Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,644,557 Views | 62620 Replies | Last: 31 min ago by Chipotlemonger
Lt. Joe Bookman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks like it's going to be about 60deg when we take off from DFW and -10deg when we get to Minneapolis.
Jock 07
AG
AggieStout said:

These are all empty. How long did this take? Bottle share?
Yup bottle share here in Omaha last night. Started about 530ish finished up around 10ish probably 20ish folks
BSD
AG
Bmac04 said:

Chipotlemonger said:

I still can't believe how many people on this thread got selected for the TG deal. Did the news of the lotto just not get out? Who was the one who originally brought it to this thread?
I brought it up on page 1064, and of course I did not win

All winners prepare to get messages from me this weekend
too bad you don't look like JH or a young, ripped Brad Pitt.
BSD
AG
Just booked a tour at Surly for Thursday night. **** yo couch!
BSD
AG
Bmac04 said:

All winners prepare to get messages from me this weekend

I've got you covered on glassware.
IronRed13
AG
corndog04 said:

Where do you live? I have extra 08 and 09.
oh snap! Im west Houston
dave99ag
AG
BSD said:

Just booked a tour at Surly for Thursday night. **** yo couch!
Check out Fulton if you get a chance. Enjoyed that brewery more than Surly, which was still good.
corndog04
AG
IronRed13 said:

corndog04 said:

oh snap! Im west Houston

Have a throwaway email address? I'm too poor for stars.
IronRed13
AG
corndog04 said:

IronRed13 said:

corndog04 said:

oh snap! Im west Houston

Have a throwaway email address? I'm too poor for stars.
corndog04
AG
e-mail sent if you want to edit your post
AgEng06
AG
Because it's my birthday...

Hudson2508
AG
Thanks Jah, love this beer.

txag2008
AG
National Championship DIPA from Vermont.

Let's go Clemson
aggiemike02
AG
Of all places to find it...I find it at Crush in Amarillo.

Chipotlemonger
AG
Long shot, but is there anyone on here that has access to Hillstead Brewery beers? Looks like they do some cool releases, they're just all the way in Vermont.
Represent830
AG
corndog04 said:

I've still got a number of data issues to fix up that are causing some areas to be underrepresented and I also want to move to a more flexible visualization tool (chose this for quick and dirty), but here is a map of the country showing # of breweries per 100k residents per county. I filtered out counties with less than 50k people, these show as gray. The scale should go higher but this is maxing me out on the number of possible bins for whatever reason. There are actually 48 counties with > 5 breweries per 100,000 people. Top counties:

Deschutes County, OR: 15.4
La Plata County, CO: 12.8
Boulder County, CO: 12.2
Watauga County, NC: 11.3
Larimer County, CO: 10.5

What viz software you using? Tableau?
Represent830
AG

Thanks BSD. Roll tide.
DallasAggie2012
AG
Finished off a growler of Prairie Bomb! With IrishAg, and then opened up a 2014 BCBS. Hard to imagine it will turn into anything better than what it is now. Drinking just about perfect right now. Mellow heat, big vanilla notes, and just smooth as all get out.

Represent830
AG
Scriffer
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Long shot, but is there anyone on here that has access to Hillstead Brewery beers? Looks like they do some cool releases, they're just all the way in Vermont.

Hill Farmstead?

I'm pissed I haven't gotten my hands on any of that. My grandfather lived in Manchester VT, but on trips we could never get up to their distribution area. Their beers are my dream brews.
CodyCurry9601
Represent830 said:

Thanks BSD. Roll tide.

Whoa.
jah003
S
Final College Bowl Mania results...

Looks like txag2008 got the victory with that Clemson pick. Will double check tie breakers tomorrow, but for now... Sleep.
Bmac04
AG
BSD said:

I've got you covered on glassware.
corndog04
AG
I was lazy for now and just wrote to a CSV file, then copy/pasted in to mapinseconds.com. convenient but not all that flexible.

