Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,677,466 Views | 62649 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by steve00
maca1028
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Who in here has used my beer collectibles?
62strat
AG
Cracked open a dry dock coffee whisky barrel aged imperial porter and a firestone walker sucaba last night. Both from 2014. That Barleywine was really good. Mellowed out, hard to taste the 13.5% abv.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Tried the Three Legged Lab from Karbach last night. That one was pretty solid. Looking forward to the FUN Series they release later this month that uses it as the base beer.
army01
AG
Does anyone (Bmac maybe) have a trader with regular access to Trillium? I am ISO the BBA Outside the Lines.
AggieOO
maca1028 said:

Who in here has used my beer collectibles?

Just perused the site. Holy crap are people proud of their beer. Do people actually pay those prices? Maybe I should sell all my stuff off.
maca1028
It's no good for barrel aged stuff but I found a pretty good deal on some IPA's that I can't get around here. I thought a few people on here have used that site before, just curious how it went.
Represent830
AG
I've never bought or sold, but I use it to check secondary values for trades.
Represent830
AG
jah003 said:

Home stretch of Bowl Mania... Current standings:

I still think Mustang1 shouldn't win... not enough of a semi-active poster.
MathNewman06
AG
I'll second that.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I propose we just declare me the winner as clearly I would have made those selections had I participated.
Jock 07
AG
Not pirate bomb, but serviceable
Bmac04
AG
army01 said:

Does anyone (Bmac maybe) have a trader with regular access to Trillium? I am ISO the BBA Outside the Lines.

Yes. Let me check and see if he still has one.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Anybody know where there is more Collage #2? Really enjoyed it and wish I had gotten more.
Bmac04
AG
My buddy has an extra. Email me and I'll get you his info.
txag2008
AG
If you're in Dallas, Specs on Walnut Hill had some last week.
Mustang1
AG
No sour grapes chief. Enjoying a Hammer Smashface during this crazy Rose Bowl.
MathNewman06
AG
Doesn't matter anymore for me. Penn state just blew the shot I had.
army01
AG
Just shot you an email. Appreciate it!
jah003
S
Up to the minute standings with 2 games left...

steve00
AG
I've bought from there maybe a dozen times. Always quick shipping, good packing and quality beers from the sellers. It is pricy, so I would only do it if you are splurging on something you couldn't otherwise get. I got a bunch of east coast IPAs and thought it was very worthwhile.
steve00
AG
Looking forward to trying these Tennessee beers. Thanks Chipotle.

MathNewman06
AG
Super over-carbed. Disappointed

Inspector Spacetime
AG

Having a Brash Black Masses at Ravens Tower since all their beers are half off tonight (metal night). Honestly, I live a mile from Brash and have had nearly everything they've made. I don't always feel like their beers live up to the hype (possibly because the beer ppl I know worship almost everything Brash does), but this one (double coffee milk stout) is damn good. Up there with Vulgar Display of Power and Pussalia for my favorite Brash beer. Hope they had some extra bourbon barrels to put this in. Anyone else tried it yet?
MathNewman06
AG
I had it at the release at petrol. It was good, but I honestly think I like cortado better.
Represent830
AG
Mustang1 said:

No sour grapes chief. Enjoying a Hammer Smashface during this crazy Rose Bowl.
You average 2 posts a month! I call for a DQ!
corndog04
AG
Finding myself with several days off of work and a nasty cold, I decided to diddle around with some python, census data, and brewery listings. Ultimately, I thought it would be cool to make some chloropleth maps of some different states to compare stuff like # of breweries per capita per county or zip code that potential brewery startups could leverage when looking for a final location. I'm not there yet, but made some progress. As a beginning, I calculated the # of breweries per capita for every town/city in Texas.

