Serious question regarding the apperance of the Corps

22,932 Views | 131 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CT'97
bigtruckguy3500
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You know, a lot of the current cadets THINK that us old guys don't care about this drill and looking sharp.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Maybe there should be some sort of Cadre system that includes former students/cadets of the 70's & 80's that would reinforce to current cadets that we do care, and that tey should as well.
Moth
Do we get to use axe handles???

Actually that's a awesome idea. I'd volunteer. I was just a random assed two mooner, but we won the Hochmuth and Moore cords my zip year. I do care deeply about the Corps ,their lineage and place at TAMU.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Moth, A Battery wore the Hochmuth cord in 1984-85!
bigtruckguy3500
You know what else? The Corps sucks at making noise during football games, especially the fish. Maybe it'll change with the team getting better, but I had seats by them at a game last year and all they did was talk to each other. Non-reg freshman yell up on third deck, but Corps fish just talk to each other.
HBCanine08
AG
zips need to get smoked by CTOs
Fly Army 97
I'd prefer NCOs.
jh0400
AG
When I was a 'head, I remember our military advisor (c/o '89) coming in to smoke the butts one morning. It looks like we need more like him in the trigon these days.
CGSC Lobotomy
quote:
I remember our military advisor (c/o '89)

MAJ McGee?
jh0400
AG
Reichert
jh0400
AG
Reichert
Tango Mike
LTC Reichert is the PMS at SFA now. LTC Magee is the 5-82 FA BC
CGSC Lobotomy
I remember both of them teaching our ROTC classes my junior and senior year. One of the more interesting classes was the etiquette class taught by Mrs. McGee.
Moth
quote:
Moth, A Battery wore the Hochmuth cord in 1984-85!

Yes and we won it and Moore Parent's Weekend 1985. We kept Moore, F-2 got Hochmuth.

Many of my b.q. buddies were in A Batt.

[This message has been edited by Moth (edited 12/13/2010 11:58a).]
DogCo84
AG
4th Batt (1st BDE...hell, the only BDE back then) basically owned those cords from late 70s thru mid 80s. Dogs, Boozers, Roughriders and Fox (D2, B2, L2 and F2)...seemed to just trade around Hochmuth and Moore. I think the 4th Batt hump-it even mentioned that fact.
CanyonAg77
AG
White Band had Hocmouth in 74-45. Pretty unusual for BQs to win it back then. Big units with few RVs, made it hard to score points.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Moth, did you know the class of 85's James M, Randy P, Glenn E from A Battery?
Moth
quote:
4th Batt (1st BDE...hell, the only BDE back then) basically owned those cords from late 70s thru mid 80s. Dogs, Boozers, Roughriders and Fox (D2, B2, L2 and F2)...seemed to just trade around Hochmuth and Moore. I think the 4th Batt hump-it even mentioned that fact

"4th Batt leads the Corps, General Hochmuth, General Moore. Intramurals, march ins too. If you can't keep up too hell with you!!"

However I always preferred this version.
"4th Batt leads the Corps, General Hochmuth, General Moore. Intramurals, march ins too. If you can't keep up you're in L-2!!"

Dogco84 who are you??? Email me at Hoodm85@yahoo.com

quote:
Moth, did you know the class of 85's James M, Randy P, Glenn E from A Battery?

I sure do. Saw them at the Neb game which was the Class of 85 reunion. James just got home from Bagdad. Glenn is still on the farm, and Randy is still tall and lives in SA. they are three of the best.

[This message has been edited by Moth (edited 12/13/2010 3:38p).]
OlArmy93
AG
I've got a son that is a pisshead this year - from what I have seen, cadet uniforms look as sharp as when I was there in the early '90's. Lot's of squared away cadets, with a few bags thrown in the mix.

What I have noticed, with having attended roughly a dozen march ins, reviews, etc in the past 2 years is that the marching, close order drill, etc in the integrated outfits is noticeably less sharp than in the all male outfits. With the majority of the outfits being integrated these days (1/2 Army, 1/2 Navy/Marine and all of the Air Force outfits), it certainly give the impression that the marching isn't as sharp. I'm not sure if this is due to the stride length difference b/w male and female cadets or if there is another reason, but there is a noticeable difference.

