2016 Aggie Band travel question

23,546 Views | 123 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ABATTBQ87
Quito
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm glad you liked the idea and am confident you have best intentions in mind...for the 12th Man and the team!

I recall LSU not allowing the band to perform, but has since reneged? I know Auburn and Bana won't mind...my Auburn buddies were disappointed they weren't there.

I really think you are doing a fine job with the Corps. I have a 4 year old and twin 3 year olds that will hopefully wear the uniform one day!
74OA
AG
Whichever option is chosen will work, but for the love of God, please don't call it a "pep" band, I beg you. It's still the FTAB no matter the composition or size of its representation.....
Warrior 66
I can PROMISE you, as a former member of the Aggie Band, that IF we send members of the Band to play at away games, that they will NEVER be called a "pep band."
Quad Dog
AG
quote:
Maybe any white belt over a 3.0, or any white belt on track to graduate in 4 years? Talk about a motivator to make good grades!
You'll probably want to lower your standards. I think in 2004 we had two guys graduate in 4 years. White belts over 3.0 is also probably a lower number than you think. It's also not that simple because you have to have a good mixture of instruments.
Quito
AG
quote:
quote:
Maybe any white belt over a 3.0, or any white belt on track to graduate in 4 years? Talk about a motivator to make good grades!
You'll probably want to lower your standards. I think in 2004 we had two guys graduate in 4 years. White belts over 3.0 is also probably a lower number than you think. It's also not that simple because you have to have a good mixture of instruments.
Maybe this will entice them? I'm not sure of the statsif it needs to be a 2.85 or even 2.5, so be it. That's rediculous to only have 2 folks graduate in four yearsanother debate, but crazy to think so few could manage what was considered a normal course load not to long ago.

You only NEED brass and bongosif there are woodwinds, fine, but not really not a necessity.
74OA
AG
Corps academics are night and day better than 2004.....
Quad Dog
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Maybe this will entice them? I'm not sure of the statsif it needs to be a 2.85 or even 2.5, so be it. That's rediculous to only have 2 folks graduate in four yearsanother debate, but crazy to think so few could manage what was considered a normal course load not to long ago.

You only NEED brass and bongosif there are woodwinds, fine, but not really not a necessity.
Want us to graduate in 4 years? Then don't force us to take an hour of KINE, ROTC classes as blackbelt, and leadership classes as a DNC Whitebelt. I have my transcript handy. Of my 155 total hours, 23 are Band KINE or MLSC. I'm not complaining, when you join the Corps or Band you make the choice to sacrifice graduating in 4 years, or having a low number of hours.

Of course everything I said only applies to 2004 requirements, no idea what has changed.

Also, wow, my GPA took a dive every fall, and jumped every spring. Never realized that before.
Quito
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Want us to graduate in 4 years? Then don't force us to take an hour of KINE, ROTC classes as blackbelt, and leadership classes as a DNC Whitebelt. I have my transcript handy. Of my 155 total hours, 23 are Band KINE or MLSC. I'm not complaining, when you join the Corps or Band you make the choice to sacrifice graduating in 4 years, or having a low number of hours.

Of course everything I said only applies to 2004 requirements, no idea what has changed.

Also, wow, my GPA took a dive every fall, and jumped every spring. Never realized that before.
My brother '93 and I '99, both graduated in 4 years. I took summer classes at JUCO's and at A&M...it really wasn't that hard...we were also contract and went into the USAF. As my Dad taught us, "You have time to do what you want to do."
musicman55
AG
If.... IF.... a change in the current policy is even contemplated then I think Quito's suggestion is a good one, at the very least as a place to start the discussion. Like many former members of the FTAB (and a frequent attender of out-of-town games), I am conflicted on this issue for a number of reasons. I have every confidence that THIS Commandant has and will continue to represent the Corps and the FTAB's best interests while also remembering that we're all Ags and want what's best for the team and the school.

One thing I'm in 1000% agreement with the Commandant on is the name of any "traveling" FTAB that might be formed.... not so much what the name will be, but what it will NOT be. I strongly suspect that whoever pushes a "pep band" name for the FTAB group will find him/herself on the business end of the revival of the grand old tradition of quadding.
Swing Your Saber
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Wow, things have changed. You would need to take about twenty hours a semester to graduate on time. A tall order for any major, but especially engineers.

