Gun store question

4,072 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by TX AG 88
Psycho Bunny
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What gun stores do y'all, that live in San Antonio area recommend? My sister in law is looking for a gun store to go to and I'm not familiar with the area, since I live in the Montgomery area.

Which stores, who to talk to, any help will be greatly appreciated.
UnderoosAg
AG
Durys
Nagle
Academy (can be cheaper)
Mission Ridge (haven't been in a while) and Range USA (wife was gonna get a membership there but we haven't had a chance) both have indoor ranges and rent guns to try out.
An L of an Ag
AG
Am a Mission Ridge member for a few years now. Great place to shoot. Nice assortment of any firearm you care to buy.

Can recommend South Texas Guns for retail only.
RoadkillBBQ
Bracken Guns
Burdizzo
AG
I have three good guns stores near me but my experiences have not been without issue.

Nagle - great store, but so busy it is hard to get anyone to talk to you. I wandered around in there for 30 minutes one day, and never once had any staff ask if I needed help. I wasn't in the market and was mostly browsing, but still

Ranger Firearms on Austin Highway has good knowledgeable staff, but I got frustrated with their gunsmith. I took a rifle in there that I won in a raffle. I bought a Vortex scope from them and had them mount it. Took three months. Every time I called they said he had not gotten to it yet. I finally went in there prepared to just tell them to give it back. It took 15 minutes, and they finally found it covered in dust with the scope mounted on it. I guess it had been done all along, and they lost track of it.

Durys. Very convenient for me and have done a lot of business with them, particularly NFA transfers. Very good service. That said, I bought a used Remington 11-87 from them a couple of years ago. Right away I had issues with it cycling properly. They "warranty everything they sell", but I didn't want to just give it back to them and tell them "it didn't work". After a little troubleshooting on my part I found several parts missing along with a gun they was very dirty. By that point I had fixed it myself. That was disappointing. If I ever buy another used gun there or anywhere else, I plan to disassemble it on the counter just to see if they clean anything before they put it on the rack.
Psycho Bunny
Thanks for the info everyone, ill be sure to pass it along to my sister in law.

She's new to the area and looking for a place to do business.
DargelSkout
AG
I've bought from Nagles and Dury's. Nagles is less customer friendly, but they have a huge selection of firearms.

I prefer Dury's, but I did have an issue recently. I bought at O/U shotgun and two new chokes. They sold me the wrong chokes for that shotgun. I live an hour away but work in SA often. So it wasn't a huge issue to take them back when I was in town.
lp01
AG
I may have to ask you how you fixed your 11-87 from Dury's. I bought the same gun from them used, problems cycling, and then when I cleaned it it was super dirty.
DW91AG95
AG
I believe South Texas Guns is permanently closed.
Jason_InfinityRoofer
I'm going to suggest Dury's. I'm a gun fanatic and generally do all of my own builds and work but I did buy a rifle off of a Texag member and when I went to replace the scope I noticed a screw on the base was loose and wouldn't tighten. Rather than buying a tap, I stopped and took the whole thing in. Also, the one piece base would not seat my scope quite right. One of The smiths there took it all off, ran a tap to clean the threads and said that one of the screws just stripped. Since the base didn't work right with my scope anyway, they sold me a new two piece base, mounted my scope for my son and bore sighted. They did not charge me for the smith work, which probably isn't a big deal but I appreciated that. I looked at guns while they were working on it.
Burdizzo
AG
lp01 said:

I may have to ask you how you fixed your 11-87 from Dury's. I bought the same gun from them used, problems cycling, and then when I cleaned it it was super dirty.

