Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,569,003 Views | 62489 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by La Fours
Scriffer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Found this in the back of the fridge while doing some work in the garage. Batch 1 from January 2015. Probably been in there too long, but it's still one of my favorite JK brews ever.
dave99ag
AG
I see homebrew equipment. I remember those days.
Scriffer
AG
dave99ag said:

I see homebrew equipment. I remember those days.

I've still got that hatch chile Saison aging in the secondary. Just crossed 24 months.
Represent830
AG
Repose is one of their most underrated beers of all time.
Jock 07
AG
Just domed a 32 oz growler of black butte anniversary
Inspector Spacetime
AG
dixie whiskey said:

the bbh series is about all I'll consider from karbach now, but I'm apparently not near as pumped about cherry as everyone else. it's the variant Ive been least looking forward to as I don't see it as a natural fit for bbh like the others. wasn't real impressed with cherries of fire but assume they've updated what they're doing. I hope. I'll probably get a bottle for the vertical but otherwise i hope they move to coffee bbh quickly

The main differences I'd say are an extra three years of experience with the hellfighter recipe and continuously upgrading the brewhouse/equipment, as well as different cherries from FUN006. This batch us a combo of sweet and tart cherries, and I think both of those qualities show in the new version. First time I had it (from the brite tank) it was rather tart, but after kegging/bottling it balanced out nicely. 12.5% fyi.
jah003
S
Represent830 said:

Remember driving out there to grab some Repose as ice was forming on my car. Think it was pretty me and the JK employees that day...
I'd agree with you... Although I think RU55 might be even more underrated in terms of JK beers. I walked out with 2 cases of RU and will spend far less than some neckbeard will this weekend.
Represent830
AG
jah003 said:

Represent830 said:

Remember driving out there to grab some Repose as ice was forming on my car. Think it was pretty me and the JK employees that day...
I'd agree with you... Although I think RU55 might be even more underrated in terms of JK beers. I walked out with 2 cases of RU and will spend far less than some neckbeard will this weekend.

The last RU55 yes, totally. I have one left.
62strat
AG

Ballast Point.. damn..
dave99ag
AG
Ballast Point and Founders looks to be breweries AB InBEV would target.

Kudos to New Glarus though. Largest one-state distribution brewery?
BSD
AG
dave99ag said:

InBev would have to go thru Constellation Brands to get to Ballast Point!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-11-16/constellation-to-acquire-ballast-point-brewery-for-1-billion
dave99ag
AG
I couldn't remember if they were acquired or not.
La Fours
AG
Ballast Point was bought by Constellation Brands for $1Billion a year or two ago.
La Fours
AG
Well, ****. BSD beat me to it.
dave99ag
AG
For $3B more Constellation could have bought Star Wars. Meh.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Just booked our flights to Minneapolis for $190/person round trip. Leaving Thursday and coming back Sunday.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Just booked our flights to Minneapolis for $190/person round trip. Leaving Thursday and coming back Sunday.
Actually, now I see that I can get direct flights to Milwaukee for about $160/person round trip.

Opinions on one over the other?
Scriffer
AG
Depends on whether you like New Glarus or Surly more
La Fours
AG
Milwaukee is about a 4 hour drive from Decorah, if not more. With it being the middle of January, chances are high that there will be snow/ice. Plus your driving time to and from, I would say it's worth the $30 more to not have to drive as far.
BSD
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

That's our plan as well. Staying in downtown Minneapolis.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
BSD said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

That's our plan as well. Staying in downtown Minneapolis.
Are y'all staying in Decorah on friday, or driving down that morning and driving back afterwards?
BSD
AG
I'm day tripping it down since I'll be sober.
62strat
AG
dave99ag said:

Dang. how soon we forget! The growth is a result of the acquisition.

I don't know how new glarus can do that much only in 1 state.. that's crazy. They are in the company of breweries that are in multiple states.
Scriffer
AG
62strat said:

dave99ag said:

I don't know how new glarus can do that much only in 1 state.. that's crazy. They are in the company of breweries that are in multiple states.

This probably has something to do with it

https://www.milwaukeemag.com/2016/05/17/most-of-americas-drunkest-cities-are-in-wisconsin/
dave99ag
AG
Scriffer said:

Depends on whether you like New Glarus or Surly more

Historic Casanova Liqour is about a 45 minute drive from downtown Minneapolis. They have all the New Glarus you'd need and a lot of other great beer.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
BSD said:

I'm day tripping it down since I'll be sober.
I think we are going to have to do this too. Not many hotel options in Decorah.
jah003
S
62strat said:

dave99ag said:

I used to work at a summer camp in middle of nowhere Wisconsin. Our camp bordered a lake and there was a "town" of maybe 500 people about half a mile away from the camp. That town had 3 bars and each one of them had NG Spotted Cow on draft... So, that's how. Also helped that NG drafts were like $2 all the time.
62strat
AG
jah003 said:

62strat said:

dave99ag said:

I used to work at a summer camp in middle of nowhere Wisconsin. Our camp bordered a lake and there was a "town" of maybe 500 people about half a mile away from the camp. That town had 3 bars and each one of them had NG Spotted Cow on draft... So, that's how. Also helped that NG drafts were like $2 all the time.
Yeh.. spotted cow is akin to COs fat tire. Any dive bar in the state with 2-3 taps has coors, bud, and fat tire.

But NB is in like 40 states, yet only 5 times the production.

~175k barrels is a chit-ton of beer for one state from one brewery. That's a gallon of beer per year per person of Wisconsin, from 1 brewery. Wisconsin has what probably 75 breweries?

Interesting story, the founder of new glarus worked in Ft. Collins for Bud, before his wife (WI native) convinced him to quit, move back to her hometown and open a brewery.
AgEng06
AG
For you guys that have paid attention to the past several JK releases, how long do you anticipate 3K bottles of each SPON should last this weekend? Think it will make it to Sunday?
Bmac04
AG
AgEng06 said:

For you guys that have paid attention to the past several JK releases, how long do you anticipate 3K bottles of each SPON should last this weekend? Think it will make it to Sunday?
No way it makes it to Sunday
AgEng06
AG
Thanks. I appreciate it.
AggieStout
AG
Last SPON release they had plenty left on Sunday but i am not sure the details of that one. If it was 3000 a day or total
AggieStout
AG
BBH cheery has made its way to Austin in a couple of HEBs not sure about total wine yet
Represent830
AG
AggieStout said:

Last SPON release they had plenty left on Sunday but i am not sure the details of that one. If it was 3000 a day or total
Higher limits (6/pp), more hype (fruited SPONs), and less made total (9K).

We are planning on getting out there early since my buddy has to be back early.
DallasAggie2012
AG
If anyone is heading up to JK this weekend and snagging extra Spon variants they want to part with, shoot me a PM if you want to work out a trade. Got plenty of other good stuff to swap for them if you would rather have a different style.
First Page Last Page
Page 1100 of 1786

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.