I graduated in four years, but I think I only had about 120 hours. Maybe a few more or less, I do not really recall. That was as a four year Army contract who could not take many summer classes because of Army schools, and camp. I have not looked at my grades in years, but bonfire had the same impact, weak in the fall, strong in the spring.

Also, I 100% support Fighting Texas Aggie band representation at every game y'all can get to.
Quito
AG
Are there really majors that require 150+ hours to graduate?

I would view band and D&C classes as easy A's to help boost GPA?
WBBQ74
AG
I support the concept of a ~100 person SEC away game Aggie Band contingent in the stands. Just to be there. 24 hour trip, fly in - fly out, bus to the game and back. No overnight. Tough enough. I also like the Streetfighter's willingness to LISTEN to the folks out there in donorland who write those checks. It doesn't have to be a money thing.

Turning down the mission means eventually someone else will take it up. The Aggie Band needs a presence at every football game. Even if it is there just to play the Spirit and the War Hymn. And a few Wildcats.

Keep those cards and letters coming, folks.
monarch
S
UCLA needs to be on the list of places the band goes to in 2017.
monarch
S
I'm sure it is very expensive to get the band to even the Arkansas game. On the other hand, getting them to SO-Cal should be a paramount consideration. It would be a hell of a deal to see them at the Rose Bowl and maybe, maybe (if time permitted) they could march down Main Street in Disneyland.

I would bet we could solicit donations to get the band out there on this site and it would work. I'm up to a contribution.
Quito
AG
quote:
I'm sure it is very expensive to get the band to even the Arkansas game. On the other hand, getting them to SO-Cal should be a paramount consideration. It would be a hell of a deal to see them at the Rose Bowl and maybe, maybe (if time permitted) they could march down Main Street in Disneyland.

I would bet we could solicit donations to get the band out there on this site and it would work. I'm up to a contribution.

In '98 alone we (FTAB) traveled to NYC (Florida State), Hattisburg MS, Lawrence KS, Waca, Stillwater OK, Austin, St Louis (B12 Championship) and New Orleans (Sugar Bowl).
SupernovaAg
AG
General,

I was in the Aggie Band when we went to Alabama in 2012(?). For that trip I remember it was mostly a white belt trip. I don't remember if only the fish that stayed home or if it was fish and sophomores. Has there been debate/discussion about these opportunities and doing this sort of trip again?

I realize the biggest decision if we go or not is if we can march. I also remember you saying your goal was to get the band to every SEC stadium at least once. With the new policies some schools have is this still your goal? I don't think A&M should send a pep band. It isn't what we are. The Hullabaloo band is nothing like the Aggie Band other than the music they play and even if you could find enough members of the Aggie Band to volunteer for a pep band for football games it just wouldn't be the same. Quite frankly I don't think the fans or football team at away games care if just a pep band is there or not. Tell them the Aggie Band is coming and thats a whole different story.

Thinking about all the home games at A&M when another team brings their pep band it feels like a waste. When they bring their actual band it is pretty nice for them.
Quito
AG
quote:
General,

I was in the Aggie Band when we went to Alabama in 2012(?). For that trip I remember it was mostly a white belt trip. I don't remember if only the fish that stayed home or if it was fish and sophomores. Has there been debate/discussion about these opportunities and doing this sort of trip again?

I realize the biggest decision if we go or not is if we can march. I also remember you saying your goal was to get the band to every SEC stadium at least once. With the new policies some schools have is this still your goal? I don't think A&M should send a pep band. It isn't what we are. The Hullabaloo band is nothing like the Aggie Band other than the music they play and even if you could find enough members of the Aggie Band to volunteer for a pep band for football games it just wouldn't be the same. Quite frankly I don't think the fans or football team at away games care if just a pep band is there or not. Tell them the Aggie Band is coming and thats a whole different story.

Thinking about all the home games at A&M when another team brings their pep band it feels like a waste. When they bring their actual band it is pretty nice for them.

If you've ever been to an away game without the band, you would know how wrong you are. Not hearing our music during the game is vastly different. Do you watch games on tv? Do you not notice they put microphones by the opposing teams fans so that the music is picked up on the broadcast.

