Quad Renovation

29,586 Views | 194 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 2004FIGHTINTXAG
74OA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have recent photos of construction progress you'd like to post?
Aggie118
AG
I don't have any pictures of it at the moment, but last I saw it is still pretty torn up for the most part. Heard from someone that they're paving it all up, no tree rows, hope it's not true!
74OA
AG
You can see the Quad plan here: New Quad They starting pouring cement for the new walkways and drill squares last year, so it might be done by now. Sure would appreciate a few current photos from a good B/CS Ag..........

Goodbull_19
AG
Just took a picture for y'all... Now only if I knew how to upload it
Goodbull_19
AG

This is the view from one of the Leadership Learning Center, right off of Coke street, attached to dorms 8 and 6.
74OA
AG
Thanks, but there's nothing there....
Goodbull_19
AG
Gosh dangit. I'm a millennial so I really should know how to do this but I do not now how to upload a picture...
74OA
AG
quote:
Gosh dangit. I'm a millennial so I really should know how to do this but I do not now how to upload a picture...
How-To Page
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
I think it's because you tried to hide the photo origin by using "fake url". I suspect the TexAgs profanity filters don't like fake url or tiny url.
rugger74
AG
Fitch posted updates on the construction thread
CanyonAg77
AG
Now your mistake is that you're trying to link a web page as an image. Only put the image location between the (img)(/img) tags.

74OA
AG
Thanks! Hard to believe they'll get Phase I finished on schedule for this August......
Goodbull_19
AG
quote:
Now your mistake is that you're trying to link a web page as an image. Only put the image location between the (img)(/img) tags.

Thanks!
ABATTBQ87
AG
quote:

so is that entire area going to be covered with bricks?
CanyonAg77
AG
Ask Gator19, his photo. I think a heck of a lot is to be paved. I think that's a mistake.
bigtruckguy3500
quote:

so is that entire area going to be covered with bricks?
I believe the commandant posted on another thread stating that it would be bricked/paved over completely. Said something about drainage issues, inability to keep the grass alive, etc.

It looks kind of cool from an aerial view based off the sketches/models posted. But it also looks like it'll turn the quad into an oven in the summer.
Zip 88
We used to play football in the mud there, back in the day.
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
But it also looks like it'll turn the quad into an oven in the summer.
So, any time between February 15 and November 15?
Goodbull_19
AG
From my understanding, the whole thing will be paved in order to be more comparable to the academies. However, I believe I saw on another forum that there will be more trees than there used to be when it's all said and done, so the the idea is that the whole quad will not into an oven.
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
From my understanding, the whole thing will be paved in order to be more comparable to the academies.
I know from experience that USAFA has a huge green area in the middle of the cadet area.

USAFA

I haven't been to West Point, but it looks like the dorm areas have paved courtyards, though a heck of a lot of green elsewhere.

USMA

Annapolis is the same, it appears, paved in the dorm areas, green elsewhere

USNA

VMI appears greener

VMI

And the Citadel is the one I usually think of as totally paved. Looks like inside the dorms, it is.

Citadel
Goodbull_19
Goodbull_19
AG
Never bothered to fact check it, I had just heard that every academy had a big block to form up on, and we didn't.
74OA
AG
quote:
Never bothered to fact check it, I had just heard that every academy had a big block to form up on, and we didn't.
Either way, we're committed now. I think the Quad will look great, particularly when the projected trees mature, and the renovation overall will be a great recruiting tool, too. Check out the last page in the link I posted earlier for a good overview.......
Goodbull_19
AG
I've also heard reports of a rec center on the quad, complete with basketball court.
ABATTBQ87
AG
quote:
quote:
Either way, we're committed now. I think the Quad will look great, particularly when the projected trees mature, and the renovation overall will be a great recruiting tool, too. Check out the last page in the link I posted earlier for a good overview.......
That's been a vision since 1940:

AgBQ-00
AG
Spent a semester at VMI. There is no huge concrete courtyard. They form up on the street between barracks and the parade ground. Between formation and the parade ground is a statue of Stonewall Jackson and his actual favorite cannon: Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. It is very green around VMI.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Dorms and sidewalks built around existing trees:

ABATTBQ87
AG
quote:
We used to play football in the mud there, back in the day.
Started back in 1940

ABATTBQ87
AG
Military Walk, and what the future quad will look like in 50+ years, maybe:

Warrior 66
This is an OLD discussion - argued many times on social media and TexAgs. Here is a synopsis of what is left of the Quad Renovations, due to be complete in August, 2017:

1. The north end of the Quad, dorms 1 - 8, will be completed this August. All 8 dorms completely renovated, 2 new Leadership Learning Centers opened (Plank LLC, between dorms 2 & 4, and Ash II LLC, between dorms 1 & 3), and the interior of the north end of the Quad competed.

