Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,640,366 Views | 62606 Replies | Last: 17 hrs ago by La Fours
The Milkman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Has anyone had any of the platypus beers in Houston?

Their brewery is a fun set up and worth checking out. A couple of duds, but I really enjoyed their Australian Wheat and Red Ale, Troppo and Ranga
Inspector Spacetime
AG
I like chocolate the best and cherry the least as well. We'll see how it ages
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Been in Europe for two weeks for work. Just got done with my assignment. Taking this bottle straight to dome for my victory lap.

La Fours
AG
Nice. That beer is sooooooo good.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I've still got my 2nd westy on hand of the two I had gotten out of that. Thanks again for that and the recent shipment!
cena05
AG
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/171471058/growler-chill-keeps-3-growlers-cold-fresh-and-on-t/description

Y'all like growlers? Check this out, I got in on the early bird price. Hope it turns out like they say.
Two Down
AG
Damn do want. But I got burned on a stupid meat thermometer...
cena05
AG
Yea, they look like they have all their err... stuff together, but you're right you never know.
NColoradoAG
cena05 said:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/171471058/growler-chill-keeps-3-growlers-cold-fresh-and-on-t/description

Y'all like growlers? Check this out, I got in on the early bird price. Hope it turns out like they say.
I think investing in Growlers right now is a bad idea. Crowlers are the future.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Possibly. But something like this, if wildly successful, could definitely change that.
jh0400
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Possibly. But something like this, if wildly successful, could definitely change that.

At $370, it won't be wildly successful.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Eek, did not see the price tag!

Okay I change my response.
62strat
AG
NColoradoAG said:

cena05 said:

I think investing in Growlers right now is a bad idea. Crowlers are the future.
This.. as NOCO surely has seen, breweries are starting to discontinuing growler fills, or never even offer in the first place. We can all thank the team at oskar blues and ball for their contribution to the future of fresh beer to go.

We may see expanded product lines in the canned to go realm. There are already little kegs, like breck and heineken do.. something along those lines.

A 128oz 'crowler', with a machine like this could be a hit.
jah003
S
Growlers have never made sense to me... Take Austin for example. I can buy a growler of Live Oak Hefe for $12. Or I can buy a 6 pack of Live Oak Hefe for $9. So I'm paying $3 more for less beer and less convienance... I get getting a Growler of something you can't find in bottles/cans, but that really isn't much these days.
Chipotlemonger
AG
To me it's always been about getting stuff that is draft only wherever I'm living for at home consumption. Depends on what beer/breweries you're into I guess to dictate how often a growler is useful for this.
NColoradoAG
Chipotlemonger said:

To me it's always been about getting stuff that is draft only wherever I'm living for at home consumption. Depends on what beer/breweries you're into I guess to dictate how often a growler is useful for this.
The growler is an inferior vessel at this point. The only advantage a growler has over a crowler is the ability to refill. And that advantage is often hindered in areas where breweries will only fill their own growlers.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Lots of smaller local breweries only put out kegs of seasonal/rare stuff. Hell, some of the small breweries don't can/bottle at all (ie Peticolas).

You are on about the cost though. It seems like most of the time, if something is available in cans/bottles, it will be cheaper than purchasing the growler. Plus, you don't have the convenience of individual cans.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I agree with the issue that some places only fill their own brand growlers. That is a huge detraction.
Chipotlemonger
AG
The Addison Whole Foods always has Velvet Hammer on tap for this very reason. (At least all during the time I lived in the area).
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I do get it though. I've seen some dirty looking growlers get filled that would probably alter the taste of the beer.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Well that's an issue regardless of brand. You can still dirty up a place's own brand growler when you use it and take it back w/o proper care.
NColoradoAG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

I do get it though. I've seen some dirty looking growlers get filled that would probably alter the taste of the beer.
I refused a few growlers when WeldWerks was still filling them.