The band is part of the 12th Man. The 12th Man is there to support the team.
SupernovaAg
AG
I've been to numerous away games without the band. And quite frankly this isn't the sentiment that I had or people around me. I've also taken classes with several football players and being in the band I asked them about this sort of thing before and not surprisingly most of the players say they don't really care.
Quito
AG
quote:
I've been to numerous away games without the band. And quite frankly this isn't the sentiment that I had or people around me. I've also taken classes with several football players and being in the band I asked them about this sort of thing before and not surprisingly most of the players say they don't really care.

Me, almost all of texags, and everybody I've ever talked to will agree to disagree.
SupernovaAg
AG
Well then that shows how different our group of friends and social networks are. Also Texags isn't that large portion of the fanbase believe it or not. I wouldn't generalize the sentiment here as what the community wants.
Quito
AG
quote:
Well then that shows how different our group of friends and social networks are. Also Texags isn't that large portion of the fanbase believe it or not. I wouldn't generalize the sentiment here as what the community wants.

Then why would President Gates have a secret account? Why would the Commendant post so much? Why does Jason Cook come on texags radio and post so much?

SupernovaAg
AG
Because they are interested in what a portion of the community thinks. They don't use it as their only source to reach out to the community nor their main resource.
OneGood2011Ag
AG
If our objective as the 12th Man is to give our athletic teams the best competitive advantage possible, and if we all agree that the Aggie War Hymn, Spirit of Aggieland, and possibly other Aggie-themed songs are part of providing a competitive advantage, and if we can also agree that, out of 65,000 students there are many redass, talented musicians both inside and outside of the FTAB, then for discussion's sake:

IF a new student organization were to be created called "Travel Band," and;
IF if membership was open to any A&M student, even members of FTAB, and;
IF they could secure a faculty advisor with a degree in music, and;
IF they could supply their own instruments and uniforms (eg. sharp maroon polos and slacks), and;
IF they could competently learn to play the War Hymn, Spirit, and Wildcat to the advisor's satisfaction, and;
IF the FTAB was given first right of refusal to play at every single football game they want to, and;
IF the Travel Band enacted rules of conduct to represent A&M adequately on the road, and;
IF they could fundraise to cover the costs of travel to 1-2 games that FTAB will not attend;

THEN, could we be supportive of such a thing? I know that is a lot of IFs, but I wanted to be sure to cover all of the bases to show that this would be a professional group.

IF FTAB does not feel that non-marching away games fall into their mission, and;
IF Hullabaloo does not feel that non-basketball/volleyball games fall into their mission, and;
IF there are other talented student musicians who want to support the team by putting their time, talent, and treasure into such a thing;

THEN why not do all we can, as an entire university to have the War Hymn played on the road?

I don't see this as competing with FTAB or Hullabaloo - we have a large enough student body that there are plenty of opportunities for all groups and this is not a marching band so it can't do the things FTAB does. I also don't see it as diluting our University or Corps brand, as people would know this is not the FTAB or a part of it. I don't think anyone believes that the Maroon Militia at Aggie Soccer is the drumline from FTAB. I will admit that it could compete for limited fundraising dollars, as a donor may have to pick between writing a check to Travel Band or FTAB Travel Fund. I don't know the answer to that one.

There are many demands on the FTAB in terms of time, something we can't make more of. They have their existing band obligations, schoolwork, other student activities, etc. to deal with. We can't make more time in their day. What we do have plenty of is other students who are musically as gifted, again both inside and outside of the Corps (or even inside the band) who may want to devote some of their time to this effort.

Not trying to stir the pot and hoping to have respectful discussion... But if we look at support of our team as our primary mission and goal as the 12th Man, why not consider other options to make that support possible?
Quito
AG
Everything you say is possible, but with only current Aggie Bandsmen. They would have absolutely ZERO problem getting volunteers to participate.
WBBQ74
AG
THIS is the nose of the camel under the tent. You turn down missions, someone/something else will step up to accept them. Bad bull.
OneGood2011Ag
AG
quote:
Everything you say is possible, but with only current Aggie Bandsmen. They would have absolutely ZERO problem getting volunteers to participate.
Devil's advocate response: why only current Aggie Bandsmen? If it is arguably not the FTAB and has no relation to the FTAB, then why would FTAB membership be a necessary precursor to participation?

