Quad Renovation

29,801 Views | 194 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 2004FIGHTINTXAG
74OA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Where are the Piss Head blocks?
What are PH blocks?
CanyonAg77
AG
PH blocks were extra blocks added to the edge of where the sidewalks were when we were there. About an extra row feet of width. I think it was a PH privilege to walk on them.
ABATTBQ87
AG
quote:
PH blocks were extra blocks added to the edge of where the sidewalks were when we were there. About an extra row feet of width. I think it was a PH privilege to walk on them.

Never heard of that in the 80's
CanyonAg77
AG
Things change. I had no idea what my son '09 was talking about when he mentioned them.
74OA
AG
Pisshead privilege, indeed. <snort>
CharlieBrown17
AG
Yeah I thought that was the dumbest damned thing my fish and PH year. You could always tell which heads thought they were tough **** because they would only walk on the blocks not the other 30 foot of Quad.
Fitch
AG
From Thursday Jul-7:

ABATTBQ87
AG
Thank goodness we can count on Fitch for photos
74OA
AG
I wonder how they'll handle the rain runoff from the completely paved elephant ears?
ChipFTAC01
AG
I really wish they could have modernized and updated Moore and Crocker like that instead of tearing them down.
ABATTBQ87
AG
quote:
I wonder how they'll handle the rain runoff from the completely paved elephant ears?

Isn't there a drainage area between 5 & 7?
74OA
AG
Oh, I'm sure something as basic as drainage has been addressed. I'm just curious what solution they chose to manage the runoff now that most all the grassy areas are paved.
ABATTBQ87
AG
quote:

Are there no longer side doors? If yes does that mean all entrance/egress occurs through end doors?
Warrior 66
All newly renovated dorms have just the end doors and stair towers now. One of the things the cadets wanted when we started this project was bigger bathrooms. To do that, we had to take out the center stair ways and doors. Bathrooms are much bigger now, and all dorms now have washers and dryers on the first floor. I highly recommend you walk through one of the renovated dorms the next time you're on campus to see the changes.

One of the reasons we paved over the "elephant ears" was because they were a drainage nightmare - especially if you lived in dorms 5 and 6. Ankle high water and mud was the norm for those dorms whenever it rained heavily. While I'm no expert at water drainage, the experts have accounted for the water drainage with the newly paved over "elephant ears" so that there will no longer be a problem in dorms 5 and 6 - or any other dorm for that matter.

Part of the reason the center of the Quad was torn up so badly over the past year was that new pipes for hot and chilled water was also being laid for the Quad at the same time as the renovations were beginning. Fiber for wifi and internet and was also being put in at the same time. Currently, the south end of the Quad (dorms 9-12 and the areas around Duncan) is under renovation, including the addition of the new pipes and fiber. This will replace pipes that have been used since the Quad was built in 1939.

I greatly appreciate Fitch providing the pictures he has posted on this thread. They certainly provide a good glimpse of how the Quad is progressing and even how good it will look when its all done. Again, the north end of the Quad - dorms 1 - 8 - will be open this Fall, including the interior of the Quad and the 2 new Leadership Learning Centers (Plank LLC between dorms 2 & 4, and Ash II LLC between dorms 1 & 3). The Corps WILL step off from the Quad for football games this season. The south end of the Quad - dorms 9 - 12 - will be completely renovated this year, and the entire Quad will be complete at the start of the 2017 - 2018 school year.

I look forward to having former students come to the Quad this year to see the many changes to the dorms and the Quad itself. While its taken time, its going to look great when its complete, and I know our cadets are very excited about it - as are we.
74OA
AG
Will the south-end dorms be getting LLCs, too?

Also, you mentioned elsewhere that Haney Drill Field is under consideration for inclusion in the Phase 2 renovation--can you elaborate?
Fitch
AG
This renovation has been a very exciting project to get to watch from the outside. I think once folks are able to get back to town and see the quality of work it will be a home run.

My thanks to the leadership for "going big" with it.
ABATTBQ87
AG
quote:
One of the reasons we paved over the "elephant ears" was because they were a drainage nightmare - especially if you lived in dorms 5 and 6. Ankle high water and mud was the norm for those dorms whenever it rained heavily. While I'm no expert at water drainage, the experts have accounted for the water drainage with the newly paved over "elephant ears" so that there will no longer be a problem in dorms 5 and 6 - or any other dorm for that matter.
There is no way Dorm 6 experienced "ankle high water", as it is the highest elevation on the quad and all water would flow away from it.
Warrior 66
Thanks for sharing your photos, Fitch! Greatly appreciated!

There are already LLCs between dorms 6 & 8 (Buzbee LLC), and dorms 5 & 7 (Ash LLC). Once Plank and Ash II are open in August, that will make 4 LLCs on the Quad. There are currently no plans to build any more, but as we look at future opportunities, more LLCs are certainly not out of the question.

I can't say what will be done with Haney Drill Field at this time, as we are just now beginning the process of looking at "what next" after the current Quad renovations are complete after next year. There are many things we are looking at as possible additions/upgrades to the Quad after the current renovations are complete next year, but it would premature to discuss at this point, as we are just now beginning looking at potential opportunities at this point.

