicy bits crowler topic, I remember I paid about $14 retail. Is that taproom price?

I'm kind of on the fence with that price.. it's draft/taproom price, but in a packaged environment. For instance, Dale's pale ale, they have those big 20oz cans sold as singles in stores, and they are like $4 or whatever.. priced along the lines of a 6 pack. They could theoretically 'package' a crowler (not pour and seal from a tap, but rather pour and seal on the packaging line), and it would be priced accordingly as well. it would be like $6. But as of now, a crowler is priced along the lines of a pint in the taproom.. it's the cost of 2 pints, with maybe a slight discount. This is for good reason, they poured it just like a beer, and there isn't much volume to discount much (not like a growler, which IMO should def. be less than 4 pints)

Buying a crowler in a store at taproom price, I almost get the sense of getting ripped off a bit. I paid $7 a pint for a beer, but I'm not at the taproom, not taking in that experience/talking to the brewer, etc.. I'm just walking in the store and buying it off the shelf.

I guess after saying all this, it's making wonder, will crowlers become packaged options (filled on canning line) , priced accordingly? (Say, about $6 a crowler) or are they to remain tap filled, and priced accordingly (price of two pints, $10+)?
First Page Last Page
Page 1161 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.