Obviously, they would know how to play the songs, but they would also have the extreme time commitment that FTAB practice, events, and the Corps of Cadets in general requires. I think most in the FTAB would want to voluntarily sign up for a Travel Band, but it may not be the wisest thing in terms of maintaining a high GPA.

Membership in a Travel Band open to any current TAMU student who can pass an audition could be a recruiting tactic for high-achieving high school students who are not interested in the Corps of Cadets for whatever reason, yet enjoy band as an extracurricular. As someone who has worked with a large number of prospective students, I've seen some good ones pass on us even if you tell them about the University Orchestra and Hullabaloo. Telling them they could try out to play a couple of away football games plus be in Hullabaloo or some other group might be enough to get them to come enroll.

While we are well-represented by the FTAB, and that is what is traditional, tradition does not preclude us from defining new ways of supporting our team. What is not within our core values of Excellence and Loyalty is doing without a band at away games to show off our pride as Aggies and support our team (and that is NOT a commentary on the FTAB not traveling to every game; I understand and support that decision completely).

I'm saying that we should find the best, with the most time to give, and the best ability to help run fundraisers throughout the year to support travel, out of the 65,000, not limit our scope to 363. This would seem to be good for all Aggies: former students attending the game, current students who can use their musical talents to support the team, and Aggie Bandsmen who are not pressured to attend yet another practice, an additional couple weekends of travel, and time spend in fundraising.

It also gives us another musical group on campus who can play the Aggie War Hymn and Spirit of Aggieland at "smaller events" on campus. I'm sure the FTAB can't be at the kickoff of every event or function, but this Travel Band could fill in. Obviously, FTAB would play at on-Campus Muster, but Travel Band could do the graduation ceremony for the School of Law or an A&M Foundation fundraising event when bringing the whole FTAB out wouldn't be reasonable.
OneGood2011Ag
AG
quote:
THIS is the nose of the camel under the tent. You turn down missions, someone/something else will step up to accept them. Bad bull.
That's not a bad thing. We are the Aggies, the Aggies are we. There are 65,000 current students and 415,000 living former students - there's no reason we have to rely on 363 of us to do everything.

Also, I've seen some basketball schools use an alumni band over the winter break. That's another idea. Could we have former students who are willing to cover their own travel and buy an Ol' Army Band polo play at away games?

At the end of the day, does it matter who it is playing the Aggie War Hymn, as long as they are Aggies and the War Hymn is being played?
Quito
AG
quote:
quote:
Devil's advocate response: why only current Aggie Bandsmen? If it is arguably not the FTAB and has no relation to the FTAB, then why would FTAB membership be a necessary precursor to participation?

Obviously, they would know how to play the songs, but they would also have the extreme time commitment that FTAB practice, events, and the Corps of Cadets in general requires. I think most in the FTAB would want to voluntarily sign up for a Travel Band, but it may not be the wisest thing in terms of maintaining a high GPA.

Membership in a Travel Band open to any current TAMU student who can pass an audition could be a recruiting tactic for high-achieving high school students who are not interested in the Corps of Cadets for whatever reason, yet enjoy band as an extracurricular. As someone who has worked with a large number of prospective students, I've seen some good ones pass on us even if you tell them about the University Orchestra and Hullabaloo. Telling them they could try out to play a couple of away football games plus be in Hullabaloo or some other group might be enough to get them to come enroll.

While we are well-represented by the FTAB, and that is what is traditional, tradition does not preclude us from defining new ways of supporting our team. What is not within our core values of Excellence and Loyalty is doing without a band at away games to show off our pride as Aggies and support our team (and that is NOT a commentary on the FTAB not traveling to every game; I understand and support that decision completely).

I'm saying that we should find the best, with the most time to give, and the best ability to help run fundraisers throughout the year to support travel, out of the 65,000, not limit our scope to 363. This would seem to be good for all Aggies: former students attending the game, current students who can use their musical talents to support the team, and Aggie Bandsmen who are not pressured to attend yet another practice, an additional couple weekends of travel, and time spend in fundraising.