And before anyone points it out, yes, I know BQs are integrated, but as we all know, the band spends a WHOLE lot more time drilling than the Corps and that is nothing new.

Anyway, just my $.02...

Rudder gave every appearance of being an Aggie of the old school, with old-school ties, loyalties, traditions and basic conservatism." - "A Centennial History of Texas A&M", Vol II, pg 556

bigtruckguy3500
OldArmy, I would have to disagree. Two of the sharpest units on the quad that typically fight each other for best drilled are both integrated. I don't want to name specific outfits, but the sloppiest ones that I've seen are all male, and are on the medium to smaller size. They are the ones you'll see chewing gum, no hair cut, slouching, and with wrinkled uniforms during marchins. And while commanders still haven't figured out how to get in step with the outfit infront of them, the biggest issue most of us have is the sloppy way cadets amble down Joe Routt turning and talking to each other instead of maintaining bearing and actually marching.
thann07
AG
Agree with BigTruckGuy. You have to look no further than the Hocmuth award for the past few years to see the proof of that.
Moth
I was in a Hochmuth and a Moore winning outfit in the mid 80's and i'm just gonna say this, the Hochmuth outfit I saw at the La tech game and Neb Game, would of been laughed off the quad. I'm not joking either. I am dead fricking serious, they looked like crap. If that's the best the Corps produces, then i'm really worried.
CGSC Lobotomy
Pretty much the units in contention for Hochmuth are the ones who can properly execute a gate turn.
Jock 07
AG
so what are folks using as undershirts now that all the undershirts don't have tags on them anymore?
jh0400
AG
I didn't make a game this year. I made two last year and was extremely disappointed in the appearance of my outfit when I stopped by their hallway before the march-in. The white belts didn't look too bad, but the pissheads looked terrible. If we had looked that bad going into a march in as 'heads, there would have been a fish-zip fun run Monday morning.
bigtruckguy3500
Jock, they wear regular undershirts, but they look bad. The collars get so stretched out that they look like they're not even wearing an under shirt, and then they've got the undershirt sleeves extending past their B's sleeves. Don't know if they've figured out how to not look like that or not, but last time I was on campus I saw a few fish that looked like that. There were even a few that went the opposite way and it looked like they bought an undershirt so small they were almost wearing a turtleneck.
ABATTBQ87
AG
quote:
Glenn is still on the farm

Is he still wearing his Aggie Band t shirt?
Jock 07
AG
So you can see the stamp tag on their undershirts
TXAggieMom11
Jock - they don't wear the undershirt backwards like they did with the tagged shirts. My Zip son uses a large safety pin on the back of his undershirt to pull it tight. It works fairly well though sometimes I think it pulls the shirt a little high.
ag-bq-seventy
AG
So, to summarize, the Corps ain't the Corps anymore. Is this the price we paid to make A&M a "premier" institution?

I think it was better before. JMHO.
mjpfeffer98
AG
quote:
Watching her do a sit up was like trying to fold a football in half.
Ulysses90
AG
quote:

The real military doesn't pull tucks.

Not with a baseball belt but over the past 20 years in the Marine Corps I've never worn a khaki shirt without using shirt stays and military creases. Granted that upon arriving at Fort Sill as a 2ndLt I realized that neither shirt stays not creases were that fashionable outside the Marine Corps.
bigtruckguy3500
What's interesting is that it's not a fish privilege to have military creases or use shirt stays. Basically making it even harder for them to look sharp.

And it gets them in the habit of rolling their tuck into the seam on their sides, not into the military creases. That's part of the reason they look so bad as upperclassmen.

[This message has been edited by bigtruckguy3500 (edited 12/16/2010 8:36p).]
HBCanine08
AG
I remember having to iron out the military creases on my shirt as fish. I burned a shirt that way.
OlArmy93
AG
Pulling a tuck with a BB belt instead of stays had its reason - sure it makes it harder to look sharp, but it also causes them to learn something about attention to detail...something an 18 year old fish needs to learn.

And I stand by my assertion on integrated outfits - on average, they look less sharp than all male ones. That isn't to say that there aren't exceptions on both sides.

Rudder gave every appearance of being an Aggie of the old school, with old-school ties, loyalties, traditions and basic conservatism." - "A Centennial History of Texas A&M", Vol II, pg 556

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.