2016 Aggie Band travel question

23,540 Views | 123 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ABATTBQ87
74OA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Some people just don't know how to take "yes" for an answer.
74OA
AG
Commandant79 said:

I appreciate everyone's input and recommendations. I believe we will have a solution for an Aggie Band presence at away games next season. More to follow, but we are currently looking at options, and I am confident we will have a solution for next season.

Thanks again to all for your love and support of Texas A&M, the Corps of Cadets, and the Fightin' Texas Aggie Band!

Gig 'em! and beat the Hell Outta South Carolina!
Sir, you should be aware that the desire for Band representation at all away games has been the subject of intense debate on many occasions over on the Premium board and your comment above has been copied there and generated widespread anticipation of your final decision. Sure hope you can deliver.
ABATTBQ87
AG
74OA said:

Commandant79 said:

I appreciate everyone's input and recommendations. I believe we will have a solution for an Aggie Band presence at away games next season. More to follow, but we are currently looking at options, and I am confident we will have a solution for next season.

Thanks again to all for your love and support of Texas A&M, the Corps of Cadets, and the Fightin' Texas Aggie Band!

Gig 'em! and beat the Hell Outta South Carolina!
Sir, you should be aware that the desire for Band representation at all away games has been the subject of intense debate on many occasions over on the Premium board and your comment above has been copied there and generated widespread anticipation of your final decision. Sure hope you can deliver.
We've only been in the SEC for 5 years, so you can't expect to rush these decisions
ABATTBQ87
AG
It hasn't been posted here but the Aggie Band is making a trip on December 3rd, and that's to the McAllen's December holiday parade!!

Don't worry about that being the same day as the SEC championship game:

Quote:

Another potential wrinkle could be the Southeastern Conference Championship game, which is on Dec. 3 in Atlanta, the same day as the holiday parade. Texas A&M is currently 2-0, ranked No. 17 in the country and begins SEC play on Saturday against Auburn. Since joining the SEC, Texas A&M has not been to the SEC Championship game.

Rodriguez later said the city asked A&M about this and was assured the band would be coming no matter what.
AFDave13
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

It hasn't been posted here but the Aggie Band is making a trip on December 3rd, and that's to the McAllen's December holiday parade!!

Don't worry about that being the same day as the SEC championship game:
Quote:

Another potential wrinkle could be the Southeastern Conference Championship game, which is on Dec. 3 in Atlanta, the same day as the holiday parade. Texas A&M is currently 2-0, ranked No. 17 in the country and begins SEC play on Saturday against Auburn. Since joining the SEC, Texas A&M has not been to the SEC Championship game.

Rodriguez later said the city asked A&M about this and was assured the band would be coming no matter what.

What the actual F...They can go to McAllen for a parade, but can't go to away games or even the SEC Championship??? Wow.

I could rant...but it's not worth it.
CanyonAg77
AG
AFDave13 said:

What the actual F...They can go to McAllen for a parade, but can't go to away games or even the SEC Championship??? Wow.

380 mile bus ride, maybe one night in a motel, if that. Versus weekend trips on airplanes and multiple night stays. I understand how that happens.
OneGood2011Ag
AG
I'm sure the Commandant will be here shortly to set you straight, but this was already discussed on Facebook and he said that the band will travel to the championship game should we be playing in it, and McAllen knows.

Try finding out the real story first before getting outraged or upset.
ABATTBQ87
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

AFDave13 said:

380 mile bus ride, maybe one night in a motel, if that. Versus weekend trips on airplanes and multiple night stays. I understand how that happens.
The band has to back on Sunday December 4th for the Bryan Christmas parade
CanyonAg77
AG
Or as we called it, the Bryan Street Fight.
Warrior 66
GranMaq has it right: IF Texas A&M plays in the SEC Championship Game on 3 December, the Aggie Band will go to the game. That means they will NOT participate in the McAllen Parade on the 3rd and the Bryan Christmas Parade on the 4th.

IF Texas A&M does NOT play in the SEC Championship Game, then 1/2 the Band will go to McAllen for their Christmas Parade on the night of 3 Dec, and the other half of the Band will stay in CS to participate in the Bryan Christmas Parade on 4 Dec.

Unlike what others may have posted on this thread about what they THINK is happening that weekend, what I have just told you is the TRUTH.

Beat the hell outta Alabama!
AFDave13
AG
Commandant79 said:

GranMaq has it right: IF Texas A&M plays in the SEC Championship Game on 3 December, the Aggie Band will go to the game.

IF Texas A&M does NOT play in the SEC Championship Game, then 1/2 the Band will go to McAllen for their Christmas Parade on the night of 3 Dec, and the other half of the Band will stay in CS to participate in the Bryan Christmas Parade on 4 Dec.

Unlike what others may have posted on this thread about what they THINK is happening that weekend, what I have just told you is the TRUTH.

Beat the hell outta Alabama!
So if 1/2 the band can march in parades, couldn't they also do it at away football games? I know it's a totally different marching orientation, but I feel is a fair question given the exorbitant demand for the band at away games.
Warrior 66
I've already discussed this in previous posts. We are already looking at options for away games next season.
74OA
AG
Frankly, I've come to believe that maybe it's time for the Band to consider giving up on marching at most away games.