It also gives us another musical group on campus who can play the Aggie War Hymn and Spirit of Aggieland at "smaller events" on campus. I'm sure the FTAB can't be at the kickoff of every event or function, but this Travel Band could fill in. Obviously, FTAB would play at on-Campus Muster, but Travel Band could do the graduation ceremony for the School of Law or an A&M Foundation fundraising event when bringing the whole FTAB out wouldn't be reasonable.

It's not the FTAB that doesn't want to attend. They overwhelmingly want to and always have. They put in a ton of work and LOVE doing it...it's their "mission" within the Corps/12th Man/University. The FTAB ability and desire to do this is not the question. Absolutely no reason to give this duty/privilege to anybody but the FTAB.
Trinity Ag
S
quote:
Thanks Quito, for your very professional and respectful post. Greatly appreciate your comment and the mature manner in which you presented your disagreement.

There are several factors that go into deciding what games the Aggie Band goes to and what games they don't go to. When I became Commandant, the Aggie Band was marching at 10 of the 12 games the team played each year. We have pretty much maintained that same record in the almost 6 years that I have been here.

As I have already stated, a new factor that has arisen since we joined the SEC was that many SEC schools now do NOT allow visiting bands to march at halftime. Given who the Aggie Band is, and what they are known for at halftime, we have basically said that if we can't march at halftime, then we won't waste the cadets' time by making them travel to an away game only to sit in the stands without the opportunity to march at halftime.

In addition, we also have to keep in mind that our cadets in the Aggie Band need the opportunity to have some time off for academics, just like the other cadets in the Corps. I'm not saying that away games are the only opportunity, but it does provide some time for the Band cadets to take some time off, just like the other cadets do.

I know there are those that disagree with this policy, and want the Aggie Band to travel to every away game, even if they can't march at halftime. I respect the fact that they don't agree, and fully understand why they want the Band at every game. As a former BQ, I completely understand, believe me!

While I won't promise anything for next season, I WILL say that I really like your idea, and will discuss it with the leadership of the Aggie Band at the end of this season. We will look at all options for the Aggie Band next year, including maintaining the current policy, but I must admit, I do like your idea and appreciate you sharing it with me. I can promise you that we WILL look hard at what you recommended in your post for next season. I will let you know what we decide for next season once we have had the chance to sit down and discuss at the end of this season.

Thanks again for your post, Quito. I appreciate your candor, your professionalism, and your willingness to discuss with me. I can assure you that I will look at what you presented for the Aggie Band next season.

Thanks for your support of our Corps! Gig 'em! And Beat the Hell Outta Arkansas!

Rabid Cougar
AG
Quito said:

Quote:

General,

If you've ever been to an away game without the band, you would know how wrong you are. Not hearing our music during the game is vastly different. Do you watch games on tv? Do you not notice they put microphones by the opposing teams fans so that the music is picked up on the broadcast.

The band is part of the 12th Man. The 12th Man is there to support the team.
They put microphones in front of our band too. There were six of them in front of the band at Jerry World last Saturday.
Warrior 66
I appreciate everyone's input and recommendations. I believe we will have a solution for an Aggie Band presence at away games next season. More to follow, but we are currently looking at options, and I am confident we will have a solution for next season.

Thanks again to all for your love and support of Texas A&M, the Corps of Cadets, and the Fightin' Texas Aggie Band!

Gig 'em! and beat the Hell Outta South Carolina!
Aggie1
AG
I have always admired the FTAB for the amount of work involved and learning the routines and formations. They arrive early before the semester starts so they be prepared for the first games performance.
The logistics of 400 people (bandsmen + staff + support) is a very large continent to plan and fund..
The Corps and its rekindled energy is a wonderful sight to see.

With the advent of Title IX and the number of athletic contests where bandsmen were wanted/needed there is no question why the "Hullabaloo Band" was formed.
However, for football games, the entire band has been and always will be the greatest feature of game day second only to the game itself.

Our opponents are well aware of the influence the FTAB can have on support of the Aggies during the game - both the players and the fans. Opponents typically love to see something different in a halftime performance and really enjoy the band from countless kudos - especially with our new friends in the SEC - they want to see the band from all I've seen. Yes, there are some who might try to keep the FTAB from coming but I surmise they are far outvoted by those who love to see the FTAB march.

