Quad Renovation

29,927 Views | 194 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 2004FIGHTINTXAG
bigplay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ok, whatever. Our project manager from the Office of the Commandant has used the term "Cathedral Oak" when briefing the Commandant and Staff. I don't have any idea how they would differ from a Southern Oak but that's the term he has used on several occasions. Either way they are really big and look great.
Fitch
AG
'Cathedral' is just a specific cultivar of the live oak. It's been bred for consistent shape / density and won't sprawl out horizontally as much as a standard live oak (think the low drooping branches of the Century Tree - pretty in old age but less than ideal for next to walkways).

The "125% caliper from pre-construction" means that the cumulative trunk diameter of trees going back into the renovated area is 25% greater than the pre-construction total -- i.e. there will be many more trees than previously.

74OA
AG
The cathedral oak seems like a perfect fit for the Quad: NICE!
ABATTBQ87
AG
quote:

Looking forward to seeing the images of the Memorial Day wreath laying ceremony
armymom
I don't think a wreath laying is done on Memorial Day since school is out. I know for sure it is done on Veteran's Day.
ABATTBQ87
AG
quote:
I don't think a wreath laying is done on Memorial Day since school is out. I know for sure it is done on Veteran's Day.
from another thread by the commandant:

quote:
I am currently in the process of trying to move those Memorials, but its a long, laborious process, and I have no idea when we'll be able to make this happen. But that IS the intent, for all the right reasons. Veterans Day and Memorial Day will take on special significance on the Quad with all the Memorials located on the Plaza.
CanyonAg77
AG
Even if classes are dismissed, there are always a few cadets in town,.or a few dead zips they could round up for a small ceremony
Ag Jock 86
Howdy Ags,

The Commandant asked me to share some recent photos of the Quad renovation: Quad Renovation Photos - 31 May 2016.

Gig 'em,
Will Schrank '86
Asst Cmdt-Logistics
74OA
AG
Many thanks, Will. Keep 'em coming as things progress, please......
Fitch
AG
From Saturday (Jun-11)

74OA
AG
What a mess!
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
What a mess!
Tearing up the Quad and having a mess is an Aggie tradition. If you were hanging around as a dead zip, you might recall that in 1974-1975, the Powers That Be decided Grass=Bad, Shubbery=Good. So we had a big landscaping project. Many times we fell out for chow on "pontoon" sidewalks of plywood. This was a special joy those times that hurricanes from the gulf met cold fronts from the Panhandle and rained on College Station for a week at a time.
74OA
AG
quote:
quote:
What a mess!
Tearing up the Quad and having a mess is an Aggie tradition. If you were hanging around as a dead zip, you might recall that in 1974-1975, the Powers That Be decided Grass=Bad, Shubbery=Good. So we had a big landscaping project. Many times we fell out for chow on "pontoon" sidewalks of plywood. This was a special joy those times that hurricanes from the gulf met cold fronts from the Panhandle and rained on College Station for a week at a time.
Nope. I was already gone beginning yet again at the bottom of the pile as a 2LT.....
OldArmy71
AG
It's getting there. The trees help.
DevilD77
AG
quote:
quote:
What a mess!
Not mention negotiating getting into the Quad when they were installing the entrance plaza after a hard night of drinking at Sparky's!
Aggie1
AG
http://texags.com/forums/25/topics/2650619/10
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
Not mention negotiating getting into the Quad when they were installing the entrance plaza after a hard night of drinking at Sparky's!
You should have cut across the golf course like a normal drunk.
ABATTBQ87
AG
quote:

Looks good, but over time the canopy of those trees are going to engulf that far light pole
Rock1982
DevilD77
AG
quote:
quote:

Looks good, but over time the canopy of those trees are going to engulf that far light pole
Sounds like a good "fish detail" to keep the branches off the light pole!
12thmanfootball
AG
Thanks for the pics (again), Fitch!
TJJackson
Here are some pics I took yesterday while I was on the job site. I'm not in this area everyday, but I'll try to snap pictures when I get a chance. Full disclosure I work with Utilities and Energy Services but I'm not employed by the University.

74OA
AG
Thanks!
ABATTBQ87
AG
quote:
quote:
740A - I will see to it that we post updated photos on this site from now on. I get an update on the renovations every week, complete with photos, and will ensure we post them on this site as well. Thanks for the recommendation.
Are our weekly photo updates are still on, sir? I know this has been a busy time, but.......
12thmanfootball
AG
I'll second that, Fitch, you got any new ones?
TJJackson
I've got some new ones, but they aren't of the quad. It's water mains being laid in the street behind Duncan if anyone is interested.
TJJackson

Warrior 66
I will post as I get them. We're in the final stages now as we head to July and August, and as I get updates, if they include photos, I will have my folks post. Be patient - its coming together well, and will look great in just a few weeks.
BQ92
AG
Love the updates and the posted photos.
bigplay

aggiejim70
AG
quote:
quote:
What a mess!
Right you are. They did that the spring and summer of '67. The BQ's lived in dorm 7 during the spring semester while (gasp) air conditioning and in room telephones were installed. All that summer I heard OASTH from Old Ags. Even money says that if you go back in the archives of the Battalion you will find articles and letters to the editor *****ing about electric lights, paved streets and indoor plumbing.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
74OA
AG
Thanks.
ABATTBQ87
AG
quote:

That area is going to be boiling hot during August, September and October
Aggie1
AG
Anything to improve the ugliest dorm buildings ever conceived is an improvement...
2004FIGHTINTXAG
Where are the Piss Head blocks?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.