Populations are from the US Census 2012 estimates (used 2012 to follow along with a tutorial I found for working with Census data). Finding a good listing of breweries in Texas was difficult. First, I signed up at brewerydb.com and used their API, but spot checking found too many out-of-date entries. Next I tried the TABC public info records, but due to the mess of different licence types available in Texas I finally gave up trying to parse meaningful data. Where I finally had some luck was scraping information from the Brewer's Association as their listings look reasonably up to date. From there, I considered the categories "Micro", "Regional", and "Brewpub". In some states this would distort the data somewhat (example: Deschutes has 3 entries in Oregon for a regional brewery and 2 brewpubs), but it seems okay for Texas from what I can tell.

Some data points I found interesting...

Top # of breweries per 100k people, filtered for towns with population of at least 10k:
Boerne - 35
Fredericksburg - 19
Richmond - 17
Dickinson - 16
Webster - 9

If I limit to places that actually have at least 100k people, results per 100k people are:
Austin - 3
Round Rock - 2
Abilene - 2
Denton - 2
McKinney - 2
Corpus Christi - 1
(for reference Dallas = 0.967, Houston = 0.787, conclusion Dallas > Houston)

Top 10 underserved cities (2012 estimated population with no listings found):
Laredo (244731)
Grand Prarie (181824)
Brownsville (180097)
Mesquite (143195)
McAllen (134719)
killeen (134654)
Frisco (128176)
Carrollton (125409)
Midland (119385)
Odessa (106102)

Conclusion: If you want to open a microbrewery or brewpub in Texas with limited local competition look in affluent DFW suburbs, the Valley, or Midland/Odessa.

The brewery association also has listings for "Planning" breweries that haven't opened yet. I omitted these from the above numbers as it seems the standards to get one of these listings is pretty low and I don't think the list is maintained nearly as well (my guess is that a majority of these never pan out). If I included "Planning" in my filter, I got over 400 results for Texas. Without, it was less than 200. I also excluded "Large" breweries, but there were only a few listings and it wouldn't have really skewed the numbers much.

dave99ag
AG
Go Boerne! My hometown.

Too bad the beer there isn't very good.

Way to bring some nerd into the thread. Let's see some heat maps.
La Fours
AG
Nice work man. Sucks you aren't feeling well.
big-ag
AG
I used it to get a collection of Head Topper, Crusher, and Focal Banger that were a week old. A bit expensive but a heck of a lot cheaper than flying out there.
Represent830
AG
Data analytics and visualization... eff yes.

Now put some data in a Tableau map and I might J in my Ps.
62strat
AG
corndog0 said:

(for reference Dallas = 0.967, Houston = 0.787, conclusion Dallas > Houston)

Dang.. so that's about 17-18 breweries in Houston?

For reference, Portland, ME has 17 breweries, with just 67,000 people!
corndog04
AG
Yeah, 17 total for Houston. 12 each for San Antonio and Dallas, 25 for Austin. Now that I have my script set up I'll probably look at a few other states tonight.
DaveHimself
AG
corndog04 said:

Yeah, 17 total for Houston. 12 each for San Antonio and Dallas, 25 for Austin. Now that I have my script set up I'll probably look at a few other states tonight.
This may help you...a poster on here made this or I got it from Twitter, can't remember.

https://www.craftbeeraustin.com/texas-brewery-brewpub-tour-listings-map/
ChoppinDs40
AG
Headed the angelfire,NM in a few weeks. Any good recos on where to buy local or drink local?
corndog04
AG
Here are a few other results nationally...

Most breweries per 100k people:
City size > 10k people: Woodinville, WA with 80 (Boerne actually made 5th on this list).
City size > 50k people: Bend, OR with 25. This is a super tight race with Asheville, NC and might flip using more up-to-date population estimates. Portland, ME was 3rd.
City size > 100k people: Boulder, CO with 21
City size > 500k people: Portland, OR with 11

As far as underserved cities, I need to massage my data a bit more as there are some inconsistencies with how my census data handles naming of certain metro areas compared to my brewery list. The highest ranking area I'm reasonably confident in is Newark, NJ with no breweries and 277,727 people. Laredo is likely 2nd on this list.
First Page Last Page
Page 1117 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.