There's so few Ags present to appreciate the drill, more and more schools are placing restrictions on the drill and the drill is never shown on TV, so such limited exposure is not worth the expense or the academic impact on cadets--particularly since so many SEC venues are so far away.

Send a rotating ~100-man Band contingent away to play from the stands, for sure, but in general leave the Band drills for Kyle and bowl games (and Jerry-World, of course).

This season, for example, that would still yield 9 full-Band drills at Kyle, Arlington and our bowl game. It's an imperfect compromise but, sadly, maybe its time has come........
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

the drill is never shown on TV, so such limited exposure is not worth the expense or the academic impact on cadets--particularly since so many SEC venues are so far away.
Agree to a certain extent, but the other crowds always love the BQs (other than the students) and the drills are being streamed live on ESPN apps now, so.....
74OA
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

the drill is never shown on TV, so such limited exposure is not worth the expense or the academic impact on cadets--particularly since so many SEC venues are so far away.
Agree to a certain extent, but the other crowds always love the BQs (other than the students) and the drills are being streamed live on ESPN apps now, so.....
Watched by no one but a few Ags, so the additional exposure is still negligible. Believe me, I'd prefer the Band drill at every game, but I've come to believe that the long travel time and increased expense to reach distant SEC away venues has made that unrealistic, particularly when you consider the academic wear and tear on the student cadets in the Band.
Rock1982
AG
Is the entire band going to Bama?
74OA
AG
As always, everyone but the fish is my understanding.
Rock1982
AG
I sure hope the fish are allowed to join this year.
Quad Dog
AG
Had this thought over the weekend, would have been fun to bring up while I was a BQ. So if the band is going to away games to play and not march, does Bugle Rank go?
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

I've come to believe that the long travel time and increased expense to reach distant SEC away venues has made that unrealistic, particularly when you consider the academic wear and tear on the student cadets in the Band.
I'm afraid you may be correct. The fartherest we ever went was Tech, Arky, Liberty Bowl, Sun Bowl. Most games were 90 to 200 miles away.

Lots of pressure for non-game events, too. BQs go to every yell practice and Crapper Grand Opening on campus.
74OA
AG
Most SWC and Big 12 away games were out and backs, not requiring an overnight by the Band. Few SEC venues are anywhere near that close. Plus, as you mention, Band members are tapped to play at dozens of large and small non-sports events each year, on and off campus, also consuming a lot of time that otherwise could be devoted to academics and Corps requirements. It's a tough call for the Commandant and Band Director to decide when to say "no" to those who believe the Band is a bottomless well to draw from........
CanyonAg77
AG
74OA said:

Most SWC and Big 12 away games were out and backs, not requiring an overnight by the Band
In the SWC days, not really. Since they were Corps Trips, that usually meant a Saturday morning parade, so unless you were gung-ho enough to get up at 3am Saturday morning to drive to Dallas, you were probably spending Friday night.

Like Bonfire, Corps Trips are one of the Old Army traditions we really can't do anymore, which is a shame.
ABATTBQ87
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

I've come to believe that the long travel time and increased expense to reach distant SEC away venues has made that unrealistic, particularly when you consider the academic wear and tear on the student cadets in the Band.
I'm afraid you may be correct. The fartherest we ever went was Tech, Arky, Liberty Bowl, Sun Bowl. Most games were 90 to 200 miles away.

Lots of pressure for non-game events, too. BQs go to every yell practice and Crapper Grand Opening on campus.

Any away game was a lost weekend, Lubbock, Arkansas, LSU, SMU, TCU, RICE, HOUSTON, Austin were all 2 day events. The only day trip was to Waco
aggiejim70
AG
Army this thread is reading something like this.......

OP......I have to build an ark, does anyone know anything about that.

Responder......My name is Noah and I've had a great deal of experience in building an ark. I was very influenced by the Guy that asked me to build it. E-mail me a noah@bigflood.com and I'll try to answer your questions.

Then three pages on everyone else opinions on arks and Noah.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
monarch
S
My word....GENTLEMEN!

The last time I remember the band playing in SO-Cal was at Anaheim Stadium vs Stanford when RC was HC; that was maybe 26-27-28 years ago.

So, once we are almost in November and this discussion first came up in July, has any further thought been given to the FTAB going to SO-Cal next September?

Just asking
monarch
S
Commandant79:

If the UCLA game is considered but additional funds are required to move the band to SO-Cal, I'll throw in some coin to help. I'm serious and the Ags in Los Angeles for that game would be thrilled to see the band march in the Rose Bowl.
McInnis80
It would love to see the band at the Rose Bowl in September. I know there will be issues with the a trip so close to FOW, but it would be cool to pull this off. I am also afraid if the FTAB does not make the trip, halftime would be quiet since I doubt the UCLA band will be marching as they game is three weeks prior to be start of classes in Westwood.

Last year UCLA only had a pep band for their week 2 home opening game.

