we ever gettin another professional sports team ?

5,857 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by HowdyTexasAggies
aggie_fan13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bout time we get an nfl or at least mlb team
some men you just cant reach ...
fido00
AG
No way will SA ever get an NFL team. Why would Jerry give up a significant constituency?
aggie_fan13
AG
since when is jerry Jones the end all be all of nfl expansion teams ?
some men you just cant reach ...
Picard
AG
azulAg said:

You must be new here.....

LCE
AG
He's always been the decider of expansion teams in Texas.
aggie_fan13
AG
Obviously I'm ignorant on the politics of the nfl
LCE
AG
Kind of like the Aggies would not want another Texas school in the SEC-Dallas and Houston would not want another NFL team in Texas. I'm just guessing
Burdizzo
AG
azulAg said:

When there are 32 franchises in the NFL and yours is the most valuable franchise for 12 consecutive years the other franchises also value your opinion. This is already an NFL town with all the Cowboys jerseys. Adding a franchise here would only cannibalize an existing fan base, and Jerry Jones stands the most to lose.

Nelson Wolff would give up his lumpy son to get a MLB team to this town, but that would probably have to be an expansion team. I don't think MLB is looking at expansion right now
The Lurker
AG
azulAg said:

bout time we get an nfl or at least mlb team
Maybe if raise taxes and build a stadium they will come. We can call it the Alamo Dome... oh wait...
O'Doyle Rules
AG
No. SA will always be little brother to Houston , Dallas, and a lot of the times Austin.
aggie_fan13
AG
Austin ?
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Pros want corporate money, SAT doesn't have enough. Austin will get one before SAT. Jerry will never allow it for NFL in either city and neither will the spurs in SAT unless they get a piece of the action.
BennyBlancoFromTheBright
AG
Is there a professional parade league/circuit??? San Antonio might be good at that.
BigfootYancey
AG
LigaMX
Redstone
AG
Problem is not just Jerry.

Main issue is lack of big corporate entities with an HQ presence.
TX AG 88
AG
azulAg said:

Austin ?

I don't know what the other poster had in mind regarding that comment, but one area I feel this is true is band tour schedules. Seems like many big names stop in Austin and skip S.A.
aggie_fan13
AG
I think that's given because of the demographics of austin and it's general vibe, the city is all about live music . San Antonio ain't
Burdizzo
AG
TX AG 88 said:

azulAg said:

Austin ?

I don't know what the other poster had in mind regarding that comment, but one area I feel this is true is band tour schedules. Seems like many big names stop in Austin and skip S.A.

It used to be the other way around, especially for metal bands.
aggie_fan13
AG
I believe it SA has always been a rock city
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
azulAg said:

I believe it SA has always been a rock city
That's because of the cement quarries.

No way we get NFL (thank God) and Wolff is still blathering on about a new baseball park. Wish he would take a foulball to the nuts and just go away unless he wants to pay for it.

We should focus more time on finalizing streetcars downtown and adding more scooters.
LawHall88
AG
Burdizzo said:

azulAg said:

When there are 32 franchises in the NFL and yours is the most valuable franchise for 12 consecutive years the other franchises also value your opinion. This is already an NFL town with all the Cowboys jerseys. Adding a franchise here would only cannibalize an existing fan base, and Jerry Jones stands the most to lose.

Nelson Wolff would give up his lumpy son to get a MLB team to this town, but that would probably have to be an expansion team. I don't think MLB is looking at expansion right now
I bet the Tampa Bay Rays move sometime in the next few years, but I doubt they would come here.
Burdizzo
AG
LawHall88 said:

Burdizzo said:

azulAg said:

I bet the Tampa Bay Rays move sometime in the next few years, but I doubt they would come here.