2. The statue of Danger 79, LTG Hollingsworth, will be placed at the north end of the center green area of the Quad, so you'll see it as you pass through the arches entering the Quad. The flagpole will be placed at the center of the Quad, where the entire Corps can now see it at formations. When the south end of the Quad is completed in 2017, the Bugle Stand will be placed in the same location it was in, just north of Duncan Dining Hall, in the grassy area in the center of the Quad, between dorms 9 & 10. The area around the Bugle Stand will be upgraded, thanks to donations from the Aggie Band Class of '69.

3. The old "elephant ears," that many have alluded to above, will be paved over - NOT with black asphalt, as some think, but with nice pavers, similar to those on Military Walk. For those who think that the Quad is going to be "hotter than hell," I would ask you to walk down Military Walk. I do regularly, and its no hotter than any other place on campus. These are high quality pavers, and will not only be aesthetically pleasing, but also will bring the design of Military Walk to the Quad and will NOT generate heat, like black asphalt does.

4. There will be many new trees planted - both down the center of the Quad, and also around the newly paved over elephant ears. These will be large oaks, and there will be more of them on the Quad than there were before, when all is said and done.

5. New memorial benches will replace the old ones - similar to those on Military Walk. No more "concrete coffin" benches on the Quad. We'll have high quality benches similar to those on Military Walk. We will also replace all the memorial markers on the Quad, as close to their original location as possible.

6. The Plank LLC will have a Starbucks coffee shop in it. Yes, Ol' Army has died and gone to hell, but our cadets deserve the right to pay $5 for a cup of coffee like everyone else! Its going to make a mint, as its located in an LLC, is close to the bus stop, and will also be open on game days.

All of this will be done by this August, and will be ready for the start of the school year. The Corps will step-off from the Quad again this Fall for football games, and we are excited about that - especially with the newly renovated north end of the Quad. Next year the south end of the Quad will be renovated - dorms 9-12, and hopefully the new Music Activities Center will be started in 2017 to eventually replace the Adams Band Building. Again, the entire Quad will be completely renovated by August, 2017, in time for the start of the 2017-2018 school year.

12 completely renovated dorms, 4 Leadership Learning Centers, new benches, lighting, and landscaping, brand new paving from the arches to Duncan Dining Hall, and yes MORE TREES than we've had before on the Quad. And we won't have to wait 50 years for them to grow - most will be fairly large, mature trees when we get them. This is the biggest renovation/upgrade to the Quad since it was built in 1939, and long overdue, in my opinion. The Corps got left behind as the university modernized, and now its our time to bring the Corps into the 21st century. This renovation will do just that - something our cadets deserve.

I hope this helps clear things up for you. I know the Quad looks bad now. It looks just like a....construction site. For those of you that get the opportunity to come this Fall for a football game, please reserve judgement until you get the chance to see the north end of the Quad completely renovated. I am confident that you'll be as pleased with it as know we will be.

Thanks for your love and support of our Corps! Gig 'em! I hope you all get to attend Aggie Muster somewhere tomorrow night. I'm speaking at the Bay Area Aggie Muster in Clear Lake, if you happen to be in the area!
74OA
AG
quote:
This is an OLD discussion - argued many times on social media and TexAgs. Here is a synopsis of what is left of the Quad Renovations, due to be complete in August, 2017:

1. The north end of the Quad, dorms 1 - 8, will be completed this August. All 8 dorms completely renovated, 2 new Leadership Learning Centers opened (Plank LLC, between dorms 2 & 4, and Ash II LLC, between dorms 1 & 3), and the interior of the north end of the Quad competed.

2. The statue of Danger 79, LTG Hollingsworth, will be placed at the north end of the center green area of the Quad, so you'll see it as you pass through the arches entering the Quad. The flagpole will be placed at the center of the Quad, where the entire Corps can now see it at formations. When the south end of the Quad is completed in 2017, the Bugle Stand will be placed in the same location it was in, just north of Duncan Dining Hall, in the grassy area in the center of the Quad, between dorms 9 & 10. The area around the Bugle Stand will be upgraded, thanks to donations from the Aggie Band Class of '69.

3. The old "elephant ears," that many have alluded to above, will be paved over - NOT with black asphalt, as some think, but with nice pavers, similar to those on Military Walk. For those who think that the Quad is going to be "hotter than hell," I would ask you to walk down Military Walk. I do regularly, and its no hotter than any other place on campus. These are high quality pavers, and will not only be aesthetically pleasing, but also will bring the design of Military Walk to the Quad and will NOT generate heat, like black asphalt does.