Crowlers keep gaining hold not because they're better for consumers, they're better for breweries. The time savings alone due to being able to prefill them is worth the set up and maintenance cost.
jh0400
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

I agree with the issue that some places only fill their own brand growlers. That is a huge detraction.

I've got four or five glass growlers for this very reason. I wanted a fill from somewhere that would only fill their own. I also have a stainless steel growler that I bought because most places seemed open to filling a non-branded growler. I'd love for Texas to get it's **** together re: crowlers so I could free up the storage space.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Most of the places I've seen that only take a specific growler, treat them like a deposit. You exchange your dirty growler when you get a new one.
cena05
AG
There can be cost savings in cans and bottles, but not always the Whole Foods by me will fill a 64oz growler of Buffalo Bayou Ginger Bread Stout for 20$ where a 22oz bomber would be what like 12$ or so. They also have Clown Shoes Arch Druid for 20$ for 64oz and a bomber is around 14$ I think. I guess basically if it's not available in a 6-pack and only a bomber a growler could be cheaper.

I also just saw they have Lone Pint Knecht Ruprecht IV Chocolate Coffee Milk Stout for a 64oz growler fill for only $15.

https://www.taphunter.com/location/whole-foods-market-sugar-land/6188749960511488
Jock 07
AG
Isn't the reason for only filling brewery growlers due to state laws in some places? I think that's the case in California and Nebraska
aggiemike02
AG
that and being able to close/seal, store for a short duration longer, and drink again. crowlers are one time open only.
62strat
AG
Jock 07 said:

Isn't the reason for only filling brewery growlers due to state laws in some places? I think that's the case in California and Nebraska
I'm pretty sure it's illegal to sell any vessel that has something different inside it than what is shown on the label.

So brewery x beer going into brewery y's vessel is in and of itself possibly illegal depending on interpretation of that. (more so if the growler is a specific beer label, like saint arnolds elissa logo on it or something)

However, you can buy growlers with no label/markings, and I don't see why any brewery wouldn't fill it. You write on the cap or masking tape with what's in it to be in compliance with that law.

Quote:

that and being able to close/seal, store for a short duration longer, and drink again. crowlers are one time open only.
It's just 2 pints.. a growler is 4. 2 is easy for most people to consume in one sitting, unless it's really high abv, in which you share.

This is where the problem lies with breweries.. they want their beer to be consumed fresh. If someone opens growler, drinks two pints and reseals for next day, then upon opening, it will not be fully carbonated (still may be some left), and this is not how 'the brewer intended'... key phrase right there.. it's what I'm seeing everywhere. But I argue a crowler can have the same issues. One could open crowler, drink half, it sits open for 2 hours, then you go drink other half, and it's lost just as much carb if not more than the second half of the growler.

I think crowlers will win because:
*As NOCO mentioned, because crowler is disposable, you can prefill. If you prefill growlers, you'd have to give the glass away, because people don't want to buy a new growler every time. Prefilling has many advantages.

*Aluminum wins on almost all accounts over glass; lighter weight, recyclable, not restricted in certain areas, no light passes through, sanitary, cheaper...
docaggie
AG
I hate having to keep the growler around, plus I'm usually driving at least an hour away to get it filled, so it's rolling around in the Tahoe just begging to get smashed into sharp pieces.
If every place did crowlers, I'd pitch the growlers in a heartbeat.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
maca1028
Damnit! I just bought this!
jetch17
AG
Happy weekend, wieners!

dave99ag
AG
jetch17 said:

Happy weekend, wieners!
Proper or improper use of a comma?
jetch17
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Picked a bottle of Deep Ellum Barrel Crusher. Dream Crusher is one of my favorite beers overall so I'm ecstatic about a barrel aged version. Hopefully it's good.

Bmac04
AG
Just cracked this at lunch. Did anyone else thats had it feel underwhelmed as well

First Page Last Page
Page 1133 of 1789

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.