They should move to Clearwater and play in the new Scientology Stadium.
expresswrittenconsent
LawHall88 said:

Burdizzo said:

azulAg said:

They're in a pretty tough lease in that crappy bldg through 2027.
AggieMD95
AG
Burdizzo said:

azulAg said:

I get it. What I don't understand is why this doesn't apply to Florida California and New York. All support 3 nfl teams easily. And the. Ohio n Pennsylvania have two each and they're much smaller states
Burdizzo
AG
I have a theory that if it were not for Uncle Sam, San Antonio would probably look more like Seguin or Laredo. That is to say, about about 100 years ago this town went all in on any and all funding they could get from the federal government. From entitlements and handouts to the US Military, this town runs on federal dollars, and the local leadership is pretty indifferent to big commerce. Without that you won't see a stadium with lots of luxury boxes, and without the luxury boxes you won't see a pro sports team. USAA, Frost Bank, and Rack Space aren't enough.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Burdizzo said:

I have a theory that if it were not for Uncle Sam, San Antonio would probably look more like Seguin or Laredo. That is to say, about about 100 years ago this town went all in on any and all funding they could get from the federal government. From entitlements and handouts to the US Military, this town runs on federal dollars, and the local leadership is pretty indifferent to big commerce. Without that you won't see a stadium with lots of luxury boxes, and without the luxury boxes you won't see a pro sports team. USAA, Frost Bank, and Rack Space aren't enough.

I think your theory is fact unfortunately, only thing I would add is that this city loves to sell itself for low cost labor (call center haven)
aggie_fan13
AG
Fair enough
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
OlSarge92 said:

Burdizzo said:

I think your theory is fact unfortunately, only thing I would add is that this city loves to sell itself for low cost labor (call center haven)

And the second biggest money maker are transient hotel visitors (conventions). They won't be going to games consistently.
Burdizzo
AG
Yes, I failed to mention tourism as the other big industry in this town. Every time a new hotel goes in downtown we hear about all the jobs it creates. I always have to ask how many more housekeeping and restaurant jobs this city needs when Austin is adding jobs that require a college education.

Grand Hyatt was around 34 stories. The new Frost Bank building is around 24.
The Lurker
AG
Well to answer your question the minor league hockey team has now left the city. So...
Burdizzo
AG
The Lurker said:

Well to answer your question the minor league hockey team has now left the city. So...

...so let's go all in and build a state of the art baseball stadium to attract a team. What could wrong?

Signed,
Henry Cisneros
SW AG80
AG
Didn't Austin just get a MLS team instead of SA, and both were bidding on it. SA can only support the Spurs. Like has been said, not enough corporate money. And, not enough individuals willing to buy season tickets.
rwtxag83
AG
Burdizzo said:

Yes, I failed to mention tourism as the other big industry in this town. Every time a new hotel goes in downtown we hear about all the jobs it creates. I always have to ask how many more housekeeping and restaurant jobs this city needs when Austin is adding jobs that require a college education.

Grand Hyatt was around 34 stories. The new Frost Bank building is around 24.

The biggest industry is Human Medicine. It's got a huge footprint here that is deep, wide, and varied, but not much in the way of corporate HQs.

Government is a double edged sword. Very stable, especially in the times when the bulk of the country hits economic downturns, but it limits new growth and new fresh ideas and entrepreneurs like you have in the other big 3 cities in TX.

Recent college graduates don't have the same opportunity here as in Houston or Dallas. They compete here with recent military retirees who have more experience and are willing to work for less than a 23 year old with college debt, so the young brain trust leaves here in too large overall numbers to benefit a city that is normally this size. It's better now than 20-30 years ago, but still lags. City officials and Chamber of Commerce folks are working on ways to change city infrastructure to make it more tech company/worker attractive.

Personally, I think the base is already big enough to support an NFL franchise. It's certainly already more viable than several of the smaller market current NFL towns. Just because we could make it work doesn't mean Jerruh would let it happen. Question is, how do you take on Jerruh and win? It's a tough one with few good answers.
Greater love hath no man than this....
p_bubel
Quote:

It's certainly already more viable than several of the smaller market current NFL towns.
Just out of my own curiosity:

Pittsburgh, PA - 2,356,285

San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX - 2,142,508

Cincinnati-Middletown, OH-KY-IN - 2,130,151

Cleveland-Elyria-Mentor, OH - 2,077,240

Kansas City, MO-KS - 2,035,334

Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill, NC-SC - 1,758,038

Indianapolis-Carmel, IN - 1,756,241

Nashville-Davidson--Murfreesboro--Franklin, TN - 1,589,934

Jacksonville, FL - 1,345,596

New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner, LA - 1,167,764

Buffalo-Niagara Falls, NY - 1,135,509

Obviously there are other factors beside metro population, but I thought I would look it up.
rwtxag83
AG
Excellent examples.

I don't buy that SA doesn't have a more viable economic base than several of these cities. I don't think there's any question we could support an NFL franchise.
Greater love hath no man than this....
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.