4. There will be many new trees planted - both down the center of the Quad, and also around the newly paved over elephant ears. These will be large oaks, and there will be more of them on the Quad than there were before, when all is said and done.

5. New memorial benches will replace the old ones - similar to those on Military Walk. No more "concrete coffin" benches on the Quad. We'll have high quality benches similar to those on Military Walk. We will also replace all the memorial markers on the Quad, as close to their original location as possible.

6. The Plank LLC will have a Starbucks coffee shop in it. Yes, Ol' Army has died and gone to hell, but our cadets deserve the right to pay $5 for a cup of coffee like everyone else! Its going to make a mint, as its located in an LLC, is close to the bus stop, and will also be open on game days.

All of this will be done by this August, and will be ready for the start of the school year. The Corps will step-off from the Quad again this Fall for football games, and we are excited about that - especially with the newly renovated north end of the Quad. Next year the south end of the Quad will be renovated - dorms 9-12, and hopefully the new Music Activities Center will be started in 2017 to eventually replace the Adams Band Building. Again, the entire Quad will be completely renovated by August, 2017, in time for the start of the 2017-2018 school year.

12 completely renovated dorms, 4 Leadership Learning Centers, new benches, lighting, and landscaping, brand new paving from the arches to Duncan Dining Hall, and yes MORE TREES than we've had before on the Quad. And we won't have to wait 50 years for them to grow - most will be fairly large, mature trees when we get them. This is the biggest renovation/upgrade to the Quad since it was built in 1939, and long overdue, in my opinion. The Corps got left behind as the university modernized, and now its our time to bring the Corps into the 21st century. This renovation will do just that - something our cadets deserve.

I hope this helps clear things up for you. I know the Quad looks bad now. It looks just like a....construction site. For those of you that get the opportunity to come this Fall for a football game, please reserve judgement until you get the chance to see the north end of the Quad completely renovated. I am confident that you'll be as pleased with it as know we will be.

Thanks for your love and support of our Corps! Gig 'em! I hope you all get to attend Aggie Muster somewhere tomorrow night. I'm speaking at the Bay Area Aggie Muster in Clear Lake, if you happen to be in the area!
For us far-away former cadets, would it be possible for your staff to post progress photos here from time to time? I know I'd love to see the changes in the Quad and some inside shots of the renovated dorm rooms, too. Many of us who are fully behind the renovation will never get to see the results except online. Thanks in advance......
bigtruckguy3500
quote:

Sir, a couple things on the trees. I'm no expert by any means, and I'm sure you're employing people that know far more than me. But have y'all considered anything besides oak trees? With all the new concrete going down, my concern for oaks is that they tend to destroy side-walks and driveways with their roots, and they're very thirsty trees. The last thing you want is for the concrete around the trees to get eaten up just when the trees are starting to get big and shady. Also, in the fall, they just turn an ugly brown, and then they shed those nasty pollen buds everywhere in the spring.

Not sure what good alternatives for shade trees exist, but I'm sure someone in the horticulture department could offer some alternatives that look better.

Imagine a couple of these mixed in to the trees on the quad:

Just a suggestion.
Warrior 66
740A - I will see to it that we post updated photos on this site from now on. I get an update on the renovations every week, complete with photos, and will ensure we post them on this site as well. Thanks for the recommendation.

BigTruckGuy - I know NOTHING about trees, trust me! We turned the business of trees over to the University Arborist, who determined what trees would have to go, and what trees to plant new on the Quad. I will open the discussion with him to see if any of the trees you have in your pics can be added (do you know what kind they are?). I can't promise you anything, as again, I'm not the expert, but I'll at least ask. Thanks for the suggestion.
74OA
AG
quote:
740A - I will see to it that we post updated photos on this site from now on. I get an update on the renovations every week, complete with photos, and will ensure we post them on this site as well. Thanks for the recommendation.

BigTruckGuy - I know NOTHING about trees, trust me! We turned the business of trees over to the University Arborist, who determined what trees would have to go, and what trees to plant new on the Quad. I will open the discussion with him to see if any of the trees you have in your pics can be added (do you know what kind they are?). I can't promise you anything, as again, I'm not the expert, but I'll at least ask. Thanks for the suggestion.
Exciting times for our Corps! Thanks in advance for the photo updates.....
bigtruckguy3500
It looks like that particular one is called flame of the forest. I just picked that at random. While trees that are more aesthetically pleasing and less messy than oaks would be nice, I think my biggest concern with oaks would be what they do to concrete with their roots and their thirst. And if there's going to be a lot of concrete on the quad, very close to all the new trees, I'd just be scared about damage years down the line. Hoepfully he thought of that though. Thank you for addressing it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.