The good news is that most early games game times will be set in June. I am guessing that the game will kickoff at either 1:00 or 5:00 (PDT) on FOX.
Quad Dog
AG
We sent an upperclassmen only band to the 9/2/2000 game in Notre Dame. If I remember correctly they held upperclassman only drill during FOW to be ready.
74OA
AG
Commandant79 said:

Thanks Quito, for your very professional and respectful post. Greatly appreciate your comment and the mature manner in which you presented your disagreement.

There are several factors that go into deciding what games the Aggie Band goes to and what games they don't go to. When I became Commandant, the Aggie Band was marching at 10 of the 12 games the team played each year. We have pretty much maintained that same record in the almost 6 years that I have been here.

As I have already stated, a new factor that has arisen since we joined the SEC was that many SEC schools now do NOT allow visiting bands to march at halftime. Given who the Aggie Band is, and what they are known for at halftime, we have basically said that if we can't march at halftime, then we won't waste the cadets' time by making them travel to an away game only to sit in the stands without the opportunity to march at halftime.

In addition, we also have to keep in mind that our cadets in the Aggie Band need the opportunity to have some time off for academics, just like the other cadets in the Corps. I'm not saying that away games are the only opportunity, but it does provide some time for the Band cadets to take some time off, just like the other cadets do.

I know there are those that disagree with this policy, and want the Aggie Band to travel to every away game, even if they can't march at halftime. I respect the fact that they don't agree, and fully understand why they want the Band at every game. As a former BQ, I completely understand, believe me!

While I won't promise anything for next season, I WILL say that I really like your idea, and will discuss it with the leadership of the Aggie Band at the end of this season. We will look at all options for the Aggie Band next year, including maintaining the current policy, but I must admit, I do like your idea and appreciate you sharing it with me. I can promise you that we WILL look hard at what you recommended in your post for next season. I will let you know what we decide for next season once we have had the chance to sit down and discuss at the end of this season.

Thanks again for your post, Quito. I appreciate your candor, your professionalism, and your willingness to discuss with me. I can assure you that I will look at what you presented for the Aggie Band next season.

Thanks for your support of our Corps! Gig 'em! And Beat the Hell Outta Arkansas!

Update?
HollywoodBQ
AG
McInnis80 said:

It would love to see the band at the Rose Bowl in September. I know there will be issues with the a trip so close to FOW, but it would be cool to pull this off. I am also afraid if the FTAB does not make the trip, halftime would be quiet since I doubt the UCLA band will be marching as they game is three weeks prior to be start of classes in Westwood.

Last year UCLA only had a pep band for their week 2 home opening game.

The good news is that most early games will game times will be set in June. I am guessing that the game will kickoff at either 1:00 or 5:00 (PDT) on FOX.
I checked with my friend who works with the UCLA Band and you are correct about the pep band. He said they will only have a pep band for the Texas A&M game. He also told me that it's pretty easy to get tickets to the game because their football team is terrible right now.
74OA
AG
It'd be nice to get an update from the Commandant on his commitment to examine alternatives to ensure some sort of a Band presence at all away games........
Warrior 66
Relax. I'll provide an update when we have all the information to make a firm decision. We aren't there yet. We usually don't make Aggie Band travel decisions until late Spring anyway.

I told you I'd consider all options and I will. But we are not yet at a point where we can make a decision yet. When we are, I will update as promised.
74OA
AG
Thanks!
Warrior 66
Here is what we have currently planned for Aggie Band travel next season:

1. As always, the Aggie Band will perform at all home games (7 home games next season)

2. The Aggie Band - upperclassmen only - WILL travel to the UCLA game and perform at halftime. Details still to be worked out, but the Aggie Band WILL be at the A&M - UCLA game in LA on 2 September 2017.

3. The Aggie Band will also travel to Arlington for the A&M - Arkansas game on 23 September, and to Baton Rouge for the A&M - LSU game on 25 November. The Aggie Band will perform at halftime of both of those games.

4. We will bus 100 members of the Aggie Band (most likely white belts) to Oxford, Mississippi for the A&M - Ole Miss game on 18 November. This will be a "Travel Band" (NOT a "pep band") that will perform in the stands but will not march at halftime. We will also send ODs for that game, and possibly Reveille as well.

The only game in question at this time is the Florida game on 14 October in Gainesville. That would be a "fly-away" game for a 100 piece travel band, and we are still looking at feasibility. Once I know for certain whether we can make that game or not, I will provide an update.

We are going to look at each season individually from now on, and will see whats doable and whats not wrt sending the Aggie Band - either as a whole or as a 100 piece travel band - to games before each season. As I have mentioned before, there are a LOT of factors to be considered before deciding which games the Aggie Band will attend, but we will look at each season individually and do our best to send the Band to as many games as possible each season.

I will provide an update once we know more about the Florida game, but for now, the Aggie Band will be at EVERY game next season EXCEPT Florida.
74OA
AG
Excellent!! Thanks for the feedback.

Need to broadcast this good news via the 12th Man Foundation, Corps Association and Former Students Association........

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.