Serious question regarding the apperance of the Corps

22,707 Views | 131 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CT'97
CGSC Lobotomy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Our SGAs were a retired Marine Artilleryman and a retired Army Intel Officer. The main one came across as bitter and sarcastic, but seemed to care more about us developing a healthy working relationship with each other than the coursework itself.

There was actually a small group that came to blows last year.

Also, Bill Curtis didn't come speak to y'all did he? If so, I hope he didn't show his special video.
Fly Army 97
Not that I know of. Thought our media panel went quite bad...that was very uncomfortable.

Anyway, glad to have hijacked this thread with ILE.

CGSC Lobotomy
Media panel sucked last year too. Too many print and MSM types that had that "how dare you" attitude when we questioned their relevance.

Previous year there was a guy who tried to ask for the Brazilian reporter's phone number in spanish...she reminded him that they speak Portugese in Brazil.
Mooch98
AG
Okay guys, quit hijacking the thread with CGSC war stories.
CGSC Lobotomy
Feel free to add your own.
jh0400
AG
quote:
Brazilian reporter's

RULE #1
CGSC Lobotomy
Happened before I arrived...and we were not allowed to bring recording devices into the Eisenhower Auditorium.

[This message has been edited by CGSC Lobotomy (edited 12/20/2010 3:22p).]
Mooch98
AG
I'd add my own, but I bailed at the 5 year point. Never made it to the Advanced Course.
jh0400
AG

Close enough.
CGSC Lobotomy
Inez Saenz is Mexican and she is a sports reporter.
jh0400
AG
Hence the "close enough."

hth
CGSC Lobotomy
Looked it up. Her name was Patricia Campos Mello.
aggiejeep93
When I got my guidon magazine I taken back at how fat the corps commander is. Its disgusting that corps allows leaders to look like that. Apparently the corps is failing on all levels.
Aggie 509th
AG
aj93...you ought to go meet that fine young man...he is an absolute professional. Then let him take you on a 10 miler just for fun.
aggiejeep93
Appearence of leadership (good bad indifferent) is important i am not questioning his professionalism, as a leader the way you look sets the example. I will be standing by for my 10 mile run.
bigtruckguy3500
Keim is legit. He was FDT and is a Marine Corps contract. He is incredibly helpful and respectful. He does have a little pudge in the belly, but he is in shape.
Fly Army 97
"Appearence of leadership (good bad indifferent) is important"

The more time I spend in the military, the more I find this trait a poor indicator of leadership potential.
Hman13
My female buddy does everything we do. I have no problem with her, but I know a couple of females that should be kicked out for being wider than they are tall.

That said, there are way too many guys in the corps who just don't care and look worse than many females. I think it's less of females in the corps and more of the bulls pandering to the extremely reactionary parents. Funny thing is that the kids who go and cry to their mommy about doing 20 pushups are males. Most of my problems this semester have arisen from males and not females (though there are plenty of females that can't even finish the Corps APFT run).

My low quarters are glassed out. Everytime I put on bravos, they are better than standard - same with all my other pieces of uniform. I actually refuse to go out and train freshmen if anything on my uniform or in my room does not exceed the standard. Lead by example is something that's always been hammered into my head. Can't say the same for some people. I know that old Ags look at my uniform - I'm a representative of the corps and trying to show that there is still hope left.

I have tried to impart this to my freshmen - it seems that it stuck, as my 4 fish did not receive one cut on GM in either their holes or on their uniforms, but every other fish did.

If I'm tooting my own horn too much, I'm sorry. I just think that y'all have seen some of the d-bags and lazy lardo's and not some of the cadets that care.

Cadet laziness is partly to blame. I think it's risen from ridiculous oversight from the bulls. Leadership doesn't want to do anything revolutionary so that they can maintain at least some semblance of control over their outfit and not have a bull run it. I do see genuine laziness, though, and it's not coming from leaders. Not to mention, there isn't nearly as much discipline because we can't smoke fish for very long at all, which carries over to pisshead, butt, and then zip year, where it just permeates down the classes and we wind up where we are today. But in the end, I see the root of the problem in overly-zealous and overcontrolling bulls
CGSC Lobotomy
The Commandant can do a lot to curb the micromanagement by the bulls just by putting boot to ass on the Senior Cadet Trainer (is it still Col. Groves?). However, if the VP of student affairs overrules him, there's little he can do.