It is my understanding that the overall number of tickets available to the "visiting team" is in the 3,000-4000 seats range. If the band takes up 1/10th of those tickets available for sale not only does our own athletic department has some concern to fulfill season ticket holders requirements, but to get full face value for the tickets sold. I surmise (but do not know) that the FTAB may get a discount (student ticket rate) since they are really part and parcel of the University itself and not full price former student (?) season ticket holders.
Then, regardless of ticket price - and availability - there is the issue of cost to send the FTAB and the logistics involved - PLUS, the time away from classes.

From a FTAB point of view it would appear to me that "joining the band" - regardless of class rank - fish too - signed up to perform and not be relegated to second class by the seniority system.
I agree 100% with the Commandant on making every effort to ensure the entire band attends all games whenever possible - and see a "white belt contingent" (or whatever) as not only a watering down of the band, but a camels-nose-in-the-door to allow other splinter groups wanting to form in the future; therefore, to maintain the entire band for as long as possible is keeping the FTAB reputation and spirit alive.
For those who want a smaller contingent at away games let me say this - it seems to me that IF a smaller continent were to occur, it does not give the same impact or impression of what the FTAB really is and represents. To water down the band only makes us in many ways "like all the others" who have decided to sent a smaller contingent - which is NOT the "Aggie Way" of doing thing.

If it is a matter of $$ funding, I'm sure the funds can be raised with the proper appeals... Every other idea re A&M seems to get traction and funding with support... What better way to support the best of traditions of A&M than to support the biggest ambassador show piece than the Corps and the FTAB???

And, for what it's worth - the Corps Block with the FTAB centered is a magnificent showpiece for A&M in general - which makes it unique and special and different from "everyone else". A&M is different and needs to retain as much of its past traditions as possible.

P.S. As to the idea of letting former bandsmen participate? What kind of crazy idea is that - let alone the liability issues that would be raised? How on earth would they know the formations, etc.?? It is already established that if the band doesn't march, it will not be going to away games.
P.S.S. Same goes for allowing non-regs in the FTAB. Again, it is a MILITARY marching band - and the best in the land - not only military, but tops in the USA Today poll of ALL college bands. Why would we want to mess that up??

The only other recourse I have seen discussed is maybe marching before an away game as a gimmick to entice people to come early. While a "march-in" and performance would be nice at an away game: without the traditional half-time performance, I am probably on the nix of this idea as well if it is the only option presented by our opponents.

The Fightin' Texas Aggie Military Marching Band is a hair-on-the-neck raising issue for me - and every person I know - ...and a tear often escapes my eye while watching them march - partly because I was in a band in HS but had to work while at A&M and thus wasn't able to participate. The members of the band have no choice but to forego many other activities simply because the band requires so much time and energy. The leadership skills learned have proven to be an outstanding primer for either industry or military upon graduation. Every person I know who was in the FTAB has been successful in their career(s).
Not sure nowadays, but during my tenure, the band had no "music majors" and was made up of cadets who simply wanted to be in the band regardless of the rigors involved; and, only got PE credit for being in the band. Point being that at most universities, their band is made up of music majors who get much more credit toward graduation. And further, yes, for what it's worth, I was on the Det 805 staff from 1971-1973, so even though I wasn't in the band as a cadet, I do have some insight from the Commandant's office as well.
AAAAAAAAAAg - Air Force Aggie Architect and Hospital Administrator fm Amarillo, Altus, Austin, Arabia, Arkansas, Africa, Seoul, Bahrain, Amman, Kuwait, Iraq, Iran, Saudi, DFW-Fairview, Ramstein, San Antonio, Pentagon, OKC, JCAHO/JCR - '65, '69, '73 - A&M Letterman (ret).
Winston Churchill: “If you’re not a socialist in your twenties, you have no heart. But if you’re not a capitalist in your thirties, you have no mind.”
74OA
AG
What does the LT in your handle signify?

Aggie1
AG
Letterman
Dallas Aggie
AG
The Aggie Band needs to care LESS about "showcasing" itself to other fans and care MORE about supporting the 12th Man and Texas A&M's athletic programs.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.