I will probably move it to matplotlib/basemap this weekend.
62strat
AG
corndog04 said:

I've still got a number of data issues to fix up that are causing some areas to be underrepresented and I also want to move to a more flexible visualization tool (chose this for quick and dirty), but here is a map of the country showing # of breweries per 100k residents per county. I filtered out counties with less than 50k people, these show as gray. The scale should go higher but this is maxing me out on the number of possible bins for whatever reason. There are actually 48 counties with > 5 breweries per 100,000 people. Top counties:

Deschutes County, OR: 15.4
La Plata County, CO: 12.8
Boulder County, CO: 12.2
Watauga County, NC: 11.3
Larimer County, CO: 10.5

How recent you think your numbers are?

This resource says CO added 42 breweries in 2016, and breaks it down by county.

https://www.porchdrinking.com/articles/2017/01/09/colorado-added-42-craft-breweries-in-2016/
corndog04
AG
I think my numbers are fairly good for operational breweries. I'm scraping daily straight from the brewer's association's website: http://brewersassociation.org/directories/breweries/?brewery_search=

I did some spot checking of my own of some small and newer breweries I'm aware of in Texas and Oregon and things looked pretty accurate, but I don't know the CO market and would be curious to see how accurate it is. My guess is that a new brewery that is a member of the brewer's association is definitely accounted for, but I'm probably missing newer breweries here or there that aren't members.

I'm also ignoring anything listed as "planning". These may or may not already be permitted but aren't known by the brewer's association to be active yet. I'm also guessing that I'm not including any purely contract breweries (and I'm not sure how many of those are around). The main reason I didn't include "planning" is that I don't think that list is curated as well. If I include them, I get 495 breweries in CO. If I exclude them, I get 338. I'm guessing a good number of that difference are already failed ventures.

My understanding is that all breweries nationally have to get licensed by the TTB. This is where I really wanted to get my data from, but they exclude individual brewer's from their FOIA information. They do give summary statistics though by state, and I find those numbers to be quite a bit higher than what is listed by the Brewer's Association. TTB shows 386 licensed brewers in CO at the end of 2016, up from 352 in 2015. So, there is a difference in 48 from the list I have. Possible that some of these are licensed but not yet operational or that they are so new that the Brewer's Association isn't aware of them yet.

Edit: It is probably the case that for some states I can get extremely accurate info from their equivalent of the TABC. Due to variation on how each state handles things and the time that would be involved to go through them all I decided not to go down that road.
62strat
AG
Well, the latest to open in CO is outer range, opened Dec. 26th, and it's on the BA list.. so yeh I'd say that's pretty updated!

Porch drinking goes on to further dissect the number, including categorizing multiple locations (which involves chains like bjs, cb potts, rock bottom, etc), and the few that are production only, no taproom.
jah003
S
txag2008, shoot me an email when you get a chance at jacobbocce72 at gmail dot com

I'll need your address and likes/dislikes when it comes to beer.
corndog04
AG
For some reason I thought this would be cool data, but it is actually kind of boring. I ran a word frequency analysis on US brewery names. Omitting the obvious (brew, beer, brewery, pub, city, house, company, co, etc.), top 10 words used with frequency in parenthesis were: River (88),Works (82),Big (67),Creek (63),Street (62),Mountain (61),Rock (51,skewed by Rock Bottom locations),Old (40),Black (40),Island (40)
txag2008
AG
Lucked out with Clemson and the tiebreaker.

Email just sent.
Thanks!
AggieStout
AG
aggiemike02 said:

Of all places to find it...I find it at Crush in Amarillo.

Had a bunch here in Austin at my local HEB. picked up another one the weekend of new years. Could of got you one or two and shipped.
AggieStout
AG
So from what I read the TG release is ALL cash for everything? That right? Shirts, glasses and other beer they will have, ALL cash?
turfman80
AG
Or your firstborn.
Two Down
AG
Holy hell just saw people finished below me
BSD
AG
AggieStout said:

So from what I read the TG release is ALL cash for everything? That right? Shirts, glasses and other beer they will have, ALL cash?
correct. ALL CASH. At least during the pickup. I'm not sure what the deal is after they open the doors at 4:30pm.

By the way, this trip is costing me a fortune. I had no idea coats, gloves, thermal underwear, etc cost so much!!! I should have just bought Bmac's at current market price.
First Page Last Page
Page 1123 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.