While MajGen Hopgood's goal was to make our Corps more like the academies, it seems that Van Alstyne tried to put it into practice.
aggiejeep93
how you look is a sign of discipline its as simple as that. hman13 raises some interesting points as well but as a cadet relying on higher to enforce the standard is incorrect as we do in the military and use nco's to enforce the expectations and regulations. the corps needs to man up and start enforcing height weight standards or some form of a body composition program. when a young man or woman looks to their leader they want a stud and how you look does matter.
Old Animal
AG
Back to some points on the original thread regarding uniforms, sharpness,leadership, integration... We were told in '77 as fish that "Old Army is dead", we looked upon our seniors as being bigger than life, and we would do pretty much anything to stand good in their eyes. They were mentors, but not our friends. Our pissheads and juniors did not help us move into our rooms, we were dropped off by our parents with our foot locker and maybe saw them once a semester. We knew that if one of us screwed up during the day that the CO would find out or the First Butt would find out, etc. and before formation and certainly after we would all find out. The problem or issue would not happen again. We were taught not to let each other down, and certainly not the outfit. The wags lived in Dorm 1 with civilian girls, we maintained our standards and they did theirs, and you would not be seen whipping out, etc. If we did not take care of our uni's our fish buddies would let us know, or sophomores did, etc. again, the problem did not happen again. We ran our ass**** off, whether it was a Company run,or whether the PH's took us out for PT, earning Corps Brass, etc,training for Bloody Cross, etc. We had some hefties, but they held there on and made it through. Some of the stuff we did for "good bull" needed to go away and did, such as using the axe handle to an extreme on some while dropping handles, spelling out each letter of someone's name...but the Corps has had to become more politically correct, unforturnately to the detriment of military bearing, etc. The Corps pretty much ran itself, with the Trigon stepping in as needed, but Corps leadership ran a tight ship,you can tell the difference.
ArmyAg2002
AG
The military has changed, and the Corps had to change along with it. I agree that looking sharp in your uniform is part of showing that a cadet is well disiplined, but this crap about female cadets not being integrated into the units is BS. When I first showed up at A&M I thought being in an integrated unit (no matter how barley integrated, was a bad idea) but I learned to deal with it. Of my female fish buddies we had one that couldn't cut it and was always half assing things, but I had male fish buddies that were the same. Both male and female either had to fall in line or get out and that's what happened. Of the two that were left they were some of the shapest cadets around,and became fine officers. As I said when I got to A&M I thought an integrated unit was a bad idea, but the military has changed and A&M has had to too. When I got to WOCS, we had female officer canidates with us, when I got to flight school, we had female officers learning to fly right alongside the men. In a day and age that sees the US military allowing gays to serve openly and is considering allowing women into combat arms, the Corps must change or we will be left behind and no longer be one of the nation's finest officer producing programs and instead be relegated to being just another rotc.

[This message has been edited by ArmyAg2002 (edited 1/9/2011 2:25p).]

[This message has been edited by ArmyAg2002 (edited 1/9/2011 2:27p).]
CAVGrunt97
AG
CGSC, you have been clearly marked by visions of men in blue panties......

I am not nor have I ever been a fan of the suck strap but I wore it while I was a cadet: shirt stays are for chicks (they look like the stocking holders in Victoria Secret). Appearance is a sign of discipline and does need to be enforced but y'all are kidding yourselves if you think new army is different than old army. There were fatty bo blatties in the corps when I graduated in 97 and there still are, no big shocker there. And D&C... the corps teetered on the edge of barely calling it that. As a former NCO while in the corps I was generally appalled and amused at best by the capabilities of Aggie cadets to do D&C. C'mon.

We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well, and live!
aggiejeep93
D&C is not the problem. It is the overall enforcement of standards. By looking at the corps the outfits do need a bull in there being more nosey and fixing the problem because obviously the cadets are not rectifying the situation. Its obvious that the discipline in the corps is lacking (and no more smokings do not fix the problem). By just looking at it the corps lacks proactive leadership and self-policing.
GeorgiAg
AG

[This message has been edited by GeorgiAg (edited 1/24/2011 12:48p).]
CGSC Lobotomy
quote:
and is considering allowing women into combat arms

Don't expect that to go far. Here's why:

1. The number of females that are physically capable of performing to standard in 11 and 19-series jobs is not large enough to dictate separate billeting facilities at basic...unless they want to LOWER the standards yet again. To be fair, there are a significant number of males who can't perform to those standards either.

2. Instinctively, if a male and a female are both injured in the same attack, their buddy, who is male, will instinctively help the female first...even if she is only slightly injured and the male Soldier is critically injured. Mother Nature doesn't change the way she works just because you have a D by your name in Congress.

3. Multiple studies have shown that integrating basic training has increased the number of injuries and incidents involving females. The Marines have done this the right way, to their credit...males and females are segregated through basic, both recruits and drill sergeants.
deloren000
OK Moth, I want to be in the Corps Of Cadets and looking into history it shows that the Corps was close to the actual military but never directly copied it. So with that when the Military changed so did the Corps and well as the law that gives women rights to be in college. With that law/right women are allowed to be in the Corps of Cadets as long as they are enrolled within Texas A&M University. I'm sorry to say this but you are being selfish and an ass to the new rules and regulations and don't know how to accept change. Our wold is changing and with that so does Texas A&M. We may keep traditions but some things MUST change. Thank you for your patience and time reading this.

I bid you adieu.
CT'97
AG
deloren000 said:

OK Moth, I want to be in the Corps Of Cadets and looking into history it shows that the Corps was close to the actual military but never directly copied it. So with that when the Military changed so did the Corps and well as the law that gives women rights to be in college. With that law/right women are allowed to be in the Corps of Cadets as long as they are enrolled within Texas A&M University. I'm sorry to say this but you are being selfish and an ass to the new rules and regulations and don't know how to accept change. Our wold is changing and with that so does Texas A&M. We may keep traditions but some things MUST change. Thank you for your patience and time reading this.

I bid you adieu.
You created a new account and used your first post to address an 8 year old thread?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.