I will post pictures later this week. Several common issues, mostly related. Make sure the gas ports on the barrel are clean. Mine were. There is a round spring clip associated with those ports, and if it is not in place it won't cycle lighter loads. Then there is a retainer that helps hold the spring in place. If that is not there the spring will move around and cause the cycling problem. That is what happened to mine. That retainer was missing. I noticed it tends to stick to the fore stock during disassembly and then fall out. I suspect that happened to the previous owner. It is a discontinued part, and I bought one from a gun parts place in Connecticut.
Max06
AG
Area of town will matter a lot. Nardis has been pretty good in my experience and they have several around town.
An L of an Ag
AG
Is it?? Wow, I didn't know that. Hadn't been there in months, mainly because I don't often shop in that area. That's too bad, I've never had a bad experience with them.
wadd96
AG
I drive from Bryan to Dury's. Lifetime warranty is worth it.o. also, Aggie on an operated.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
SanAntoneAg
AG
I've been here since 1980.

Kind of depends what you are wanting to buy in order to give you a good answer.

That being said, I'd hit up Academy first.

A quality firearm won't need a lifetime warranty unless you beat the crap out of it.
Gig 'em! '90
F4GIB71
I bought one from Nagles and a couple at Armed in America in Bulverde. I like AinA. It's been several years since I looked at any firearm at Academy. Don't know if they've changed, but used to have trigger guards on everything. Can't imagine buying any firearm without feeling the trigger.
wadd96
AG
With their draconian measures, it will never buy another firearm at academy. I will shop iat Dury"s and Nardis only. And yes, I will drive from Brian to shop. Usually paired with some family business I need to attend to.
Burdizzo
AG
wadd96 said:

With their draconian measures, it will never buy another firearm at academy. I will shop iat Dury"s and Nardis only. And yes, I will drive from Brian to shop. Usually paired with some family business I need to attend to.

Which draconian measures did I miss? The ammo rationing? Last time I bought a firearm at academy was 2020.
SW AG80
AG
I like Buck & Dos out 281 N.
Canyon99
Ranger Firearms is my preferred shop in SA because I can see my F250 from inside the store while shopping. The others give me concerns that it will be stolen while I am inside.
AG
Drive out to Hondo and see Mumme's new gun room, great selection and staff.

https://www.mummesinc.com/newgunroom
Burdizzo
AG
lp01 said:

As promised, more descriptions with pictures.

1. Most common issue with these guns seems to be fouling of these gas ports on the barrel that prevents the gas from operating the cycle. Make sure these are good and clean. I use a tip cleaner for an acetylene torch,

2. This ring at the end of my thumb is actually a spring that covers two port. Make sure it is in place and covering the ports I have arrows pointing to.
Correct position

The spring is not in the proper position in the photo below.

3. This retainer was not with my gun. It sometimes sticks with the stock during disassembly. This part holds the spring in place shown in 1 above. If it isn't there, that spring may move around. Don't lose this piece. You can't get it from Remington.

The photo below shows it installed.

4. Finally, make sure all the o-rings are in good shape and these pistons move freely.

lp01
AG
Thank You for taking the time to do that and post the pics!!! This shotgun has driven me crazy since I bought it. I pulled mine apart the other day and all looks like it's in working order, but was super dirty when I bought it. I've never cleaned those ports and that might do it. Looking at other sites it may only run well using high brass.
Burdizzo
AG
That was the issue I had. It would only cycle heavier loads. Dove and target loads didn't work well
lp01
AG
Wanted to update. Did everything you said and went bird hunting yesterday. Ran some Federal high brass, and the shotgun performed flawlessly for the first time since I've had it. Thanks for the write up and pics. It was a huge help.
Burdizzo
AG
Glad I was able to help.
wadd96
AG
I've bought so reond 20 guns with Dury's. Only had one problem with a gun from there. Sling post came out on .223 Vanguard. They has it back to in a week.

Plus, they are Ags...
Burdizzo
AG
Speaking of gun stores, does anyone know why Nagels thought was a good idea? Seems like all it did was piss off the neighbors. (Proposed changing name of the street next to the shop)

https://sanantonioreport.org/nagels-gun-shop-street-name-change-el-mio-drive-bang-bang-bar/

https://sanantonioreport.org/nagels-gun-shop-el-mio-drive-request-update-memorial-designation/

SoTxAg
AG
Saw Nagle withdrew its application, and fwiw i've bought from Adelbridge and Drury and had good experiences at both.
TX AG 88
AG
It's Dury's and that's where you should go.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.