ABATTBQ - I won't argue the point about drainage or anything else with you. Suffice it to say that I am here every day, and have been for the last 5 years. Drainage issues existed for both dorms 5 and 6 when it rained, and while I'm sure you may think otherwise, I have no reason to lie to you or anyone else about that. As I mentioned earlier, the "experts" figured out what it would take to alleviate that situation, and the paving over of the dirt areas known as the "elephant ears" in the center of the Quad was one way to help do that. Like I said before, I hope you'll come to the Quad this fall to see the changes and to see how good the Quad looks now after undergoing the largest renovation since it was first built in 1939.
74OA
AG
quote:
Thanks for sharing your photos, Fitch! Greatly appreciated!

There are already LLCs between dorms 6 & 8 (Buzbee LLC), and dorms 5 & 7 (Ash LLC). Once Plank and Ash II are open in August, that will make 4 LLCs on the Quad. There are currently no plans to build any more, but as we look at future opportunities, more LLCs are certainly not out of the question.

I can't say what will be done with Haney Drill Field at this time, as we are just now beginning the process of looking at "what next" after the current Quad renovations are complete after next year. There are many things we are looking at as possible additions/upgrades to the Quad after the current renovations are complete next year, but it would premature to discuss at this point, as we are just now beginning looking at potential opportunities at this point.

ABATTBQ - I won't argue the point about drainage or anything else with you. Suffice it to say that I am here every day, and have been for the last 5 years. Drainage issues existed for both dorms 5 and 6 when it rained, and while I'm sure you may think otherwise, I have no reason to lie to you or anyone else about that. As I mentioned earlier, the "experts" figured out what it would take to alleviate that situation, and the paving over of the dirt areas known as the "elephant ears" in the center of the Quad was one way to help do that. Like I said before, I hope you'll come to the Quad this fall to see the changes and to see how good the Quad looks now after undergoing the largest renovation since it was first built in 1939.
Thanks!
12thmanfootball
AG
Any way that the WWII museum in Belgium that had the Aggies exhibits gets relocated near the Quad (as the initial plans had it returning to the BCS area)? A perfect location would be somewhere in Spence park between the Association of Former Students and the Presidents home. Haven't heard any updates at all on this.........Fitch, do you know what the plans are for Spence Park these days?
12thmanfootball
AG
http://one.arch.tamu.edu/news/2015/1/12/belgian-war-museum/

Goodbull_19
AG
quote:
Any way that the WWII museum in Belgium that had the Aggies exhibits gets relocated near the Quad (as the initial plans had it returning to the BCS area)? A perfect location would be somewhere in Spence park between the Association of Former Students and the Presidents home. Haven't heard any updates at all on this.........Fitch, do you know what the plans are for Spence Park these days?
Stumbled upon that museum during my Europe trip, had no idea it was even there! An incredible tribute to many heroes of A&M. It was also hilarious to hear the way the Belgians pronounced "Aggie"!
ABATTBQ87
AG
I propose a project for any agricultural, meteorology or engineering students that may read this thread and live in College Station.

Project would be to measure temperatures on the rock paver area vs grass area of the quad.

Place a digital thermometer in the center of the paver area at noon, and in the center of a non shaded grassy area at noon and then take readings at 1pm, 3pm and 5pm for the remainder of July, August and September, and on into the fall if interested.
74OA
AG
When is the Phase I ribbon-cutting?
Federale01
AG
It's looking great. Those pavers are going to make for a hot FOW week, but they look sharp. Hydrate!
BQ92
AG
Gentlemen, with all due respect this thread is about the Quad renovations. While I am also frustrated that the Fightn' Texas Aggje Band does not attend more road games and believe we could be more proactive in making this a reality, I will reserve those comments for a better time & place (different thread).

Now can we get some more pictures please??
74OA
AG
Eh? Nothing about the Band on this thread, is there?
Fitch
AG

TheDoctor
AG
Renovations are looking fantastic! Cannot wait to come see everything in the fall!
Ark03
AG
Here's for those who haven't seen the commandant's post on Facebook yet. Captions are from his post: https://www.facebook.com/tamucommandant/

Looking into the north end of Dorm 2.

The statue of LTG Hollingsworth, "Danger 79," is now at the front of the Quad, just as you enter the arches.

Starbucks at the north end of the Plank LLC, between dorms 2 & 4. Yes, Ol' Army is dead!!

View of the center of the Quad from the stair tower between dorms 2 & 4. Its great to see the flag flying on the new flagpole at the center of the Quad!

Looking down the center of the Quad toward the arches. Ash LLC (between dorms 1 & 3) is on the right, Plank LLC (between dorms 2 & 4) is on the left.

View of the new flagpole at the center of the Quad.

View of dorm 4 from dorm 8. The new pavers are the same as those on Military Walk, and look great!

OldArmy71
AG
Still uncertain about all that paving, but it looks great. I'm glad A&M is investing in the Corps!
TheDoctor
AG
The paving will make it easier to drill, especially teaching fish to drill during FOW. Having to maneuver on uneven sidewalks and around muddy grass was hell. I'm happy the elephant ears are paved. Everything looks great! Happy that Danger 79 is at the front of the Quad. Is the Aggie Ring statue by the arches still as well or was that moved?
ABATTBQ87
AG
quote:
Still uncertain about all that paving, but it looks great. I'm glad A&M is investing in the Corps!
If we could only find someone living in College Station who has access to the quad to do a temperature study measuring the difference between the pavers and the grass
ABATTBQ87
AG
quote:

May want to have those experts water or replace that far left tree
Ark03
AG
quote:
quote:

May want to have those experts water or replace that far left tree
I just reposted the pictures that popped up in my Facebook feed. Other than being a former BQ, I am in no way related to the commandant's office.

I do plan to take my son to a game this fall, so we'll bring a watering can in case it still looks peaky.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.