2016 Aggie Band travel question

23,391 Views | 123 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ABATTBQ87
Olsen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thank you for the update Commandant!
barney94
AG
Thanks, General Ramirez. That's good news. It's obvious a lot of thought has gone into this.
AFDave13
AG
THAT is awesome! Thank you!

Now where can I donate to the travel fund?
Hey Nav
AG
https://www.12thmanfoundation.com/join/Donate-Now.aspx
The Kraken
AG
Couldn't the travel band fly on the same charter jet as the football team? Seems the cost to get a larger capacity airliner would be cheaper than flying separately.
agz win
AG
Thank you for coming up with a reasonable solution. The players and fans will be thrilled to have the FTAB at away games. I will be increasing my donation to the travel fund, as a result, and hope that you can promote these changes to the public as soon as possible so that more will also be able to contribute to the fund.

Thanks and Gig'em.
CanyonAg77
AG
New World Ag said:

Couldn't the travel band fly on the same charter jet as the football team? Seems the cost to get a larger capacity airliner would be cheaper than flying separately.

How big a plane do you think can land at Easterwood?

In addition, doesn't the football team leave on Thursday?
adamsbq06
AG
Almost every type of aircraft built within the past 75 years has touched down and taken off at Easterwood, including an Airbus, a Boeing 757 and a Boeing 777. Military aircraft include Air Force One, F-16s, F-18s, C-130s, C-141s and C-17s
HollywoodBQ
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

New World Ag said:

How big a plane do you think can land at Easterwood?

In addition, doesn't the football team leave on Thursday?
Somebody on another thread posted something about a time when the British PM came to College Station and they landed a BA 777 at Easterwood.

So, yeah, you could get a 300 seat plane in and out of there (barely probably).

But... the concept of having the Band travel with the Football team. Did y'all not go to High School in Texas? It's kind of like how the Dance Team always got their own bus and the Flag girls had to ride with the rest of the band. You don't think for 5 seconds that the Football team is going to ride with the Band. In HS, the football team always got chartered buses and the Band got Yellow Dogs. I would expect no different in college.

Plus as Canyon points out, they would have different arrival/departure requirements.

I made two chartered plane trips during my time in the FTAB. New World Ag and I took two 727s up to New Jersey in August 1988 for the Kickoff Classic. And then I believe it was two 737s we took from Easterwood to San Diego for the Holiday Bowl in 1990.

The NJ trip was at the end of FOW so I don't remember who else might have been on the flight. But, the Holiday Bowl trip had a bunch of hangers on - military advisors, Yell Leaders, the Dog, etc.

Now if there were a way to charter an Emirates A380 and land it in College Station, maybe the Football team would allow the Band on their plane
HtownAg19
AG
The team takes a 737 and the band takes two- both leave on Friday. They also both operate under separate budgets i believe so even if the team wanted to share a plane it's probably easier logistically to each do their own thing
McInnis80
I would bet it would be a 737 or similar planes for both the team and the band. I would bet the the team would probably fly into and out of Burbank, which is close to Pasadena. That runway there makes Easterwood look like LAX. Of course being in La La land, there could be curfew issues at Burbank.
ABATTBQ87
AG
https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/699/212/Sunset-Limited-Schedule-110616.pdf
CanyonAg77
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

In my day, in the Band Room basement, was the sign from the end of the train the BQs used in 1955. Said "Aggie Band Special". Supposedly they marched at Disneyland while there.
ABATTBQ87
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

In my day, in the Band Room basement, was the sign from the end of the train the BQs used in 1955. Said "Aggie Band Special". Supposedly they marched at Disneyland while there.
From the 1956 AGGIELAND:

McInnis80
For the Railroad nerds out there (both of you), I have a question. Could the FTAB charter a train from CS to Pasadena? I sure they could sell other cars to Ags.

I remember a few years ago UConn chartered a train from Hartford to Penn Station/MSG for the NCAA tournament Eastern Regionals. I'm sure the ride back on the Husky Express was a blast. Amtrak probably made enough on liquor sales to pay for several trains.
Rabid Cougar
AG
McInnis80 said:

For the Railroad nerds out there (both of you), I have a question. Could the FTAB charter a train from CS to Pasadena? I sure they could sell other cars to Ags.

I remember a few years ago UConn chartered a train from Hartford to Penn Station/MSG for the NCAA tournament Eastern Regionals. I'm sure the ride back on the Husky Express was a blast. Amtrak probably made enough on liquor sales to pay for several trains.

Houston to Los Angeles via the Sunset Limited. One and half days. Same as a bus.
Superliner Coach capacity is 76 passengers.
CanyonAg77
AG
McInnis80 said:

I think the problem would be that we don't have passenger rail lines in the southwest. We have freight lines with occasional passenger trains. Freight would have priority, and as said above, it would take way too long because of that.
74OA
AG
More interestingly, could the Band take a train from Houston to Gainsville? Since the Florida game is the only one up in the air, any solution cheaper than flying, but less painful than such a long bus ride, might make all the difference in having the Band there or not........
ABATTBQ87
AG
Amtrak Sunset Limited
ABATTBQ87
AG
74OA said:

More interestingly, could the Band take a train from Houston to Gainsville? Since the Florida game is the only one up in the air, any solution cheaper than flying, but less painful than such a long bus ride, might make all the difference in having the Band there or not........
not according to Amtrak destinations:

https://www.amtrak.com/find-train-bus-stations-train-routes

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.